Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series

6 Series
The BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 12-08-2005, 08:34 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '11 M3 Convertible
One more question from a neurotic guy about to order..

OK, last question ( I hope).

ACTIVE STEERING.....To get or not to get. I have it on my 545 (it came in the Sport Package), and I think I like it, but is it necessary? What are the pluses and minuses.

Thanks.
Ads by Google
Old 12-09-2005, 03:20 AM
Officially Welcomed to The 'Fest

Mein Auto:
I like it. I think it makes the car a little more nimble at slower speeds, in traffic and other tight situations. Ratio increases at speed to get back near a non-AS feel. I know some that like to track their car say go without AS as with it you get the varying ratio based on speed in a corner, but for pure street use I think it is a real asset. I just did the DE using my car in the 80 mile trip between Spartanburg and Ashville over some might twisty roads. 20 - 35 mile corners taken at near 20-25 mph over made for exciting driving and AS handled well. On the track they use non-AS equipped cars and they too were great. The more city driving u do the more AS is the answer for sure and as that lessens then it becomes more and more a toss up IMHO. But I will get it again if offered on the next car (M6 excluded of course ).
Old 12-09-2005, 09:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 650i convertible
My experience was a little different from Cobradaves. My first test drive was on a 645cic sport with active steering and I thought it a little too loose- like the connection between road/tires/steering wheel/hands I had felt on my previous 5 BMW's wasn't there. Now, this was my 1st experience with the car, I believe there was considerable traffic, it was dark, and I have to admit I was somewhat pre-occupied with not hitting anything/anybody rather than just paying attention to the car. Was also first time with idrive and that was distracting. The entire experience left me with a I'm glad I have my X- it's point and shoot easy and I never give it a second thought.

So why did I get from there to ordering one that is now on a boat just south of Newfoundland?- it's is an incredibly beautiful car and I missed having a soft-top. So I kept followingthe boards and hanging out at the dealer just looking. My second test drive was a few months later in a 650 sport that did not have active steering. The "feel" was back. But it was also on a sunny Saturday afternoon, no traffic and I was just more comfortable with the whole experience. Felt and handled like every other BMW I'd owned. Obviously it wasn't just about whether it had active steering or not, but somehow that 2nd test drive clinched it for me. Ordered it that week. Didn't order active steering, and am still a little nervous about idrive. One of the monthlies (I get 4) that just came out had a side bar on "bad tech" which included: tire monitoring systems, i drive, and starter pushbuttons. Gonna hope for the best on those fronts, and just enjoy the looks and the handling. Did I mention I'm going crazy waiting for the damn thing to get here?!?!?!

Old 12-09-2005, 08:22 PM
Officially Welcomed to The 'Fest!

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobradav
I like it. I think it makes the car a little more nimble at slower speeds, in traffic and other tight situations. Ratio increases at speed to get back near a non-AS feel. . . .I will get it again if offered on the next car (M6 excluded of course ).
Old 12-09-2005, 08:35 PM
///M for Motor Sports!

Mein Auto: No More 6 Series
Post As

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobradav
(M6 excluded of course ).
AS does not come as an option for M6. I think that is what you were saying right? Not that you would not get it just because...

GMAN

2008 Alpine White, Portland Brown ///M5 (SMG)
2008 Alpine White, Fox Red ///M3 (6MT)
2008 Sapphire Black, Black 750Li
Old 12-09-2005, 09:30 PM
Bo-ma-win!

Send a message via Yahoo to beewang
Mein Auto: S62 E39
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbelton
AS does not come as an option for M6. I think that is what you were saying right? Not that you would not get it just because...

GMAN
The new M doesn't have fog ligts either... I suppose that is a good thing??
Old 12-10-2005, 08:23 AM
///M for Motor Sports!

Red face No Fogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by beewang
The new M doesn't have fog ligts either... I suppose that is a good thing??
I suppose the M's require that opening to scoop more air... Who knows, maybe someone could tap into the German Intell.

Old 12-10-2005, 09:19 AM
Bo-ma-win!

Send a message via Yahoo to beewang
Mein Auto: S62 E39
Yeah.. I know... but do you see my point??

