Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 11-13-2005, 03:57 PM

Mein Auto: 750li
bluetooth - Samsung A940

Has anyone been successful pairing a samsung a940 to their 750li?

I got one to try out today, and the phone is really cool! Lots of options, and a great interface, but, I have not been able to get it to work with my car.

Basically, I went into the Car Settings, and selected Phone, the then selected pairing.

I then went into the bluetooth settings on my phone and told it to search.

It found the bmw750, and I had to enter in the 4 digit passkey and it accepted it.

The bmw screen showed the a940 as well, but when I try to call out, it does not goto the phone, and when I try to call in, the phone rings, but the hands free in the car does not work!

Any help would be appreciated.
Advertisement
Old 11-13-2005, 06:44 PM

additional information

Also,

When I am performing the pairing, the BMW finds the a940, and it displays at the top of the screen.

The cell phone also shows the connected bluetooth icon, then my phone restarts, and it does not connect again?

So, is it the car's bluetooth, or the phone?

750li
sterling grey
11/2005
Old 11-13-2005, 08:12 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest!

Mein Auto: 2006 750Li Euro Delivery
Many phones are not compatible, however my Samsung i730 that did not work when I first got the car, after upgrading to the car's software version 19.1 it started working hoever the adress book did not transfer.
So I would recomend to upgrade your software and pray.
When did you buy your car?
Old 11-13-2005, 08:17 PM

South Jersey

I purchased my car at DeSimone BMW in Marlton, NJ

750li
sterling grey
11/2005
Old 11-13-2005, 08:18 PM

software version

How can you tell which version is installed in your car?

750li
sterling grey
11/2005
Old 11-13-2005, 08:54 PM

there is no way, look on your door for the production date, if it is older than October you need an update.
Old 11-15-2005, 11:37 AM

I got my A940 just yesterday and am having similar problems. The phone finds the car (06' 750 li) but the phone restarts after - READING DATA shows up on the idrive.

A Sprint tech support person is suppose to call me at 2pm CST to discuss. I'll let you know how it goes!
Old 11-15-2005, 12:15 PM

further problems with a940

I spent over an hour with the sprint tech, and was not able to get much more out of my a940.

I erased all my bluetooth devices from my phone and again paired up with my car.
Next the phone connected, and rebooted, and would not connect again. When I looked at the device on the phone, there was not a connect option.
I then went into the settings for the car bluetooth connection on the phone and told it to search for services. I then told the car to pair again, and now the phone and car repaired, and now I have a connect option on the phone, but as soon as the phone and car connect, the phoneset would lock up, then it would restart and just loop thru this continuously until I turned off bluetooth in the car!

Sprint told me to take the phone back to the store and ask for another to try that.

I will be trying that this evening!

750li
sterling grey
11/2005
Old 11-15-2005, 01:04 PM

My experience was unfortunately very similar.

The Sprint Tech walked me through completely rebooting the phone. I'm talking about stripping it down to the bare bones and letting all the services reload. It still didn't help, I go the same re-booting problem.

I called my dealer here in Milwaukee to inquire about getting phone software updated. They confirmed that they did have the update, but because I wasn't having any software glitches and I wasn't having any problems with a factory approved phone, they would not update the software under warranty and if I wanted it, it would cost approximately $300.00 .

My next step is calling BMW North America. This is my first BMW and let me tell you I'm !@#$ing furrious about having to pay $300 for a software update on a 2 month old car. If this is the customer service I can expect out of BMW .... I guess I'll stop there because I still love the car, but my respect for BMW has just dropped significantly!
Old 11-15-2005, 06:54 PM

Upgrading the car software is your solution. What you need to do is complain about the other symptoms that the old software has problems with : transmission is Jerky and entertainment system does not keep the last device (CD/SAT/CDChanger/Radio) used, for example you turn your car off with CD working and whe you come back to your car in the morning it plays an AM station...

Also the navigation system is rhandomly stuck and does not work, you need to turn the car off for an hour or so and start the car again and the system will rboot and work. also the phone audio becomes a big static noise when using it through the car.
Go to the dealership with these problems and you will get your free update. if the dealer will not accomodate you, go to a different dealer or talk to the forman. If none of the above work.... P.M me
Old 11-15-2005, 08:05 PM
Officially Welcomed to The 'Fest!

