Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Site Sponsors & Bimmerfest Group Buys

Site Sponsors & Bimmerfest Group Buys
Looking to get some great BMW parts for your car? Get the latest info on sponsor group buys, new products or simply ask a site sponsor a question here!

Old 12-06-2005, 12:01 PM
european auto source

Mein Auto: BMW
[eas] View iPod Video movies on stock BMW NAV screen and more!

View iPod Video movies/slideshows on your stock BMW NAV screen

european auto source (eas) is pleased to announce our Video Source Module kit for BMW and Mini applications. Imagine viewing movies and/or picture slideshows from your Video iPod (or slideshows from 4G Color iPod) in high quality on your BMW Navigation Screen!

Features

Two Video Inputs - with adjustable color contrast.
Smart Technology - provides automatic switching of input devices.
iPod Ready - Inputs for iPod Video and Color iPod for Video/Slideshow viewing.
AUX input - provides audio AUX input for other devices, including iPod.

Two video inputs are available on the Video Source Module kit, perfect for a DVD Player or Backup Camera (available seperately). Sound is integrated into your factory system for perfect quality audio. An AUX jack is also provided for use when the Video Souce is not being used for other devices.

Smart Technology

Smart Technology will automatically switch input sources when activated. For example, Input #1 can use utilized for your reverse camera and take over input #2 when activated. When both devices are shut off - the screen reverts back to stock Navigation mode.

iPod Video (5G) and 4G Color iPod

Fully compatible with the 4G Color iPod and new iPod Video. With the Apple A/V Cable set, you are able to view Full-Motion Video and Picture Slideshows and play audio through your stock sound system without the need for the ice>Link Plus.

iPod Slideshows

Picture Slideshows are also available, with background music from the iPod as well. You can view any picture from your iPod on your NAV screen!

DVD Video Playback

With our optional Slot Load DVD Player, you can also view DVD movies on your stock NAV screen. Our DVD players play DVD/VCD/SVCD/MP3 & Multi Region discs and feature additional AUX ports in front and rear. Also features integrated TV Tuner.

Remote Control and Mountable IR Eye Sensor are also included.

Reverse Camera Integration

We also offer our Reverse Infared NightVision Reverse Camera for installation in your Trunk Keyhole for factory-like integration.

Compatibility

The eas Video Navigation Source kit is compatible for the following vehicles:

Models Supported:

9/2002-2005 3 Series (including M3)
9/2002-2003 5 Series (including M5)
2004-2005 X3
2000-2005 X5
2003-2005 Z4

Pre 09/02 applications are coming soon.

Introductory Pricing:

eas Video Navigation Source Kit - $425.00
Integrated Keyhole Reverse Camera w/ Nightvision - $175.00
12V Slot Load DVD Player w/ TV Tuner - $175.00

Limited quanities are now in stock and shipping by the end of the week!

Lastly, as a teaser - here is a short video clip of the DVD video in action:

http://europeanautosource.com/clips/easdvdnav.wmv

As always, questions are welcome.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG FACEBOOK YOUTUBE FLICKR INSTAGRAM
Ads by Google
Old 03-28-2006, 08:37 AM

Mein Auto: '03 330i zhp
I hope I didn't miss this in the explanation...but what are you clicking on to switch from navi to video input... is there an added menu item on the screen to choose the video input?
Old 03-28-2006, 09:41 AM
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by surina777
I hope I didn't miss this in the explanation...but what are you clicking on to switch from navi to video input... is there an added menu item on the screen to choose the video input?
This intercepts the video input - no selections are on the screen. This will also depend on your video source.

Most in-car DVD players (including ours) have a trigger wire that tells the VSM to revert to VSM mode. As soon as the device is turned off - you are back in NAV mode.

Since iPods do not have a trigger source, a seperate switch is needed to activate the VSM.

Hope this helps!

Old 03-30-2006, 09:08 AM

Mein Auto: '03 330i zhp
ok so basically...when the power is on ...lets say the dvd drive..it automatically detects that and switches to video mode...when the power is off the dvd ... then its back to navi...

so basically its almost like a videoswitcher?
Old 03-30-2006, 09:10 AM
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by surina777
ok so basically...when the power is on ...lets say the dvd drive..it automatically detects that and switches to video mode...when the power is off the dvd ... then its back to navi...

so basically its almost like a videoswitcher?
Correct!

Old 04-13-2006, 10:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 M3
How is it installed? DIY possible?
Old 04-13-2006, 10:07 PM
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by stjoons
How is it installed? DIY possible?
Very simple 4 wire connection and plugging into your stock NAV computer.

Old 05-17-2006, 07:06 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 540i M-Sport
Ok, so I understand that it detects the signal coming from the DVD player & switches to the correct input. But the video says switching on the fly. SO if I want to switch to Navi for a bit, I would have to power off the DVD player then power it back on when I want to switch back to the DVD. Same question goes for it using the Ipod Video.

