Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-14-2005, 08:13 AM
Spartacus_33's Avatar
Spartacus_33 Spartacus_33 is offline
Spartacus_33
Location: Vancouver, WA. USA
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 813
Mein Auto: 2008 Black Jeep Wrangler
Angry I got hit TWICE over the weekend!!!!!

I STILL cannot believe it! I know of no one who parks more carefully than I do............

Friday morning I stopped by the dealership to have them take a look at a minor issue that I've been having.... while I was inside, I watched a guy in a 1997 red firebird slowly back up and then turn sharply right into my car! Couldn't believe it as it unfolded right before my eyes. My gf was inside my car reached over to honk the horn..... NOTHING! Seems with the key OFF, the horn doesn't work!

There wasn't any damage to the door, just a small area above the driver's side rear tire.

THEN...... Saturday night we went to dinner. It was raining, so I dropped my gf off at the door and then went in search of a "safe" parking space.

First I parked (on an end as I always do) next to an island that had some bushes that I thought might scratch when I opened my door..... so I moved to a second "end" space. Once there, I looked up and noticed that the rain was driping off the roof and I didn't want any contaminants dripping onto my Jet Black paint..... so I moved again. This spot (sounds like red riding hood) was all the way across the lot on the end and under a bright light.

When I returned (after dinner) I noticed a 6" triangular piece of my bumper sticking out. Some A$$hole, must have parked next to me and when backing out... somehow "hooked" the inside of my rear fender and ripped the bumper!

Can you believe it? TWICE in 2 days?????
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	first.gif
Views:	317
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	61252   Click image for larger version

Name:	rip_1.gif
Views:	273
Size:	196.1 KB
ID:	61253   Click image for larger version

Name:	rip_2.gif
Views:	273
Size:	207.0 KB
ID:	61254  
__________________
Thanks,
Spartacus_33
-------------------
2012 Audi Q5 3.2
2005 Jet Black/Black 545i - Retired
1999 Jet Black/Black 528i - Retired
1996 Jet Black/Black 328i - Retired

Last edited by Spartacus_33; 11-14-2005 at 10:44 AM.
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 11-14-2005, 09:06 AM
newbimmer newbimmer is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Nothern VA
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 215
Mein Auto: 2011 E93 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus_33
I cannot believe it! I know of no one who parks more carefully than I do............

Friday morning I stopped by the dealership to have them take a look at a minor issue that I've been having.... while I was inside, I watched a guy in a 1997 red firebird slowly back up and then turn sharply right into my car! Couldn't believe it as it unfolded right before my eyes. My gf was inside my car reached over to honk the horn..... NOTHING! Seems with the key OFF, the horn doesn't work!

There wasn't any damage to the door, just a small area above the driver's side rear tire.

THEN...... Saturday night we went to dinner. It was raining, so I dropped my gf off at the door and then went in search of a "safe" parking space.

First I parked (on an end as I always do) next to an island that had some bushes that I thought might scratch when I opened my door..... so I moved to a second "end" space. Once there, I looked up and noticed that the rain was driping off the roof and I didn't want any contaminants dripping onto my Jet Black paint..... so I moved again. This spot (sounds like red riding hood) was all the way across the lot on the end and under a bright light.

When I returned (after dinner) I noticed a 6" triangular piece of my bumper sticking out. Some A$$hole, must have parked next to me and when backing out... somehow "hooked" the inside of my rear fender and ripped the bumper!

Can you believe it? TWICE in 2 days?????
Ouch, that really sucks and is freakish bad luck. Soem people are clueless and careless. Hang in there though.
__________________
2011 E93 M3 Pickup 6/24/11
Jet Black/Tan Novillo/DCT/Premium Pkg/19" Wheels/CWP

2009 335i CV Pick-Up 08/08/09
Alpine White/Saddle Leather/M SPT Pkg

2008 535xi May 15, 2007 Pick-Up Retired 08/08/09
Monaco Blue/Beige Dakota Seats/

2006 530 XI Delivery May 15, 2007 Retired
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-14-2005, 10:05 AM
hpowders's Avatar
hpowders hpowders is offline
Ahh! Summer Weather!!
Location: South of Brooklyn
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 13,326
Mein Auto: E90, Porsche 911, VW GTI
Where to park is becoming more and more of a problem.
I went to a good restaurant last week which happens to be in a questionable neighborhood in a strip mall with tight parking spaces. People making u-turns all over the lot.
Every few minutes I was leaving the restaurant to check on the car.
Couldn't relax.
Bringing the car to the dealer. Same thing. Cars coming from all different directions with tight parking spaces. U-turns with no margin for error. A potential nightmare.
Very sorry to hear about your misfortune.
Glad to hear you and your gf weren't hurt.
Hope the car looks as good as new when you get it fixed.
Good luck!
__________________
There is no more beautiful car on Bimmerfest than my gorgeous Forest Green Porsche 911 coupe!


