Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion of BMW's 4th generation E65/E66 7 Series flagship. The E65 generated much controversy, due to its radical styling and iDrive user difficulties. Nonetheless, the E65 broke records to become the best-selling 7-series iteration ever, especially after its 2005 facelift.

Old 09-11-2015, 10:54 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E65 740i LCI
BT, USB and Aux in an E65 with Dension Gateway

My car is an early facelift E65 740i. I installed the Gateway 500S BT in my car yesterday and it works 100% as expected. All I had to code was +Ipod to get the interface working. BT calls and audio work perfectly as does usb and aux.

I coded out option $638 from the VO and added $633 which allows the phone book to sync as well as the BT phone's name to show on the iDrive. Only thing not working is voice command but I suspect I simply have to loop out the most cable from the old TCU. Bit to be honest the voice command becomes completely obsolete when you can use Siri pr Google to communicate with the phone.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442037259.448652.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	529359

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442037271.313846.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	529360

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442037284.732262.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	310.3 KB
ID:	529361

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by PAPER; 09-11-2015 at 11:50 PM.
Advertisement
Old 04-24-2016, 05:06 PM

Mein Auto: 750li
Still working good? I want to rip out my old GW 500 & replace it with this one. I'm a bit confused why Dension website shows it as incompatible with e65/e66.
Old 04-25-2016, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romey-Rome View Post
Still working good? I want to rip out my old GW 500 & replace it with this one. I'm a bit confused why Dension website shows it as incompatible with e65/e66.
Hey bud. Yes it is working 100% The reason it is not listed as compatible with the E65/66 is due to the phone integration only working 50/50. Bluetooth phone works, and you can take calls over BT, but the phone menu in iDrive does not allow you to start and end calls. Likewise for the button on the steering wheel. You can see you phone book and history though. Everything else works 100%. It will also only work on the face-lift 2006+ models.
Old 04-25-2016, 12:24 AM

Perfect. Thanks!
Old 04-25-2016, 01:43 AM

Couple of questions, if you don't mind.

Can you just disable the BT calling on the Dension & continues using the car's BT for calling? I mainly want it for BT streaming.

If using BT calling on the the Dension, and your car has it already, do you you still have to install the microphone, or can it use the built in ones?
Old 04-25-2016, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Couple of questions, if you don't mind.

Can you just disable the BT calling on the Dension & continues using the car's BT for calling? I mainly want it for BT streaming.

If using BT calling on the the Dension, and your car has it already, do you you still have to install the microphone, or can it use the built in ones?
Yes, you can. The GW has dip-switches you can use to set built-in or Dension BT-phone. This does not affect the BT Audio streaming afaik.
Old 04-28-2016, 09:38 PM

I'm not having much luck getting it going. I've tried running throught all the coding options. add +ipod, remove cdc ($672) in FA, and all the possible MMI combos between the two. Closest I can get to it working is turn on dip 2 (which works without any coding), which disables text, and you just get CD1-6/tracks. You can get it to work, but it's all guess work what menu you're in. Mine is an 02/06 production date, so don't think it should be that much of a hassle.

My old Gateway 500 sort of worked - it would only load the menus once in a while, but it wasn't a big deal as you just plug the cable in. I'll try updating the dension firmware next I guess. Mine is the O2 model, which has passthrough for the CDC, but don't think that matters. It's optional....
Old 04-28-2016, 10:11 PM

Send me the last 7 digits of your vin.

Old 04-28-2016, 10:14 PM

DT59115

Thanks!
Old 04-28-2016, 10:19 PM

Oh yeah. Got this at some point too. And "Playlist "with the spinner directly under cdc with +IPOD & no $672.
Old 04-28-2016, 10:25 PM

Thats your problem right there. The gatway does not play ball with dual idrive systems. Says so on the Dension site too:

Old 04-28-2016, 10:37 PM

Yeah. I kind of suspected that, but didn't give it much thought since GW500 worked for the most part with that disclaimer. I just never cared about missing the menus before, but I guess that would make sense.

Last edited by Romey-Rome; 04-28-2016 at 10:38 PM.
Old 04-29-2016, 07:17 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 740i
I've got this installed in my LCI and it works perfectly, I do have OEM Bluetooth in the car and they play very nicely together.
Old 04-29-2016, 05:47 PM

I got it working! Even in the back. Except instead of "Playlists", it's all under CD1, and I'm fine with that.

I also swapped the order of MMI & MMIF on the MOST bus as I mentioned on this thread

Here are my MMIF & MMIGT configs.

