Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW

General BMW
Use this forum to talk about general BMW news/stories and to chat with fellow enthusiasts about the direction that BMW is going in for their cars and/or motorcycles!

Old 12-13-2005, 11:51 AM
New Orleans Fire Dept.

Send a message via AIM to Fireman3
Mein Auto: 2003 BMW M3 Coupe
Xenon Headlights Intermittent Failure

I have been having an intermittent failure of my Xenon headlights as follows:

2003.5 M3/SMG

Started with one of the lights flickering (never both at the same time, but both headlights exihibted this behavior). It will then go "off" and then immediately restart (re-ignite with bright flash). I took the car to my dealer and they witnessed the failure and replaced the igniters.

Several months later it all started agin. This time the process would repeat itself multiple times until the lamp failed to re-ignite. The lamp failure warning light would appear on the dash. It would only restart when you turned the light switch off and then back on.

I have been back to the dealer twice and have heard the worst thing a dealer can say to an owner: "We were unable to duplicate the problem". They told me to bring in the car once the problem returned. Now common sense says that this will only happen at night - when the service department is closed, not to mention that my dealer is 80 miles away!

Anyone else have a similar problem? Have you found a solution?

Thanks in advance!

BD
Old 12-13-2005, 01:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 330i
I was having a problem in my '03 330i with Xenons where the right headlight would intermittently fail (and dash indicator lamp came on). If I turned off the car and then turned it back on the headlight usually would light up just fine.

The Dealer replaced the whole headlight assembly under warranty. They had to keep my car overnight because they didn't have the part in stock. I have no clue what they did to replicate the issue but end result was them replacing the whole thing.
Old 12-13-2005, 02:14 PM
IRIX Rocks!

Send a message via Yahoo to dlloyd1975
Mein Auto: 325iT Schlampenschlepper
Had the same problem. Dealer replaced the control module the ignitor and the bulb. It hasn't returned since.

IIRC, there's a TSB about this.

The Shaggin' Wagon
2003 Gray Green 325iT, PP, SP, CW, HK, Sand 'Ette
Old 12-14-2005, 03:03 PM
New Orleans Fire Dept.

Send a message via AIM to Fireman3
Mein Auto: 2003 BMW M3 Coupe
Thanks for your replies! I have seen the TSB>

I have an 04/03 build date and the TSB covers 03/04 to 02/05. The TSB is dated November 2005. Is there an earlier one?

Thanks,

Bob Darcey
Old 12-16-2005, 07:19 PM
In Driving Heaven

Mein Auto: 330i
I had an issue with my left light sometimes not coming on (and the matching light out dashboard indiciator coming on). Dealer replaced the ballast which seemed to work for awhile, but then the problem came back. This time they replaced the igniter. That seems to have done the trick. So far.

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

Mystic Blue 330i, SP, PP, Nav, Heated Seats, Step -- ED July 10, 2003
Old 01-09-2008, 04:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 330ci
Hi guys,

My problem started about 2 weeks ago. The headlights in my 2003 330ci were moving up and down, even though there was no car ahead of me, and the road was flat. As time went by, the problem became more frequent. Also, a couple of flickering happened.
Can anyone please give me any hint. Is it the LCM?

Cheers,
Alan
Old 07-16-2008, 06:45 PM
Esteban e46 Cabriolet

Mein Auto: bmw cabriolet e46
Hi Everybody Im new ! Urgent HELP

Hello i have the same probem how can i do to change the ignition firts ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre View Post
I had an issue with my left light sometimes not coming on (and the matching light out dashboard indiciator coming on). Dealer replaced the ballast which seemed to work for awhile, but then the problem came back. This time they replaced the igniter. That seems to have done the trick. So far.
Old 07-16-2008, 06:46 PM
Esteban e46 Cabriolet

Mein Auto: bmw cabriolet e46
Hello i have the same lights problem, how can i do to change the igniter ?
Old 01-07-2009, 08:43 PM

Mein Auto: 745Li
same problem

my 745Li does the same thing. xenon light on the left side flickers off then re-ignites. i just started noticing it today. i want to say it is because of these new LED angel eye halo lights that i just recently installed. but not sure why that would have anything to do with it? man. spending 90k on a bmw and all i have is nothing but problems. lights. heated seats. rear headrest that automatically goes up and down for no reason. seat massager broken. tpm sensors always going off. i hate this dam car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fireman3 View Post
I have been having an intermittent failure of my Xenon headlights as follows:

2003.5 M3/SMG

Started with one of the lights flickering (never both at the same time, but both headlights exihibted this behavior). It will then go "off" and then immediately restart (re-ignite with bright flash). I took the car to my dealer and they witnessed the failure and replaced the igniters.

Several months later it all started agin. This time the process would repeat itself multiple times until the lamp failed to re-ignite. The lamp failure warning light would appear on the dash. It would only restart when you turned the light switch off and then back on.

I have been back to the dealer twice and have heard the worst thing a dealer can say to an owner: "We were unable to duplicate the problem". They told me to bring in the car once the problem returned. Now common sense says that this will only happen at night - when the service department is closed, not to mention that my dealer is 80 miles away!

Anyone else have a similar problem? Have you found a solution?

Thanks in advance!

BD

Last edited by jdub4051; 01-07-2009 at 08:57 PM.
Old 11-02-2009, 12:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 BMW M3 Convertible
I have the same problem going on with my driver side light. The car is currently at the dealership, and they quoted $805 for this repair (igniter)! What did you all pay?
Old 11-02-2009, 02:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 Black Sapphire M6
So I had a similar problem with my e46 M3, my headlights would flicker very noticeably but at higher frequency and once or twice went out completely. Not quite exactly the same symptoms but close. For me the solution 6 months later was a faulty battery cell and a replacement battery. Basically what would happen is the power would dip a bit causing the lights to either flicker or go out, but then would come right back on.

Next time you're in to have them look at the lights might be worth asking about checking the battery.

2013 - Monte Carlo Blue M5
2011 - X5 35d
------Retired----------------------
2007 - Jet Black 335i
2003 - Silver Gray Metallic M3
2006 - Black Sapphire M6
Old 01-22-2010, 12:27 AM

Mein Auto: 745Li
Weird

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaKoren View Post
So I had a similar problem with my e46 M3, my headlights would flicker very noticeably but at higher frequency and once or twice went out completely. Not quite exactly the same symptoms but close. For me the solution 6 months later was a faulty battery cell and a replacement battery. Basically what would happen is the power would dip a bit causing the lights to either flicker or go out, but then would come right back on.

Next time you're in to have them look at the lights might be worth asking about checking the battery.
thx man! Wow. My battery was the issue. That is so strange. Weird how other people experience such unique issues. I doubt other people would ever have this same particular issue thank goodness for this forum.