Porsche: Accept no substitute, unless you're poor!

The E90 sedan is the last in the line of great 4 door 3 Series BMW's. Too bad.

"The VW GTI remains and will likely continue to be one of the finest compact sports cars in the world." Christian Seabaugh, Motortrend, March 27, 2012.

06/02/2005-06/02/2014: 9 great years on Bimmerfest!!!

Last edited by hpowders; 11-14-2005 at 10:15 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-14-2005, 10:57 AM
Me530's Avatar
Me530 Me530 is online now
Happily Driving
Location: Illinois
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 5,312
Mein Auto: 2014 550i M Sport
Man that sucks. I feel your pain!
__________________
2014 550i M Sport, European Delivery May 2014
2013 X3 35i, Dealer Delivery July 2012

Gone, but not forgotten:
2006 530i
, European Delivery June 2005
2008 335i Coupe 6MT, PCD November 2007
2011 550i M Sport, European Delivery May 2011


BMWCCA #350568
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-14-2005, 01:46 PM
credit777's Avatar
credit777 credit777 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Diego
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 444
Mein Auto: 750i
That really sucks... so sorry to hear about that. And for it to happen twice...and on the same weekend. .

I'm like you when it comes to parking. I always park as far away as possible - even in adjacent lots if I have to. I don't mind the walk at all - and I always feel a lot better. But it bothers me to no end that someone would nail your car - and simply drive off.

Don't worry though - the damage is such that you'll never notice it once its repaired. (OK...maybe you will - but no one else! )
__________________


[His] 2006 750i Sport - Jet Black, 21" wheels, premium sound, luxury seating, convenience, comfort access, Sirius (Jet)
[Hers] 2008 650i - Metallic Black, Sports, Prem Sound, HUD, HD Radio, Cold Weather, Sirius (Shiloh)

Moved on from:
2005 645Ci (Ava)
2004 545i (Chief)
2002 330i (Kira)
1998 528i (Slick)
1999 540i (Sly)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-14-2005, 02:10 PM
mdreviews mdreviews is offline
Bay Em Vay User
Location: California
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 174
Mein Auto: 06 530i
Sorry to hear about it. I would have been pissed as hell. I always worry about someone parking next to me and putting dents in it.

Good luck to you.
__________________
ED 2006 530i: Mystic Blue, Beige Leather Interior, Steptronic, Sports Package, Premium Package, NAV, Comfort Seats.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-14-2005, 03:57 PM
2001 540 AZ 2001 540 AZ is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Gilbert, AZ
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 141
Mein Auto: 2001 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus_33
I STILL cannot believe it! I know of no one who parks more carefully than I do............

Friday morning I stopped by the dealership to have them take a look at a minor issue that I've been having.... while I was inside, I watched a guy in a 1997 red firebird slowly back up and then turn sharply right into my car! Couldn't believe it as it unfolded right before my eyes. My gf was inside my car reached over to honk the horn..... NOTHING! Seems with the key OFF, the horn doesn't work!

There wasn't any damage to the door, just a small area above the driver's side rear tire.

THEN...... Saturday night we went to dinner. It was raining, so I dropped my gf off at the door and then went in search of a "safe" parking space.

First I parked (on an end as I always do) next to an island that had some bushes that I thought might scratch when I opened my door..... so I moved to a second "end" space. Once there, I looked up and noticed that the rain was driping off the roof and I didn't want any contaminants dripping onto my Jet Black paint..... so I moved again. This spot (sounds like red riding hood) was all the way across the lot on the end and under a bright light.

When I returned (after dinner) I noticed a 6" triangular piece of my bumper sticking out. Some A$$hole, must have parked next to me and when backing out... somehow "hooked" the inside of my rear fender and ripped the bumper!

