Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Motorsports, Racing & Track

Motorsports, Racing & Track
From Formula One to Auto-X, discuss everything related to going fast here...

Old 09-16-2002, 09:29 AM
Double Bimmers

Mein Auto: 2003 330i & 1988 325is
The driving school was fun!

The driving school was fun, the first day was dry and the second day was wet.

Some people say you learn more in the rain… I don’t know. In the rain speeds are normally, but by acclimating to the car and the track I was running about the same speed both days. On the second day I was doing all the passing, vs. 50/50 the first day. On the second day in the rain I was driving as fast as the tires would hang on, but the first day I was learning the car and the preferred line. My instructor was truly outstanding! He flew in from some other part of the country to lead the classroom sessions, but he was also my in-car instructor. On the second day we started doing fun things. Sometimes after a pass he would have me stay off line and enter the corner (still off line), negotiate the corner while gradually working our way back to the line mid-corner. I think because he knew I knew how to drive the line, he just wanted to throw me some curve-balls. When we were clear of traffic, we did ABS tests from 90MPH. He encouraged me to do things that were just down-right scary until I accepted it was possible. One of these was to hold full throttle from turn-6 to turn-9 (up-shift to 4th gear). We also experimented with finding new lines as pudding and rivers developed on the track. All and all it was easier on the car than I expected. The engine was never spinning less than 3,500 RPM, & I almost always short-shifted each gear. It was not a race, so who cares if I may have been going 10 MPH slower than possible at the end of the straight! Also, being that is was really raining the second day; the brakes were never over worked. Okay I was probably going 15 MPH slower, because I was only using 75% brake force, I am sure my instructor was more comfortable knowing there was some margin. A key driving skill I really developed was this transition from braking to turning. I think this may pay off for ˝ a sec at the autocross. The skid-pad was also a lot of fun. By the second day, I could set the tail out, and keep it there for nearly a whole lap or more. This was really getting my skid-pad instructor excited! I think he may have given me a few extra laps just to see how long I could go. He kept pointing and yelling… “Your class is watching; keep it out there for them”. Whoever thinks E30’s are hard to control… I don’t know what you are smoking.
Old 09-16-2002, 09:51 AM
TD

Mein Auto:
I got your message rather late last night. I look forward to hearing more about it. (Bastard...)
Old 09-16-2002, 11:57 AM
Car Junkie

Mein Auto: '88 M3, Ex-'99 M3
I'm definitely signing up for the next school, which is probably next spring. Sounds like you had a blast!

'88 M3
Conforti chip, Evo airbox/K&N filter, UUC short shift kit, oil pan baffle, Hella H4 lights, OEM glass sunroof
sold: '99 M3 Coupe
Cosmos Black
Airbox baffle removed, ZKW ellipsoid headlights, UUC short shift kit, BMW x-brace, debadged

'96 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo V8
(Support Vehicle)
Old 09-16-2002, 12:00 PM
A sudden sense of liberty

Mein Auto: 535xiT, Golf R, 987S
Do you guys who have done it think it would be worth doing in a FWD all-season tire equipped econobox, or would it just be a waste?
Old 09-16-2002, 12:04 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to Ben Chou
Mein Auto: 2007 335i Convertible
All this driving school talk and I too, think I am going to have to get out there and participate in one.
Old 09-16-2002, 12:13 PM
Double Bimmers

Quote:
Originally posted by Ben Chou
All this driving school talk and I too, think I am going to have to get out there and participate in one.
I am not so sure E46's really belong out there

Just kidding.

I knew I was doing something wrong the first day, because I got passed by a 330i SP (MV spoke 18s) and an E46 325Ci SP. Trust me on the 2nd day in the rain... even their DSC didn't let them out pace me.
Old 09-16-2002, 12:14 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to Ben Chou
Mein Auto: 2007 335i Convertible
Quote:
Originally posted by CD-55

I am not so sure E46's really belong out there

Just kidding.

I knew I was doing something wrong the first day, because I got passed by a 330i SP (MV spoke 18s) and an E46 325Ci SP. Trust me on the 2nd day in the rain... even their DSC didn't let them out pace me.
I'll have to come out and tell you personally. When is the next one?
Old 09-16-2002, 12:21 PM
OMGWTFBBQ

Mein Auto:
This is just great...

Now there's going to be even more people applying next spring making it more difficult for any of us to be able to go

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 09-16-2002, 12:23 PM
I like cookies.

Mein Auto: 328Ci
You are getting me exited for my next track day.

I got my confirmation for the 28/29th event. I also faxed in a form for Oct 12/13, but am on the wait list. That is in Texas, so quite a drive, but worth it!

Glad you didn't use the R-comps. I really want to drive my car on a skid pad as I only did it at the Performance Center with black-ice like grip...
Old 09-16-2002, 12:23 PM
Car Junkie

Mein Auto: '88 M3, Ex-'99 M3
Quote:
Originally posted by JST
Do you guys who have done it think it would be worth doing in a FWD all-season tire equipped econobox, or would it just be a waste?
I haven't done it, so my opinion isn't worth the full two cents. However, I've been told by several of my track buddies that any car can have fun at the track. One of my friends is a recent trackhead and has gone to VIR a handful of times. He and his C5 routinely pass Accords and Civics. So you won't be the FTD that day, but I think it would still be fun to go in the GTI.

