Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 11-26-2005, 03:05 AM
Grand Panjandrum

Mein Auto: 325 xit, Active E, 1200RT
Opening trunk with key remote

Hey folks -both the manual and the snazzy CD-ROM indicate that you can pop the trunk by pressing the button on the key with the car icon. Does this work on the convertible too? I can't get it to work with either of the two keys I have though I hear all kinds of servos whirring and humming when I press the button. And I didn't see any iDrive option to set this up. What gives?
Old 11-26-2005, 03:14 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Radio Flyer Z38/5.7m
Wow, Sweet looking Car!
You have to press twice, but not just press-press. It's more like press-hold (1/2 second), pause, press-hold (1/2 second).
Old 11-26-2005, 03:21 AM
Grand Panjandrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd2789mo
Wow, Sweet looking Car!
You have to press twice, but not just press-press. It's more like press-hold (1/2 second), pause, press-hold (1/2 second).
Hmmm - I'll try that. The manual says that if you press and hold this button you'll set off the panic alarm ... wouldn't want that!

Thanks
Old 11-26-2005, 08:11 AM

Mein Auto:
Fitch-

I had the same trouble and set off the ALARM a few times in attempts to get my trunk open. With all the gadgetry on this car you would think this would not need to be over- engineered.

My 82 year old dad's 2002 Ford Taurus trunk lid opener works like a charm EVERY time-Go Figure.

Cheers-
SD
Old 11-26-2005, 08:14 AM
Bo-ma-win!

Send a message via Yahoo to beewang
Mein Auto: S62 E39
The humming sound when you push the buttom is your SMG hydrolic pump. Now I don't know if you have SMG transmission, but based on your description, that is what it is.
Old 11-26-2005, 08:19 AM
Bo-ma-win!

Send a message via Yahoo to beewang
Mein Auto: S62 E39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylar's Dad
Fitch-

I had the same trouble and set off the ALARM a few times in attempts to get my trunk open. With all the gadgetry on this car you would think this would not need to be over- engineered.

My 82 year old dad's 2002 Ford Taurus trunk lid opener works like a charm EVERY time-Go Figure.

Cheers-
SD
Yes, but your dad's Taurus trunk will/can pop-open while the car is in motion (i.e. being driven) whereas the BMW KNOWS when your car is in motion will NOT allow the trunk to be opened. BMW designs with safety in mind, and unfortunately this complicates things a bit and it may appear that the damn thing is over enginnered.
Old 11-26-2005, 01:14 PM
Officially Welcomed to The 'Fest!

Mein Auto:
The convertible trunk doesn't "pop" open. It simply unlocks allowing you to lift it open.
Old 11-27-2005, 12:09 AM
Grand Panjandrum

Quote:
Fitch-

Cheers-
SD
Yup - it works but in such an unreliable fashion as to be mostly useless as a working feature of the car. Not a big deal I guess since you can just unlock everything in order to get into the trunk. But it is a waste of real estate on the giant key.

I guess they "over-engineered" this because on previous models (at least the three-series) the rear trunk or hatch (as the case may be) would pop open inadevertently all the time.
Old 11-27-2005, 12:11 AM
Grand Panjandrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by beewang
The humming sound when you push the buttom is your SMG hydrolic pump. Now I don't know if you have SMG transmission, but based on your description, that is what it is.
Pretty good Bee - you're right I have SMG
Old 11-27-2005, 04:21 AM
M Enthusiast

Mein Auto: 645Ci
This used to work on mine. If i kept the button pressed for like 5secs or more the trunk would pop open without me having to do any lifting. Now it just "springs" up like 2cm's and i have to lift it manually. No idea what happened but it's kinda like one of the many Windows bugs... sometimes it works, most times it doesn't.

Old 11-27-2005, 09:37 AM

Mein Auto:
Fitch-

Thanks for the reply, your 6er is georgeous, can you please tell me how to attach the pic to the signature, I know how to attcah to a post, but not my signature.

Thanks you in advance.-

SD
Old 11-28-2005, 03:10 PM
Grand Panjandrum

Quote:
Fitch-

Thanks for the reply, your 6er is georgeous,
SD
Thanks man!

Quote:
can you please tell me how to attach the pic to the signature, I know how to attcah to a post, but not my signature.
SD
In the USer Control Panel click on the Attach Image icon. You need to provide a url - you can't directly upload an image (at least as far as I'm aware). PM me if you need additional help.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:54 PM
Living a dream!

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitch
Thanks man!

In the USer Control Panel click on the Attach Image icon. You need to provide a url - you can't directly upload an image (at least as far as I'm aware). PM me if you need additional help.
Not to stray off topic,

I PM'd him to explain that he could simply post an attachment with an image in the TEST forum. From there, it would show under his attachments. Then he could click on that, grab the URL and paste into his sig using the IMG tags..
Old 11-28-2005, 07:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 435i xDrive Coupe
With the 650i, I don't have trunk popping problems. I hold the button down for 1 full second (one mississippi) and release. The trunk pops. If you hold the button down for less than 1 second, the trunk will not pop (safety feature). If you hold the button down continuously, the panic alarm will sound.
Old 11-28-2005, 08:12 PM
Grand Panjandrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by INTREPID
With the 650i, I don't have trunk popping problems. I hold the button down for 1 full second (one mississippi) and release. The trunk pops. If you hold the button down for less than 1 second, the trunk will not pop (safety feature). If you hold the button down continuously, the panic alarm will sound.
Actually I've been practising and find that this works for my 645 too. I was needlessly panicy about the panic alarm going off I guess
Old 11-28-2005, 08:55 PM
Account closed at user's request.

