Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 11-06-2005, 07:53 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X3
Programming the remote key for my X3 2004

First , I am a new member of this forum, hopefully I would be able to help others in the future.

I am looking for the instructions on how to program the remote key for keyless entry and starting the vehicle, now I have only one original working key.

Thanks
Ads by Google
Old 11-06-2005, 08:05 AM
Graham

Mein Auto: 2004 645i Coupe
Have you looked in the owner's manual? If the instructions are not there, I think you will have to go to the dealer and have the service department do it. For some reason only they can do certain functions.
Also be perpared for a sticker shock when you order your replacement keys. I think they are hand made in the Black Forest by elves and are pretty expensive. Seriously, I think they do have to come from the factory
Old 11-06-2005, 09:33 AM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
if you want to program key/vehicle memory settings, that will have to be done at your local dealer. If you want replacement or additional keys, that also has to be ordered through ur dealer and it will cost a lot since they have to order it from BMW.

It's probably just me, but I've never gotten the vehicle/key memory to work 100% of the time. It usually doesnt matter since its just the climate control and seat memory (we dont have DRL or things like that)
Old 11-06-2005, 02:29 PM

Desastre

This car is a desaster for me, there are no BMW dealer over here, they only have representant.

My father have an X5 2004,
Las time , because he replace the battery, the car won't start at all, it cost him 3000 us to get it to start by the BMW representant.

If there is no power ( No battery ) you will be able to open only the driver side door only not even the trunck.

This is way too hard to have a spare key for a so much expensive car.

Since I have purchased those KEYS elsewhere I will try to bring them to the dealer to see if they can program them for me.

I start to hate this car now.

Sorry.
Old 11-06-2005, 04:14 PM
Officially Welcomed to The 'Fest!

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by belg04
This car is a desaster for me, there are no BMW dealer over here, they only have representant.

My father have an X5 2004,
Las time , because he replace the battery, the car won't start at all, it cost him 3000 us to get it to start by the BMW representant.

If there is no power ( No battery ) you will be able to open only the driver side door only not even the trunck.

This is way too hard to have a spare key for a so much expensive car.

Since I have purchased those KEYS elsewhere I will try to bring them to the dealer to see if they can program them for me.

I start to hate this car now.

Sorry.
I can see why you're unhappy with BMW, but didn't your father's experience give you the clue that maybe BMW didn't have good service where you live?

But wait a minute: There are no BMW dealers in Ottawa??

Belg04 Profile:

. . .
What I drive:
BMW X3

From a search I see 15 in the Province of Ontario and two in Ottawa - Elite BMW and Otto's. Tres etrange, n'est ce pas? ??

Last edited by Malibubimmer; 11-06-2005 at 06:22 PM.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:58 AM

I am in Ottawa for3 week and back to Africa , where we are in a mission.

We' ve purchased the two car about the same time and 3 Nissan Xtera for the other staffs, originally I had 2 good keys and one valet key, now I have only 1 good key and the valet key.

During shipping , we'd emptied the gas tank and disconnect the battery, when we get there mine (X3) will start but not the X5.

The BMW representant over here ( Mechanical LLoyd ) charge 3000 US to to get the X5 Started.

The representative can order a key for me in germany for a total of 800 us, I was try to solve this issue at lower cost.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:41 PM
Officially Welcomed to The 'Fest!

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by belg04
I am in Ottawa for3 week and back to Africa , where we are in a mission.

We' ve purchased the two car about the same time and 3 Nissan Xtera for the other staffs, originally I had 2 good keys and one valet key, now I have only 1 good key and the valet key.

During shipping , we'd emptied the gas tank and disconnect the battery, when we get there mine (X3) will start but not the X5.

The BMW representant over here ( Mechanical LLoyd ) charge 3000 US to to get the X5 Started.

The representative can order a key for me in germany for a total of 800 us, I was try to solve this issue at lower cost.
That explains it. It sounds like a dealer is ripping you off. It might be cheaper to take a BMW mechnic back with you to Africa.

One weakness of these highly computerized cars is that it is very difficult (and expensive) to fix a lot of the problems that are bound to arise. Most of us can invoke our rights under the warranty but it seems as if you cannot. You may have to consider seriously whether you want to keep such a complicated car in an area where there are no BMW dealers.