Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 11-08-2005, 11:37 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 06 530 xi t
skip the M6

Hey Bee, howz about skipping the m6 and doing an ED on a new mercedes CLS E55 AMG. it is sharp, more comfortable and just as powerful as the M6. in the recent automobile magazine from the writeup it actually sounded more fun than the M6!!
Advertisement
Old 11-08-2005, 01:07 PM
Go Gators

Send a message via AIM to BmW745On19's
Mein Auto: 745i
Nothing can match the ride of a Grand Tourer, especially one with a v-10 exaust note. And to clearify are you talking about the M-Benz CLS 55 or M-Benz E 55?

P.S. Blasphemy on you for saying that in a Bimmer Forum!
Old 11-08-2005, 01:17 PM

Mein Auto: German
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonman
Hey Bee, howz about skipping the m6 and doing an ED on a new mercedes CLS E55 AMG. it is sharp, more comfortable and just as powerful as the M6. in the recent automobile magazine from the writeup it actually sounded more fun than the M6!!
Uh, torque convertor? I think Bee's physically allergic to slushomagic trannies.
Old 11-08-2005, 01:26 PM
Officially Welcomed to The 'Fest!

Mein Auto:
Quote:
The headroom in the CLS models is pathetic. I had a CLS55 on order and then sat in a friend's CLS500. It seemed to have a good 3 inches less headroom than my CL55. On the other hand, the E55 has lots of headroom but it looks like a bar of soap. And, if you have experience with both marque's you'll understand why only one has the box "fun to drive" checked off next to its name.
Old 11-08-2005, 01:47 PM
Anything is possible!

Mein Auto: 07 550i, 08 M5
Quote:
I'd rather save $80K and buy an Oldsmobile instead of that CLS. It looks just like that Olds (forgot the model name).
Old 11-08-2005, 01:49 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 645Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibubimmer
On the other hand, the E55 has lots of headroom but it looks like a bar of soap.
Dove or Ivory?
Old 11-08-2005, 02:07 PM
AMV Roady

Mein Auto: F01
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFly650i
I'd rather save $80K and buy an Oldsmobile instead of that CLS. It looks just like that Olds (forgot the model name).
CLS = facelifted 1970 Olds Tornado. I know it's a stretch
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	oldsmobile_tornado1970.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	60889  
Old 11-08-2005, 02:08 PM

cls

i am talking about the new mercedes body style "4 door coupe". i did not know about the headroom issue. i love the M6 dont get me wrong. in fact, the 6 series styling is a work of genius imho. i love it. i DO NOT subscribe to the notion that BMW is the ONLY car. such a notion is absurd. mercedes is a worthy competitor. yes, they have had there share of quality problems but i think that is largely behind them, or about to be very soon. i ow an 06 530 xi t and i love it. i am not married to the bmw brand however, and in 2010 or 11 when i am back in the market, i will give a close look at the then new mercedes e-class versus the then new bmw 5 series.
Old 11-08-2005, 02:11 PM
Banned

Is the new one you are referring to on the MB web site?
Old 11-08-2005, 02:22 PM
Banned

Not to get off topic, but since when is four doors considered a coupe?

http://www.mbusa.com/brand/models/CLS500C.jsp

Old 11-08-2005, 02:27 PM
Do the interns get Glocks

Send a message via AIM to LmtdSlip
Mein Auto: 325iC
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck92103

When the marketing team couldnt come up with any other selling point to make this car stand out from the rest.

Photobucket
Old 11-08-2005, 03:09 PM
Officially Welcomed to The 'Fest!

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck92103

Couper - to cut. (French, of course, which was considered very fashionable in the 1920s.) Have a look at the CLS - it looks "cut."
Old 11-08-2005, 04:33 PM
Bo-ma-win!

Send a message via Yahoo to beewang
Mein Auto: S62 E39
Quote:
....... i DO NOT subscribe to the notion that BMW is the ONLY car. such a notion is absurd. mercedes is a worthy competitor. yes, they have had there share of quality problems but i think that is largely behind them, or about to be very soon. ......
Okay, for the sake of argument I will tell you why MBZ is not up to par in my book.

1) Drivability. Its hard to explain this. You either "get-it" ot you don't. MBZ drive just a tad better than Lexus, not much soul or road feel to it. As they say in German "Freude am Fahren". Porsche has it, BMW has it, MBZ doesn't. What can I tell ya... I am a DRIVER!!