Can you believe it? TWICE in 2 days?????
Enough to make you sick to your stomach. Like you I park as far away as I can. And as usual some BONE HEAD has to park close

What pi**** me off the most is they drive away without leaving a note or anything
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-14-2005, 04:48 PM
indianboy821 indianboy821 is offline
Registered User
Location: Ellicott City, MD
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 36
Mein Auto: 2 '06 330i's
I feel your pain. My 6 month old car has already been hit by a hubcap, hit by a flying shovel from a landscape truck, backed into, and run into by my trusty dealer. All the damage has been repaired but talk about bad luck
__________________
2006 BMW 330i-Sparkling Graphite-Black Dakota Leather-Steptronic-Premium Package-Sport Package-Cold Weather Package-Navigation/I-Drive-PDC-Power Sunshades-Hardwired V1-20% tint
and
2006 BMW 330i-Black Sapphire-Black Dakota Leather-Steptronic-Premium Package-Sport Package-Cold Weather Package-Navigation/I-Drive-PDC-20% tint
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-14-2005, 06:54 PM
mdsbuc's Avatar
mdsbuc mdsbuc is offline
Beemin' in my Bimmer ;-)
Location: Tampa Bay
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 3,551
Mein Auto: F30 335i MSpt- Mus GT 5.0
I surely feel the pain too. On the bright side, only one trip needed to the body shop. The second event didn't happen after the repairs to the first had been made.
__________________
.

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers


2013 335i M Sport- EBII / BLACK / Dk Walnut
Pkgs-Prem/ DHP/ Tech/ DA/DA+ Opts- 8Sprt AT/ Htd FS/ HK/ Hi Bm Asst/ 403 19" w/perf

ED#2-04/23/13-
Photos:
https://picasaweb.google.com/mdsbuc/...eat=directlink
ED#1-10/10/05-
Photos:
https://picasaweb.google.com/mdsbuc/...eat=directlink
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-14-2005, 07:55 PM
NGage NGage is offline
Registered User
Location: MO
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 54
Mein Auto: 2006 530xi
Man, I am sorry to hear that. I've got a sick feeling in MY stomach, I know you must too. Parking is definitely a problem in keeping a car from being damaged. In order to make more spaces they are making each space smaller and smaller now. And you can't take up two, then you get someone that damages the car intentionally because of their perception of you.

What makes it worse for me, is that our 530xi is mostly my wife's daily driver, and she just doesn't think of things like this. She also has the "it's just a car" attitude and feels like it will happen anyway so why fight it.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-15-2005, 08:16 AM
Spartacus_33's Avatar
Spartacus_33 Spartacus_33 is offline
Spartacus_33
Location: Vancouver, WA. USA
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 813
Mein Auto: 2008 Black Jeep Wrangler
Thanks for the condolences........ I got the estimates yesterday:

Damage at my dealership = $2500.
Damage caused by hit and run = $820.

Does anyone have any information about how to collect "diminished value"?
__________________
Thanks,
Spartacus_33
-------------------
2012 Audi Q5 3.2
2005 Jet Black/Black 545i - Retired
1999 Jet Black/Black 528i - Retired
1996 Jet Black/Black 328i - Retired
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-15-2005, 09:58 AM
dust dust is offline
Registered User
Location: NY
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 15
Mein Auto: LS 400 LS 430 - Lexus™
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus_33
Thanks for the condolences........ I got the estimates yesterday:

Damage at my dealership = $2500.
Damage caused by hit and run = $820.

Does anyone have any information about how to collect "diminished value"?
The 2500 is going to come out of your pocket? You wont be covered ? I thought the 4 year free maintenance would play a big role here no? At least tell me your insurance will cover that....2500. I am sorry but this is redicilous, you have to pay for something that you never caused, especially in a situation like yours, parking damages...just bad luck, hang in there the sun will shine your way sooner then you think!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-15-2005, 10:10 AM
Spartacus_33's Avatar
Spartacus_33 Spartacus_33 is offline
Spartacus_33
Location: Vancouver, WA. USA
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 813
Mein Auto: 2008 Black Jeep Wrangler
Quote:
Originally Posted by dust
The 2500 is going to come out of your pocket? You wont be covered ? I thought the 4 year free maintenance would play a big role here no? At least tell me your insurance will cover that....2500. I am sorry but this is redicilous, you have to pay for something that you never caused, especially in a situation like yours, parking damages...just bad luck, hang in there the sun will shine your way sooner then you think!
The insurance company for the idiot who hit me at the dealership is paying the $2500, plus furnishing a rental car (luxury class).
My uninsured motorist coverage is taking care of the second hit. I will, however have to pay a $300 deductable.

