Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 11-17-2005, 03:43 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 645Ci
Shoot, read the manual, you do not have to go through all that.

You can adjust base/treble/tone from within each radio station directly. Get back to radio? hold idrive lever back for 2 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdriver
My only bitch with iDrive is it takes a long time to do anything.

I need to tweak the Bass... Press Menu, Turn, push, press up, turn, press down, turn, press, press down, turn treble, press right, turn bass.

Now to get back to radio, menu, press down, press down, press down, push, and push.

I just pissed myself off typing all that in from memory... I'm sure I missed a turn/press/slide/whatever...

:angry:
Old 11-17-2005, 05:56 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '03 M3 Vert (Jan '10)
I guess the fact that I don't do much tweaking of anything except the climate vent settings has a lot to do with my acceptance of iDrive. All I usually do is push left for Climate then press down to select Vent Settings, then all I have to do is turn the knob a click or two in either direction for cooler or warmer vent air. The radio is never changed because I have an XM SkyFi receiver and once my bass/treble settings were made, I haven't changed them either.

2003.5 M3 Vert (Jan '10)
2006 530xiT (previous)
2004 X3 3.0 (previous)
2003 325i (previous)
2004 Z4 2.5 (Son #1)
2004 Z4 3.0 (Son#2)
Old 11-17-2005, 06:26 PM
Banned

Same here, the audio input can selected through the steering wheel button assignment along with preset stations, volume control, etc.

Passenger can change stations, adjust audio, by using the external volume knob
and the left-right arrows by the cd player which are dual function controlling both cd tracks and radio presets.

I only use Idrive to configure the car and nav input. The rest is done through voice command, or steering/dash buttons.

I have a feeling some folks dont read the manual and just get frustrated because they think there is only one way to do a particular function.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcoz
I guess the fact that I don't do much tweaking of anything except the climate vent settings has a lot to do with my acceptance of iDrive. All I usually do is push left for Climate then press down to select Vent Settings, then all I have to do is turn the knob a click or two in either direction for cooler or warmer vent air. The radio is never changed because I have an XM SkyFi receiver and once my bass/treble settings were made, I haven't changed them either.
Old 11-18-2005, 01:01 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 530i/SMG
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck92103
Shoot, read the manual, you do not have to go through all that.

You can adjust base/treble/tone from within each radio station directly. Get back to radio? hold idrive lever back for 2 seconds.
How about going to vent settings from radio and back? same routine... iDrive is slow... there is no way around it. Reaching over and being able to turn a nob, or press a button to tweak something is so fast... I think iDrive is easy to use (once you learn how it works), but just time consuming.

Old 11-18-2005, 03:41 AM

Mein Auto: e30
Quote:
Originally Posted by robg
WOw- a lot of hatred of Consumer Reports here. Like it or not, German cars have more problems-- dont' shoot the messenger. We can make all the excuses in the world- but there really is none. Its not like a BMW is much more technologically advanced than a Lexus (in some ways, less so). Yeah, BMWs drive better and that's why we put up w/ it. But, BMW should really try harder to improve. That being said, atleat they're better than Mercedes, Audi and Land Rover.

And, dont' forget Consumer Reports rated the 2001 530i as the "best car ever tested". So, its not like they have a hatred of BMws. In fact, we've had a few people who work at CR on the board over the years-- adn guess what-- a fwe of them drive BMWs!
Thats it, if you love to drive you can ignore the cars idosyncrasies... hope i spelled that correctly...
Old 11-18-2005, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdriver
How about going to vent settings from radio and back? same routine... iDrive is slow... there is no way around it. Reaching over and being able to turn a nob, or press a button to tweak something is so fast... I think iDrive is easy to use (once you learn how it works), but just time consuming.

Push left & hold for 2 sec to go to vent. If I left it there last time, it goes right back. Push down to select and then adjust. Going back to radio from vent is just pull back & hold for 2 sec. Plus, I do this without having to move my body even a fraction and having to readjust my "line of sight" twice. I have relatively short arms, but have to sit with my legs stretched out somewhat due to severe knee issues, so adjusting anything on the instrument (control) panel requires me to lean forward which I don't have to do with iDrive.