2) Maintenance: BMW has 4 yrs of servicing included. What can I tell ya.. I am a cheapa$$. I like the predictability of limited liability in maintenance/warranty. Wagonman, you have no idea what the maintenance on these German cars cost since you are being protected under the blaket of covered service.

3) Stucka is correct. Slush Box not my cup of tea. SMG, Manual and then Steptronic is the order of prefrence.

4) Build Quilty: Tellya what... you be the Guinee and buy a MBZ. Let me know if they have resolved the QC issue. Thanx for being brave

cheers,

beewang
Old 11-08-2005, 05:06 PM
///M for Motor Sports!

Mein Auto: No More 6 Series
And I Second That.

Bee... You are correct in so many ways it's scary. The problem is, well the truth is if you are a driver there are only a few cars that can satisfy the sole and Mercedes is not one of them IMO. Now, add AMG to the picture and you get a BIG A$$ HORSE for Ferrari prices and it still doesn't compare, what a shame IMHO.

Yes, I see more than BMW's but when it comes to the best of both worlds, there is no compromise in choosing the Ultimate Driving Machine!

"May I have another?" Yes!

GMAN

2008 Alpine White, Portland Brown ///M5 (SMG)
2008 Alpine White, Fox Red ///M3 (6MT)
2008 Sapphire Black, Black 750Li
Old 11-08-2005, 05:20 PM

bee makes good points

Quote:
Originally Posted by beewang
Okay, for the sake of argument I will tell you why MBZ is not up to par in my book.

1) Drivability. Its hard to explain this. You either "get-it" ot you don't. MBZ drive just a tad better than Lexus, not much soul or road feel to it. As they say in German "Freude am Fahren". Porsche has it, BMW has it, MBZ doesn't. What can I tell ya... I am a DRIVER!!

2) Maintenance: BMW has 4 yrs of servicing included. What can I tell ya.. I am a cheapa$$. I like the predictability of limited liability in maintenance/warranty. Wagonman, you have no idea what the maintenance on these German cars cost since you are being protected under the blaket of covered service.

3) Stucka is correct. Slush Box not my cup of tea. SMG, Manual and then Steptronic is the order of prefrence.

4) Build Quilty: Tellya what... you be the Guinee and buy a MBZ. Let me know if they have resolved the QC issue. Thanx for being brave

cheers,

beewang
i do have an idea what maintance costs are on these cars. i have owned a bmw before as well as an audi. they are not cheap. that said, one is better off BUYING and keeping these cars and YES paying maintenace costs over a 6 year period rather than getting on the hamster wheel of leasing with monthly payments that only serve to benefit the corporation. i stick by my view that mercedes is a viable brand. i own a bmw. i am not married to the bmw brand. i would be willing to see what was/is out in 5-6 years from now. it is a competetive business. lets leave it at that. i agree that for me for now bmw is it. it may not be in the future.
Old 11-23-2005, 07:26 AM
Account closed at user's request.

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
mercedes does have an advantage with that clamshell convertible sl55amg over the 6 series ragtop but no back seat on the benz. im seriously considering trading the wifes 645ci convertible in on a SL 65amg for a few reasons
1 clamshell
2 only used back seat once to give a relative a ride so i dont need that
3 normal gong/chime volume

a few reasons i might wait for the M6 convertible that was previously stated would never happen but spy pics have already been released
1 its a BMW
2 i like BMW better than mercedes (lower snob factor)
3 tougher look on the BMW, the benz seems a bit more of a chick car

anyone have better pros and cons ? (cobradave don't reply please)
Old 11-23-2005, 07:31 AM
mmm... carbs!

Mein Auto: 2007 E90 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFly650i
I think you are referring to the Aurora:

Old 11-23-2005, 07:32 AM
Do the interns get Glocks

Send a message via AIM to LmtdSlip
Mein Auto: 325iC
I dont see the Merc's clamshell as that much of an advantage.

I like the look of the fabric top.