My concern is attempting to collect a diminshed value claim. From my research, I see that most attempts are unsuccessful since it's a subjective claim that the car is now worth less.
__________________
Thanks,
Spartacus_33
-------------------
2012 Audi Q5 3.2
2005 Jet Black/Black 545i - Retired
1999 Jet Black/Black 528i - Retired
1996 Jet Black/Black 328i - Retired
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-15-2005, 10:27 AM
AGarvey AGarvey is offline
Registered User
Location: Chicago
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 42
Send a message via AIM to AGarvey
Mein Auto: 530xit
I know the feeling. I live in the city and I street park this car so I made sure that I got a clear bra on the front and back of the vehicle. The first day with the clear bra someone backed into the front of it but luckily the bra did the job and saved the car. I then had someone parking behind me that hit the car so hard that it cut through the bra. I paid 100 bucks to have the bra replaced but it again did its job and protected the paint. The next week I had someone scrape all the way down the passenger side of the car when it was parked. The next week I had someone hit the back again and cut through the bra again. Then finally, on Sunday, I walked out the the car and the driver side mirror was hanging off the side of the car. And I just picked up the car August 30th. So, trust me, I feel your pain.
__________________
2006 BMW 530xit
2006 Range Rover HSE
2004 Mercedes CLK55
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-15-2005, 11:27 AM
Stuka Stuka is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Los Angeles
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 3,676
Mein Auto: German
I used to have this problem about worrying about where to park.

And then I bought a beater E30. Any time that I am going somewhere where I know people can't park, grocery stores, costco, home depot, etc, I take the beater.

Voila, no more dings on the Turbo.
__________________
06 M3 6 speed CB/black ZCP
13 STI sedan WRB/alcantara
14 Evo GSR White/black
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-15-2005, 11:31 AM
Spartacus_33's Avatar
Spartacus_33 Spartacus_33 is offline
Spartacus_33
Location: Vancouver, WA. USA
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 813
Mein Auto: 2008 Black Jeep Wrangler
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGarvey
I know the feeling. I live in the city and I street park this car so I made sure that I got a clear bra on the front and back of the vehicle. The first day with the clear bra someone backed into the front of it but luckily the bra did the job and saved the car. I then had someone parking behind me that hit the car so hard that it cut through the bra. I paid 100 bucks to have the bra replaced but it again did its job and protected the paint. The next week I had someone scrape all the way down the passenger side of the car when it was parked. The next week I had someone hit the back again and cut through the bra again. Then finally, on Sunday, I walked out the the car and the driver side mirror was hanging off the side of the car. And I just picked up the car August 30th. So, trust me, I feel your pain.
HOLY $HIT! It really make you wonder whether it's worth the effort and financial investment, when so many others seem to not give a DAM&!

I spent 2 years driving other cars that compare with the 545 and then "dealing" for the best price....... then a wonderful ED trip, getting to see and experience Munich and Paris........ I've spent countless hours researching products on the "Detailing Forum" here at bimmerfest.... then countless hours in the garage applying these products then trying to convince my gf that she really does mean more to me than the car... .

The car is/was (will be again) absolutely incredible... then this and instances like yours happen...........
__________________
Thanks,
Spartacus_33
-------------------
2012 Audi Q5 3.2
2005 Jet Black/Black 545i - Retired
1999 Jet Black/Black 528i - Retired
1996 Jet Black/Black 328i - Retired
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-15-2005, 12:21 PM
sdriver's Avatar
sdriver sdriver is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Mountain View
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 197
Mein Auto: 2004 530i/SMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGarvey
I know the feeling. I live in the city and I street park this car so I made sure that I got a clear bra on the front and back of the vehicle. The first day with the clear bra someone backed into the front of it but luckily the bra did the job and saved the car. I then had someone parking behind me that hit the car so hard that it cut through the bra. I paid 100 bucks to have the bra replaced but it again did its job and protected the paint. The next week I had someone scrape all the way down the passenger side of the car when it was parked. The next week I had someone hit the back again and cut through the bra again. Then finally, on Sunday, I walked out the the car and the driver side mirror was hanging off the side of the car. And I just picked up the car August 30th. So, trust me, I feel your pain.
Dude... just move. That is insane... do you live in the crack-whore part of town?