Mein Auto: BMW
CHIME/GONG TOO LOUD ON BMW 645s

Quote:
Hey folks -both the manual and the snazzy CD-ROM indicate that you can pop the trunk by pressing the button on the key with the car icon. Does this work on the convertible too? I can't get it to work with either of the two keys I have though I hear all kinds of servos whirring and humming when I press the button. And I didn't see any iDrive option to set this up. What gives?
yeah my wife cant get hers to work on her 04 645 ci convertible either, im beginning to think its an error in the owners manual or that she isnt reading it right, its her car and im too busy fighting BMW to get the obnoxious chime volume turned down to bother with the trunk remote deal YET. you might want to realize that the chime is too loud on yours too and contact BMW about it. CAN'T turn it down?? CAN'T isn't in my vocabulary and it shouldn't be in BMW's either. You can't tell me that a fine company like BMW can't figure out how to turn the volume down on the chime on the 645, why did they set is to loud to begin with??
CAN anyone answer that? BMW CAN'T SEEM TO ANSWER IT.
Old 11-28-2005, 09:01 PM

does it 'pop' it or does it open the trunk?

Quote:
Actually I've been practising and find that this works for my 645 too. I was needlessly panicy about the panic alarm going off I guess
ok you said it 'pops' the trunk, but does it actually open the trunk like on my new 760i or does it just unlatch it? i want the trunk to open when i push the button on the remote not just 'pop' it.
Old 11-28-2005, 09:17 PM
Grand Panjandrum

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotrosso
ok you said it 'pops' the trunk, but does it actually open the trunk like on my new 760i or does it just unlatch it? i want the trunk to open when i push the button on the remote not just 'pop' it.
Nope - just unlatches it. Malibubimmer (in one of the posts in this thread above) points out that in the convertible the trunk just unlatches while in the coupe (I assume this from the nature of his post) it actually raises the trunk lid. If that is correct, my suspicion is that due to the space taken up by the soft top in the convertible there isn't room for the spring (or other form of actuator) needed to raise the lid after unlatching. But I'm just guessing ... By the way, it irritates me too that the trunk just unlatches and doesn't open up.
Old 11-28-2005, 10:09 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Nope - just unlatches it. Malibubimmer (in one of the posts in this thread above) points out that in the convertible the trunk just unlatches while in the coupe (I assume this from the nature of his post) it actually raises the trunk lid.
Not me! While I too assume the trunk opens up with a spring in the coupe from the nature of this thread, I did not write that. Just that the trunk in the convertible unlatches (or "pops" rather than "pops open").

Beewang - don't call me Pops.
Old 11-29-2005, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibubimmer
Not me! While I too assume the trunk opens up with a spring in the coupe from the nature of this thread, I did not write that. Just that the trunk in the convertible unlatches (or "pops" rather than "pops open").

Beewang - don't call me Pops.
ok pops, whats nice on the 760i that ive got is that you can open the trunk with the remote and it actually opens the trunk lid to the open position and then when you are done loading your stuff in the trunk you just hit a button on the trunk lid under edge and the trunk mechanically closes. took me awhile to get used to it because i was so used to winging the 645 shut using that hand hold provided on the inside.
Old 11-29-2005, 08:24 PM

With the 650i coupe, the trunk pops and opens up completely.
Old 11-29-2005, 08:33 PM

ok pops, one more question and then you can go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by INTREPID
With the 650i coupe, the trunk pops and opens up completely.
i think what we have here is that it opens all the way up mechanically on the ci (coupe) but only pops unlatched on the cic (convertible) and you have to lift it open by hand.
Now the question is, does the ci (coupe) have a button to close the trunk mechanically? we know that the cic convertible has to be closed by hand.
Old 11-29-2005, 08:48 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotrosso
ok pops, one more question and you can go.i think what we have here is that it opens all the way up mechanically on the ci (coupe) but only pops unlatched on the cic (convertible) and you have to lift it open by hand.
Now the question is, does the ci (coupe) have a button to close the trunk mechanically? we know that the cic convertible has to be closed by hand.
I've got the convertible so I don't have "first hand' experience, but the coupe does not have a "lazy man" option. You gotta use the hand rather than the finger.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:14 PM

645/650 coupes -same trunk operation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibubimmer
I've got the convertible so I don't have "first hand' experience, but the coupe does not have a "lazy man" option. You gotta use the hand rather than the finger.
the convertible is manual operation what i was wondering is if the coupe has power closing like my 760i has. its really nice when you have a few bottles of wine in your arms and you want the trunk closed. anyone have the 645 coupe ? or is it just the 650 coupe?
seems the 645 coupe i drove at 6 drive experience only had manual closing for the trunk but i wouldnt know about the 650ci
i would have been more interested in the coupe if the sunroof really opened instead of just venting, thats why i ended up with the covertible.
Old 11-29-2005, 10:06 PM

The 650i coupe trunk does not close on it's own (unfortunately).

The 650i coupe sunroof only vents (it's a huge sunroof - sliding would be a difficiult to design).

Last edited by INTREPID; 11-29-2005 at 10:10 PM.