Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 11-12-2005, 03:44 PM

Mein Auto: X3 2.5L
Unhappy Bluetooth Phone Pairing -Step by Step HELP PLEASE!! Moto V551

I just upgraded to a Motorola V551 phone so I can use it on my 2005 X3 with Bluetooth. After more that two hours trying to pair it, I am very frustrated and don't know what to do. I followed the instructions on the manual and on this forum which are basically as simple as:

1. enable Bluettoth on your phone (done)
2. Press the R/T button on the steering wheel. And this is as far as I got. When I press the R/T button, it just keep saying "activate phone" and nothing happens. No pairing, nothing

I've tried everything. Turn off the bluetooth on the phone and then press the R/T button, and while is saying "activate phone" turn on the bluetooth, pressing the speak phone. I even called BMW assist to see if the module worked. It does

I also turned off the phone, removed the battery, removed the SIM card, installed it again. nothing

What should I do??? At this point I am thinking there is sometihing wrong wither with the BT module on the car or with the phone. How can I test the BT module in the car? How can I test the BT on the phone? Does the "name" on the phone has any impact on this?

Help is very appreciatted. Thanks
Ads by Google
Old 11-13-2005, 03:33 AM

Mein Auto: X3 (2005)
there plenty of articles here has discussed similar issues, you can use the search function to find the right answer.
To put in short, X3 BT function is active at the first 2 minutes. so you should:
1. start engineer,
2. turn on the BT search function in your mobile pnone, then your should find the device named with last 7 digits of X3's VIN number,
3. input 4 digit password (it is a separate paper in your manual)
then it should be ok.
Caution: I haven't tried above steps because I have a build-in carphone, therefore I can't use any other BT phone in my X3.
Old 11-13-2005, 04:41 AM
Glenn Krochnal

Send a message via AIM to glenmal
Mein Auto: 2006-530xi & 2006-330i
My solution

Saleman at the dealer did my wifes car and the service writer did mine. less than five minute to have both cars paired with both our phones. The dealer done good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charly Brown
I just upgraded to a Motorola V551 phone so I can use it on my 2005 X3 with Bluetooth. After more that two hours trying to pair it, I am very frustrated and don't know what to do. I followed the instructions on the manual and on this forum which are basically as simple as:

1. enable Bluettoth on your phone (done)
2. Press the R/T button on the steering wheel. And this is as far as I got. When I press the R/T button, it just keep saying "activate phone" and nothing happens. No pairing, nothing

I've tried everything. Turn off the bluetooth on the phone and then press the R/T button, and while is saying "activate phone" turn on the bluetooth, pressing the speak phone. I even called BMW assist to see if the module worked. It does

I also turned off the phone, removed the battery, removed the SIM card, installed it again. nothing

What should I do??? At this point I am thinking there is sometihing wrong wither with the BT module on the car or with the phone. How can I test the BT module in the car? How can I test the BT on the phone? Does the "name" on the phone has any impact on this?

Help is very appreciatted. Thanks
530xi - 2006 Silver/gray Auto,Prem pkg, fold down seats,PDC,HUD,Cold weathr Pkg, Comfort seats, NAV, Satellite, heated rear seats, straighened vertical post between passenger doors from wreck 6/1/2006.

330i -2006 silver/gray- Auto, Sport pkg, Premium Pkg,Cold Wthr Pkg, NAV, Satellite
Old 11-14-2005, 06:56 AM

I went trhough the whole forum on bluetooth and it seems I'll have to take my car to the dealer and ask them to pair the phone. I may have some software issues as some described here. The phone is simply not detecting the car's bluetooth no matter what I do. I've tried everything!

Old 11-14-2005, 07:50 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to jdeday
Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X3 3.0
Did you enter the pass code into you phone? This code is found on a card that was included with all of your vehicles documentation?

Jeff
2005 X3 3.0, Mystic Blue Metallic, Sand Beige Leather Interior, Birch Grain Light Wood Trim, Steptronic Transmission, Premium Package, Heated Seats, Privacy Glass, Satellite Radio Prep, Xenon Adaptive Headlights, Heated Steering Wheel, Premium Sound, Power Folding Mirrors and NAVIGATION RETROFIT
Old 11-15-2005, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdeday
Did you enter the pass code into you phone? This code is found on a card that was included with all of your vehicles documentation?

Jeff
I have not been able to go that far. I just turn-on the bluetooth feature on the phone, and nothing happens. If a turn-on the R/T button, it keeps saying "Activate Phone" and nothing happens!
Old 11-15-2005, 06:50 AM
Don't worry, be happy

Mein Auto: '05 645Cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charly Brown
I have not been able to go that far. I just turn-on the bluetooth feature on the phone, and nothing happens. If a turn-on the R/T button, it keeps saying "Activate Phone" and nothing happens!
I had a similar problem in my wife's X5. What I would try (and what worked for me) is to take the battery out of your cell phone, let it sit for a minute, put it back in, and try the whole process again. Your whole problem could possibly be with your cell phone, as it was with ours.

