Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 11-22-2005, 07:47 PM
Don't worry, be happy

Mein Auto: '05 645Cic
How do I know if I broke my wrist or just sprained it?

I know, I need an X-Ray. I will do it tomorrow but I am curious for right now.

I took a bad fall playing football today and it immediately hurt like hell. I didn't hear or feel anything snap, but it is REALLY hard to move it around and I can barely hold any weight with it. The wrist hurts as well as the top of my hand. Plus, it is pretty swollen.

Is there any tell-tale signs of a break I should look for, or is nothing conclusive unless there is an X-ray?

Thanks in advance.
Ads by Google
Old 11-22-2005, 08:04 PM
Brevity= the soul of wit

Mein Auto: You've*got*to be kidding
My experience is that a break of bone, ligament or cartilidge (sp?) will almost always result in a sound. The one exception was when a friend dropped a tree on a digit (hard to explain). My finger was crushed between a knee-high sewer drain and the tree. The only sound I heard was the thud of the tree landing. My finger was crushed along ten little lines.

The odd thing is that I was in an ankle cast at the time. (Dad was not one to let me rest while broken). I ended up looking like a train wreck between the two injuries.

The ankle cast was a goof off injury: Sliding down a stair rail to a less than graceful landing. I watched the bottom of my foot touch the back of my calf. The sound? Like popcorn as the ligaments snapped in two.

You probably have a wicked sprain.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:15 PM
Custom User ***le Removed

Mein Auto: 2012 128iC
I've broken both my arms when I was a kid (at separate times) and sprained my left wrist really badly a few years ago. If the pain is not driving you crazy at this point you probably have a sprain versus a break. But you should still go get an xray to make sure.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:33 PM
only one screen name

Send a message via AIM to obmd1
Mein Auto: '14 X5 35D
sure sounds like ya broke it....the bones in the wrist are too small to hear a snap when you break one. The pain, swelling and limitation in function are telltale...

XRAY....especially if there are differences in temperature or sensation along different digits.

there's percocet in your future.

(then again, consider my specialty when taking this advice.... )
Old 11-22-2005, 08:36 PM
Don't worry, be happy

Thanks everybody.........it almost feels like I sprained the top part and broke the wrist. I literally can't bear any weight on it because it makes it hurt like hell.

I am going to get it x-rayed tomorrow for sure. Thanks again. Hope it is not broken (right hand, shifting hand)
Old 11-22-2005, 08:38 PM
only one screen name

Send a message via AIM to obmd1
Mein Auto: '14 X5 35D
good luck...
Old 11-22-2005, 09:09 PM
Vietato

Mein Auto: 2009 Toyota Matrix
I broke my left wrist back in 1988. Never hear it snapped or popped or anything. But I knew I broke it when I looked at my wrist and my arm was about 2 to 3 inches above my hand. The doctor hand my fingers in a coil like thing that suspended my arm in the air with my elbow in a 90 degree bend, the doctor dropped some weights on my upper arm to pull my upper arm back into place and then cast my arm. Good thing I didn't feel anything during the entire procedure, they doctore knocked me up with some good stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frog
"When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice."

- Cherokee Expression
Old 11-22-2005, 09:10 PM
Vietato

Mein Auto: 2009 Toyota Matrix
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAirbags
Thanks everybody.........it almost feels like I sprained the top part and broke the wrist. I literally can't bear any weight on it because it makes it hurt like hell.

I am going to get it x-rayed tomorrow for sure. Thanks again. Hope it is not broken (right hand, shifting hand)
Oh and the hand that does the

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frog
"When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice."

- Cherokee Expression
Old 11-22-2005, 09:17 PM
Needs more cowbell

Send a message via AIM to WileECoyote
Mein Auto: 1999 Z3 2.8, 2000 328Ci
Quote:
I took a bad fall playing football today .

"playing football" - is that what you young kids call it these days?
Old 11-22-2005, 09:29 PM
Best Machine in the World

Mein Auto: 05 330i ZHP again
Definitely get it x-rayed - bones may break without dislocation, so it may be hard to see from visual/manual inspection. And good luck with that. - this is no fun.

P.S. I had an unlucky racquetball game three weeks ago - collided with another player and broke a few face bones (cheek bone, eye socket, sinus). Lesson learned - look where you are running to.
Old 11-22-2005, 10:24 PM
This is the Cubs year)

Mein Auto: camel
Well sucks for you as I'm sure you are in pain. I'm by no means a doctor as only a few on this board are, however I'm first aid/cpr certified as I coach sports as well. The anatomical snuffbox, remember that name. This is the area that is indented when you stick your thumb up as if to hitchhike. Tenderness there is important because the bone under that spot (the scaphoid) is the most common carpal bone that is fractured and often does not look fractured on the initial x-rays. I know this because two of my players had this injury and were negative the first night on xrays!

good luck and remember no so tell your wife or significant other to help you relax to deal with the pain.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:17 PM
call me darkcloud

Send a message via ICQ to Jever Send a message via AIM to Jever Send a message via MSN to Jever Send a message via Yahoo to Jever
Mein Auto: .
Man-up rich boy. Are you hurt or are you injured? Can you walk? If you can walk then you can run. If you can run then you can tackle. What happened to all that boxing you were taking? Are you getting soft on me? Next thing I'm going to hear is that you sprained your ankle while you were painting. Get up pansy and get back in to the game!

J/k airbags. I hope you're ok. Pickup games have a way of ruining a career, ask me how I know. Holler at me if there is anything I can do to help.

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder
Old 11-22-2005, 11:44 PM
Banned

Mein Auto:
Next post is NWS

gosh.

Last edited by Lanc3r; 11-23-2005 at 11:00 AM.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:46 PM
Banned

Mein Auto:
I hope you feel better Mrairbags. Here is my favorite DJ to chear you up.

Last edited by Lanc3r; 11-23-2005 at 11:27 AM.
Old 11-23-2005, 04:08 AM
Flying Dutchman

Send a message via MSN to Patrick318is
Mein Auto: Bmw E30 318is
i do now that if you sprained your wrist it hurts constantly and if u broke it it will hurt when u try to move it.....
Old 11-23-2005, 06:37 AM
Don't worry, be happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick318is
i do now that if you sprained your wrist it hurts constantly and if u broke it it will hurt when u try to move it.....
Thanks again everybody, and yes, it hurts like a b*tch when I try and move it or put any weight on it. I am going in at lunch today.
Old 11-23-2005, 06:38 AM
Vegan, not Romulan

Send a message via ICQ to Pete Teoh Send a message via AIM to Pete Teoh Send a message via MSN to Pete Teoh Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Teoh
Mein Auto: ****
Check to see if your wrist is doing this ---> :gay:
Old 11-23-2005, 06:43 AM
Banned

Mein Auto:
I broke my wrist playing American Football (dislocated my thumb on the same play), and that was a bi-atch to recover from. I wore a wrist brace for awhile (not a good idea in the long run) and then had our trainers tape the hell out of it before the games.

At times, it still hurts if I quickly move it the wrong way or akwardly. It goes nicely with the pain my my left knee (ACL), left ankle (ligaments), right heel (never figured out what I did to that) and of course the brain injuries from three concussions. I should have stopped playing a few years earlier!

Good luck with that Ryan.

Old 11-23-2005, 06:46 AM
Tightrope walking

Mein Auto: Jackwagon!
Sorry to hear about your pain.

It's also possible that you dislocated it. That might be even worse than a break, depending on your age.

Building a ZHP wagon... click the pic!!!
-.-.-.--.-.-.-
Because BMW wouldn't do it for me
For Sale - HUGE part out of 2005 ZHP sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisL View Post
My input is that ffej knows what he's talking about .
Old 11-23-2005, 07:03 AM
Don't worry, be happy

I am thinking it is something bad, because it is almost a useless hand right now. I can type, I tried writing and I can do that, and just jumped into the garage to see if I can shift....I think I am OK with that.

However, I couldn't open up a simple milk carton for my daughter's cereal.

On the bright side, I scored a safety for our team by getting their QB in the endzone, and on offense I threw for a touchdown before getting intercepted and then jacking my wrist diving for that sumbitch who intercepted me. He wound up scoring on my interception too.
Old 11-23-2005, 07:05 AM
Don't worry, be happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Teoh
Check to see if your wrist is doing this ---> :gay:
It hurts to do that.
Old 11-23-2005, 07:06 AM
le Boss

Mein Auto: BMW R1200RT & X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by misterlance
Thanks for the warning...

:asshole:
Old 11-23-2005, 07:09 AM
le Boss

Mein Auto: BMW R1200RT & X3
My experience has been that nausea, when putting pressure on the wound in question, indicates a break.
Old 11-23-2005, 07:12 AM
TMS

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
I am thinking it is something bad, because it is almost a useless hand right now. I can type, I tried writing and I can do that, and just jumped into the garage to see if I can shift....I think I am OK with that.

However, I couldn't open up a simple milk carton for my daughter's cereal.

On the bright side, I scored a safety for our team by getting their QB in the endzone, and on offense I threw for a touchdown before getting intercepted and then jacking my wrist diving for that sumbitch who intercepted me. He wound up scoring on my interception too.
I broke my wrist a few years ago and it was immediately useless for anything. No strength, no movement, no nothing. In my case, it was shattered in a bicycling accident and it required two surgeries to repair. In your case, don't self-diagnose, get it examined ASAP.
Old 11-23-2005, 07:21 AM
Vegan, not Romulan

Send a message via ICQ to Pete Teoh Send a message via AIM to Pete Teoh Send a message via MSN to Pete Teoh Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Teoh
Mein Auto: ****
Quote:
It hurts to do that.
I guess the injury didn't make you a