Re-reading my post makes me laugh. I wonder what people who view cars as transportation only think about some of this seemingly mindless drivel we put out there.

2003.5 M3 Vert (Jan '10)
2006 530xiT (previous)
2004 X3 3.0 (previous)
2003 325i (previous)
2004 Z4 2.5 (Son #1)
2004 Z4 3.0 (Son#2)
Old 11-18-2005, 07:25 AM
Banned

I could see the vent settings being an issue for some folks.

I set mine when I bought the car. Never needed to go back a tweak it a lot.

When I had my 330, I rarely used the thumbwheel to change air flow temp. Might have something to do with being in San Diego where the climate is mild.
Old 11-18-2005, 08:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 530i/SMG
Quote:
Push left & hold for 2 sec to go to vent. If I left it there last time, it goes right back. Push down to select and then adjust. Going back to radio from vent is just pull back & hold for 2 sec. Plus, I do this without having to move my body even a fraction and having to readjust my "line of sight" twice. I have relatively short arms, but have to sit with my legs stretched out somewhat due to severe knee issues, so adjusting anything on the instrument (control) panel requires me to lean forward which I don't have to do with iDrive.

Re-reading my post makes me laugh. I wonder what people who view cars as transportation only think about some of this seemingly mindless drivel we put out there.
Even with the push and hold to return to the radio, it doesn't "finish". I like to have the station selected (on sat) with artist/song displayed. After holding down for 2 seconds, I still have to push down twice. Also, the hold down for 2 seconds takes longer than "Menu, press down, press down, press down". If you have ever driven a Infinity or Acura, the swapping between settings is instant. Just press "sat" and instantly you see sat details... that is less than 1 second. Vent control? Just press. iDrive has the "2 second" shortcut, but that still isn't enough. I love my 5, but there could be more refinment with iDrive... something that is taking too long.
Old 11-18-2005, 09:11 AM

Quote:
I could see the vent settings being an issue for some folks.

I set mine when I bought the car. Never needed to go back a tweak it a lot.

When I had my 330, I rarely used the thumbwheel to change air flow temp. Might have something to do with being in San Diego where the climate is mild.
Ya think it might have something to do with living in SD?? Come and spend a year in this climate (30 mi. from Chicago) and the variable vent settings will become your best friend. I'm constantly changing mine. In fact, that's the screen I leave iDrive on when driving. I wish I could set it to just come on when I start the car.

2003.5 M3 Vert (Jan '10)
2006 530xiT (previous)
2004 X3 3.0 (previous)
2003 325i (previous)
2004 Z4 2.5 (Son #1)
2004 Z4 3.0 (Son#2)
Old 11-18-2005, 09:53 AM
Banned

I have never lived in a place that had really cold weather. I lived in Dallas for awhile where it got down to freezing temps quite a but the the auto settings for climate control always worked fine for me.

It sounds like you folks do not like the auto setting and prefer to manually set your vents.

Quote:
Ya think it might have something to do with living in SD?? Come and spend a year in this climate (30 mi. from Chicago) and the variable vent settings will become your best friend. I'm constantly changing mine. In fact, that's the screen I leave iDrive on when driving. I wish I could set it to just come on when I start the car.
Old 11-18-2005, 12:30 PM

Quote:
I have never lived in a place that had really cold weather. I lived in Dallas for awhile where it got down to freezing temps quite a but the the auto settings for climate control always worked fine for me.

It sounds like you folks do not like the auto setting and prefer to manually set your vents.
Changing the vent temp doesn't take the rest of the climate control system off auto, however if you make any other changes including changing the airflow through the vent, it does take it off auto.

Believe it or not, being able to change the vent temp while leaving everything else on auto was a big selling point when I bought my 325 a few years ago. At the time, I was also considering the G35 and drove both cars on a very cold but sunny day. In the G35, the sun's heat fried my head and face, but I had to leave the heat on otherwise my feet would freeze. When I drove the Bimmer, I could leave heat on and adjust the vents to direct cool air to my face which is how I still drive most of the time.

Funny how things like that happen. That one little feature started my family on the road to spending over $175k on BMW cars over the past three years.