Photobucket
Old 11-23-2005, 07:41 AM

Quote:
i am talking about the new mercedes body style "4 door coupe". i did not know about the headroom issue. i love the M6 dont get me wrong. in fact, the 6 series styling is a work of genius imho. i love it. i DO NOT subscribe to the notion that BMW is the ONLY car. such a notion is absurd. mercedes is a worthy competitor. yes, they have had there share of quality problems but i think that is largely behind them, or about to be very soon. i ow an 06 530 xi t and i love it. i am not married to the bmw brand however, and in 2010 or 11 when i am back in the market, i will give a close look at the then new mercedes e-class versus the then new bmw 5 series.
i think wagonman put "4 door coupe" like that meaning "4 door 'coupe'?" sort of like what someone else was getting at here, like is that really a coupe. he has some valid points. Brand loyalty only goes so far especially with all the competition out there. i really like the clamshell convertible idea and i heard that BMW is still over a year away with a 3 series clamshell. Mercedes has had them for years and Lexus well I don't really go there but for the smaller bank accounts it is a consideration.
i am not married to the bmw brand but i did buy two new bmw's in the last year and enjoy both of them except for one annoying flaw on the 645cic. The Porsches have been outstanding and i can't come up with even one complaint on either of them.
to round things out a guy really has to have at least one motorcycle and although i used to buy BMW motorcycles religiously this time around i couldn't find one that i like the look of so i bought the new bonneville. Granted i don't ride like i used to otherwise i would have bought a BMW regardless of the space age looks. I'm hoping BMW will do a retro motorcycle, something along the lines of the old early sixties R50 'S' with the solo seats, earles forks and so forth. One thing i wish Triumph would do on these new bonnevilles is go ahead and move on over to fuel injection, the carbs are a bit of a pain but they do add to the classic look that i was after. im putting about 100 miles a month on it compared to my first new BMW motorcycle that i put 15k on the first year.
Old 11-23-2005, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LmtdSlip
I dont see the Merc's clamshell as that much of an advantage.

I like the look of the fabric top.
a valid point but i noticed that the fabric top on the 645 started sagging between the bows, im having the dealer look into that but im not holding my breath, on the other side of the coin i have heard of some problems with the clamshell not going down correctly and doing extensive damage (outside of the warrantee, ouch)
Old 11-23-2005, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xspeedy
I think you are referring to the Aurora:

is that the new ford taurus??
Old 11-23-2005, 07:48 AM

Quote:
i do have an idea what maintance costs are on these cars. i have owned a bmw before as well as an audi. they are not cheap. that said, one is better off BUYING and keeping these cars and YES paying maintenace costs over a 6 year period rather than getting on the hamster wheel of leasing with monthly payments that only serve to benefit the corporation. i stick by my view that mercedes is a viable brand. i own a bmw. i am not married to the bmw brand. i would be willing to see what was/is out in 5-6 years from now. it is a competetive business. lets leave it at that. i agree that for me for now bmw is it. it may not be in the future.
im with wagonman on this, if a better product for me shows up on the market i will seriously consider it. isnt ferrari coming out with a clamshell convertible?
Old 11-23-2005, 09:31 AM
Living a dream!

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotrosso
... Mercedes has had them for years and Lexus well I don't really go there but for the smaller bank accounts it is a consideration

Is that really a fair assessment? I came from a Lexus SC430. It is one of the best cars I've ever owned. Bank account size has nothing to do with it.. the SC430 is a worthy competitor in this segment and the reliability, especially the SC430, far exceeds any vehicle ever made.. period. The SC430 is more of a luxury cruiser, I moved to BMW for the driving feel.
Old 11-23-2005, 10:16 AM

Mein Auto: 645 Convertible
Quote:
What about a spyker car? The interior of these cars are really beautiful too.

http://www.spykercars.com/top_gear/spyker_top_gear.html
Old 11-23-2005, 01:02 PM
///M for Motor Sports!

Mein Auto: No More 6 Series
Thumbs down U Must Be Rich, Rich, Rich...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothCruise
What about a spyker car? The interior of these cars are really beautiful too.

http://www.spykercars.com/top_gear/spyker_top_gear.html
It'll never make US Regulations... Now the car is cute and I suppose the guys on this forum are manly so stay away Girlie-Mannn, no Spyker for me, besides I like Ferrari.

SmoothCruise, thanks for the video though.

GMAN

2008 Alpine White, Portland Brown ///M5 (SMG)
2008 Alpine White, Fox Red ///M3 (6MT)
2008 Sapphire Black, Black 750Li