'88 M3
Conforti chip, Evo airbox/K&N filter, UUC short shift kit, oil pan baffle, Hella H4 lights, OEM glass sunroof
sold: '99 M3 Coupe
Cosmos Black
Airbox baffle removed, ZKW ellipsoid headlights, UUC short shift kit, BMW x-brace, debadged

'96 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo V8
(Support Vehicle)
Old 09-16-2002, 12:26 PM
TD

Mein Auto:
At least for the next school, Hunter will have the same application handicap as I had this time - a whopping 2 full days of track experience. So Clyde and Blair will get priority over Hunter and I.
Old 09-16-2002, 12:30 PM
Double Bimmers

Quote:
Originally posted by JST
Yeah, go for it! When you get the line down you should be able to keep up a normal pace.
Old 09-16-2002, 01:12 PM
OMGWTFBBQ

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally posted by Holden
At least for the next school, Hunter will have the same application handicap as I had this time - a whopping 2 full days of track experience. So Clyde and Blair will get priority over Hunter and I.
Quote:
For each event, applicants who are members of the National Capital Chapter will be grouped according to the number of NCC school days that they have attended during 2002. The groups will consist of those with 0 or 1 school day, 2 or 3 school days, and 4 or 5 school days. The Highway Safety School will not be counted. An NCC event to which an applicant has been admitted but that has not yet been held will be counted.
Maybe it will change for 2003, but for this year, it would seem like having done 2 (or more) days in 2001 would not have hindered you for a school this year.

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 09-16-2002, 01:31 PM
Double Bimmers

If you want to do schools, we need the $7 assoiciate membership in other chapters. Also, there is always the FATT (Fridays at the Track) school. http://www.bsr-inc.com/SCHEDREC.HTM

I would rather go to a BMW school.
Old 09-16-2002, 01:36 PM

Hey!

Vehicle Eligibility
1. Street cars on street tires. (No SUV's or trucks.)
2. Roll bars are mandatory for all convertibles.
3. Functional factory or "pop up" roll bars are acceptable such as Porsche Boxster or BMW Z3.
4. Driver's and passenger's seat must provide identical protection, including seat belts and roll bar padding.
5/ SCCA legal showroom stock and IT cars.

http://www.bsr-inc.com/FATT.HTM
Old 09-16-2002, 01:44 PM
TD

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally posted by JST
Hey!

Vehicle Eligibility
1. Street cars on street tires. (No SUV's or trucks.)
2. Roll bars are mandatory for all convertibles.
3. Functional factory or "pop up" roll bars are acceptable such as Porsche Boxster or BMW Z3.
4. Driver's and passenger's seat must provide identical protection, including seat belts and roll bar padding.
5/ SCCA legal showroom stock and IT cars.

http://www.bsr-inc.com/FATT.HTM

That's for FATT. The NCC schools do not allow the convertibles.

But, YES, your car is allowed at FATT.
Old 09-16-2002, 01:47 PM
I like cookies.

Mein Auto: 328Ci
You should go JST!

Convertibles are fun at the track too, just don't roll it over!

btw, seems pretty expensive for only one day
Old 09-16-2002, 01:47 PM

Quote:

My car is indeed phat.

The NCC guys are wimps.

I'll have to do one of the FATT events next year; not sure if the weather in December makes that (open) date very attractive.
Old 09-16-2002, 01:52 PM
OMGWTFBBQ

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally posted by JST
My car is indeed phat.
OT, but "phat" is now a real word according to the Oxford English Dictionary (as well as others)

http://www.oed.com/public/news/0106_2.htm

Team WTF?!
What are you gonna do?
Old 09-16-2002, 01:58 PM
Double Bimmers

Quote:

The Tidwater chapter permits convertibles. VIR is not so far away.
Old 09-17-2002, 09:40 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Nick325xiT 5spd Send a message via AIM to Nick325xiT 5spd Send a message via Yahoo to Nick325xiT 5spd
Mein Auto: M3 & 323i/999 KP
I am definitely goign to have to do this next year.
1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
1989 325is S50B30US Alpinweiß/Black
1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black S50B32 (321hp, ITBs)

Old 09-21-2002, 05:17 AM
M Mad

Mein Auto: M Roadster/M3
Track events are great fun, and good learning. I would not hesitate to take ANY car that I drive to a track event to learn how to better drive it.

I did an event out at BeaveRun and two instructors brought Minis and two brought Subaru WRXs. The BMW contingent ran from E30 325s through E46 M3s.

I am running next weekend at Watkins Glen.

NCC is quite strange. Most BMW clubs do not allow convertibles, some do, but with rull SCCA legal roll bars. I had an email exchange with the NCC chief instructor and ws told that they would not allow Schroth harnesses because they were not as good as a 5/6 point harness. ???? Also that they "actively discouraged" wearing driver's suits, but require long sleeves and long pants of natural fibers to reduce the risk of burns from fires. ??? If you are concerned with fire, why not promote driver's suits? Why not the Schroth harnesses (which BTW they say nothing about not allowing in the any printed materials) as they are better than the stock 3 pt harnesses, and are so good that they are BMW dealer installed accessories in Germany?

So I vote with my participation and did an associate membership with Allegheny and Genesee Vally chapters. That gives me priority for BeaveRun (NICE track) and Watkins Glen. And I will run VIR to hook up wiht a friend in NC.

I will run Summit Piont with FATT or with the Audi club (have a contact there).

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Red/White SRF #4 (Chassis 561)