Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E60 M5 (2006 - 2010)

E60 M5 (2006 - 2010)

Old 07-30-2006, 08:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 M5, 2005 M3
Seeing the 2007 M5's come out with a manual transmission is like seeing people actually buy M6's. What's the point? But I guess old habits die hard.

In the case of the M6, if I wanted a BMW coupe with no legroom in the back, I'd get an M3 rather than packing on the extra pounds of a bloated 6 chassis. Sure the M6 will smoke my "old" M3 off the line, but ahhh the handling of the M3, surgical ... and if you want more powerful coupe, then just wait for the new M3 ... I'm sure it'll smoke too. In other words, if you want a big car the M5 just makes sense. (Sorry y'all have to listen to me ... I saw 3 M6's today in San Francisco and I can't just walk up to the owners and start cr*! with them so you get to hear my gripes). Oh, and I think my M3 even had more room in the backseat than the M6.

In the case of the manual transmission, I've had my Interlagos Blue Metallic M5 for a few months now and can honestly say that neither I nor anyone I know work a manual transmission faster. Sure, I'm no pro, but I have friends who are and my blue beasty has made a believer out of all of them. I've been driving a manual transmission for 15+ years and I can relate ... I was reluctant at first too. And it's not like the dealers let you hammer the transmission on a test drive the cars beforehand. So, find a friend with one and have him/her take you for a ride. You'll know right away. Besides, the car accelerates so quickly that I'd feel safer knowing that all you maniacs around me have both hands on the wheel

... And if having a clutch pedal is so superior, then why have Ferrari and the F1 cars all moved over? Don't you think it's in their interest to pack the best performance into their cars too?

Sure the last gen SMG that they put in the e46 m3 wasn't a superb transmission as is the one in the M5. But it wasn't built from the ground up for the engine either ... I read the SMG controller was just a bolt-on to the existing manual transmission platform. Besides this, do you think that BMW put as much engineering into this new 6-speed as they did into the SMG? Where's the transmission coming from anyway? I even believe that, albeit not very graceful, the e46's SMG still shifted faster than humanly possible. I may be wrong. Go try and race one sometime and let me know.

I'm delighted with my SMG. If transmissions keep getting better like this, then I'll probably never go back to a clutch pedal. Oh, and I think I've only used the D program twice. I'm still a shifter. And, if those of you are wondering about the 2005 M3 in my profile ... It's a manual.

Last edited by kimchimofo; 07-30-2006 at 08:09 PM.
Old 07-30-2006, 09:11 PM
BMW-addicted

Mein Auto: Not worth mentioning
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimchimofo
Seeing the 2007 M5's come out with a manual transmission is like seeing people actually buy M6's. What's the point? But I guess old habits die hard.

In the case of the M6, if I wanted a BMW coupe with no legroom in the back, I'd get an M3 rather than packing on the extra pounds of a bloated 6 chassis. Sure the M6 will smoke my "old" M3 off the line, but ahhh the handling of the M3, surgical ... and if you want more powerful coupe, then just wait for the new M3 ... I'm sure it'll smoke too. In other words, if you want a big car the M5 just makes sense. (Sorry y'all have to listen to me ... I saw 3 M6's today in San Francisco and I can't just walk up to the owners and start cr*! with them so you get to hear my gripes). Oh, and I think my M3 even had more room in the backseat than the M6.

In the case of the manual transmission, I've had my Interlagos Blue Metallic M5 for a few months now and can honestly say that neither I nor anyone I know work a manual transmission faster. Sure, I'm no pro, but I have friends who are and my blue beasty has made a believer out of all of them. I've been driving a manual transmission for 15+ years and I can relate ... I was reluctant at first too. And it's not like the dealers let you hammer the transmission on a test drive the cars beforehand. So, find a friend with one and have him/her take you for a ride. You'll know right away. Besides, the car accelerates so quickly that I'd feel safer knowing that all you maniacs around me have both hands on the wheel

... And if having a clutch pedal is so superior, then why have Ferrari and the F1 cars all moved over? Don't you think it's in their interest to pack the best performance into their cars too?

