Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series

6 Series
The BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 11-07-2005, 12:03 PM
Anything is possible!

Mein Auto: 07 550i, 08 M5
Notice a few glitches in the 650i

Dealer let me borrow a brand new 650i for the weekend. Awesome car, I must say (and the wait is just agonizing!) I did notice a couple of glitches and though they were not annoying, I am begin to wonder if these bugs would get fixed before I take delivery of my 650i in December 2005.

1. iDrive screen locked up when I pushed the PDC button to turn off the PDC display as soon as the engine was turned on. The iDrive screen just got stuck and I couldn't move off of it. Had to turn off the engine, pulled out the key, and restarted, then everything was working again. I didn't try to replicate the problem to see if it could be duplicated.

2. I was listing to an FM station prior to turning off the engine. Upon re-entering the car, I turned on the engine and it started playing a song from the CD changer. However, I couldn't fast forward to another track (next or previous) using the steering wheel. As soon as I push the iDrive button, the screen showed the FM station again and the audio immediately switched to the FM radio. Weird.

3. I did notice the "brake grabbing" feeling as mentioned by Malibubimmer and other folks from this board and RoadFly. I couldn't get the car to stop at the light as smoothly as I could with my old X5's. The 650i had 880 miles when I drove it off the dealer lot.

Nevertheless, after 2 days with the car, I fell completely in love with it. I now know exactly what other owners are talking about... Now only if they could speed up the build process so I could get it delivered sooner...

Last edited by IFly650i; 11-07-2005 at 12:05 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 11-07-2005, 12:15 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X6M
Maybe I am lucky thusfar, but I haven't had any of those problems with my 650i Coupe. Hallelujah!

(Pardon my religious experience. I lived with an early 745.)

2014 BMW X6 ///M | SpaceGray/BlackPerforatedFullMerino/CarbonLeather
2014 BMW 328xi Touring M-Sport | GlacierSilver/BlackDakota/DarkBurlWalnut
2014 BMW X6 35i M-Perf | TitaniumSilver/BlackNappa/DarkBamboo [wife's ride]

BMW HISTORY | '13 650xiGC, '12 650xi, '11 535xi, '11 X6 50i, '09 750i, '09 328xiT, '08 650i, '07 750i, '07 X5 4.8i, '06 650i, '05 745i, '05 325xiT, '03 745i, '02 745i, '01 325Cic, '01 X5 4.4i, and on...
Old 11-07-2005, 12:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 650i convertible
I Fly- when did you place your order? (I'm waiting too!)

FYI- Last weekend I got to drive a 650i convert., but only for 15-20 minutes. No electronic glitches and brakes were fine.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:19 PM
Anything is possible!

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Smith
I Fly- when did you place your order? (I'm waiting too!)

FYI- Last weekend I got to drive a 650i convert., but only for 15-20 minutes. No electronic glitches and brakes were fine.
Order was placed on 10/26. Vehicle was in 150 status on 11/1. Expected delivery sometime in Dec 2005.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:20 PM
///M for Motor Sports!

Mein Auto: No More 6 Series
Red face Grabbing Brakes...

Uh Oh,

I hope I do not come across this with my new 650i coming in...

I might as well stay with the 645Cic I have...

Hmmmm

GMAN

2008 Alpine White, Portland Brown ///M5 (SMG)
2008 Alpine White, Fox Red ///M3 (6MT)
2008 Sapphire Black, Black 750Li
Old 11-07-2005, 01:32 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 645Ci
I have had no issues with my 645. However, reading all the posts, it is tempting to upgrade software for one feature or another. Most likely I won't upgrade software since I enjoy a very stable car and all the features work as expected.

I do suspect that some of the 650 owners maybe be experiencing a corrupted software install.

The symptoms are too varied and strange to conclusively say there is any type of defect. This coupled with the fact most 645/650 owners have never had issues.

