Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E60 M5 (2006 - 2010)

E60 M5 (2006 - 2010)

Closed Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 11:04 AM
BMW-addicted

Mein Auto: Not worth mentioning
Thumbs down How threads are handled on other forums...

I just want to take this thread as an opportunity to thank Jon (or whoever is in charge) that we are entitled to free speech and our own opinion on bimmerfest.com.

I posted this thread here because it's about a comparison between the M5 and M6:

http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=124955

I hope I didn't violate any rules by posting this thread, but it's def. interesting how this "Administrator" is "taking care" of the discussion!

Enjoy!
Advertisement
Old 08-14-2006, 12:25 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 325i
i read that thread, and agree with that moderator.....sorry. People should be allowed to form their OWN opinion. Just as you like to be entitled to your own opinion on the subject matter.

And trying to get sympathy by kissing butt here
Old 08-14-2006, 12:31 PM
BMW-addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coco Savage
i read that thread, and agree with that moderator.....sorry. People should be allowed to form their OWN opinion. Just as you like to be entitled to your own opinion on the subject matter.

Well, I obviously WASN'T entitled to have my own opinion. Otherwise, he wouldn't have closed the thread, right?

By closing the thread he made it impossible for others to share THEIR opinion. See what I'm talking about? EVERYBODY is entitled to his opinion, no matter if you're in favour of the M5 or M6, if you're a moderator or "only" a simple member.

I needn't kiss anybody's butt here, sorry pal....

BTW, this is how the same discussion is handled on bimmerfest:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=133854

No Administrator playing Sheriff here!

Last edited by 760Lifan; 08-14-2006 at 01:15 PM.
Old 08-14-2006, 05:40 PM

No thats not why the thread wasnt closed, it was closed due to you constant badgering of people who didnt agree with you. Nearly every other post was you saying why a m6?

People can make their own choices... if they truely were allowed to express their own opinions you wouldnt be there pointing out Constantly on every other post questioning their opinion.

And yes that link/discussion went a lot more smoothly.....WHY? because "someone" wasnt there constantly questioning why people made a certain decision and belittling them. Then picking a fight with a admin. Thats why that one is still open.

Next time chill out, dont question/belittle everyone that dont agree with you(like you are doing now) and dont fight with a admin(he even gave you warning)......your threads will probably stay open.

As a matter of fact this thread should be closed to. Its more pointless... agree with me kinda sillyness that got that other thread closed on the m3forum.

Last edited by Coco Savage; 08-14-2006 at 05:43 PM.
Old 08-14-2006, 05:49 PM
Don't worry, be happy

Mein Auto: '05 645Cic
Quote:
No thats not why the thread wasnt closed, it was closed due to you constant badgering of people who didnt agree with you. Nearly every other post was you saying why a m6?

That was exactly my interpretation of that thread as well.
Old 08-14-2006, 06:17 PM
BMW-addicted

Quote:
Nearly every other post was you saying why a m6?
The title of this thread was "Why choose an M6 over an M5?".

So please keep in mind that this thread was opened by a member who had this specific question, so you can't actually be surprised that it came back to this point. It wasn't me who opened this specific thread....
Old 08-14-2006, 06:24 PM

Think as you will, i posted why i believe that thread was closed, and justly so. Someone else even agreed.

Next time chill out
Old 08-14-2006, 06:24 PM
BMW-addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAirbags

That was exactly my interpretation of that thread as well.
Well, that's what happens if there is a discussion on a board with two mebers sharing a different point of view. If the discussion stays clean, no need for the Administrator to take action. Nobody is required to post anything, so when you get tired of discussing, simply let it go...He also accused me of calling M6-owners stupid, which I never did. I compared the 2 cars, not their owners - big difference...

But stating "I'm the Administrator, that's my opinion and that's what counts, thread closed.." is not the way to go. Absolutely not...
Old 08-14-2006, 06:25 PM

obviously you havnt learned
Old 08-14-2006, 06:27 PM
BMW-addicted

Quote:
Think as you will, i posted why i believe that thread was closed, and justly so. Someone else even agreed.

Next time chill out
At least I know it's not worth discussing with the Administrator, especially not somebody who puts his opinion above others (there where also 2 other members on the m3-board who agreed about what I was saying - did he care about their opinion? I don't think so...).
Old 08-14-2006, 06:29 PM
BMW-addicted

Quote:
obviously you havnt learned
Right now you're doing exactly what YOU critized ME for. Not accepting other people's opinion. If you think he was right, power to you - but that does not mean I have to feel the same way...
Old 08-14-2006, 08:52 PM
BMW-addicted

Quote:

BTW, three other m3board members (CodeAC, Parisian and worldwide) shared my opinion, backed it with the same facts as I did, but the Admin only got on my back - well, I guess due to my low numbers of posts..

