Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 08-26-2014, 03:35 PM
Bimmer Benz at 25

Mein Auto: Bmw 745li
Angry NEW KEY READ AS WRONG KEY 745li 03

Recently riding my motorcycle with all my belongings in a bag, only to find out the bad was empty when I stopped. Of course one of the items was my Bmw 745li 03 smart key. So I tool my title up to the dealership. And a key was made alone with the blade. But when I got home and hit the unlock button nothing happen. So I took the blade and opened the door. Thinking maybe the key needs to be charged. When I pop the key in it reads wrong key!!. So I call Bmw and of course think they never make mistakes so they want me to tow the car 41 miles. I did that and now BMW comes back to tell me I need an Cas Module for $1700.00 and that won't ganrauntee it will work!. Remind you guys there were no problems with the car before I lost the key the car ran perfect PLEASE HELP!!!
Advertisement
Old 08-26-2014, 07:02 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '95 840Ci, '05 745Li
I think you need one of the original 2 keys to be able to activate an additional key. CAS is locked out until you use a previous key to unlock it so it can be programed for the new key. I found reference to it here:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...ys-Not-Working
Old 08-26-2014, 10:47 PM

Mein Auto: 745li
What I learned from a bmw tech is that bmw on the CAS programs 10 key slots on the module and so there is only 10 keys for the car basically total threw bmw that's programmed for the car from day one of the life of the car.. lets say slot one is code 587 slot 2 is 466 which is the key u have for the car.. from the first time u use those keys they are rolling codes and change every time u use those keys in the car so no one after the first time has the codes for slot one and two anymore not even bmw.. Now u have slot 3-10 left lets say u loose your key u can go to bmw and the debate I even read on the forum is can bmw even make the key.. some people seem to think bmw dealership has to order the key from bmw.. wrong bmw knows slot 3 is whatever code they program like code 555 or whatever code the keys uses. but whatever key u lost must be deleted from the module for key 3 to work So more than likely u will need to tow it to bmw to get the key to work.
Old 08-28-2014, 06:16 PM
Bimmer Benz at 25

@dvanlare Thanks for the information it was very helpful but im still lost and dont know where I will take it to get the key eraaes

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 08-28-2014, 06:18 PM
Bimmer Benz at 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayautomotive View Post
What I learned from a bmw tech is that bmw on the CAS programs 10 key slots on the module and so there is only 10 keys for the car basically total threw bmw that's programmed for the car from day one of the life of the car.. lets say slot one is code 587 slot 2 is 466 which is the key u have for the car.. from the first time u use those keys they are rolling codes and change every time u use those keys in the car so no one after the first time has the codes for slot one and two anymore not even bmw.. Now u have slot 3-10 left lets say u loose your key u can go to bmw and the debate I even read on the forum is can bmw even make the key.. some people seem to think bmw dealership has to order the key from bmw.. wrong bmw knows slot 3 is whatever code they program like code 555 or whatever code the keys uses. but whatever key u lost must be deleted from the module for key 3 to work So more than likely u will need to tow it to bmw to get the key to work.
Thanks for the reply very helpful information but what should I tell the dealer because they fail to understand what I mean

Old 08-28-2014, 06:19 PM
Bimmer Benz at 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystikal View Post
I'm just curious, it appears as if that's all that's in here.
@dvanlare Thanks for the information it was very helpful but im still lost and dont know where I will take it to get the key erased

Old 08-28-2014, 08:55 PM

To be honest I think it is going to be difficult without an original key. BMW put a lot of security into the CAS to prevent someone from showing up with a blank key and being able to start the car. The normal way is to wake up the CAS with one of the original keys before you can program a new key. I doubt you will be able to get the dealer to program the new key without at least one of the original 2. So the dealer may be correct that you need a new CAS. Now if you do an internet search you will find info on people who have hacked into the CAS with special equipment to make it work but it definitely isn't an easy project.
Old 08-29-2014, 07:40 AM
Bimmer Benz at 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvanlare View Post
To be honest I think it is going to be difficult without an original key. BMW put a lot of security into the CAS to prevent someone from showing up with a blank key and being able to start the car. The normal way is to wake up the CAS with one of the original keys before you can program a new key. I doubt you will be able to get the dealer to program the new key without at least one of the original 2. So the dealer may be correct that you need a new CAS. Now if you do an internet search you will find info on people who have hacked into the CAS with special equipment to make it work but it definitely isn't an easy project.
What do you mean when you say wake the Cas up? and I brought key from Bmw will it be any good and I attached a picture what you think of the picture?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1409323160185.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	461351  
Old 08-29-2014, 08:32 PM

Mein Auto: 745li
I had my lock smith remake key for my bmw once.. mine has a salvage title and bmw doesn't want to make key for it if its salvage guess ruins they great name.. but overall He had to basically take out the cas jump a few wires and awaken it guess what they mean is getting it in programming mode.. Now whats required I can tell u isn't easy this guy had wire leads running from placed to place and he and to deleted key slots and reprogram them to the keys he was making and I can tell u wasn't a easy thing also I had to sign a disclaimer because overall getting it in awaken mode apparently could short it out and needs to be replaced and reprogrammed at dealership so he told me about the issues that could arise from it happening. Just go to bmw pay them to do your key they made it charged u the 300+ dollars make them work for the money. because buying the picture of the stuff u found on ebay still want solve your problems because still that will have to be flashed to the car some how I guarantee it.
Old 08-30-2014, 12:10 AM

Yes, the problem is the fact that you don't have any of the previously registered keys to register an additional one. When you bought the car you should have received the original 2 keys. From your info I gather you only had one key. Had you purchased an additional key while you still had your previous key it would have been trivial to register the additional key -- but now that you don't have any of the previously registered keys it is going to be difficult. Working with a used unit from eBay is a tricky process. IF you could find a used CAS with at least one of the original keys -- AND -- IF you could find someone with the proper equipment to code it to your car you MIGHT be able to get the additional key to register to the used CAS. It is a lot of IF's and MIGHT's and would definitely require you finding someone with the correct knowledge and equipment. Unfortunately the lesson here it to always maintain 2 registered keys in case you loose one.