All software has bugs, and depending on the person, some bugs will go by unoticed.
Old 11-07-2005, 04:25 PM

Mein Auto: 750i
I took delivery of a new 645 on Nov 2 - and its been iDrive issues galore. I think some of these cars are simply more prone to software issues than others. The first day we had it the iDrive registered a problem with the airbags. After two days in the shop we picked it up and later that day the iDrive went blank - never to be heard from again.

I've tried rebooting the iDrive - letting the car sit - driving it around. Nothing - just a black screen. Nothing registers on the screen at all - at any time.

I'm taking it in tomorrow morning. Its been a real pain - you don't realize how much of the car is tied to the iDrive until you don't have it.

[His] 2006 750i Sport - Jet Black, 21" wheels, premium sound, luxury seating, convenience, comfort access, Sirius (Jet)
[Hers] 2008 650i - Metallic Black, Sports, Prem Sound, HUD, HD Radio, Cold Weather, Sirius (Shiloh)

Moved on from:
2005 645Ci (Ava)
2004 545i (Chief)
2002 330i (Kira)
1998 528i (Slick)
1999 540i (Sly)
Old 11-07-2005, 05:14 PM
Living a dream!

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by XZLR8
Maybe I am lucky thusfar, but I haven't had any of those problems with my 650i Coupe. Hallelujah!

(Pardon my religious experience. I lived with an early 745.)
Same here.. ZERO issues to report on my 650..
Old 11-07-2005, 05:22 PM
Officially Welcomed to The 'Fest!

Mein Auto:
Re-Boot

Credit - try to re-boot like this: Press the "eject" buttons on the CD and DVD players and, at the same time, press down on the radio volume and on/off switch. Like pressing "ctrl," "alt," "del" on Windows before XP. (Except here you press them all at once. Of course, if that doesn't work you can try it the other way, too.) I did this once and got my system to operate again after it blinked out on me last week.

This morning I went out to the car to go to work and all my radio pre-sets were gone - again. I re-set them as I drove to work. Then this afternoon all my pre-sets appeared as if I were using the other key (fob), which was at home on my kitchen cupboard. I re-arranged the order slightly this morning, so the pre-sets were/are different, for AM, FM and SAT. Bizarre. Obviously a memory problem.

At this point I think it's clear that I need a new download but I am avoiding taking it to the dealer as long as possible so that Murphy's Law doesn't attack the car.

Love the car; hate the electronics.
Old 11-07-2005, 07:45 PM
Officially Welcomed to The 'Fest

Mein Auto:
I had the screen go dead two weeks after delivery. The fault code led them to the screen itself. Replaced and no issues for 8+ months. Once I got to 16.02 I resolved the few nits I had (audio not staying off - CD not stopping, etc when shut down). Now all I'm waiting for is MP3 capability and that will be last software I need till M6
Old 11-07-2005, 08:20 PM

Malibu -

I searched the forum for any sign of a blank iDrive and I found the reboot tactic. When i do it I can hear the system going through the reboot - but the screen continues to display "The Ghost and the Darkness" (mostly darkness).

Cobradav -

Reading your post confirms my initial feeling that the monitor died. I'll also make sure I request the most recent download (which I'm assuming is 16.02). I'm frustrated but the car is so cool that it rubs off... so I'm cool.

Thanks both of you.

[His] 2006 750i Sport - Jet Black, 21" wheels, premium sound, luxury seating, convenience, comfort access, Sirius (Jet)
[Hers] 2008 650i - Metallic Black, Sports, Prem Sound, HUD, HD Radio, Cold Weather, Sirius (Shiloh)

Moved on from:
2005 645Ci (Ava)
2004 545i (Chief)
2002 330i (Kira)
1998 528i (Slick)
1999 540i (Sly)
Old 11-08-2005, 12:24 PM

Just heard from the dealership and indeed the iDrive screen shorted out. They've ordered a new one and will be installing it tomorrow.

BTW, they mentioned 18.1 as being the current software version.

Moved on from:
2005 645Ci (Ava)
2004 545i (Chief)
2002 330i (Kira)
1998 528i (Slick)
1999 540i (Sly)
Old 11-08-2005, 12:50 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by credit777
Just heard from the dealership and indeed the iDrive screen shorted out. They've ordered a new one and will be installing it tomorrow.