We were on a road-trip in our then brand new X5 and the BT functionality had just stopped working for some reason. We followed the manual to the letter and NOTHING. Frustrustated, we stopped by a dealer in SoCal and asked a salesman for some help. He took the battery out, and voila, BT was back up and running. Haven't had a problem with it since then (3+ months ago).

If that doesn't work, I would say a dealer visit is your next step.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:09 AM

Mein Auto: '05 X3 3.0, '06 911S
Make sure BT is enabled on your car. On my Euro Delivery '05, BT was disabled by default and I had the same frustrating results as you. After a quick trip to the dealer, they enabled BT and it paired as it should.

You shouldn't have to do anything with the R/T button on the steering wheel.

1. Have BT enabled on your car by the dealer
2. Turn BT power on in your phone
3. Turn key to position 1 or higher
4. Set phone to look for BT devices
5. It should find one with BMWXXXX as the name, then choose connect
6. When prompted, enter the 4-digit passcode from the card
7. Wait while the address book is loaded - it may take several minutes
8. That's it! The next time you get into your car with BT turned on in your phone, it will pair automatically.

TVN
Old 11-15-2005, 09:43 AM
XDriver

Send a message via AIM to flahertb
Mein Auto: 325xi & X3 & Z4
I had a similar problem pairing the Moto 815 with my 2005 X3. After about an hour of not understanding why the BT wouldn't pair, I found that I had to enable the "handsfree" feature on the phone. After that the car immediately found the phone, I put in my pin number and viola I was talking to "da man". Not sure if you phone is exactly the same, but it's worth a try.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:15 PM
Don't worry, be happy

Did you wind up getting it to work?
Old 11-16-2005, 12:23 PM

Mein Auto: 750li
try this!

I just got the v551 today. It was pretty easy to pair up!

From the phone you need goto settings
Then select connection
Then highlight bluetooth and select
Now select handsfree and tell it to look for device.

Meanwhile make sure that bluetooth is enabled in your car, and also that it is in pairing mode.

They should find each other, and you will need to enter your passkey next!

750li
sterling grey
11/2005
Old 11-17-2005, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAirbags
Did you wind up getting it to work?
Nope. I tried all the advice you and other people here gave me and still doesn't work, so I guess I would have to pay a visit to my dealer when I have the time so that can activate the BT feature as it seems it is disable

But before I want to make sure my phone is fine, so I am looking for a BT device I can pair with

What a pain!
Old 11-30-2005, 11:00 AM

OK. I made it work without a trip to the dealer! I went on the web and did some research on the Motoroal V551. Apparently, the BT interface of the phone is defined by the WAP, which also allows you to navigate the web through the phone, thing I was not able to do either

So, I went and changed the WAP and all the internet set-up on the phone. Then checked the internet through the phone, it worked. Then ran to the X3, turned-on the BT on the phone and voila! it paired simply and quickly

I have to blame on Motorola as the V551 manual is basically useless and the BT interface is -badly-mentioned just in one paragraph.

So, if you have a V551, check your WAP before going to the dealer for a fix of the BT module
Old 11-30-2005, 11:20 AM
Don't worry, be happy

Sweet! Congrats!

My wife LOVES the BT functionality in her X5.
Old 12-08-2005, 11:56 AM

Just a last caveat on the Motorola V551 and BT: BT takes A LOT of battery power from the phone. If you plan to use it very often, think about buying the cradle. If not, you will have to turn-off and turn-on the BT everytime you get into the car, or your battery will last 24 hours at best, and not talking too much
Old 05-06-2009, 08:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 X3
Re: Pairing Iphone

Hey all, I just got a 2005 X3! And I'm trying to read up on how to pair my phone to the car. I keep reading that you need a card with a pin on it. Problem is my car doesn't have the owners Manuel with it so I don't have this card. Does each car have a different PIN number to pair the phone? Or are they all the same? What is the pin code? Appreciate any help!
Old 05-06-2009, 09:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i 5AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dweave View Post
Hey all, I just got a 2005 X3! And I'm trying to read up on how to pair my phone to the car. I keep reading that you need a card with a pin on it. Problem is my car doesn't have the owners Manuel with it so I don't have this card. Does each car have a different PIN number to pair the phone? Or are they all the same? What is the pin code? Appreciate any help!
The code is on your bluetooth ULF also. Heres a pic of where the ULF is:
Old 11-17-2010, 07:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 x5
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnunnery View Post
Make sure BT is enabled on your car. On my Euro Delivery '05, BT was disabled by default and I had the same frustrating results as you. After a quick trip to the dealer, they enabled BT and it paired as it should.

You shouldn't have to do anything with the R/T button on the steering wheel.

1. Have BT enabled on your car by the dealer
2. Turn BT power on in your phone
3. Turn key to position 1 or higher
4. Set phone to look for BT devices
5. It should find one with BMWXXXX as the name, then choose connect
6. When prompted, enter the 4-digit passcode from the card
7. Wait while the address book is loaded - it may take several minutes
8. That's it! The next time you get into your car with BT turned on in your phone, it will pair automatically.