Last edited by sdriver; 11-15-2005 at 12:36 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-15-2005, 03:12 PM
AGarvey AGarvey is offline
Registered User
Location: Chicago
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 42
Send a message via AIM to AGarvey
Mein Auto: 530xit
Ha. No, I don't live in a crack whore part of town....I actually live in a very nice part of Chicago and it is actually an area that is not too congested and there is always parking around. I would put it in the garage but I think the most expensive car should be garaged.
__________________
2006 BMW 530xit
2006 Range Rover HSE
2004 Mercedes CLK55
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11-16-2005, 04:43 PM
Ågent99's Avatar
Ågent99 Ågent99 is offline
Moderator, 5-Series
Location: Bay Area, CA
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 5,931
Mein Auto: Trek 6500 MTB
Diminished value on these very minor repairs is something I seriously doubt you'll get. I think you are going a bit overboard trying to claim that. Frankly, I don't see how the value is diminished...everything will be good as new.

Other than that, just realize that this is only a car and it can be fixed. Yeah, it sucks and I would be equally upset but at the end of the day, it is just a car and it will be fixed! Chin up!

__________________
2001 530i/5 (E39), Topaz Blue/Stone Green/Black (118k miles) *very rare interior/exterior color combo*
2005 545i/SMG (E60), ED Order, Titanium Grey/Grey (lease over)
2015 335i, ED Order Summer 2015
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 11-16-2005, 05:36 PM
Me530's Avatar
Me530 Me530 is online now
Happily Driving
Location: Illinois
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 5,312
Mein Auto: 2014 550i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGarvey
...a very nice part of Chicago and it is actually an area that is not too congested and there is always parking around.
Allright, I thought such a place (not too congested and always a place to park) was a myth? Do you live in the city proper?
__________________
2014 550i M Sport, European Delivery May 2014
2013 X3 35i, Dealer Delivery July 2012

Gone, but not forgotten:
2006 530i
, European Delivery June 2005
2008 335i Coupe 6MT, PCD November 2007
2011 550i M Sport, European Delivery May 2011


BMWCCA #350568
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 11-16-2005, 06:18 PM
AGarvey AGarvey is offline
Registered User
Location: Chicago
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 42
Send a message via AIM to AGarvey
Mein Auto: 530xit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me530
Allright, I thought such a place (not too congested and always a place to park) was a myth? Do you live in the city proper?
I do. Friday and Saturday nights are sometimes a little harder, so I just go one street up and there is always parking there.
__________________
2006 BMW 530xit
2006 Range Rover HSE
2004 Mercedes CLK55
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 11-17-2005, 07:52 AM
Spartacus_33's Avatar
Spartacus_33 Spartacus_33 is offline
Spartacus_33
Location: Vancouver, WA. USA
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 813
Mein Auto: 2008 Black Jeep Wrangler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ågent99
Diminished value on these very minor repairs is something I seriously doubt you'll get. I think you are going a bit overboard trying to claim that. Frankly, I don't see how the value is diminished...everything will be good as new.

Other than that, just realize that this is only a car and it can be fixed. Yeah, it sucks and I would be equally upset but at the end of the day, it is just a car and it will be fixed! Chin up!

I agree "it's just a car"....... but.... just to repair the damage to the quarter panel, they have to do the following:
-Remove the rubber trim around the rear window... for blending the paint.
-Remove the rear window from the rear door.
-Remove the door panel from the rear door.
-Remove the door handle from the rear door.
-Partially remove the piece the runs underneath the 2 doors.
-Repaint the rear door, rear quarter panel and the strip the runs aboove both doors.

All these things could cause leaking and/or rattles...... and it's not factory Dingolfling paint.

The repair shop that I'm taking it to is the best in the area. They had (among other cars) 2 SL600 roadsters and one SL55 AMG being repaired. They guarantee their work for the as long as I own the car...... but it still isn't the same.