Just in case anybody's too lazy to read the thread on the other board. This is the EXACT copy of my final post before the Admin closed the thread. Let me know where I called M6-owners stupid or insulted them in any way or attacked them.... :

"Well, you compared the numbers of M5s and M6s currently on the road to get an indication which of those two cars is more exotic.

That simply doesn't work that way! How could the M6 possibly outnumber the M5 so shortly after it launched and the M5 is already on the market for a while? Such a comparison makes no sense!

There is no doubt that people are willing to pay the additional 20K, but I'm sure that the demand would be higher if they would offer the same options currently available on the M5. BTW, I don't care if a car has 4 or 2 doors, but many people will ask themself "What do I get if a sacrifice those doors and space and pay $20K more? An exclusive engine, exclusive options or colors? What does this $120K car offer what a porsche/maserati etc. can't offer?".

Fact is that BMW splitted the development costs for the V10 between those 2 cars. Since the M6 is produced in limited numbers when compared to the M5, every M6-buyer has to carry a bigger part of those costs. THAT'S where a part of the price-difference is coming from, not from the illusion that it's a better car. Those cars have too many parts in common to consider one car better than the other... (Is this an insult?)

Both are great cars and I'm sure that every M6-owner enjoys his car (So I'm not accepting other people's opinion/taste?) ,but the M5 wins the "bang-for-the-buck" contest hands down. Imagine what a M5-owner could do with $20K: Pimp his car and BLOW the M6 on track..."

None of my posts were dirty or got of track...If this post was a reason to close a thread, man - every thread should be closed after 5 posts....

Last edited by 760Lifan; 08-14-2006 at 09:15 PM.
Old 08-15-2006, 12:04 AM

No the reason you havnt learned, and the reason got the thread closed is you keep coming back saying the same stuff and dissagreeing over the same thing.

It doesnt matter who agrees or disagrees with you. You dont have to agree with me, but thats what happened. Rationalize all you want, but thats what happened. Complain whine all you want. It wont change a thing. Thats all you need to understand, repost all the arguements, rebuttles, opinions you want(on as many forums). Again it wont change a thing. Your thread will never be reopened! Thats all im trying to point out to you.

Reality is i agree with your arguement about m5 vs m6. But the original reason for the thread is pointless, and you just need to get over it. Thats all im trying to help you understand.

Last edited by Coco Savage; 08-15-2006 at 12:07 AM.
Old 08-15-2006, 08:34 AM
AMV Roady

Mein Auto: F01
Quote:
Originally Posted by 760Lifan
There is no economic or logical reason to pay the 20k premium to buy an M6 over an M5
No offense, but only a kid would make such a statement. I'll give you a valid economic and logical reason to settle this debate, once and for all.

#1 Because they can......20k is chump-change to alot of people.

#2 Alot of people don't want to be seen driving a 4 door performance car.
Old 08-15-2006, 08:37 AM

Mein Auto: '06 650i Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by HGilmore

Old 08-15-2006, 10:03 AM
BMW-addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by HGilmore
No offense, but only a kid would make such a statement. I'll give you a valid economic and logical reason to settle this debate, once and for all.

Those are REASONS WHY people spent the additional 20K, but they aren't economic or logical, they are based on personal taste, especially #2.....
Old 08-15-2006, 10:24 AM

Mein Auto: 99...540i
Quote:
Those are REASONS WHY people spent the additional 20K, but they aren't economic or logical, they are based on personal taste, especially #2.....
Buying a BMW like your 7 series was not economical or logical purchase...its a status and emotional buy...there are plenty of cars available that are much more economical, in price that will do the same thing as you 7....so I guess the guy that's driving the Ford Crown Vic is looking at you thinking....why did he spend another 20K for that car?

Lastly I think you enjoy the banter on this BB as well as the M3...your confrontational with anyone that seems to not share your views....Suggestion is get over it!

Its Going To Cost How Much???????
Old 08-15-2006, 10:37 AM
BMW-addicted

Quote:
No the reason you havnt learned, and the reason got the thread closed is you keep coming back saying the same stuff and dissagreeing over the same thing.

It doesnt matter who agrees or disagrees with you. You dont have to agree with me, but thats what happened. Rationalize all you want, but thats what happened. Complain whine all you want. It wont change a thing. Thats all you need to understand, repost all the arguements, rebuttles, opinions you want(on as many forums). Again it wont change a thing. Your thread will never be reopened! Thats all im trying to point out to you.