Also, what about the Reverse Camera. Does it come on when you through the car in reverse.
Old 05-17-2006, 07:12 PM
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArCaDe
Ok, so I understand that it detects the signal coming from the DVD player & switches to the correct input. But the video says switching on the fly. SO if I want to switch to Navi for a bit, I would have to power off the DVD player then power it back on when I want to switch back to the DVD. Same question goes for it using the Ipod Video.
Yes for the DVD, since our DVD player features a trigger wire to alert the VSM to turn on/off. Unfortunately, the iPod does not have a trigger wire so an external switch must be used.

Simply power on the remote on the DVD player and it switches modes. Turn off the remote and you return back to NAV.

Quote:
Also, what about the Reverse Camera. Does it come on when you through the car in reverse.
Same story for the reverse camera, since the VSM will be using the reverse lamp for the source trigger. Since the reverse camera is used for Video input #1, it takes predominance over the entire system.

For example, if you had the DVD player active on the screen and switched to reverse, the camera image would show up on the NAV screen, until the BMW is taken out of reverse.

Old 05-17-2006, 07:30 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. Ok, your post says the DVD is $175 but the site lists $275. Is this a newer unit? Also, do you sell the external switch for the Ipod?

If I got the reverse camera system, that would use Input one. Then the DVD would use Input two. Does the unit have a seperate Input for the Ipod or would that have to be connected to the DVD if I went with that the the reverse camera system.

Lastly, what are some good places to mount the DVD player?
Old 05-17-2006, 07:57 PM

I know I forgot to ask another question. With the VSM, can you control your Ipod via the Navigation & Steering Wheel buttons? If not, how would I be able to attain that functionality while using the VSM & see also get the track info, etc to display on the Nav screen?
Old 05-18-2006, 12:28 PM
european auto source

Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply. Ok, your post says the DVD is $175 but the site lists $275. Is this a newer unit? Also, do you sell the external switch for the Ipod?
The original post has an older DVD player that was supersceeded with the new model that has USB flashcard and DivX support. I have one of the older models still in stock if interested, but most people prefer the newer model, or the iLink if using an iPod

Quote:
If I got the reverse camera system, that would use Input one. Then the DVD would use Input two. Does the unit have a seperate Input for the Ipod or would that have to be connected to the DVD if I went with that the the reverse camera system.
The DVD player has a AUX bypass that will allow for a 3rd A/V AUX to be added when the DVD player is not in use. Simply select AUX on the DVD player and it will bring you over to AUX mode for the iPod.

Quote:
Lastly, what are some good places to mount the DVD player?
Trunk is always best for the DVD player. This keeps it hidden and out of the way.

Quote:
I know I forgot to ask another question. With the VSM, can you control your Ipod via the Navigation & Steering Wheel buttons? If not, how would I be able to attain that functionality while using the VSM & see also get the track info, etc to display on the Nav screen?
VSM does not allow steering wheel control, it acts as a gateway for the video - the DVD player and iLink each have their own wireless remotes to allow full control over the devices.

Old 05-18-2006, 04:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 bmw 525i
do u have anything for an 04-07 e60?
Old 05-18-2006, 05:15 PM
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by houbmw
do u have anything for an 04-07 e60?
Still in development, contact me by email and I will be happy to place you on our waiting list!

Old 05-22-2006, 09:07 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 530i
do you have anything for an '03 745LI ?
Old 05-22-2006, 09:16 AM
european auto source

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbringas
do you have anything for an '03 745LI ?
Very soon. Contact me via email and I will be happy to place you on our waiting list.

Old 06-12-2006, 09:17 AM

Ok, had another question regarding the VSM. You stated before if I wanted steering wheel control and also be able to display track names, etc on-screen, I would need the iLink? So, if I use the iLink would I lose the ability to play video from the iPod? Basically, what is the best setup if I want the VSM for camera, DVD, & iPod and still be able to have steering wheel control (& track info, etc) as well as play iPod videos on the navi screen.
Old 06-12-2006, 09:29 AM
european auto source

Quote:
Ok, had another question regarding the VSM. You stated before if I wanted steering wheel control and also be able to display track names, etc on-screen, I would need the iLink? So, if I use the iLink would I lose the ability to play video from the iPod? Basically, what is the best setup if I want the VSM for camera, DVD, & iPod and still be able to have steering wheel control (& track info, etc) as well as play iPod videos on the navi screen.
The iLink comes with a wireless remote for control. You are able to see track names and video on the screen in VSM mode. The iLink gives you more video options such as DivX which is very popular and offer higher resolution than the 320x240 iTunes format for a clearer picture.

What you are asking for will require the following setup:

Video Source Module (VSM) for BMW - Core System
http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...roducts_id=161

iLink-L2 Multimedia Interface for iPod
http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...roducts_id=264

VSM Rearview "Keyhole" Camera
http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...roducts_id=162

Also, you will probably not want to have videos enabled all the time (we urge you do not watch videos while driving), this is where the DICE iPod kit ill come into play:

DICE iPod Integration Kit for BMW
http://www.europeanautosource.com/pr...roducts_id=268

This will get video content from your iPod or other device with A/V outputs, complete control of your iPod as well as all an integrated system for your iPod when listening to music only.