TVN
Is the only way to enable your bt in your car by the dealer? Does anyone know how to get around going to the dealer to have them do that? I have a 2006 x5 without idrive & I am having issues pairing my iphone to the car. I have the pk & try entering it on my phone but it keeps saying unsuccessful make sure your car is in pairing mode/ pin key is correct.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 550 m-sport, 2006 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeezee5 View Post
Is the only way to enable your bt in your car by the dealer? Does anyone know how to get around going to the dealer to have them do that? I have a 2006 x5 without idrive & I am having issues pairing my iphone to the car. I have the pk & try entering it on my phone but it keeps saying unsuccessful make sure your car is in pairing mode/ pin key is correct.
Go check for the pk on the module itself in the back of the car -- it's possible the module was replaced at some point and no one updated the sticked in the manual. There were some hardware issues with early 2006 and earlier modules which resulted in replacements under warranty (and thus a new pk).

One last note to add to the earlier posting of pairing steps. Per the original BT instructions, once you have achieved the initial successful connection you are supposed to turn off the car for 20 sec, then restart and allow the phonebook to transfer. Not sure why they have this step, but I've done it every time and have successfully paired 3 4 different phones (Samsung, 2 different BB's and now and iPhone).
Old 11-17-2010, 10:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 x5
Thanks very much for that info. I will check that as soon as I can get some1 to unscrew the stuff for me. But I was also trying to see if it had something to do with the car being in pairing mode, because I am not getting any activities from the car itself that it is in pairing mode. Only the phone seeing the cars BMW# & me trying to put in the pk, but the car is not telling me anything....
Old 11-21-2010, 05:06 AM
Powder Days

Mein Auto: 2005 X3 2.5i (ED 2004)
I have different problem. My Moto XT720 is paired with my 2005 X3 but it never connects. Neither the phone guy or my SA have a clue what is wrong. Any ideas?

Cheers

"I never understood the dread term "terminal illness" until I saw Heathrow for myself." Dennis Hopper

Last edited by X3 Skier; 11-22-2010 at 09:01 AM.
Old 11-22-2010, 08:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 550 m-sport, 2006 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by X3 Skier View Post
I have different problem. My Moto XT720 is paired with my 2005 X3 but it never connects. Niether the phone guy or my SA have a clue what is wrong. Any ideas?

Cheers
Have you checked that the phone is set to automatically accept the connection? This was an issue on a number of phones (BB's and Samsung's), in that you would make the initial connection but then it would prompt you to connect each subsequent time the phone/car attempted to connect -- unless you went into the phone's BT options for the BMW connection and set it to "trusted" or "auto-connect". Just a thought...

Alternately, you can always delete all phone pairings in the module and try again.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 X3
BT Issues

After owning my 2009 CPO X3 for 4 months the BT stopped working.When I tried to make a call the display on my Nav screen would show "please wait",this message would not change even after 45 minutes.I searched this forum and found alot of useful information.I tried rebooting the BT module, disconnecting the battery,re-pairing,removing device from phone etc. Nothing worked.Called dealer,Assistant said I have a non compatible phone that could have damaged the BMW BT module when phone manufacturer ran an update to my phone and I would be responsible for the cost if that is what would be determined.
So,I did some more searching and found this post from 2005.Took the battery out of my phone for 5 minutes,re-paired and everything is fine,address book downloaded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB View Post
I had a similar problem in my wife's X5. What I would try (and what worked for me) is to take the battery out of your cell phone, let it sit for a minute, put it back in, and try the whole process again. Your whole problem could possibly be with your cell phone, as it was with ours.

We were on a road-trip in our then brand new X5 and the BT functionality had just stopped working for some reason. We followed the manual to the letter and NOTHING. Frustrustated, we stopped by a dealer in SoCal and asked a salesman for some help. He took the battery out, and voila, BT was back up and running. Haven't had a problem with it since then (3+ months ago).

If that doesn't work, I would say a dealer visit is your next step.
Old 02-23-2012, 07:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 X3
Hello i just bought a bmw x 3 2006 on tha steering wheel it shows tha R/T button. The phone i have is the htc G1 mytouch phone. How do i pair my phone to tha car please help
Old 05-31-2012, 07:36 PM

Mein Auto: '06 Z4
Quote:
Originally Posted by PimoX3 View Post
Go check for the pk on the module itself in the back of the car -- it's possible the module was replaced at some point and no one updated the sticked in the manual. There were some hardware issues with early 2006 and earlier modules which resulted in replacements under warranty (and thus a new pk).
Thanks for all the great info on pairing a B/T. I bought a previously loved '06 Z4 and want to pair my Verizon Motorola DroidX with my Z'. Can anyone advise more specifically where in the back of a Z4 I can look to find the pin? I don't have the original manual and don't want to go to the dealer (unsatisfied with service previously received and paid for). Thanks in advance for any assistance offered.

Last edited by leonardml; 05-31-2012 at 07:39 PM.