Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series

6 Series
The BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 11-13-2005, 10:11 AM
///M for Motor Sports!

Mein Auto: No More 6 Series
Cool 6 Series Performance Drive

I am curious, has anyone taken the free 2-day performance drive in SC since taking ownership of your 6er?

If you have, I would love to hear about your experience.

GMAN

2008 Alpine White, Portland Brown ///M5 (SMG)
2008 Alpine White, Fox Red ///M3 (6MT)
2008 Sapphire Black, Black 750Li
Ads by Google
Old 11-13-2005, 10:19 AM
Officially Welcomed to The 'Fest!

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbelton
I am curious, has anyone taken the free 2-day performance drive in SC since taking ownership of your 6er?

GMAN
Can you tell me where the info is on it? I seemed to have missed it. I guess my dealer thought I wouldn't travel to South Caorlina for it. (I will go if I don't have to bring my car. I want to try the SMG to see what Beewang is clucking - or is that quacking - about.)
Old 11-13-2005, 12:45 PM
///M for Motor Sports!

Cool They Don't Tell YOU!

It's a shame that the dealer does not tell you this. I found out when I saw on Bimmerfest the wholesell pricing and I noticed veribage about a 2-day complimentry performance drive in SC. So I called a special 6er number (BMWNA) and I scheduled for this December 15-17! It's free, room and dinner.

I will be able to drive all types... Maybe even the M6, I WISH!

Give me a few minutes I will post the number, maybe if you calendar work you canjoin a fellow BMer owner.

Old 11-13-2005, 01:58 PM
Officially Welcomed to The 'Fest

Mein Auto:
Phone # is 877-673-7437

You drive their cars. Some have signs in them that say "Drive it like you stole it!"

It takes a few weeks for you to show up in the data base at DE. My dealer gave me paperwork, I submitted and then waited till I could get my wife to agree on date (its for 2 people - both can drive). You get yourself there to Spartenburg, BMW does the rest.

I'm scheduled for 27 Nov. Hoping for ICE
Old 11-13-2005, 02:17 PM
///M for Motor Sports!

Nice...

I passed on that date... If you are looking for ice, Demeber would have been the better choice.

Oh, thanks for posting the number.

GMAN

Old 11-13-2005, 03:06 PM
Officially Welcomed to The 'Fest!

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobradav
Phone # is 877-673-7437

You drive their cars. Some have signs in them that say "Drive it like you stole it!"

It takes a few weeks for you to show up in the data base at DE. My dealer gave me paperwork, I submitted and then waited till I could get my wife to agree on date (its for 2 people - both can drive). You get yourself there to Spartenburg, BMW does the rest.

I'll check my calendar but December is usually a busy month for litigators - people get in the spirit and sue the h3ll out of each other.

Two can drive? It won't be the ex. Do you think my almost- 9 year old daughter can take a spin in an M3? She's tall, so her feet will probably reach the pedals.

Last edited by Malibubimmer; 11-13-2005 at 03:42 PM. Reason: Misspelled "busy"!
Old 11-13-2005, 03:27 PM
///M for Motor Sports!

18 or Older I Believe...

I believe the rule is 18 or older to ride... Call the number to double-check. By the way you have a year (from purchase) to exercise the free 2-day performace drive.

GMAN

Old 11-13-2005, 05:20 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 650i
Quote:
I passed on that date... If you are looking for ice, Demeber would have been the better choice.

Oh, thanks for posting the number.

GMAN
Unlikely to find ice in SC in December. However the PCs polished concrete wet skid pad is as slick as ice. I don't know the details of the 6 series program but the M5 program was well worth it. One day to enjoy the mountain roads and one day at the PC to really learn what the car can do. They also treat you like royalty the whole time, even at the hotel.
Old 11-13-2005, 10:05 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X6M
What is the closest airport?

2014 BMW X6 ///M | SpaceGray/BlackPerforatedFullMerino/CarbonLeather
2014 BMW 328xi Touring M-Sport | GlacierSilver/BlackDakota/DarkBurlWalnut
2014 BMW X6 35i M-Perf | TitaniumSilver/BlackNappa/DarkBamboo [wife's ride]

BMW HISTORY | '13 650xiGC, '12 650xi, '11 535xi, '11 X6 50i, '09 750i, '09 328xiT, '08 650i, '07 750i, '07 X5 4.8i, '06 650i, '05 745i, '05 325xiT, '03 745i, '02 745i, '01 325Cic, '01 X5 4.4i, and on...
Old 11-13-2005, 10:21 PM
Bo-ma-win!

Send a message via Yahoo to beewang
Mein Auto: S62 E39
Quote:
Originally Posted by XZLR8

GSP

Greenville/Spartanburg

BMW will pick you up there. At least they did when we did the M5 DE a few years back

Otherwise, ATL is about an hour away
Old 11-14-2005, 07:39 PM
///M for Motor Sports!

Greenville...

You are correct Bee!

GMAN

Old 11-15-2005, 05:39 PM
Officially Welcomed to The 'Fest

Mein Auto:
Here is a bit of info on the DE that does better than I could do to explain what it entails.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	645_DE.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	61422  
Old 11-22-2005, 08:47 AM
Account closed at user's request.