Reality is i agree with your arguement about m5 vs m6. But the original reason for the thread is pointless, and you just need to get over it. Thats all im trying to help you understand.
I know the thread will never be reopened. I didn't plan to keep on discussing the topic on this board. I just thought it might be interesting to see how discussions are handled on different forums. IMO, it's a conflict of interest when somebody who's involved in a discussion has the ability to leave his final statement and close a thread. Why didn't he do it right after my post if the discussion was pointless in the first place?

There is absolutely no reason why I wanted to have anybody to agree with my opinion about the M5 or M6 (no butt-kissing.. ), but everybody can see that the discussion was clean from my side and I never called M6 buyers idiots or anything else. Hey, I'm driving a car with the same engine, same transmission etc. WHAT IS A FORUM FOR IF YOU'RE NOT ENTITLED TO YOUR OPINION (That includes mine AND the other member's DIFFERENT opinion!)?

It's just a good thing that you can have a clean discussion on this forum without an Admin disturbing it. A problem on the m3board is that they have more than 10 moderators and actually nobody knows who's in charge?

I recall a discussion on this forum about M5 and M6, started by wolverine. He listed all the options in his 1st post that were missing on the M6. This was a LONG thread (actually the one I was referring to in my first post on m3board since I already knew what's goig to happen.. ) and didn't went as smooth as the other one. There was no Admin required either..

A question like "Which car would you pick over the other?" can be very difficult. I would pick the M5 over the M6, but does that mean I consider the M6 a bad car? Absolutely not! I would pick both, but that doesn't work with "pick one of two"...

FINALLY, I'd like to say what a great car the M6 is. I already pointed out before that those cars (M5 and M6) have too much in common to put one car over the other. They have a different purpose as well (2-door sportscar vs. sporty sedan). Which car is better for you? It all depends on what you like and what you need. If you're single, get the M6, if you have to entertain your family, get the M5. Hey, and that's actually why the M6 costs $20K more: When you're single, you can afford this mark-up, when you have a family, you can be happy if you're still able to afford the M5....
Old 08-15-2006, 10:42 AM
BMW-addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by dboy11
Buying a BMW like your 7 series was not economical or logical purchase...its a status and emotional buy...there are plenty of cars available that are much more economical, in price that will do the same thing as you 7....so I guess the guy that's driving the Ford Crown Vic is looking at you thinking....why did he spend another 20K for that car?

Lastly I think you enjoy the banter on this BB as well as the M3...your confrontational with anyone that seems to not share your views....Suggestion is get over it!
"Confrontations" on public forums are absolutely normal and O.K. if they stay clean (no personal attacks or bad language). Exchanging views and opinions is the purpose of a forum - correct me if i'm wrong. The problem is: According to the Admin from the other board, you just called me an idiot because you share a different opinion than I do...

But back to your post - yes, there is a gap between the 750Li and the 760Li, but those cars don't share the same engine, right? BMW only offers two different V12s, and the Li was the better value. This is the reason why BMW discontinued the short-wheel-based 760i for MY2007.
But you're right, NO BMW will win the economic contest in the near future....

Yes, we picked the 760Li because it's a great car, the higher lease is tax-deductible and this car is everything but ordinary. Do all those things apply to the M6 to M5 comparison as well? Absolutely! Those are reasons why people chose the M6 over the M5, but would I consider the 760Li a better value than the 750Li - Surprise: NO!

That's all I wanted to point out! The lower production-numbers also apply to the V12, same story! And if anybody thinks the 750Li has the better value: Yes, it has!

It all depends on your personal preferences, but your decision does not change the car you're buying. Yes, you're willing to pay an upmark, but you might do that for tax-purposes or personal taste and there's nothing wrong with that! My comparison was based on specs and numbers, not personal preferences. A personal pref.-comparison doesn't work that easy, or do you recall a car magazine stating "Car XXX wins the comparison because it's nicer and has a higher tax-deduction when leased..."??

I hope I could tell you what I mean...

Last edited by 760Lifan; 08-15-2006 at 12:41 PM.
Old 08-15-2006, 12:47 PM

Quote:
FIXED
Old 08-15-2006, 01:22 PM
BMW-addicted

Quote:
BTW, rules the world! Politicians , celebrities , everybody

So let's altogether.....

Last edited by 760Lifan; 08-15-2006 at 01:57 PM.
Old 08-15-2006, 04:20 PM

you forgot about the waaahh smiley.. shameful
Old 08-15-2006, 04:40 PM
BMW-addicted

Quote:
you forgot about the waaahh smiley.. shameful
Sorry, I apologize...
There you go...