2003.5 M3 Vert (Jan '10)
2006 530xiT (previous)
2004 X3 3.0 (previous)
2003 325i (previous)
2004 Z4 2.5 (Son #1)
2004 Z4 3.0 (Son#2)
Old 11-18-2005, 12:41 PM

Mein Auto: 528i
Quote:
Changing the vent temp doesn't take the rest of the climate control system off auto, however if you make any other changes including changing the airflow through the vent, it does take it off auto.

Believe it or not, being able to change the vent temp while leaving everything else on auto was a big selling point when I bought my 325 a few years ago. At the time, I was also considering the G35 and drove both cars on a very cold but sunny day. In the G35, the sun's heat fried my head and face, but I had to leave the heat on otherwise my feet would freeze. When I drove the Bimmer, I could leave heat on and adjust the vents to direct cool air to my face which is how I still drive most of the time.

Funny how things like that happen. That one little feature started my family on the road to spending over $175k on BMW cars over the past three years.

I didn't pay much attention to it when I bought my car-- but over the years I've really grown to like it. I guess in other cars you can always just direct air flwo exclusive to your feet or bi-level if the heat on the face is bothering you. But it is nice sometimes to have cooler air blowing on your face during a sunny, yet cold winter day.
Old 11-18-2005, 01:00 PM
Glenn Krochnal

Send a message via AIM to glenmal
Mein Auto: 2006-530xi & 2006-330i
Talking You forgot

You forgot to include Berserkly liberals.

=Malibubimmer]The stroller-pushing, tree-hugging, politically-correct, fun-hating, driving-is-a-chore, speed-kills, stop-smiling vegans at Consumer Reports are also embracing the Prius as the second coming of the automobile. And right now the Prius is turning out to be a reilability disaster for Toyota, at a time when gas prices are at their peaks! Look at the adulation, right next to a picture of the car that looks like a partially dissolved suppository:

Allow Consumer Reports to propagandize the unwashed in the vast midwest to keep the demand for Bimmers (and prices) down.[/QUOTE]
530xi - 2006 Silver/gray Auto,Prem pkg, fold down seats,PDC,HUD,Cold weathr Pkg, Comfort seats, NAV, Satellite, heated rear seats, straighened vertical post between passenger doors from wreck 6/1/2006.

330i -2006 silver/gray- Auto, Sport pkg, Premium Pkg,Cold Wthr Pkg, NAV, Satellite
Old 11-18-2005, 01:08 PM
Glenn Krochnal

Smile Wednesday

How close are you to South Bend? We are coming through and Spending Wednesday night at the South Bend Marriott in the new 530xi. First road trip since ED. Thanksgiving in the N. Chicago "burbs" and then to my wifes family in WI.

Quote:
530xi - 2006 Silver/gray Auto,Prem pkg, fold down seats,PDC,HUD,Cold weathr Pkg, Comfort seats, NAV, Satellite, heated rear seats, straighened vertical post between passenger doors from wreck 6/1/2006.

330i -2006 silver/gray- Auto, Sport pkg, Premium Pkg,Cold Wthr Pkg, NAV, Satellite
Old 11-18-2005, 01:33 PM
Banned

I don't even think I have the option in my 6 series.

I checked idrive, I can do two things in idrive

1. Select low, medium, high fan speed
2. Select the amount of air (takes it out of auto) going to the floor, front, and dash

I do not see anything specfically related to the vent tempt that would be close to that the thumbwheel had in my previous car.

Am I missing something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg
I didn't pay much attention to it when I bought my car-- but over the years I've really grown to like it. I guess in other cars you can always just direct air flwo exclusive to your feet or bi-level if the heat on the face is bothering you. But it is nice sometimes to have cooler air blowing on your face during a sunny, yet cold winter day.
Old 11-18-2005, 01:34 PM

Mein Auto: 528i
Quote:
I don't even think I have the option in my 6 series.

I checked idrive, I can do two things in idrive

1. Select low, medium, high fan speed
2. Select the amount of air (takes it out of auto) going to the floor, front, and dash

I do not see anything specfically related to the vent tempt that would be close to that the thumbwheel had in my previous car.

Am I missing something?

