Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Motorsports, Racing & Track

Motorsports, Racing & Track
From Formula One to Auto-X, discuss everything related to going fast here...

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-09-2002, 05:46 PM
CD-55 CD-55 is offline
Double Bimmers
Location: N. VA
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,176
Mein Auto: 2003 330i & 1988 325is
A guy at work with a fast 'vett wants to race.

I forget his list of mods but overhead someone else claim it does 0 - 60 in 3.x sec. I am not buying that, but any way it has got to have a few hundred more HP than my E30.

He said, "I'll race, any time, any where!"

I pondered this for a full 1/4 sec knowing there is only 1 place where I may have a chance. I replied, "Roscroft NCC Autox on 9-21".

He has never done any driving events but racing from red lights.

Rosecroft has no traction, so 600 HP does not do a lot more than 300Hp.

The NCC autox's layouts are the most vague courses in the country.

I think he will be lucky to stay on course if he even really registers and shows up for the event.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 09-09-2002, 05:52 PM
Mystikal Mystikal is offline
Kickin' it old school
Location: Toronto
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 3,078
Mein Auto: E30 325is
Hehe, he doesn't have a chance. With your experience and his lack of, it's a no-brainer who would win. He would have to have the best throttle control in the world to keep a modified Vette under control between the cones.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-09-2002, 05:53 PM
Mr. The Edge's Avatar
Mr. The Edge Mr. The Edge is offline
.
Location: .
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 20,240
Mein Auto: .
Re: A guy at work with a fast 'vett wants to race.

Quote:
Originally posted by CD-55
I forget his list of mods but overhead someone else claim it does 0 - 60 in 3.x sec. I am not buying that, but any way it has got to have a few hundred more HP than my E30.

what year is the vette? just curious. the new Z06 stock goes sub 4 seconds.

I bet you will beat him anyway
__________________
Belief cannot argue with unbelief, it can only preach to it

To clasp the hands in prayer is the beginning of an uprising against the disorder of the world.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-09-2002, 06:04 PM
CD-55 CD-55 is offline
Double Bimmers
Location: N. VA
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,176
Mein Auto: 2003 330i & 1988 325is
Re: Re: A guy at work with a fast 'vett wants to race.

Quote:
Originally posted by atyclb


what year is the vette? just curious. the new Z06 stock goes sub 4 seconds.

I bet you will beat him anyway
yep that is the one! + a few mods.


EDIT: I don't think many people can launch it as fast advertized.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-09-2002, 06:06 PM
Mystikal Mystikal is offline
Kickin' it old school
Location: Toronto
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 3,078
Mein Auto: E30 325is
Yikes, a Z06? Hmmm, that means he has the nice stability system to help him out, too. If he can drive, it would be quite close.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-09-2002, 06:12 PM
CD-55 CD-55 is offline
Double Bimmers
Location: N. VA
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,176
Mein Auto: 2003 330i & 1988 325is
Quote:
Originally posted by Mystikal
Yikes, a Z06? Hmmm, that means he has the nice stability system to help him out, too. If he can drive, it would be quite close.

Damn, I will be screwed if that works as well as DSC. I was counting on him burning rubber and not braking in time and maybe even doing a 360 mid-course.

I will have to hope his navigation skills are only average... then like many 1st timers at NCC autox, he will be off course on all runs.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-09-2002, 06:34 PM
Mystikal Mystikal is offline
Kickin' it old school
Location: Toronto
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 3,078
Mein Auto: E30 325is
Quote:
Originally posted by CD-55



Damn, I will be screwed if that works as well as DSC. I was counting on him burning rubber and not braking in time and maybe even doing a 360 mid-course.

I will have to hope his navigation skills are only average... then like many 1st timers at NCC autox, he will be off course on all runs.
The Corvette system is the best out there, right up there with Porsche's PSM. It has multiple modes, one of which is Competition. That system alone just gave him quite an advantage.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-09-2002, 06:45 PM
JST's Avatar
JST JST is offline
A sudden sense of liberty
Location: U of ///M
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 3,936
Mein Auto: 535xiT, Golf R, 987S
Quote:
Originally posted by Mystikal


The Corvette system is the best out there, right up there with Porsche's PSM. It has multiple modes, one of which is Competition. That system alone just gave him quite an advantage.
No, it won't. Not if he's never autocrossed before.

I'm confident that in the Rosecroft parking lot, CD's track prepared, cage-equipped E30, running on DOT-R rubber (I assume you'll bring the track tires?), with CD at the wheel, will be more than a match for a first-time driver with no road course experience, no matter what he's behind the wheel of. I'd give CD the advantage over a McLaren piloted by a first timer.