My point is that people tend to draw the conclusion due to the fact that "M" doesn't have an item (i.e. Active Steering, Fog Lights, or Sunroof) and that is because the item is not good . That is just completely misguided.

M cars are m cars... it is design for track purpose in mind, its a race car at heart. nothing more, nuthing less. Unfortunately, most people want an M car for an ego boost and the car never come anywhere close of what it is capable/and design for. Again, my point is, the Active steering is a fantastic design for most of us "regular folks" who won't benefit the driving style of a professional race car driver.

just my 2 cents worth, GET THE ACTIVE STEERING!!

cheers,

beewang
Old 12-10-2005, 09:33 AM
///M for Motor Sports!

Yeah Man...

Yeah I get it Bee, I just wanted to add some additional commentary so the person who is fighting his internal battle as to should I or Should I not get AS...

I have AS and love it and will get it in my next car too.
I have a 750Li 2006 and it does not have it. I can tell the difference. For me as stated above I love it!

Y U R correct, GET THE ACTIVE STEERING MANNNN!

GMAN

Old 12-10-2005, 03:10 PM
Officially Welcomed to The 'Fest

Mein Auto:
Yes, my meaning re the M6 comment is that it does not have AS available. And that in and of itself does not mean AS is not good. There are many reasons one might not put AS on the M6, some of them may be due to weight, the different suspension of the M versus normal 6er, or the fact that tracking (racing) is far more likely. And as correctly surmised by gbelton, it is the massive need for air for both the V10 and brakes that the space is used to drink in far more air than the normal 6er. The M is tailored for a different purpose and the BMW engineers have done what they needed to do. I agree with beewang, just because something is or is not on one car does not really mean a whole lot on the item itself.
Old 12-11-2005, 10:48 AM

Mein Auto: X6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Smith
My second test drive was a few months later in a 650 sport that did not have active steering. The "feel" was back. But it was also on a sunny Saturday afternoon, no traffic and I was just more comfortable with the whole experience. Felt and handled like every other BMW I'd owned.
This echoes my sentiment. I ordered a 650 Sport without A/S as well. Prior to ordering, I had testdriven 645s only, Sports w/ A/S and non-Sports w/out. While I probably would have eventually acclimated to the "feel" of A/S, I wanted the car to feel like all of the other BMWs that I've owned over the years. Each time I'd get behind the wheel of a 645 with A/S, it was just slightly unsettling to me, slightly disconnected.

Much as I have loved all of my BMWs, I am not one of those "enthusiasts" who is going to try to tell you that my reason for avoiding A/S is some need to "track" my car or because the "M6 doesn't have it and that's reason enough for me." Honestly, I couldn't care less about either of those things. I just wanted this BMW to feel like what I expect a BMW to feel like... and for whatever reason, a car equipped with A/S didn't do it for me.

It may for you.

Good luck to you, whatever you choose.

2014 BMW X6 ///M | SpaceGray/BlackPerforatedFullMerino/CarbonLeather
2014 BMW 328xi Touring M-Sport | GlacierSilver/BlackDakota/DarkBurlWalnut
2014 BMW X6 35i M-Perf | TitaniumSilver/BlackNappa/DarkBamboo [wife's ride]

BMW HISTORY | '13 650xiGC, '12 650xi, '11 535xi, '11 X6 50i, '09 750i, '09 328xiT, '08 650i, '07 750i, '07 X5 4.8i, '06 650i, '05 745i, '05 325xiT, '03 745i, '02 745i, '01 325Cic, '01 X5 4.4i, and on...
Old 12-11-2005, 10:52 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 645Ci
Mine came with it. I think it is OK.

However, I would not have ordered it if I was doing ED.

Active steering/cruise were low on my list of desires.
Old 12-11-2005, 12:23 PM
///M for Motor Sports!

Cool Hmmm

Some like to work (drive) hard (Non-AS)
Some like to work (drive) smarter (AS)

This is not a shot towards anyone who decideds either. IMO I have both and I prefer AS for my Coupe.

Take a read on BMW's site which describes why they chose to go with offering AS. The benefits etc... They (BMW) are smart people which is the reason why they offer both options. Different strokes for different folks...

Good luck with what ever you choose.

