Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion of BMW's 4th generation E65/E66 7 Series flagship. The E65 generated much controversy, due to its radical styling and iDrive user difficulties. Nonetheless, the E65 broke records to become the best-selling 7-series iteration ever, especially after its 2005 facelift.

Old 05-08-2015, 02:26 PM

Mein Auto: BMW750LiA
E66 N62 Can I Remove Heads, without taking engine out

I have BMW 750LiA 2006 N62, Can I remove heads while not taking the engine outside the car?

Mechanic told me that if i want to take the heads out of the car to replace the gasket we needs to take the engine completely out of the car.

What is the proper engine temperature to my car .. its between 93 to 103 .. It it OK?

I have a white smoke, Mechanic told me you have to replace valve seals, How can I be sure that Head gaskets are healthy?

He planning to replace valve seals while heads on, so we will not able to check the head gaskets.
He said, if temperature is okay then gasket are fine.

any advise will be appreciated ..
Advertisement
Old 05-08-2015, 03:04 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 740i sport and Z4 3.0
Usual signs of a damaged head gasket are any or all of the following.

Excessive steam coming from the exhaust ( make sure it is steam and not oil smoke - oil tends to be blue/grey and smells).
Loss of coolant not due to visible leaks.
Lots of mayo type substance inside the oil filler cap or on the dipstick.
Oil a creamy colour.
Creamy sludge in the coolant reservoir.
Various OBD2 codes - particularly relating to the O2 sensors (lambda).

The above are all possible signs of an internal failure of the head gasket that can fail in any of the following ways.
Oil to coolant galleries.
Oil to cylinder.
Coolant to cylinder.

External signs would be oil or coolant leaks at the head to block seam line. These can be difficult to spot on BMW engines.

However what you have said and also according to your mechanic, your head gaskets are probably fine as long as it is Smoke and not Steam.

BTW. Heads can be removed with the engine in the car although many dealerships will remove the engine as they have all the correct gear and resources to do so.
Most Indys will leave the engine block in place.

Good luck

Last edited by ricky146a; 05-08-2015 at 03:07 PM. Reason: detail
Old 05-08-2015, 04:00 PM

Thanks ricky for your input.. and your precise points..
I will clarify more.. To help in diagnosis my problem..
The smoke is like a fog.. White and light .. Its appearing if car stopped for 3 to 5 minutes and press the gas pedal.. If moving after stopped it will appear for seconds then dissappear.
Also some time it doesnt come out evend if i stopped in long traffic..!! It smells like bad eggs.. Some time in the morning when warming the car and after 2 minutes and when rev... I found some drop of waters on the floor under the exhaust.

Today I've replaced the oil.. Color is normal
Coolants is clear without and drops of oil..

Do you think if i want to make the valve seals replacement exercise by myself... Is it diffecult to remove heads and replace heads gaskets in the same time??

Is there any documents to help in this task?? As a part of service manual.

I believe if i removed heads, replacing valve seals will be easier... But documentation is necessary in this scenario.

Last edited by mjksoft; 05-08-2015 at 04:03 PM.
Old 05-08-2015, 04:23 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 740i sport and Z4 3.0
Hi
You have the same symptoms as my car.
No, it does not sound like head gasket. Drops of water from your exhaust is normal - it is what the cats do.
Can you confirm that you are not using any coolant.

It is probably valve stem seals but COULD be your CCV or vacuum pipe leak.
There are many posts on here relating to failing CCV - just do a search or get back to me and I will find some for you.
The CCV's and related pipes/seals can be replaced by just removing the engine covers and will cost about $150?? Probably take you a couple of hours.

Replacing the valve stem seals with the heads off is easier BUT removing the heads is a major task and not for an inexperienced mechanic unless you have some serious technical backup - I would not recommend it.
Replacing the seals whilst the heads are on the car is possible for the amateur but some special tools are needed or you will need to make them. It is not easy and there are plenty of opportunities to screw up.
I do not know your competence so I cannot say whether you should attempt it.

I would suggest that you first look into the CCV scenario first and if it is not that then have the stem seals done.
Old 05-09-2015, 04:54 AM

Have checked CCV and they are OK, seems like new. But I don't know where is the vacuum pipes, Kindly if you have any diagram for vacuum line this will be helpful.
I believe its a valve seals and i planed to get it done next 2 weeks .
Thanks for sharing your knowledge
Regards;;