Mein Auto:
All Bluetooth's Are Not the Same

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006_750Li_ED
Upgrading the car software is your solution. What you need to do is complain about the other symptoms that the old software has problems with : transmission is Jerky and entertainment system does not keep the last device (CD/SAT/CDChanger/Radio) used, for example you turn your car off with CD working and whe you come back to your car in the morning it plays an AM station...

Also the navigation system is rhandomly stuck and does not work, you need to turn the car off for an hour or so and start the car again and the system will rboot and work. also the phone audio becomes a big static noise when using it through the car.
Go to the dealership with these problems and you will get your free update. if the dealer will not accomodate you, go to a different dealer or talk to the forman. If none of the above work.... P.M me
I think this is bad advice. First of all, Billr317 is not experiencing any other problems. Why lie about it? "If it ain't broke . . ."

The one problem he has is that a non-approved mobile phone will not pair with his car's Bluetooth. So what? I also doubt 16 inch tires will fit on his wheels. What's the problem? The phone he wants to pair has Bluetooth, but it doesn't have software that will allow the iDrive to read his phone book or take over his phone's functions as an earpiece. Billr317 should go to the following URL to see what phones will work with his car: http://www.bmwtransact.com/bluetooth...ble_Phones.htm . What he needs is a new phone, not a software download.

Speaking about software downloads, I also disagree with you about build dates and software updates. My build date is September 13, 2005 (albeit, on a 650i), and I have the latest software. Don't be telling tales out of school. You don't know that an October build date is required for the latest software.

Old 11-15-2005, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibubimmer
I think this is bad advice. First of all, Billr317 is not experiencing any other problems. Why lie about it? "If it ain't broke . . ."

The one problem he has is that a non-approved mobile phone will not pair with his car's Bluetooth. So what? I also doubt 16 inch tires will fit on his wheels. What's the problem? The phone he wants to pair has Bluetooth, but it doesn't have software that will allow the iDrive to read his phone book or take over his phone's functions as an earpiece. Billr317 should go to the following URL to see what phones will work with his car: www.bmwtransact.com/bluetooth/Compatible_Phones.htm . What he needs is a new phone, not a software download.

Speaking about software downloads, I also disagree with you about build dates and software updates. My build date is September 13, 2005 (albeit, on a 650i), and I have the latest software. Don't be telling tales out of school. You don't know that an October build date is required for the latest software.

Perhaps in your car they had an intrim version that partially fixed all the problems I listed, however if he is reporting a phone issue then he probably has the old software which had the problems I listed, just because he did not discover them yet does not mean that he does not have them
Now regarding the phone, if BMW had fixed the compatibility issue with certain phones, he is entitled to it without paying. A 750 costs $80,000 ++ and he should not be asked to pay $300, perhaps you would rather trow away your $700 phone just because some mean service afvisor is refusing him his rights, I suggest that he checked his car for the simptoms that I mentioned, and if they are present he should get a free upgrade, just because he is new to the car and did not realize that his transmission is jerky does not mean that he should have to pay for an upgrade. I am giving him the best possible advise, what you are suggesting is to let him become a victim to BMW's greed.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:44 PM

Mein Auto:
Ignorance

Quote:
Perhaps in your car they had an intrim version that partially fixed all the problems I listed, however if he is reporting a phone issue then he probably has the old software which had the problems I listed, just because he did not discover them yet does not mean that he does not have themNow regarding the phone, if BMW had fixed the compatibility issue with certain phones, he is entitled to it without paying. A 750 costs $80,000 ++ and he should not be asked to pay $300, perhaps you would rather trow away your $700 phone just because some mean service afvisor is refusing him his rights, I suggest that he checked his car for the simptoms that I mentioned, and if they are present he should get a free upgrade, just because he is new to the car and did not realize that his transmission is jerky does not mean that he should have to pay for an upgrade. I am giving him the best possible advise, what you are suggesting is to let him become a victim to BMW's greed.
Your spinning is making me dizzy. You told him to LIE and tell his BMW dealer he had problems with his 7er that he didn't have.
Quote:
What you need to do is complain about the other symptoms that the old software has problems with : transmission is Jerky and entertainment system does not keep the last device (CD/SAT/CDChanger/Radio) used, for example you turn your car off with CD working and whe you come back to your car in the morning it plays an AM station...