My chin is up.... but I'm still not happy about it.
__________________
Thanks,
Spartacus_33
-------------------
2012 Audi Q5 3.2
2005 Jet Black/Black 545i - Retired
1999 Jet Black/Black 528i - Retired
1996 Jet Black/Black 328i - Retired
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 11-17-2005, 08:22 AM
Ågent99's Avatar
Ågent99 Ågent99 is offline
Moderator, 5-Series
Location: Bay Area, CA
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 5,931
Mein Auto: Trek 6500 MTB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus_33
I agree "it's just a car"....... but.... just to repair the damage to the quarter panel, they have to do the following:
-Remove the rubber trim around the rear window... for blending the paint.
-Remove the rear window from the rear door.
-Remove the door panel from the rear door.
-Remove the door handle from the rear door.
-Partially remove the piece the runs underneath the 2 doors.
-Repaint the rear door, rear quarter panel and the strip the runs aboove both doors.
People have more than this done to install aftermarket stereos and video systems in there cars! How about adding the aero kit?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus_33
All these things could cause leaking and/or rattles...... and it's not factory Dingolfling paint.
If it is done right, how? Who is to say the guy installing these things in Dongolfing didn't have a fight with his wife that morning and wasn't in a good mood when he built your car? The aero kit is installed and painted here...uh-oh! My 2001 530i has been hit 4 times in all different spots. I challenge you to look at my car and tell me it doesn't look showroom fresh!

Hmm, I also wonder if anyone ever repaints their hood or bumpers....

Look, I'm just busting your chops. I know a guy like you...he even insisted that it has to be a German working on fixing his M5 when he had a mishap with some road debris and it tore up his bumper.

As far as dimnished value, I think something along the lines of rolling the car or your frame needing straightened or several body panels needed replacement or major driveline components (whole hubs, engine, rear diff/axle) would qualify as dimnished value. Besides, I don't think any of this will be recorded with the history of the car...who is going to know except you and whoever reads this thread? Carfax won't list this most certainly and the dealer's records shouldn't have it listed unless you visited them to fix it.

__________________
2001 530i/5 (E39), Topaz Blue/Stone Green/Black (118k miles) *very rare interior/exterior color combo*
2005 545i/SMG (E60), ED Order, Titanium Grey/Grey (lease over)
2015 335i, ED Order Summer 2015
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 11-17-2005, 08:54 AM
E2R41L's Avatar
E2R41L E2R41L is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 171
Mein Auto: 2006 Jet Black BMW 325i
Sorry to hear that, I hope the damage does not cost too much to fix.
__________________
Jet Black 2006 325i
Tan Interior
Navigation
Premium and Cold Package
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 11-17-2005, 09:56 AM
Stuka Stuka is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Los Angeles
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 3,676
Mein Auto: German
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ågent99
If it is done right, how? Who is to say the guy installing these things in Dongolfing didn't have a fight with his wife that morning and wasn't in a good mood when he built your car? The aero kit is installed and painted here...uh-oh! My 2001 530i has been hit 4 times in all different spots. I challenge you to look at my car and tell me it doesn't look showroom fresh!
Well, I am fluent in Ultramate and Pathways, and I bet that I can tell you where your car was fixed.

This is why I lease cars. Once it has been hit, a really really good shop can only get the car to 80% of the original factory spec, that is it.

1. They don't dip the new panel in acid and paint the rest of the car the way that the factory odes it.

2. Ther ewill be somd blending involved. Meaning, the have to paint adjacent panels in order ot blend the paint on the new panel.

3. Normal good shops have no chemical processing capability and can only make sure that the replacement panel is free of eye detectable containmenant. The oil, dust, and whatever stuff that eyes can't see, they don't care.

4. It is impossible to get the right blend due to paint fading process on the rest of the car. Not to mention most shops don't even use Glasurit.

I can go on and on, but suffice to say that I think very lowly of the bodyshop/sinruance business. Not to say that ther earen't good ones, but most will cut corners to save a $30K job rather than totalling the car.
__________________
06 M3 6 speed CB/black ZCP
13 STI sedan WRB/alcantara
14 Evo GSR White/black
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What I did this weekend (and last weekend) Pete Teoh Off-Topic 5 10-19-2003 09:28 PM
Show us your "hood" - turn in your weekend assignments JetBlack330i Off-Topic 25 09-03-2003 09:04 PM
Thanks Franco and Jon from my M3 this weekend (long) m3buyer Ask-A-Dealer 3 09-02-2003 08:56 AM
2004 330CIC Silver/Grey - First Weekend deanster2u 3 Series / 4 Series 12 07-14-2003 06:23 PM
My take on the Button Willow weekend Stuka Motorsports, Racing & Track 3 09-24-2002 08:58 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms