Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 11-23-2005, 07:31 PM

Mein Auto: 745li 2005
Angry 05 745Li - Motorla v60 Phone

I know this is a repeat issue but I wanted to see if anyone has found out anything new regarding this topic. Here is where I am:

Just 2 days ago I bought a brand new fully loaded 2005 BMW 745Li from a BMW dealership in Canada. I had specifically mentioned to them that I must have a proper built-in phone solution since I need to talk on the phone a lot. They told me that my car uses bluetooth and comes with a Motorola Razor, which I was happy about. However, after the purchase I found out they made a mistake and my car uses another "nice" plugin Motorla phone that should arrive soon. Today they gave me a BMW Motorola v60!!! As you can imagine I am absolutely upset with the BMW dealership for their mistake. I am even more disgusted by BMW itself for using a worthless phone (5 year old technology) for their 2005 top of the line model. I cannot believe that they have not attempted to upgrade their built-in phone software to use a newer version of a Motorola.

Anyway, I am done fuming for now. So before returning my car I want to explore all my options.

1) I read that someone was able to use a motorola v551 instead. Is that still working fine for you? Has anyone else done that successfully?

2) I have also heard about a bluetooth retrofit that's coming out soon. Anyone has any info on how this works? Is this an external component or does it properly integrate with the idrive?

3) Has anyone contacted BMW directly for a solution?

Thanks.
Advertisement
Old 11-23-2005, 08:22 PM
Officially Welcomed to The 'Fest!

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardyf
I know this is a repeat issue but I wanted to see if anyone has found out anything new regarding this topic. Here is where I am:

Just 2 days ago I bought a brand new fully loaded 2005 BMW 745Li from a BMW dealership in Canada. I had specifically mentioned to them that I must have a proper built-in phone solution since I need to talk on the phone a lot. They told me that my car uses bluetooth and comes with a Motorola Razor, which I was happy about. However, after the purchase I found out they made a mistake and my car uses another "nice" plugin Motorla phone that should arrive soon. Today they gave me a BMW Motorola v60!!! As you can imagine I am absolutely upset with the BMW dealership for their mistake. I am even more disgusted by BMW itself for using a worthless phone (5 year old technology) for their 2005 top of the line model. I cannot believe that they have not attempted to upgrade their built-in phone software to use a newer version of a Motorola.

Anyway, I am done fuming for now. So before returning my car I want to explore all my options.

1) I read that someone was able to use a motorola v551 instead. Is that still working fine for you? Has anyone else done that successfully?

2) I have also heard about a bluetooth retrofit that's coming out soon. Anyone has any info on how this works? Is this an external component or does it properly integrate with the idrive?

Thanks.
I've got the Motorola v60 as a built in for my 2002 CL55. It's 4 year old technology. In January a company is coming out with a Bluetooth device to retrofit my Merc and allow me to get rid of the v60, which is a pile of cr@p. (Having AT&T and now Cingular didn't help.) If you want the name of the company PM me.
Old 11-24-2005, 10:49 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Radio Flyer Z38/5.7m
My '04 7 has the v60. I've contacted BMW, on several occasions regarding this issue. The last time I discussed it with BMWNA was in August. At that time, BMWNA told me BMW had made the decision to "get out" of the cell phone business back in 2002, and focus their direction regarding cell phones towards bluetooth, making it "unlikely" BMW would resource very much R & D into bluetooth retrofits.

I had the car in for service last month, and the my local BMW parts manager did some research, spoke with BMWNA, and told me there is no retrofit planned for the '02-'04(early) 7's. Although there have been posts saying a '02-'04 7 retrofit is "coming," the information I've gotten directly from BMW has consistently remained there is not.

It has always been my understanding all the '05's and some of the late build '04 had the ULF module. My local parts manager said that was his understanding as well. There's a post somewhere here regarding a member who owns a late build '04 that came with the ULF module. Check the DOP on the door jamb label. If yours is anytime Dec 04 or later, it should have the ULF module Maybe it's different for US and Canada builds?

As Malibu said, there is a company planning to offer an aftermarket retrofit early in '06. From what I've been able to find, and read about it, it appears it would require professional installation (good luck getting BMW to do the install), and there is very little information as to how it would integrate with iDrive.

My wife and I carry Cingular Razr's, our Jeep is bluetooth. We just leave the v60 in the 7, use it for outgoing calls, and have it forwarded for incoming calls.

Last edited by kd2789mo; 11-24-2005 at 10:53 AM.
Old 11-24-2005, 02:56 PM
Officially Welcomed to The 'Fest!

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kd2789mo
As Malibu said, there is a company planning to offer an aftermarket retrofit early in '06. From what I've been able to find, and read about it, it appears it would require professional installation (good luck getting BMW to do the install), and there is very little information as to how it would integrate with iDrive.
Try info@connects2usa.com for retrofit info for the v60. The information I obtained was for the Mercedes, because I would like to use only 1 cell phone but am now consigned to the v60 for the Mercedes and the RAZR for the 650i.. Here is what Michelle from the company wrote me:

Quote:
We do have a kit coming out within the next few weeks that will fit your 2002 CL55. You will be able to use your Razr phone with that kit as well. The cost for the kit is $850 and it gives you all the features, plus a few extras, that the Mercedes system would give you. You will be able to use steering wheel controls, utilize voice dialing, and see display of calls, lists and phone book with your Comand system. So, I think that will accomplish the goals you have set out. We are getting about 100 pieces for our first order. I have 70 of those spoken for and another 10 of those dedicated to showing the technology to dealerships across the country. So, I have about 20 left of the first order to distribute when it comes in. The second order has a 4-6 week lead time. So, if you want something soon, I suggest going to www.connects2usa.com under the Mercedes tab and placing your order. I will hold credit card info and call for confirmation as soon as the product arrives.
Old 11-26-2005, 06:28 PM

Mein Auto: 745li 2005
I finally found a solution that works for me. I was able to find a knowledgeable technician with Rogers (my cell phone provider here in Canada). He was able to apply my existing number to the BMW phone along with my current phone. Kind of like a family plan but when someone dials my number it first tries my BMW phone. If the car is off, then the call gets automatically directed to my other phone. So that's perfect. The only thing is that I have to get all my numbers somehow transferred to the BMW phone. They can do that for me for a fee of $65 Can.

He also said that using the car phone is better than the bluetooth version. When using bluetooth, you have the same signal strength of your cell phone; where as the car phone has a much stronger signal than a cell phone, because of the is equipped with a much stronger antenna and power.
Old 11-27-2005, 02:57 PM

Mein Auto: Radio Flyer Z38/5.7m
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardyf
The only thing is that I have to get all my numbers somehow transferred to the BMW phone. They can do that for me for a fee of $65 Can.
I believe you said your main phone is a Motorola Razr. If so, you can use Motorola's MyBackup
https://motorolabackup.tarsin.com/home.htm
If it's available in Canada, you would be able to upload the phone book from your Razr, and then download it to your v60. You'd also be able to maintain both phone's phonebooks online. Cost is $2.95/mo/per phone US.
Old 11-27-2005, 06:10 PM

Mein Auto: X6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by kd2789mo
We just leave the v60 in the 7, use it for outgoing calls, and have it forwarded for incoming calls.
That's what I've always done too. Not the best solution, but it's A solution...

2014 BMW X6 ///M | SpaceGray/BlackPerforatedFullMerino/CarbonLeather
2014 BMW 328xi Touring M-Sport | GlacierSilver/BlackDakota/DarkBurlWalnut
2014 BMW X6 35i M-Perf | TitaniumSilver/BlackNappa/DarkBamboo [wife's ride]

BMW HISTORY | '13 650xiGC, '12 650xi, '11 535xi, '11 X6 50i, '09 750i, '09 328xiT, '08 650i, '07 750i, '07 X5 4.8i, '06 650i, '05 745i, '05 325xiT, '03 745i, '02 745i, '01 325Cic, '01 X5 4.4i, and on...
Old 12-10-2005, 07:40 AM

Mein Auto: 04 745LI, Toledo Blue
I checked out the connectusa.com site. If their system works as stated it sounds like a solution. The unit costs $500, but at least it would make the car work with bluetooth phones. Has anyone installed one in their car?

Dierks321
Old 12-14-2005, 11:09 AM

Mein Auto: E90
Also try www.eiskits.com who also have one coming out.
Old 12-14-2005, 06:43 PM

Mein Auto: 04 745LI, Toledo Blue
I tried to call connects2usa for two days with no answer. Finally got through to them. They don't have a conversion available for my 04 745li; said they would have one around March. Their website is spotty and the fact that it took so many calls to reach them has me concerned about their viability. Anyone have any experience with them?

Dierks321
Old 12-30-2005, 11:00 PM

Mein Auto: 745 Li
does one know where one could buy a used BMW phone in canada? i don't mind the V60 because it would stay in the phone 24/7

i see a few on ebay that are TDMA, but i don't believe that is supported by any canadian networks

telus is CDMA and rogers is GSM
anyone think of anyway to help?
Old 12-31-2005, 10:44 AM
BMW Individual

Mein Auto: 2006bmw750li
Lightbulb 2002-2005 BMW phone V60?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearh0
does one know where one could buy a used BMW phone in canada? i don't mind the V60 because it would stay in the phone 24/7

i see a few on ebay that are TDMA, but i don't believe that is supported by any canadian networks

telus is CDMA and rogers is GSM
anyone think of anyway to help?
Look for a CDMA Mercedes or BMW V60. I have plugged my Mercedes V60 (CDMA Telus) into a BMW and it worked fine.

Did Rogers disable TDMA? I remember also using a Mercedes V60 (TDMA Rogers) in the Mercedes and it worked fine, although reception wasn't the best.

Of course, the newest phones, see:

www.motorolavip.com/

will only work in newer BMWs with bluetooth.
Old 10-15-2008, 08:17 AM

Mein Auto: 745Li
BMW sells a Bluetooth adaptor

I have a 2003 BMW745LI and had the same issue. BMW sells a Bluetooth adaptor that plugs into the same spot where the Motorola V60 would plug in. You then can use almost any Bluetooth phone with your BMW. The adaptor sells for just under $300 USD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardyf View Post

Thanks.
Old 10-15-2008, 08:42 AM

Mein Auto: Z4 3.0/LX-570/IS-F/560SL
Quote:
Originally Posted by John7432 View Post
I have a 2003 BMW745LI and had the same issue. BMW sells a Bluetooth adaptor that plugs into the same spot where the Motorola V60 would plug in. You then can use almost any Bluetooth phone with your BMW. The adaptor sells for just under $300 USD.
Do you have the P/N? I need to find a solution for my wife's 03 as she ditched the v60 long ago.

Is this what you were referring to?

http://www.bimmernav.com/store/catal...-item-116.html

Never mind. Just p/u one from Bloomfield BMW for $195+$10 S/H

Last edited by sclui56; 10-15-2008 at 08:37 PM.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:04 PM
President

Mein Auto: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by John7432 View Post
thanks for answering the guy's question from 3 years ago

now thats what i call resurrection

'03 745i - modded - GONE -
Old 10-16-2008, 02:19 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 3.0/LX-570/IS-F/560SL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven11 View Post
thanks for answering the guy's question from 3 years ago

now thats what i call resurrection
Well, it helped me out Now I can get my wife off my back without spending too much on a B/T solution.
Old 10-05-2010, 04:53 PM

Mein Auto: 745Li
Cool Works with my iPhone

BMW OEM Bluetooth Upgrade Module - hands free cell phone kit for 2002-2005 BMW 745 and 760.

Now at a lower price!
BMWs Bluetooth™ Upgrade Module

With prices starting at just $269.90 and shipping typically within 24hrs you will be hands-free and safer in no time.

There are two versions of the "BTUM" now available for the new 745 and 760 vehicles that went into production in 2002. The 2002 year came with what BMW calls the CPT8000 (Motorola Timeport) and during the 2003 model year BMW switched to the CPT9000 (Motorola V60).

If your 7 series car has a build date (located on the drivers door sill) on or after 01/03 or if you have a CPT9000 then the BTUM9 unit is right for you. If your build date is 12/02 or before or you know you have a CTP8000 then the BTUM8 unit is right for you!

BMWs BTUM Bluetooth module
EIS was the first to offer the BTUM9 online - even before the dealers! Now, EIS has obtained fully half of all the BTUM8 modules currently available in the US.
We are able to sell you either of BMWs Bluetooth Upgrade module kits now and we are making them available to you for less than the cost at the dealer. If you purchase one of the BTUM8 units on Ebay or other online source make sure they have them IN STOCK! Note that in most cases if you purchase your BTUM8 from another source you may not get the installation instructions that the dealer uses. Even if you buy it from a dealer they do not include these instructions, but we do!
We provide the same hardware you would purchase at the dealer plus a level of knowledge about phone systems that you won't find at most dealers.
We provide the entire kit as seen above, including not only the BTUM modules but also the spacer (required for the BTUM9), as well as the placards/covers (required for the BTUM8) and the instruction manual.
Installation of the BTUM9 is very simple and installation of the BTUM8 is just a 15 minute job with no tools required!
We provide installation and pairing assistance for you every step of the way and of course offer a 30 day money back guarantee. With EIS you can try it with your phone and return it for a full refund of the purchase price if you aren't 100% satisfied. You can't do that at a dealer as they do not take returns of electrical components.
CPT9000 Cradle in a 2004 745Li

Here are some other photos of the BTUM9 in use:

Pairing a Blackberry to the BTUM

Dialing from the dash keypad using the BTUM

BTUM installed - Blue light on indicating connected to a Bluetooth compatible phone.

If you would like to order one for yourself, please do so here:

Description Item #
Price

BMW Bluetooth Upgrade module kit for CPT9000 equipped cars. (Typically all MY 2003+ vehicles) BTUM9
$269.90 plus $10.00 Priority shipping

BMW Bluetooth Upgrade module kit for CPT8000 equipped cars. (Typically MY2002 only) BTUM8
$345.90 plus $10.00 Priority shipping

Your 745 or 760 will not require a visit to the dealer for coding, either. Also note that even with an online order your credit card will never be charged before the day we ship your product! We encourage you to provide your real email address in the Google Checkout process so that we can email you a copy of your sales receipt and package tracking information.

Contact Us for further information.
Old 10-05-2010, 05:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 745li
Just get a btum9 bluetooth and it works excllent , thats the upgrade from bmw.
Old 10-16-2010, 06:02 PM

Mein Auto: 05 745LI
I just got it for 05 745li . Called a few people to test it all said they thought I was on a landline sound was perfect via my iPhone 4 . My phonebook was pulled up on the i drive at that
Old 11-26-2010, 05:24 AM
Major

Mein Auto: 745 li
Hey all I just bought this BTUM CPT9000
Plugged it in, connected to my iPhone 3GS everything is great phone book transferred to the car
BUIUUUT.....,,,,,
When I call or some one calls me I can hear them very well but they can't hear me at all
I also tried it with my gf"s blackberry and same problem.
If anyone had a problem like that any advice will be appreciated. Thank you.