Go to the dealership with these problems and you will get your free update. if the dealer will not accomodate you, go to a different dealer or talk to the forman.
Your assumption that a "free upgrade" will make his phone compatible is one of the most ignorant things I have ever heard. When someone complains about his round tires, with holes in the middle, and rubber on the outside, that hold air, won't fit on his 19 inch wheels -- because they are 16 inches in diameter - what's your advice - get a free software upgrade?

His phone won't interface with iDrive. He can get all the upgrades and downloads in the history of the universe, but his $700 phone is not going to work. Right now there appears to be nothing wrong with his car. Your ignorance makes you believe that there is something wrong. If you aren't a software expert I would suggest you leave it alone. You are now giving bad advice and doing more harm than good.

And your bad advice includes telling others to commit fraud. But you justify lying and committing fraud because BMW is greedy. How convenient.

Last edited by Malibubimmer; 11-15-2005 at 09:58 PM.
Old 11-16-2005, 07:48 AM

Thank you very much for the software advice. This is why I've been watching this forum - to learn nuances I may not have been aware of.

For the record, I have been having SIGNIFICANT problems with the transmission being jerky, especially in the first couple of gears in sport mode. I know sport will make it more agressive in accelleration, but the problem is more severe when slowing down. I was very frustrated by this but just assumed it was the nature of the beast. It was annoying enough that when I told friends about the car, I told them how much I loved it but that I was not a fan of the transmission. I've glad to hear there may be a solution for this!

I would also like to clarify one issue. The phone DOES pair with the car. However, when the car try's to READ DATA, it causes the phone to restart.

As far as the free upgrade goes. I don't care if it's $10 or $1000 - it's a matter of principle. When you buy an $80K+ car, you expect to be treated with a certain level of service. For cryin out loud - if I go through a wiper blade they replace that but they won't give me software that they already have and may help my situation without charging me? This just doesn't sound right. I'd expect that if I had a Kia but not a flagship BMW. This is one of the most sophisticated cars in the world and I have often referred to it as a "computer on wheels". It's ridiculous for BMW to NOT keep updating their software to work with newer generations of phones. It would be equally ridiculous to not offer said software to owners at least through the warranty period. If BMW were REALLY smart, they would have made the software upgradable through the BMW assist module so you didn't have to go to the dealer at all!

PS: The other thing that's been annoying me about the car is how it runs when it's cold. It runs like crap for the first minute or two before smoothing out. I asked the dealer about it and they gave me a line about its some kind of emmissions pump warming up and building pressure. Does this sound right? Anyone else experience this?
Old 11-16-2005, 11:49 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 645Ci
I would stick to the phone list the BMW has certified if you have compatiblity issues.

If you try other phones and they work, that's great!

Software issues (idrive code) will not address particular cell phone model issues.

They will however, address general Blue Tooth syncing issues that affect all phones.

BMW would be very foolish to write code for phones that are obsolete in a few months. So they focus on standard API's that all manufacturers adhere to, or should.

This is why they no longer support ipod's specifically in new model cars. Instead they focus on general aux inputs for music devices.
Old 11-16-2005, 01:05 PM

Unfortunately, BMW only has two approved phones for Sprint. Now Sprint hasn't exactly jumped on the Bluetooth bandwagon with a ton of different models, but of the two Sprint models they have listed, only one is current.

It is irresponsible for BMW NOT to keep current with the popular models from the main cell service providers.

I think the Bluetooth feature is great. But, it' only a feature if I can get my phone to work with it. If I can't get a phone to work from my provider (and lets face it - Sprint is one of the big boys and the only current Sprint phone BMW supports is a PDA Treo 650), they might as well have stuck with a proprietary BMW phone.
Old 11-16-2005, 01:53 PM
Banned

Correction,

It is irresponsible for cell phone makers NOT to adhere to blue tooth standards.

Don't blame BMW, they are just the messenger. The cell phone companies are the ones sending the message. They all agreed to the same blue tooth standard. If one company veers off from the agreed spec, I don't see how it would be BMW's fault.