Sure the last gen SMG that they put in the e46 m3 wasn't a superb transmission as is the one in the M5. But it wasn't built from the ground up for the engine either ... I read the SMG controller was just a bolt-on to the existing manual transmission platform. Besides this, do you think that BMW put as much engineering into this new 6-speed as they did into the SMG? Where's the transmission coming from anyway? I even believe that, albeit not very graceful, the e46's SMG still shifted faster than humanly possible. I may be wrong. Go try and race one sometime and let me know.

I'm delighted with my SMG. If transmissions keep getting better like this, then I'll probably never go back to a clutch pedal. Oh, and I think I've only used the D program twice. I'm still a shifter. And, if those of you are wondering about the 2005 M3 in my profile ... It's a manual.
I totally agree...
Old 07-30-2006, 09:48 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: German
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Fahrer
I'm conducting a survey here to see what everyone thinks about ordering an M5. I've been wanting a new M5 since I saw the first one roll into the local dealer last month. However, I'm divided between an '06 with the SMG or wait for the '07 with the 6-speed manual. Interestingly, the 6-speed has a longer wait list at a dealer. Seems that there are many die hards who still want to wrap their palms around a shifter knob while driving.
Both our GT2 and E30 are stick shift, but if the GT2 had come with an SMG option, I would not hesitate to get it.

I had a great time with the E46 M3 SMG before the car got crashed and totalled by the dealer, and if SMG II was any indication, the SMG III in the M5 is most certainly a good tranny.
Old 07-31-2006, 12:06 PM

Mein Auto: BMW E60 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimchimofo

Almost 25,000 miles on my M5, manual transmission afficionado, moved from the M5 list to the M6, then back to the M5. I absolutely agree with everything you say, about the M6, M3, M5, and SMG. Good points.

In addition, the rumour is that the 6sp M5 will not allow you to turn off DSC! If this is true, there are going to be a lot of really pissed off people who have waited for the 6sp M5.
V1 Hardwired
Blinder Xtreme M40
Michelin PS2's on 20 inch BBS RS-GT's
Blizzak LM 22's on OEM 19 inch wheels
Straight Pipes/No Resonator
Charcoal Filters Removed
H&R Springs and Spacers Installed
Dinan 3.91 Differential
BMC Air Filters
Old 07-31-2006, 12:06 PM

Deleted duplicate post

Last edited by wolverine; 07-31-2006 at 12:42 PM.
Old 07-31-2006, 01:31 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 535i
When folks continue to compare an M5/6 to an M3, it just really shows their ignorance and lack of understanding.

You cannot compare a consumer level track car to high performance luxury sedans and coupes. They are destined for totally different markets/customers.

Not sure why there is so much hatred towards those with M5/6's. I am sure there is some jealousy and income levels that must be dealt with.

The good news is, if you don't want an M5/6, you don't have to buy one. But please, don't bore us with rediculous comparisons.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:06 PM

It also seems the HUD might be a bit awkward with a manual instead of an SMG, at least if you use the M mode (which I also wish had shift level, dsc, and power mode icons).

Yep, SMG with DSC off, now that is an insane experience huh!! Roast tires in 2nd at 60, and chirp going into 3rd. Sadly, some roads out here in SF are so bad and the power in the M5 is so magnificent that when I turn off the DSC the tires never truly grip under heavy acceleration. MDM does fine under these circumstances, but DSC-off feels so much more direct that I turn it off whenever road conditions allow. So, this will be a missed feature if it's, indeed, true that it won't be present in the manual versions of the car.

Like a previous reader had commented, I think I had also read that BMW acknowledged that the performance of the M5/M6's will be diminished with the manual transmission, and they are mainly taking the action to placate US consumers. At about the same time I had read that BMW was planning to only release e90 M's in a SMG. At the time I was disappointed. That is, until I took delivery of my e60 M5.