Sorry- I should've been more clear. I have an e46.
Old 11-18-2005, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenmal
How close are you to South Bend? We are coming through and Spending Wednesday night at the South Bend Marriott in the new 530xi. First road trip since ED. Thanksgiving in the N. Chicago "burbs" and then to my wifes family in WI.
About an hour west of South Bend. As you're headed toward Chicago on the Indiana Toll Road, you'll come within about 10 miles of where I live.

Coincidentally, if we weren't leaving tomorrow morning to spend the holiday with our son & his wife in Louisiana, we would also be spending Thanksgiving in the N. Chicago "burbs", at my sister's house in Northbrook. Also first road trip in the xiT.

2003.5 M3 Vert (Jan '10)
2006 530xiT (previous)
2004 X3 3.0 (previous)
2003 325i (previous)
2004 Z4 2.5 (Son #1)
2004 Z4 3.0 (Son#2)
Old 11-18-2005, 02:17 PM
Happily Driving

Mein Auto: 2014 550i M Sport
Quote:
About an hour west of South Bend. As you're headed toward Chicago on the Indiana Toll Road, you'll come within about 10 miles of where I live.

Coincidentally, if we weren't leaving tomorrow morning to spend the holiday with our son & his wife in Louisiana, we would also be spending Thanksgiving in the N. Chicago "burbs", at my sister's house in Northbrook. Also first road trip in the xiT.
I work in Northbrook

Gone, but not forgotten:
2006 530i
, European Delivery June 2005
2008 335i Coupe 6MT, PCD November 2007
2011 550i M Sport, European Delivery May 2011

BMWCCA #350568
Old 11-18-2005, 02:35 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to jaro
Mein Auto: 05 645CI
hey north side of cicago here and work in Naperville...where did you buy your car Me530?
Old 11-18-2005, 02:41 PM
Happily Driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaro
hey north side of cicago here and work in Naperville...where did you buy your car Me530?
I actually bought it from Adrian @ Nalley BMW in Atlanta. It was an ED so I wasn't too concerned w/geography Now I have to figure out where to go for service, I'm not a big Knauz fan.

Gone, but not forgotten:
2006 530i

BMWCCA #350568
Old 11-18-2005, 03:46 PM
Glenn Krochnal

Gurnee

My son is in Gurnee and Wife's parents are in Waterford WI. My youngest was born in Fort Wayne at Lutheran Hospital.
Quote:

Old 11-18-2005, 04:55 PM
Happily Driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenmal
My son is in Gurnee
Just up the street!

Gone, but not forgotten:
2006 530i

BMWCCA #350568
Old 11-18-2005, 04:58 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to jaro
Mein Auto: 05 645CI
me530, did you try Northfield BMW?? they seem to be alright...have not heard anything bad. Will testdrive the 550 tomorrow as they have ine equipped similar to what I want to do with ED in early 06. How much did you wait to hear from BMW that your car is ready for pick-up? 6 weeks? then another 6 to get it to chicago?
Old 11-18-2005, 05:01 PM
Happily Driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaro
me530, did you try Northfield BMW?? they seem to be alright...have not heard anything bad. Will testdrive the 550 tomorrow as they have ine equipped similar to what I want to do with ED in early 06. How much did you wait to hear from BMW that your car is ready for pick-up? 6 weeks? then another 6 to get it to chicago?
It took 7 weeks from dropoff in Munich to Atlanta , and I flew down and drove it up three days after it arrived . Haven't tried Northfield- I've heard some really bad things about Fields (not specifically their BMW dealer but other Fields dealers), but aside from Knauz its probably the closest.

Gone, but not forgotten:
2006 530i

BMWCCA #350568
Old 11-18-2005, 05:54 PM
Bimerizing Everyone

Send a message via AIM to katheikia
Mein Auto: 550 SMG
AGAIN I SAY:IMO, BMW has the best interior, and exteriors of any comparable car. The interior is super modern and sophisticated, the I-Drive, that I heard so many horror stories about, is genius. I wish my tv system at home had this instead of one million stupid buttons to memorize. All competitors are now starting to copy th E-60, wether its I-Drive or exterior. BMW is just ahead of the game. If you want a more warm and fuzzy interior, look somewere else, but if you want a true driving machine this is it. As you can all tell I love my new car, it blows away my previous 540 in every way!!!