GMAN

Old 12-11-2005, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Some like to work (drive) hard (Non-AS)
Some like to work (drive) smarter (AS)

This is not a shot towards anyone who decideds either. IMO I have both and I prefer AS for my Coupe.

Take a read on BMW's site which describes why they chose to go with offering AS. The benefits etc... They (BMW) are smart people which is the reason why they offer both options. Different strokes for different folks...

Good luck with what ever you choose.

GMAN
Thanks for all the help everyone. I am ordering tomorrow, and I am still undecided, but leaning a little towards getting it.
Old 12-11-2005, 05:29 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 650i coupe
Before you buy -- try

Should be fairly easy to find a 645 sport and a 650i without AS to drve around for a short time. The difference is not subtle. While you may like both as I did, there was a clear preference for non-AS. Why not be sure before you take the plunge?

Good luck

AMV8, Jet black: April 2007 delivery.
Old 12-11-2005, 05:34 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgv
Should be fairly easy to find a 645 sport and a 650i without AS to drve around for a short time. The difference is not subtle. While you may like both as I did, there was a clear preference for non-AS. Why not be sure before you take the plunge?

Good luck
It's pricey, but if he gets it and doesn't like it, can he disable it? I think he's going to make his decision without driving, because he's in a hurry.
Old 12-11-2005, 05:48 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 650i coupe
Unfortunately, it cannot be disabled. Would not that be ideal though? I would like for parking.

AMV8, Jet black: April 2007 delivery.
Old 12-11-2005, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgv

Good luck
Good idea; I should be able to do a comparison in the next day or two. Thanks.
Old 12-11-2005, 06:17 PM
///M for Motor Sports!

Post Ok

Make sure they are both sport. One with AS and the other without, Apples-to-Apples.

Good Luck once again.

Old 12-11-2005, 06:42 PM

Mein Auto:
Sport model

Quote:
Make sure they are both sport. One with AS and the other without, Apples-to-Apples.

Good Luck once again.
Speaking about "Sport," every 6er I've seen here in LA appears to be a sport model (from the wheels). Other than AS before 2006, and the wheels and the seats, was/is there anything else a Sport model has over a non-Sport model?
Old 12-12-2005, 04:40 PM

Ordered today, WITH Active Steering.

This morning I drove two 650's, one with AS, one without. While I didn't have the most dynamic test drive, I definitely preferred having the AS.

Thanks for the help.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:46 PM
///M for Motor Sports!

Wink Congrats!

Good for you my friend. Now the hard part begins, the excruciating wait. Man, I do not wish that on anyone.

Tell us the details of your order color etc... (my apologies) if you told us already.

GMAN

Old 12-12-2005, 06:13 PM

Mein Auto:

Which dealer did you use? Were you told how long it will be? Please tell us what you got on the car. I think you will really like AS.

When the time gets close and your dealer tells you that your car is waiting for transport, come back here and we can help you track it. As GBelton writes, the wait is excruciating, so we are like a support group. And there are many of us here in L.A., including someone who works in my office who parks her 650i convertible within 10 feet of my car!

I got the first 650i in L.A.-Ventura County on October 19. I beat GeneArch by about 10 minutes. We need to have a meet. After your car gets here.
Old 12-12-2005, 07:30 PM

Mein Auto: 06 750Li, 06 M5, 05 645ci
Smile I vote yes

Some like it, some hate it. As for me, I like it specially in heavy city traffic and when changing lines in tight traffic in the interstate. Would I get it again? Yes, definitively.
Old 12-12-2005, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Good for you my friend. Now the hard part begins, the excruciating wait. Man, I do not wish that on anyone.

Tell us the details of your order color etc... (my apologies) if you told us already.

GMAN
OK...here are the details....

I am doing a European Delivery in late March. So actually I have to wait to get my car, then I have to wait for it to come back from Europe. (I did my first ED last year for my 545.). Purchased from John Burch at Bob Smith BMW in Calabassas; he is excellent.

I ordered the following: 650iC Titanium Silver/ Creme Beige/ Dark Birch Wood/ Black Top/ Sport Package/ Logic7/ Active Steering/ Cold Weather Package/ Sat Radio/ Steptronic.

Thanks to all here who gave me input and advice on Active Steering and HUD.