IIRC, FTD was set by an E30 at the last Rosecroft CCA event I went to.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-09-2002, 06:59 PM
·clyde·'s Avatar
·clyde· ·clyde· is offline
OMGWTFBBQ
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 11,265
Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally posted by JST


No, it won't. Not if he's never autocrossed before.

I'm confident that in the Rosecroft parking lot, CD's track prepared, cage-equipped E30, running on DOT-R rubber (I assume you'll bring the track tires?), with CD at the wheel, will be more than a match for a first-time driver with no road course experience, no matter what he's behind the wheel of. I'd give CD the advantage over a McLaren piloted by a first timer.

IIRC, FTD was set by an E30 at the last Rosecroft CCA event I went to.
FTD at the last one I remember you going to was an E36 M3.

Other than that, I agree with you.
__________________
OH NOES!!!!!1 MY CAR HAS T3H UND3R5T33R5555!!!!!!1oneone!!!!11

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-09-2002, 07:25 PM
nate's Avatar
nate nate is offline
I like cookies.
Location: Houston
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 18,126
Mein Auto: 328Ci
A well driven Z06 will destroy just about anything at auto-x...
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-09-2002, 07:26 PM
·clyde·'s Avatar
·clyde· ·clyde· is offline
OMGWTFBBQ
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 11,265
Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally posted by nate328Ci
A well driven Z06 will destroy just about anything at auto-x...
the catch is "well driven" and from CD's description it doesn't sound like it will be...at least not at first
__________________
OH NOES!!!!!1 MY CAR HAS T3H UND3R5T33R5555!!!!!!1oneone!!!!11

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-09-2002, 07:35 PM
GimpyMcFarlan's Avatar
GimpyMcFarlan GimpyMcFarlan is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Columbus, OH
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 1,085
Send a message via MSN to GimpyMcFarlan
Mein Auto: 2007 X3 Crimson/Beige
Post Re: A guy at work with a fast 'vett wants to race.

Quote:
Originally posted by CD-55
IHe has never done any driving events but racing from red lights.
If this statement is true, you probably have him hands down. Just about anyone can mash the throttle and go like a bat outta h*ll from a stop light. The key is those pesky corners road racers insist on throwing in to make life interesting. Just stay away from the drag strip.

BTW, I would love to see pics or a video of the matchup!
__________________
Gimpy McFarlan
2007 X3: Crimson / Beige & Black / Gray Wood - Auto - Premium Package
Heated Seats - Heated Steering Wheel - Clear Paint Protection - 35% Llumastar Tint
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-10-2002, 06:44 AM
CD-55 CD-55 is offline
Double Bimmers
Location: N. VA
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,176
Mein Auto: 2003 330i & 1988 325is
Re: Re: A guy at work with a fast 'vett wants to race.

Quote:
Originally posted by GimpyMcFarlan

snip

BTW, I would love to see pics or a video of the matchup!
Nothing to take a pic of, we are not going to be going head to head or anything. It will just a normal autox with extra bragging rights from the results.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-10-2002, 06:47 AM
·clyde·'s Avatar
·clyde· ·clyde· is offline
OMGWTFBBQ
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 11,265
Mein Auto:
Re: Re: Re: A guy at work with a fast 'vett wants to race.

Quote:
Originally posted by CD-55


Nothing to take a pic of, we are not going to be going head to head or anything. It will just a normal autox with extra bragging rights from the results.
MiniDV cam at a static location records all the runs. Capture the fastest runs to the computer, resize, play them back side to side.
__________________
OH NOES!!!!!1 MY CAR HAS T3H UND3R5T33R5555!!!!!!1oneone!!!!11

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-10-2002, 07:31 AM
in_d_haus in_d_haus is offline
Registered User
Location: Elsewhere
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 6,881
Mein Auto: car
Quote:
Originally posted by nate328Ci
A well driven Z06 will destroy just about anything at auto-x...
Even a moderately driven Z06 will destroy anything in Auto-X. The national champs all drive them. The car will make a bad driver look good.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-10-2002, 07:46 AM
JST's Avatar
JST JST is offline
A sudden sense of liberty
Location: U of ///M
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 3,936
Mein Auto: 535xiT, Golf R, 987S
Quote:
Originally posted by in_d_haus


Even a moderately driven Z06 will destroy anything in Auto-X. The national champs all drive them. The car will make a bad driver look good.

Good luck!
National courses are on larger lots, and thus quite a bit faster, than the small confines of the NCC's home lot. Moreover, as Clyde and I can attest from our morning sweeping duties, there are a LOT of marbles on the Rosecroft lot. The pavement is simply disintegrating into gravel in a number of areas. It's not a course that makes the most of high-hp cars.

