Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 11-13-2005, 06:09 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 06 530 xi t
paint chips

i know this topic has been discussed before, but i wanted to bring it up again. i have noticed two paint chips occurring without any scraping ocurring. my detailer said that in his opinion the new bmw is hard which is both good news and bad news. he said it is good in the sense that it is harder to scratch, but the bad news is that once it is scratched it is harder to get out. he said by contrast mercedes paint is soft and scratches more easily but can be buffed out. i am a littl concerned about the ease with which these spontaneous chips are occurring. anyone else having a similar experience?
Ads by Google
Old 11-13-2005, 06:13 PM
Bo-ma-win!

Send a message via Yahoo to beewang
Mein Auto: S62 E39
where are the chips at??

Have you considered X-pel/Clear bra for protection??

BTW, that hard/soft paint story from whatever the dealer is bunch of horse*****t. They all use the same water based paint
Old 11-13-2005, 08:12 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 06 530 xi t
interesting

Quote:
Originally Posted by beewang
where are the chips at??

Have you considered X-pel/Clear bra for protection??

BTW, that hard/soft paint story from whatever the dealer is bunch of horse*****t. They all use the same water based paint
one chip is on the edge of the passenger door. i noticed it in italy. my detailer touched it up and no one can see it. the one i just discovered is on the hood just above one of the kidney grills. it is a weird area since one would think nothing would come into contact with that area. yes, i have considered one of those clear bras but i dont really like them and my detailer (who i think is very good) advised against it. it was the detailer who told me about hard and soft paint. what you say makes sense although he works with these paint surfaces day in and day out. i would think he would know
Old 11-14-2005, 06:45 AM
Rocket Scientist

Mein Auto: 2010 M3 and 2011 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonman
one chip is on the edge of the passenger door. i noticed it in italy. my detailer touched it up and no one can see it. the one i just discovered is on the hood just above one of the kidney grills. it is a weird area since one would think nothing would come into contact with that area. yes, i have considered one of those clear bras but i dont really like them and my detailer (who i think is very good) advised against it. it was the detailer who told me about hard and soft paint. what you say makes sense although he works with these paint surfaces day in and day out. i would think he would know
The chip on your hood is likely from a rock off the road. I have one just above the right grille not too far from the roundel on the hood. Don't worry, if you drive the car any amount, especially if they put cinders down during the winter, you'll get more.