Mein Auto: BMW
6 series drive school (vacation)

Quote:

GMAN
Yes i did the 6 series drive school deal in south carolina and it was awesome but really hard to find out about. By the way i attended well after the 'one year' period.
Wanna know more? Well at one point at the Grove Park Inn on the last day before the drive back to the Performance center the bell hops were busy loading everyones luggage into their appointed 645Ci coupes and a lot of them had their doors ajar, keys in and trunk open and the chimes were going off like you wouldn't believe, they are so loud on that car that it is ridiculous and when you have 10 - 15 of them going off in a small area it is maddening.
Old 11-22-2005, 09:00 AM
///M for Motor Sports!

So...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotrosso
Yes i did the 6 series drive school deal in south carolina and it was awesome but really hard to find out about. By the way i attended well after the 'one year' period.
Wanna know more? Well at one point at the Grove Park Inn on the last day before the drive back to the Performance center the bell hops were busy loading everyones luggage into their appointed 645Ci coupes and a lot of them had their doors ajar, keys in and trunk open and the chimes were going off like you wouldn't believe, they are so loud on that car that it is ridiculous and when you have 10 - 15 of them going off in a small area it is maddening.
I have my filght coming in @ 11AM and departing @5:40PM, is that a to early to arrive and to early to depart?

Are all the perfomance driving cars coupes?

How is it when you have another person with you?

How's the food and hotel stay?

Did you take the complimentry massage, golf, or facial? How was it?

Did you leave with some sort of certificate?

GMAN

Old 11-22-2005, 09:24 AM

just got back and it was a lot of fun, i chose the massage over the golf at the Grove Park Inn
dont get a 3pm tee time, youll be late and rushed. i had a 4pm massage and got their at 4:30 but since everyone was running late they still gave me a full hour massage.
they put you up at the Marriott the first night you arrive and its only a few minutes away from the GSP airport so call for a car as soon as you get off the plane and if you end up taking the hotel shuttle because the car is twenty minutes away its no big deal. also don't let them put you in a room at that marriott that is next to the elevator or on the second floor with a huge air conditioning unit outside your window. i refused the first room they gave me and ended up next to the presidential suite on the seventh floor, it was nice and quiet up there.
Old 11-22-2005, 09:43 AM

ok finally someone with bonafide questions
11 am arrival is fine, you might want to dump your bags and head on into greenville til dinner time
5:45 pm departure is good but thats what we had and american airlines cancelled our flight but since the BMW guys have seen the museum too many times already we ended up getting to the airport early enough to catch an earlier flight outta there
all the six series were coupes, not a convertible in sight (maybe liability concern) but chime is just as loud in the coupe as in the convertible. on the track there was a 330i, M3, a 5 series, a 6 series a 750Li (boat) and a few other 6 series coupes as well (no 650's anywhere). they use 645ci coupes to go up to the Grove park in, half are black with red interiors and half are a faded out goldish color with cream interiors (kinda ugly color combos but what the hell you dont own it). remember to beat the hell out of their cars on the track, they actually encourage it. All the 645ci cars that they use in this program had the loud chimes.
i took my wife since i dumped my girlfriend over a year ago and it was fine, there was one guy there by himself and he left early, real nice guy from Tahoe, everyone else was couples. the food is good, at the Grove Park Inn, on the last morning i suggest ordering a breakfast instead of the buffet. the buffet looks pretty good til you start in on it and then its pretty rough, the orange juice tasted like they had a few rotten oranges in there when they squeezed it but otherwise it wasnt bad.
i suggest the massage from the input i got from the other couples. it got dark early and they started too late for a decent round of golf and some guy was hauling his clubs around??? we did the couples massage but it was strange that they had the guy massage me and the lady massage my wife, if i would have been on my toes i would have changed that but i was worn out and it was a bit yucky to have some guy touching you but my wife said i fell asleep during it and was snoring anyway so i guess its ok. plus there are showers right there.
NO CERTIFICATE, i already contacted my insurance company and NO WAY on a premium reduction.
its a great deal and they know that a lot of people never find out about it. at the dinner at the Grove Park Inn one lady got kinda drunk and started spouting off about how they only found out about it by accident and that her dealer never told her anything about it and they had owned 17 BMWs!!! can't really blame her for being upset.

Last edited by Pilot_Guest; 11-22-2005 at 09:30 PM.
Old 11-22-2005, 09:50 AM

Quote:
It's a shame that the dealer does not tell you this. I found out when I saw on Bimmerfest the wholesell pricing and I noticed veribage about a 2-day complimentry performance drive in SC. So I called a special 6er number (BMWNA) and I scheduled for this December 15-17! It's free, room and dinner.

I will be able to drive all types... Maybe even the M6, I WISH!

Give me a few minutes I will post the number, maybe if you calendar work you canjoin a fellow BMer owner.
they let us look at a white m6 there but no driving it, maybe that will change by the time you get there.
Old 11-22-2005, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Here is a bit of info on the DE that does better than I could do to explain what it entails.
nice one dave, got glasses?
Old 11-22-2005, 10:15 AM

Quote:
I believe the rule is 18 or older to ride... Call the number to double-check. By the way you have a year (from purchase) to exercise the free 2-day performace drive.