MMIF: http://pastebin.com/KHJiUD72
MMIGT: http://pastebin.com/L4qVg4BA

$672 +IPOD enbaled
Old 04-29-2016, 06:00 PM
CRISP & CLEAN

Mein Auto: Ford Pinto
Quote:
I got it working! Even in the back. Except instead of "Playlists", it's all under CD1, and I'm fine with that.

I also swapped the order of MMI & MMIF on the MOST bus as I mentioned on this thread

Here are my MMIF & MMIGT configs.

MMIF: http://pastebin.com/KHJiUD72
MMIGT: http://pastebin.com/L4qVg4BA

$672 +IPOD enbaled

Looks like You have Ipod list not active in both MMIF & MMIGT .
Look at line 211 & 212 in your MMIF
& look at line 324 & 325 in your MMIGT
Setting those to Aktiv should fix the text on the screen
for you & replace CD01

Last edited by PAPER; 04-29-2016 at 06:01 PM.
Old 04-29-2016, 06:03 PM

Yeah. That's where I started, but I would just get "Playlists" with a never-ending spinner.
Old 04-29-2016, 06:07 PM
CRISP & CLEAN

Quote:
Yeah. That's where I started, but I would just get "Playlists" with a never-ending spinner.

Hmm , Sorry I didn't know you had already tried after you changed the MOST ORDER .
The Dension units are buggy & tend to give different results .
I have pulled out more than I remember cause of issue's ,
that's the reason I stayed away from Dension & stuck
with the OEM Ipod unit .

Last edited by PAPER; 04-29-2016 at 06:09 PM.
Old 08-27-2016, 01:57 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 750i
Hi Paper,

I'm new to this forum and would like to revive this thread. I'm in the same situation. Please see the details below:

My vehicle is a 2006 FL 750i (E65). It is November 2005 manufactured. The MMI is a C04. Originally had a C02 MMI (2005) and later updated it to C04 MMI (2008). Both the MMIs have the same outcome.

I'm retrofitting the Dension 500S BT to the car. I wanted to retain the CDC, so I removed the MOST from the CDC and passed it through the Dension Gateway. I'm not sure if this is OK.

I tried adding the +IPOD VO to the CAS and LMA. Removed the $672 CDC option. Coded the MMIGT. Yet, I don't get to see the IPOD menu on the MMI. Even when I read the MMIGT Code (SG_CODIEREN), it does not have the IPOD options on the .TRC.

I'm using the NCS Expert with the Expert Profile and Revtor's profile. Are these the correct profiles?

What should be the option on the FA/VO for this to work other than the ones mentioned above?

The date code on the CAS is #0904 and on the LMA is #0905. Not able to change the date code on the LMA to #0904. I'm not sure why??

Right now, there is only "CD1*" with a clock spinning against it on the MMI. No text display. Only the AUX on Dension works; The USB, IPOD or BT do not work.

Am I missing something here? Spent quite some time and finally decided to post to the forum.

Any other pointers?

Thanks,
Old 08-27-2016, 05:59 PM

I've done this retrofit to my car and it works well. However, you do need to make a choice between your CDC or your Dension. The reason is that the dension is recognised as a CDC unit. Our cars are not equipped to recognise two CDC units in the MOST network.

If you want to retain a CDC unit you can retrofit a DVD changer which also acts as a CDC but then you also need to install fans etc if you don't have them yet.

The challenge in this thread was that the OP had a rear entertainment system which Dension clearly states is not compatible with the unit.
Old 08-27-2016, 07:05 PM

Depends on the exact model. GW52MO2 has MOST passthrough, so you can retain both and switch back & forth with the provided switch. That's how mine runs. There's also a model of the 500S BT that's a dead end on the bus, and has a single MOST port, and is cheaper.

Edit: I also have it working with rear entertainment as mentioned in my posts above.

Last edited by Romey-Rome; 08-27-2016 at 07:09 PM.
Old 08-27-2016, 09:02 PM
CRISP & CLEAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwe65n62 View Post
Hi Paper,

I'm new to this forum and would like to revive this thread. I'm in the same situation. Please see the details below:

My vehicle is a 2006 FL 750i (E65). It is November 2005 manufactured. The MMI is a C04. Originally had a C02 MMI (2005) and later updated it to C04 MMI (2008). Both the MMIs have the same outcome.

I'm retrofitting the Dension 500S BT to the car. I wanted to retain the CDC, so I removed the MOST from the CDC and passed it through the Dension Gateway. I'm not sure if this is OK.