BTW, they mentioned 18.1 as being the current software version.
Some dealers have 19.02 in hand. I think I posted link to the TIS here on the board but in case u missed it here it is again.

http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/bulletins/...p/B611403g.htm

look for any issues you may have. Some of the releases (e.g. 19.01 to 19.02) may have "enhancements" rather than fixes. Has been no good way yet to collect that data other than through antedotal reports from owners. Some have reported RDS works now with 19.02.

Print this out for dealer. Many seem to not be cognizant of these at least not the SAs. Techs may know.
Old 11-08-2005, 01:51 PM
Anything is possible!

"... A rattling noise is heard from the steering when the vehicle is unlocked or the ignition is turned on. Only vehicles with AFS (Active Front Steering) are affected..."

This was fixed in CIP 18.00. I wonder how a software fix could remedy a rattle?
Old 11-08-2005, 06:06 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFly650i
"... A rattling noise is heard from the steering when the vehicle is unlocked or the ignition is turned on. Only vehicles with AFS (Active Front Steering) are affected..."

This was fixed in CIP 18.00. I wonder how a software fix could remedy a rattle?
There is an electric drive motor in the AS so it could be related to some torque bias in the motor causing a small vibration - or somthing entirely different
Old 11-08-2005, 06:54 PM

Mein Auto:
New Glitch-free World Record

I've just gone 36 hours in the 650i without any glitches! Am I good, lucky, or what? (The ODO clicked over 1000 just as I was heading up Mulholland Drive towards Mulholland Highway and the Batcave.)
Old 11-08-2005, 09:09 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibubimmer
I've just gone 36 hours in the 650i without any glitches! Am I good, lucky, or what? (The ODO clicked over 1000 just as I was heading up Mulholland Drive towards Mulholland Highway and the Batcave.)
You really need to get a sense of humor

I don't know what I would have done if my 6er had started out life like yours. Hopefully its just one issue (hardware or software) and all will be right woth the world.
Old 11-08-2005, 10:20 PM

Mein Auto:
I Wonder . . .

Quote:
Dealer let me borrow a brand new 650i for the weekend. Awesome car, I must say (and the wait is just agonizing!) I did notice a couple of glitches and though they were not annoying, I am begin to wonder if these bugs would get fixed before I take delivery of my 650i in December 2005.

1. iDrive screen locked up when I pushed the PDC button to turn off the PDC display as soon as the engine was turned on. The iDrive screen just got stuck and I couldn't move off of it. Had to turn off the engine, pulled out the key, and restarted, then everything was working again. I didn't try to replicate the problem to see if it could be duplicated.

This passage in your post just triggered some neurons. Perhaps a computer geek can help us.

I wonder if the iDrive's insistence that the driver "sign off" every freaking time he gets in his car by pressing the "I Accept" screen may be the problem. From a legal perspective a group of very nervous, insecure (and, frankly, not very good) lawyers has given BMW some bum advice. There's no need to require acceptance every time. (It's like the nervous lawyers who have convinced some of the car companies to annotate every newspaper advertisement with an "Always wear your seat belt" statement. Ridiculous. And don't drink too much, and wear a raincoat when it rains. And stay away from high trans fat food. The list is endless. And stupid. And totally unnecessary.)

The iDrive is asking you to accept but the iDrive is also being asked to do other things, like operate the PDC. The PDC wants to tell you where your car is in relation to the world, it's just busting to do so, but the driver hasn't yet pleased the idiotic lawyers who say the iDrive's pestering existence and the possibility that it might cause an accident if you pay attention to it at the wrong time, has to be accepted first.

But you're busy backing out of your parking space. That PDC is getting more and more anxious. The iDrive is getting more and more frustrated that you haven't satisfied its idiotic acceptance demands. And the system goes into an endless loop failure.

One of our fellow 6er owners has reported that when he had his dealer install a new CIP update his iDrive no longer asked him to accept it after a short period of time. That, too, is interesting because I think it is anomalous. He's the only one who has an iDrive that has turned its back on BMW's dumb lawyers based on my review of this site.

