Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 12-12-2005, 09:09 PM
Officially Welcomed to The 'Fest!

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishskis
OK...here are the details....

I am doing a European Delivery in late March. So actually I have to wait to get my car, then I have to wait for it to come back from Europe. (I did my first ED last year for my 545.). Purchased from John Burch at Bob Smith BMW in Calabassas; he is excellent.

I ordered the following: 650iC Titanium Silver/ Creme Beige/ Dark Birch Wood/ Black Top/ Sport Package/ Logic7/ Active Steering/ Cold Weather Package/ Sat Radio/ Steptronic.

Thanks to all here who gave me input and advice on Active Steering and HUD.
You're going to have 2 waits - on for ED and then one for re-delivery.

Got mine at Bob Smith, too. Bob Jr went to UCLA with me. His son, Matt, now runs the dealership. Seems very well run in its new location. I bought a 633CSi and a Z4 from Bob Smith when it was in Cangoa Park. (See my sig below.)

I ordered my 650i before I learned that this Board was where all the experts were. If I had known, I would have gotten HUD, too, and probably wouldn't have gotten the cold package, which I really like.

Has anyone in the U.S. ever seen a 6er which is non-sport? I think they all are - or so it seems. Your color combination is going to be very beautiful.
Old 12-15-2005, 12:21 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 645Ci
I believe the 6 series comes with regular power steering, not rack and pinion.

If this is the same steering setup as my previous e39 540, you will definately need A/S.

Regular power steering? Not sure what BMW was thinking here, but it can use any help it can get.

A/S
Old 12-15-2005, 06:39 PM
Officially Welcomed to The 'Fest

Mein Auto:
Well in truth all E63/E64s in all model years have rack and pinion steering. It has been consistently recognized as superior for a drivers car wanting the sharpest turning and most road feel over the alternative, recirculating ball. R&P steering is the more expensive solution.

The varients in the E63/E64 are:
Base system is Servotronic power assistance with varies the "assistance" (not ratio) provided to help the driver at lower speeds.

The optional system is the Active System (AS) which adds an electronically controlled system to provide variable ratios as well as assistance.

To get the AS it does this by adding an electomechanical device in between the steering wheel and the steering mechanicals. So it is more complex as well. I have some very detailed write ups on the system, but will not bore you with those. You should also know that AS and DSC are interconnected so that the yaw and other sensors will actually feed some steering commands on your behalf in certain situations. One of those is cross winds. Those of you with AS may notice in gusty side winds some movement you may not have commanded but AS and DSC did. Some like this assistance and others don't. I have noticed it while driving in Hurricanes or going on/off or off/on one of the many bridges I cross during crosswinds. The car does its own corrections - kinda eerie - whose driving this thing I say to the 6er ME or YOU
Old 12-25-2005, 01:37 AM
Nothing witty here

Mein Auto: here
Mine has the active steering, active HID lights, Active body roll control (Damping?), DSC, DTC, SDT, 19" rims, blacked out trim, and all that comes with the sport package.

Malibu, the difference is the chrome trim. Other cars can have the 19" rims which is a popular option to just upgrade the rims/tires. A few dealers offered to do that and find me a car with 19" rims but not the Sport package because they say the Sport makes the car too stiff.

The Sport comes with blacked out trim around the windows. The regular 6s have chrome trim around the windows. I prefer the blacked out look myself.

BTW, where do I find the HUD thing?