I tried adding the +IPOD VO to the CAS and LMA. Removed the $672 CDC option. Coded the MMIGT. Yet, I don't get to see the IPOD menu on the MMI. Even when I read the MMIGT Code (SG_CODIEREN), it does not have the IPOD options on the .TRC.

I'm using the NCS Expert with the Expert Profile and Revtor's profile. Are these the correct profiles?

What should be the option on the FA/VO for this to work other than the ones mentioned above?

The date code on the CAS is #0904 and on the LMA is #0905. Not able to change the date code on the LMA to #0904. I'm not sure why??

Right now, there is only "CD1*" with a clock spinning against it on the MMI. No text display. Only the AUX on Dension works; The USB, IPOD or BT do not work.

Am I missing something here? Spent quite some time and finally decided to post to the forum.

Any other pointers?

Thanks,
Have you tried leaving the #672 in the VO Along with #ipod ???
Also DO NOT mess with the production date in the LMA
I repeat DO NOT change the production date in the LMA .
Have you tried what Romey-Rome solution was by
swapping the order of MMI & MMIF on the MOST bus ???
Old 08-28-2016, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Depends on the exact model. GW52MO2 has MOST passthrough, so you can retain both and switch back & forth with the provided switch. That's how mine runs. There's also a model of the 500S BT that's a dead end on the bus, and has a single MOST port, and is cheaper.

Edit: I also have it working with rear entertainment as mentioned in my posts above.

Hi Romey-Rome,

Thanks! The Dension I have is a 2-port MOST.

My vehicle does not have a Rear MMI. Only the front. It is listed as MMIGT on the INPA.

Thanks,
Old 08-28-2016, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAPER View Post
Have you tried leaving the #672 in the VO Along with #ipod ???
Also DO NOT mess with the production date in the LMA
I repeat DO NOT change the production date in the LMA .
Have you tried what Romey-Rome solution was by
swapping the order of MMI & MMIF on the MOST bus ???
Hi Paper,

Thanks for the information!

Yes, I've tried adding both $672 and +IPOD to the CAS/LMA VO/FA. Still not working.

Did you mean "$" instead of "#"?

OK. I will not change the LMA date code. But, I was never successful in changing it on the LMA. It always stuck to #0905.

But, is it OK to change the date code on the CAS?

My vehicle does not have a Rear Entertainment option. It only has the Front entertainment; it is listed as MMIGT on INPA and NCS Expert.

I have connected the CAR side of the MOST to the Dension left port (2-port MOST) and the CDC side to the CD Changer. Each port has 2 fibers; 1 IN and 1 OUT. This is as in the Dension's user manual. I even tried to remove the CDC side.

OR, should I just use one MOST port on the Dension and put the CDC and the Dension in MOST series? i.e., 1x fiber Car side to CDC > 1x fiber out from CDC to Dension Input > 1x fiber Out from Dension to Car input.

One thing I do not understand is: Why IPOD_ADD or any other option shown up on my .TRC from the MMIGT after I code it? Is it because of the NCS Expert version and my DATEN folder contents? My NCS Expert version is v3.1.0 (COAPI v3.5.1 B).

After changing the FA/VO, I empty the FSW_PSW.MAN and use ExpertMode to code the MMIGT. I understand that while using this method, the contents from the DATEN folder get programmed to the MMIGT. Is my understanding correct?

Thanks,
Old 08-28-2016, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by permituk View Post
I've done this retrofit to my car and it works well. However, you do need to make a choice between your CDC or your Dension. The reason is that the dension is recognised as a CDC unit. Our cars are not equipped to recognise two CDC units in the MOST network.

If you want to retain a CDC unit you can retrofit a DVD changer which also acts as a CDC but then you also need to install fans etc if you don't have them yet.

The challenge in this thread was that the OP had a rear entertainment system which Dension clearly states is not compatible with the unit.
Hi Permituk,

Thanks! What model of Dension do you use? Is it Gateway 500S BT?

Can you explain the MOST hook-up in your car and the FA/VO in your CAS? Did you get the IPOD options on your MMIGT .TRC file? What were the options?

What version of NCS Expert did you use?

Thanks,
Old 08-29-2016, 10:13 AM

Hi there, it is the 500S BT.

I didn't have to do anything to the VO or do any coding. It's plug and play.

It effectively mimics your CDC and all the options are under the CDC menu on your MMI.

You take power from the cd changer and plug in the CDC MOST plug in the Dension.

Please note though that this is only for facelift cars that can play MP3 discs.

I've had this for nearly 18 months now (or more) and it hasn't skipped a beat.

Last edited by permituk; 08-29-2016 at 10:15 AM.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Today's Posts Search