GMAN
OVER 18 , there were no kids
Old 11-22-2005, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XZLR8
GSP
or you can fly into Charlotte and drive down
Old 11-22-2005, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Phone # is 877-673-7437

THEY GOT RID OF THOSE SIGNS.
by the way mild winters in south and north carolina, you won't be getting any ice except in your drinks. enjoy
remember to ask how to defeat the chime in your 6 series, they will tell you that you can do it but they can't tell you how.

Last edited by Pilot_Guest; 11-22-2005 at 11:02 AM.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:20 PM
///M for Motor Sports!

Some Good Replys...

Thanks Pilotrosso for all the info.

I am bringing the wife so I will not be a loner...

How about the type of transmisisons (Manual, Automatic, SMG, Steptronic), did you get to drive more than one or were there for you to test run?

Do you get to drive by yourself (With your spouse)?

GMAN

Old 11-22-2005, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibubimmer
Can you tell me where the info is on it? I seemed to have missed it. I guess my dealer thought I wouldn't travel to South Caorlina for it. (I will go if I don't have to bring my car. I want to try the SMG to see what Beewang is clucking - or is that quacking - about.)
you should have gotten a post card in the mail from BMW informing you about the 6 series drive at the performance centre in so carolina. do you read all your mail? mine almost got tossed but when i saw the BMW emblem on it i read it.
smg isnt all that its cracked up to be, i go with the regular auto with manual overide and its just fine.
Old 11-22-2005, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Thanks Pilotrosso for all the info.

I am bringing the wife so I will not be a loner...

How about the type of transmisisons (Manual, Automatic, SMG, Steptronic), did you get to drive more than one or were there for you to test run?

Do you get to drive by yourself (With your spouse)?

GMAN
gbelton
lets hope you are as lucky as we were to get such a great bunch of people like we had in our group at the 6 series drive in South Carolina. i was there for the 6 series deal that was included with the purchase of our beautiful grey with black interior, fully loaded including heated steering wheel, sport package , cold package, premium sound, etc. 645ci convertible. my wife knows more about all the options on that car now that i basically lost intrest in it. ya see i'm driving a far superior 760i now with the V-12. anyway yeah to get back to the 6 series ( i got lost there for a moment ) ahh yeah it was well worth going to it, we bought our 645 cic as soon as they were available, ours was the first one we ever saw on the road. some guy had ordered it exactly the way i would have ordered it and then bailed without even test driving it. when i showed up in jeans and t-shirt they were hesitant to let me test drive it because it only had something like 17 miles on it, blah blah blah. originally we were going to go to the 6 series drive in june or july but i finally realized that it would be really hot and muggy there that time of year and cancelled. A few months later i got a call from BMW asking if i wanted to reschedual and i said 'but thats way over the one year time frame' and they said that was no problem at all. only complaint i have with this car is that for some reason the warning chime on this car is exceptionally loud, louder than any car i have ever had and i've had a lot of cars, its probably three times louder than my '05 760i which doesn't make any sense at all. I am thinking of trading it in on a 650ci convertible but just found out that there is going to be a M6 convertible afterall so we might wait for that but not if that chime is going to be loud and annoying. i wont suffer thru that again. stuffing socks up in their quieted it down but then my wife complained first about the smell and then about how muffled the stereo sounded after that so i had to take them out and put them in the laundry.
go to the '6 driving experience', pick the massage option, hang out in the fabulous spa afterwards (i got lost in there), make sure if you do the couples massage to have the guy massage your wife and the girl massage you not the other way around like they want to do. one more thing and i know this is long but dont eat that duck stuff they try to give you at the bastide winery or whatever its called, when they bring it to you just eat something else, my wife thought it was fine but then shes not a guy. duck frouix or something like that, it was the appetizer before the main course at the luncheon on the last day. i had the flank steak and most everyone else had the sole.

and finally yeah the M5 on the track had smg tranny i think, there is a variety of vehicles you drive, usually just with your wife but on the water course its you and a professional BMW driver/tech type of guy who turns off the scr or whatever its called and makes you do 360's until you figure out how to go around without spinning out then
on the drive up to the grove park inn its just you and your wife in a 645 coupe without a lot of extra options on it. you go single file up there and whatever you do dont forget to turn on your headlights, its a convoy of 6 series and it looks really cool. they have radios in the cars and the lead driver guy radios you telling you that the road it clear in the curves so you can pass slow cars and bicycles on blind corners, its a riot. the guy on the bike must have wondered why we were all taking such a chance to pass him on a blind curve without realizing that we had been radioed that no one was coming the other way, but he still stayed three feet into 'his' lane speedos and all. das phew that answer all?

Last edited by Pilot_Guest; 11-22-2005 at 01:13 PM.
Old 11-22-2005, 01:52 PM
///M for Motor Sports!

Danke

Vielen Dank!

GMAN