If you really want a phone to work, go to a phone store and try some phones. Most stores will let you try phones for 15 days and exchange for another if it does not work.

For heavens sake, do you know how many phones have blue tooth? You really think BMW should make it its life's work to keep your phone sync'd. You have a sad misconception how business works.

I would look to Samsung to update the firmware on the phone. Or at least ask them why other phones sync via blue tooth but theirs does not?

Be thankful BMW tested and approved a handful of phones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan009
Unfortunately, BMW only has two approved phones for Sprint. Now Sprint hasn't exactly jumped on the Bluetooth bandwagon with a ton of different models, but of the two Sprint models they have listed, only one is current.

It is irresponsible for BMW NOT to keep current with the popular models from the main cell service providers.

I think the Bluetooth feature is great. But, it' only a feature if I can get my phone to work with it. If I can't get a phone to work from my provider (and lets face it - Sprint is one of the big boys and the only current Sprint phone BMW supports is a PDA Treo 650), they might as well have stuck with a proprietary BMW phone.

Last edited by chuck92103; 11-16-2005 at 02:01 PM.
Old 11-16-2005, 02:09 PM

Two (one current) is a handful??

A distorted perception of reality to be sure.

Lets face it, there are no "standards" for bluetooth and that's why it's such a dubious technology. Bluetooth had the opportunity to be a mainstream technology and it has lost that window because there everyone has their own profiles.

As far as BMW goes, why didn't they implement "Widget" technology? Because nobody has "Widget" capable phones. If you are going to adopt a technology such as Bluetooth and sell it as a feature, you are taking on the responsiblity of making sure your feature is compatible with most mainstream implementations of said technology.

As to your "you don't understand how business works" comment, I beg to differ with you - so does BMW. You see this whole arguement isn't really about whether or not BMW should be continually updating their software - they agree that they should as evidenced by the fact that they already have. The real debate is if you sell a customer an $80K piece of equipment and 60-90 days later update the software for that equipment in the same model year, shouldn't you make that available to early adopters? We aren't talking about putting software for a 2007 model in a 2006 car. The individuals who would NOT want to service their customers in such a simple way are the ones who don't understand how to a business and build a brand.
2000 Harley Dyna Wide Glide
1978 Pontiac Trans AM
Old 11-16-2005, 02:23 PM
Banned

You are ALL over the map contradicting yourself. You feel that blue tooth is not a standard although lots of products work with it.

In addition to it not being a standard, BMW should be responsible for supporting a non tested phone? Did I get that right.

Makes perfect sense to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan009

Lets face it, there are no "standards" for bluetooth .
Old 11-16-2005, 02:35 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck92103
You are ALL over the map contradicting yourself. You feel that blue tooth is not a standard although lots of products work with it.

In addition to it not being a standard, BMW should be responsible for supporting a non tested phone? Did I get that right.

Makes perfect sense to me.
At least Ryan009 is not suggesting more iDrive computer downloads to make incompatible phones work with BMWs!

And he does have a point. BMW lists only 17 compatible phones, 11 of which are no longer current models. But then, again, BMW has lots of other priorities with its software rather than to make iDrive a "jack of all trades" system for every possible Bluetooth profile.
Old 11-16-2005, 02:47 PM
Banned

True, but when BMW identified and tested the phones a couple years ago they were current. LG comes out with new phones every few months. With all the manufacturers, service providers, etc. how do you keep u with it? Pretty darn impossible.

This will be an issue with any car phone. Remember the CPT9000, what crap they were and obsolete before they were installed in the first car.

cell phones and cars wil always be at odds until ALL auto manufacturers and ALL cell maker agree and adhere to a standard.

I give credit to BMW for at least trying.

I work for a major wirless company and suffice it to say, I know it is not BMW's fault based on the nonsense and backroom deals I see in the industry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibubimmer
At least Ryan009 is not suggesting more iDrive computer downloads to make incompatible phones work with BMWs!

And he does have a point. BMW lists only 17 compatible phones, 11 of which are no longer current models. But then, again, BMW has lots of other priorities with its software rather than to make iDrive a "jack of all trades" system for every possible Bluetooth profile.

Last edited by chuck92103; 11-16-2005 at 02:49 PM.