It will be interesting to watch, though, because the Z06 is such a capable car. CD, when are you running?
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-10-2002, 08:05 AM
CD-55 CD-55 is offline
Double Bimmers
Location: N. VA
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,176
Mein Auto: 2003 330i & 1988 325is
Quote:
Originally posted by JST
snip

CD, when are you running?
I am number 102 which is not to my advantage. I am hop there is a "spit" heat (odd numbers first) so I can watch the first guys run and so the track will clean-up a bit.

honestly, I bet this guy will be a no-show.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-10-2002, 08:10 AM
·clyde·'s Avatar
·clyde· ·clyde· is offline
OMGWTFBBQ
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 11,265
Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally posted by JST


National courses are on larger lots, and thus quite a bit faster, than the small confines of the NCC's home lot. Moreover, as Clyde and I can attest from our morning sweeping duties, there are a LOT of marbles on the Rosecroft lot. The pavement is simply disintegrating into gravel in a number of areas. It's not a course that makes the most of high-hp cars.

It will be interesting to watch, though, because the Z06 is such a capable car. CD, when are you running?
Somewhere recently, CD suggested that AWD was an advantage at Rosecroft becuase of the limited traction. I don't think that it is in my case because if the wagon was RWD, it still wouldn't have enough power to spin the rears. OTOH, the skinny tires that I ***** about could be helpful on turns that haven't been "cleaned" for teh same reasons that skinnier tires are generally better in limited traction situations like wet and snow.
__________________
OH NOES!!!!!1 MY CAR HAS T3H UND3R5T33R5555!!!!!!1oneone!!!!11

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-10-2002, 08:11 AM
·clyde·'s Avatar
·clyde· ·clyde· is offline
OMGWTFBBQ
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 11,265
Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally posted by CD-55


I am number 102 which is not to my advantage. I am hop there is a "spit" heat (odd numbers first) so I can watch the first guys run and so the track will clean-up a bit.
DId they split heats odd and even last year? All of them this year have been split at the middle (car 15 in a 30 car heat).
__________________
OH NOES!!!!!1 MY CAR HAS T3H UND3R5T33R5555!!!!!!1oneone!!!!11

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-10-2002, 08:20 AM
CD-55 CD-55 is offline
Double Bimmers
Location: N. VA
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,176
Mein Auto: 2003 330i & 1988 325is
Quote:
Originally posted by Clyde@work


DId they split heats odd and even last year? All of them this year have been split at the middle (car 15 in a 30 car heat).
yeah, a few times they did.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 09-10-2002, 08:21 AM
nate's Avatar
nate nate is offline
I like cookies.
Location: Houston
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 18,126
Mein Auto: 328Ci
Will you be using your street tires or the R-comps?
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 09-10-2002, 08:32 AM
CD-55 CD-55 is offline
Double Bimmers
Location: N. VA
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,176
Mein Auto: 2003 330i & 1988 325is
Quote:
Originally posted by nate328Ci
Will you be using your street tires or the R-comps?
For the autox, R's of course!

this weekend at the driving school I will run the all seasons, at least for Saturday. I may switch to R's on Sunday.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 09-10-2002, 08:33 AM
nate's Avatar
nate nate is offline
I like cookies.
Location: Houston
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 18,126
Mein Auto: 328Ci
Quote:
Originally posted by CD-55


For the autox, R's of course!

this weekend at the driving school I will run the all seasons, at least for Saturday. I may switch to R's on Sunday.
First auto-x with your new car, all seasons would be wise

Plus, I am guessing that the tires you have a track (not auto-x) compound anyway...
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 09-10-2002, 08:55 AM
CD-55 CD-55 is offline
Double Bimmers
Location: N. VA
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,176
Mein Auto: 2003 330i & 1988 325is
Quote:
Originally posted by nate328Ci
First auto-x with your new car, all seasons would be wise
snip
What are you talking about? You think I may go slower with the better tires?


EDIT: What do I need to look for to know which compound I have?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 09-10-2002, 10:43 AM
nate's Avatar
nate nate is offline
I like cookies.
Location: Houston
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 18,126
Mein Auto: 328Ci
Quote:
Originally posted by CD-55


What are you talking about? You think I may go slower with the better tires?


EDIT: What do I need to look for to know which compound I have?
You have to know the car well before useing the better rubber! It doesn't matter if you might be faster. Many spin on their first time with R-Comps EVEN when they know the car. If you spin, which is a good possibility, you will be slower.

Nevermind about the compouds. You have Kuhmos, right? They are the same for auto-x and roadcourse. Hoosier and other brands have different compounds http://www.tirerack.com/tires/hoosier/hoosier.htm
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Motorsports, Racing & Track
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms