Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 09-09-2002, 10:23 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '97 2.8 Z3
Rocking seat repeat??

The dealer fixed my rocking seat problem on my '97 2.8 three or more years ago. I kind of expected that since there was no change to the material they were using the the problem would repeat but it has yet to reappear. Has anyone that has had the dealer repair their rocking seats had it reoccur? I put in some delrin rails to tilt the seats back a little right after the dealer fixed the seats and I'm wondering if that removed some of the stress on the bushing material. Has anyone had to relive that experience?
Advertisement
Old 09-09-2002, 11:14 AM
into things retro

Mein Auto: '02 M3 SMG & '08 135i
I think it may be possible . . .

that what ever they changed out to fix your problem is also why some people feel the seat movement problem and some do not. We did not do any process of measuring the parts when we did the mass change out at my place. When we took the worm gear out, there were visible differences in how much play some had over others but we weren't worried about doing any detailed correlation on who felt what.

Everyone that did the whamac bushing change (even if they thought they did not have the problem) liked how firm the seats felt.
Old 09-10-2002, 02:42 PM
No can drive 55!
Location: Gainesville, VA. (somewhere outside the DC beltway!)

Send a message via AIM to HaqDeluxe
Mein Auto: 07' Z4 M Coupe
This has been such a long standing problem that I would not be surprized to find a few resourceful dealers that have found or made a better bushing for themselves. Think about it.. Once you know exactly what is screwed up, it isn't long before you start thinking up things to stick in there. I have even heard of punching out a penny and sticking it in. Doug has found what should prove to be a great compromise. Delrin!

Zuni.. Great tag! Perfect for the gulf coast of Florida..
Old 09-10-2002, 02:52 PM

Mein Auto:
Gotta share the credit...

The idea for improving the bushings came from Skin Mechanic, of one of the other boards.

He thought of using Teflon and ABS, and he actually dismantled BOTH of his seats, sent me one of his stock bushings to measure, and he's testing bushings made from Teflon, ABS, Delrin and oil-filled Nylon on his car right now.

Great guy, that Skin! Always thinking.

I just happen to have the machinery needed to make the bushings.
Old 09-10-2002, 02:55 PM
into things retro

Mein Auto: '02 M3 SMG & '08 135i
curious to see . . .

what Skin finds at the end of his test period. Any cost difference in the materials?
Old 09-10-2002, 03:03 PM
No can drive 55!
Location: Gainesville, VA. (somewhere outside the DC beltway!)

Send a message via AIM to HaqDeluxe
Mein Auto: 07' Z4 M Coupe
Is Skin the guy that did the first switchout in his house because the garage was to cold? I remember seeing a great post on that with equally great pics to help us other DIY's out...

Whoever.. Cold or no Cold.. Bring a car seat into the house and my wife would fix me where I would not be needing any kind of seat at all.. atleast not till I got the boot out of my %^&$
Old 09-10-2002, 03:07 PM

Mein Auto:
No, like most machine work, the expense is in the labor.

If the quantities ever really got crazy, I could build a plastic injection mold and make them for almost nothing, but again, the cost to make the mold would be prohibitive unless the numbers were pretty large.