Old 06-16-2006, 06:27 PM

Ok, I think i'm getting it. So the VSM only has 2 inputs. To connect the Ipod I would have to have the video cable for it and it will use one of the inputs. If I get the iLink, it has the video cable plus gives me remote control and the other extra features. Am I correct so far?

So I would get the VSM, rearview camera, & iLink. So if I wanted to have DVD to, is that possible? I assume not since the rearview camera would use one input & the iLink would use the 2nd.
Old 06-16-2006, 06:31 PM
european auto source

Quote:
Ok, I think i'm getting it. So the VSM only has 2 inputs. To connect the Ipod I would have to have the video cable for it and it will use one of the inputs. If I get the iLink, it has the video cable plus gives me remote control and the other extra features. Am I correct so far?
Correct.

Quote:
So I would get the VSM, rearview camera, & iLink. So if I wanted to have DVD to, is that possible? I assume not since the rearview camera would use one input & the iLink would use the 2nd.
The DVD player has an additional A/V passthrough port so a 3rd device can be utilized and switched using the wireless remote. IMHO, it's pointless to have both the iLink and the DVD player.

Old 06-16-2006, 06:40 PM

Pointless to a degree. If I have the iLink I can store movies on the iPod. But if someone comes with a new DVD, I would have to get it on the iPod before I could watch it in the car. Atleast with the DVD player, I could just pop the disc in and play. Guess I have to determine what I would be watching more of. Plus the DVD player has the TV Tuner which is a plus.

What I dont understand is why I would need the iLink & DICE or would it be one or the other? Does the iLink display the track title info on the Navi screen?
Old 06-16-2006, 06:44 PM
european auto source

Quote:
Pointless to a degree. If I have the iLink I can store movies on the iPod. But if someone comes with a new DVD, I would have to get it on the iPod before I could watch it in the car. Atleast with the DVD player, I could just pop the disc in and play. Guess I have to determine what I would be watching more of. Plus the DVD player has the TV Tuner which is a plus.

What I dont understand is why I would need the iLink & DICE or would it be one or the other? Does the iLink display the track title info on the Navi screen?
You won't be able to use the DICE until the Video specific cradle is released. Until then, it's the iPod itself or the iLink. The iLink will display ID3 information to the NAV screen, but is controlled via the wireless remote rather than the steering wheel.

Old 06-16-2006, 06:59 PM

Okay, I feel like i'm monopolizing the thread but I'm a person to ask a million questions before I buy. So please forgive me.

So currently the DICE doesn't do video until the cradle is released. But the DICE doesn't play WMA or Divx\Xvid which the iLink does. So I would only want the DICE if I want steering wheel control versus using a remote control. Does the iLink's remote control control everything, such as switching between videos, or switching to photos or music. I assume thats what this comments means: Control the iPod with a wireless IR remote control for total hands free operation & Display full on-screen menus on any video display.

Lastly, so if I did decide to do VSM, camera, DVD, & iLink I would have to connect the iLink to the DVD player. Is there a long enough cable so that I could locate the iPod in the glovebox but have the DVD in the trunk. Or would I mount the iLink close to the DVD then use extension cables to run the video & audio to the DVD.

Hopefully thats everything. I'm sure i'm asking a bunch of questions others wanted to ask but haven't.
Old 06-18-2006, 06:17 PM
european auto source

Quote:
Okay, I feel like i'm monopolizing the thread but I'm a person to ask a million questions before I buy. So please forgive me.

So currently the DICE doesn't do video until the cradle is released. But the DICE doesn't play WMA or Divx\Xvid which the iLink does. So I would only want the DICE if I want steering wheel control versus using a remote control. Does the iLink's remote control control everything, such as switching between videos, or switching to photos or music. I assume thats what this comments means: Control the iPod with a wireless IR remote control for total hands free operation & Display full on-screen menus on any video display.
The DICE will offer steering wheel control, the iLink will give you a wireless remote and all for a variety of other formats to playback as well.

Quote:
Lastly, so if I did decide to do VSM, camera, DVD, & iLink I would have to connect the iLink to the DVD player. Is there a long enough cable so that I could locate the iPod in the glovebox but have the DVD in the trunk. Or would I mount the iLink close to the DVD then use extension cables to run the video & audio to the DVD.

Hopefully thats everything. I'm sure i'm asking a bunch of questions others wanted to ask but haven't.
The VSM will only offer 2 inputs, but the DVD player has a A/V bypass which will allow a 3rd input to be utilized. Plenty of cable length is included as well as everything needed for the installation, as well as support if needed.

Old 05-09-2011, 05:07 AM

Send a message via AIM to Saloon
Mein Auto: 87 3, 98 M, 01 3i, 01 3c
"iPod/iPhone Video movies/slideshows on your stock BMW NAV screen"

Is this still available for an 2005 X5?

Looking for a audio/video input source for my iPhone4...