So, maybe what we should do is insist BMW re-design the iDrive to stop following the legal advice of some pusilanimous lawyers who don't understand how people drive cars.

There I've gotten it off my chest. The question for the geeks: Is it possible the system is putting itself into an endless loop and having a nervous breakdown?

PS: No problems now for over 43 hours. But the car has been sitting in the garage for 7 hours since my last report about 36 trouble free hours.

Last edited by Malibubimmer; 11-08-2005 at 10:22 PM. Reason: Addition of post script.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:56 PM
Grand Panjandrum

Mein Auto: 325 xit, Active E, 1200RT
Interesting possibilty - depends on whether the iDrive software gets activated without the accept comand being entered. Seems to me that unless you enter accept, iDrive should not be engaged but maybe that's not the case and your hypothesis is accurate ... which would have a certain ironic hilarity to it don't you think, especially from a lawyer's perspective?
Old 11-09-2005, 04:16 AM
Anything is possible!

BMW is not the only car manufacturer forcing its drivers to press the Accept button everytime the car is turned on, but ALL manufacturers are required to do that. There is a device called StealthOne that is very popular in the X5 community and it does remove the Accept screen (actually, no, it intercepts the signals from the I-Bus and inserts an Enter signal to bypass the Accept screen for you) among other things. However, that device is not available for the E63. I sincerely hope that they will make it work with the E63 in a near future.

StealthOne www.jaricdesign.com
Old 11-09-2005, 05:56 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
BMW is not the only car manufacturer forcing its drivers to press the Accept button everytime the car is turned on, but ALL manufacturers are required to do that. There is a device called StealthOne that is very popular in the X5 community and it does remove the Accept screen (actually, no, it intercepts the signals from the I-Bus and inserts an Enter signal to bypass the Accept screen for you) among other things. However, that device is not available for the E63. I sincerely hope that they will make it work with the E63 in a near future.

StealthOne www.jaricdesign.com
Not my CL55.
Old 11-09-2005, 08:11 AM
Anything is possible!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibubimmer
Not my CL55.
Interesting. I test drove the E500 recently and it did have the Accept screen. I wonder if that Accept never existed prior to 2003 MY.
Old 11-09-2005, 08:18 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 645Ci
Accept screen is there if you hav NAV, idrive with no nav should not have accept screen or it goes away automatically according to another post.
Old 11-09-2005, 08:28 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck92103
Accept screen is there if you hav NAV, idrive with no nav should not have accept screen or it goes away automatically according to another post.
Chuck, I'm not sure if this comment refers to my post that I don't have an "Accept demand" on my 2002 CL55, because Mercedes calls its system COMAND, not iDrive. (It's not an "Accept Screen" -- it's more than that. It is a demand you accept.)

Let me be clear. The CL55 has COMAND, it has Navigation, and it also has telematics. I can retrieve real time traffic, news, sports, etc. (but apparently not after December 31, 2005), via a satellite up link and selections on my profile at mbusa.com. A lot more distracting than iDrive, but in many respects a lot simpler too. AND, NO "ACCEPT DEMAND."

There's no law that requires it. Some manufacturers have decided that those of us who live in the Nanny-state need to be reminded, interminably, so that the manufacturers can be protected. As if anyone listens to background music. As if constantly "accepting" is going to make one lick of difference.
Old 11-09-2005, 09:27 AM

Malibu -

I see what your saying - but pressing or not pressing the Accept screen wouldn't have anything to do with preventing other instructions from running properly. The system can easily process millions of instructions at once - and is certainly already doing so by time you press the ignition switch.

More likely bugs within the instruction-set themselves are triggered when certain events occur simultaneously. We'll continue to discover them as we enage the cars in random ways that engineers couldn't have foreseen.

Part of the price we pay for being early adopters .

BTW - I'm not a compter geek...just my opinion

Moved on from:
2005 645Ci (Ava)
2004 545i (Chief)
2002 330i (Kira)
1998 528i (Slick)
1999 540i (Sly)