I bet the manuals will still be insanely pleasurable though!! It's an M after all.
Old 08-02-2006, 01:17 PM

Mein Auto: m60 m5
Traded my e36 M3 for the e60 M5. I can't say that I don't miss the footpedal( I know because there's an involuntary movement in my left leg at redline), but this car is married at a very deep level to the SMG.
Old 08-16-2006, 11:51 AM

Yeah I drove a manual with a clutch pedal the other day too ... and I did kind of miss it actually. It's been a while since I'd driven one too.

Under hard acceleration in the M5 I'm glad I have the SMG. I'm thinking about getting a 2007 GT3 when they come out though, and they are only offered in pure Manual this year, so it'll be interesting to see which one I ultimately prefer.

I'm quite happy still with the SMG in the M5 though, and think I'd order it again if I was getting another one. Though I do love the Interlagos Blue, I think I'd probably get a dark grey if they made one. They have silver gray but I'm looking for something between that and Black. Looks like Stratus Gray will be released for the M6 for 2007, but I didn't see it on the list for the M5.

fboros, have you gotten it past the break-in yet? What do you think?
Old 08-16-2006, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverstone View Post
I own an E39 M5 and an E60 M5.

There is something more organic about communitcating with your car with a manual transmission. The E39 feels like it has more torque at lower RPMs and there is something about a clutch that is beautiful and raw. It is in many ways a more satisfying drive.

The paddles on the E60 are like using a videogame controller-- you push a button to change gears. There is obviously no clutch and I personally feel it is a less engaging way to access the 500hp engine. I only use auto mode when I am on the phone or in stop-and-go traffic because it blows. It really sucks to be in limbo mode between 1st and second gear. In the higher gear shifts it is relatively seamless.

On the more positive side of things; SMG shifts are cleaner, quicker, easier and downshifts sound fantastic! The car feels like it was meant for this transmission, period. When you drive the car you will know what I mean. You get used to the paddles and I would have to say that after driving the E60 for a couple of weeks now, a stick would feel out of place bigtime-- it's not right for the car regardless of how awesome it would be to control the V-10 directly. It would be like mating an atari joystick to a playstation two.

My great respect for the M division gave me no qualms about buying the SMG. They love what they make and they made the E60 M5 for SMG only, just like they made the E39 for a stick. They're the artists who created this gorgeous beast, I say go with the SMG.

Well, I've got 25,000 miles now, and I'm getting my clutch and tranny replaced. The car stranded me in the middle of a 6 lane road on a Saturday night. I've driven manual tranny german cars for over 25 years, and until now, I've never had one single problem with the transmission.

Well, I love the SMG. That's saying a lot, since it stranded me for 2 hours on a Saturday night, and I won't have my car back for a week or so. You probably were expecting a rant, but I have to say that after about 25,000 miles in the M5, I wouldn't take anything else.

When I first got my M5, I test drove a 997S on some very twisty roads, then took the same route in the M5. I was very dissapointed in the M5 in terms of the 'connection to the road'. Two weeks ago I took the same test drive in a Cayman, and my modified (H&R springs and spacers) M5.

I was astounded at how much faster I was in the M5. I was hitting 75 mph in the Cayman in spots I was over 100 mph in the M5. I kept tapping the non-existant paddles on the Cayman to shift - I had gotten used to the effortless shifting of the M5. The end result was that I had more fun in the M5, because I could really thow the car around, and didn't have to worry as much about heel and toe braking and rev matching.

So, the SMG has it's problems, and will shortly be replaced with a DSG type tranny for smoothness (the SMG is awful in that respect). But paddle shifting is here to stay, and once you warm up to it, you can concentrate more on what the car is doing on the road, as opposed to what your feet are doing on the pedals. A big two thumbs up from a manual diehard!
V1 Hardwired
Blinder Xtreme M40
Michelin PS2's on 20 inch BBS RS-GT's
Blizzak LM 22's on OEM 19 inch wheels
Straight Pipes/No Resonator
Charcoal Filters Removed
H&R Springs and Spacers Installed
Dinan 3.91 Differential
BMC Air Filters