Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008+)

E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008+)
The latest and greatest V8 powered M3!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-23-2005, 07:54 PM
user1 user1 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Cali
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 531
Mein Auto: many vehicles not at once
2007 M3 to get unique body design

From Left Lane News:
Unlike past generations of the iconic sports car, the 2007 BMW M3 coupe will receive an entirely unique body design, according to a report in Germany’s AutoBild magazine. In recent months, the magazine has stood by its computer rendering of the car (shown right - click to zoom), despite consistent indications that the new 3-Series coupe would feature a less radical design. It now appears that while the 3-Series coupe and convertible will not stray too far from their sedan and wagon counterparts, the M3 will take on a much more aggressive and upscale appearance. Traditionally, the M3 has simply used a lowered 3-Series body with added cladding and other minor visual upgrades. The new M3, expected as either a 2007 or 2008 model, will feature an new V8 engine derived directly from the company’s new V10 engine from the M5 and M6 performance cars. Output is expected as high as 425 horsepower. Meanwhile, Audi is said to be readying its own answer to the M3 — the RS5 coupe. The car will likely use the same engine as the RS4, with output boosted to around 450 horsepower. AutoBild has posted a new RS5 computer rendering, which is clearly a derivative of the forthcoming Nuvolari-inspired A5 coupe.



http://www.leftlanenews.com/2005/12/...body-rs5-news/
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 12-23-2005, 08:22 PM
mwette's Avatar
mwette mwette is offline
-
Location: Los Angeles area
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 645
Mein Auto: 03 330Ci 5M SP
I like what is shown.
__________________

03 330Ci 5M SP Topaz-Blue/Gray
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-25-2005, 04:44 PM
Malibubimmer Malibubimmer is offline
Officially Welcomed to The 'Fest!
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 6,975
Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by user1
From Left Lane News:
Unlike past generations of the iconic sports car, the 2007 BMW M3 coupe will receive an entirely unique body design, according to a report in Germany’s AutoBild magazine. . . .
Left Lane News needs someone conversant with the English language. Either the new M3 will have an entirely different body design, or a unique body design. One or the other. "Entirely unique" is entirely incorrect.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-25-2005, 04:50 PM
chuck92103's Avatar
chuck92103 chuck92103 is offline
Banned
Location: Socal
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 8,651
Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 645Ci
Body woon't stray too much from the 3 IMHO.

I am not sure the E90 4 door can be "M'd", the E46 4 door could not.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-26-2005, 04:31 AM
Pinecone's Avatar
Pinecone Pinecone is offline
M Mad
Location: Maryland
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 10,482
Mein Auto: M Roadster/M3
Well look at tradition.

E30 M shared something like 2 -3 body panels from non-M version.

E36 M3 used virtually all the same parts except for slight cosmetic things (rockers, mirrors).

E46 M3 uses doors, roof, trunk from non-M version, all other body parts are unique.

So it would be LIKELY that the E90 M3 uses mainly different body parts than the non-M coupes.
__________________
Terry Carraway

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Red/White SRF #4 (Chassis 561)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-26-2005, 06:31 AM
Moderato's Avatar
Moderato Moderato is offline
Praetorian
Location: New England
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 8,043
Mein Auto: 07 E92 335i 6MT
I'm not a fan of Audi, but that RS5 looks pretty good.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-27-2005, 12:37 PM
Mr. E's Avatar
Mr. E Mr. E is offline
Registered User
Location: Escondido, CA
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,399
Mein Auto: A 333 Horse Chariot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone
Well look at tradition.

E46 M3 uses doors, roof, trunk from non-M version, all other body parts are unique.
The body parts are different (especially fenders), but it's clearly an E46. I can't see BMW deviating radically from "a lowered 3-Series body with added cladding and other minor visual upgrades" as is being implied by this article. Just look at the M5 and M6. Neither of them is radically different in appearance than the base models, and if BMW were to stray too far, they may as well remove the "3" from "M3" because the name won't make sense any longer.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-28-2005, 01:26 PM
E60orBust's Avatar
E60orBust E60orBust is offline
Registered lunatic.
Location: P.G.M.D.
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 422
Mein Auto: M-Sport twins.
425HP isn't too far off from the 760i's V12......geez.
__________________
Team 1 'Brothers M'
Team 2 'Black & Blue'
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-29-2005, 03:15 AM
Pinecone's Avatar
Pinecone Pinecone is offline
M Mad
Location: Maryland
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 10,482
Mein Auto: M Roadster/M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. E
The body parts are different (especially fenders), but it's clearly an E46. I can't see BMW deviating radically from "a lowered 3-Series body with added cladding and other minor visual upgrades" as is being implied by this article. Just look at the M5 and M6. Neither of them is radically different in appearance than the base models, and if BMW were to stray too far, they may as well remove the "3" from "M3" because the name won't make sense any longer.
Actually having seen teh M5 in person at O'fest, I would say it does look a LOT different than the non-M 5er. The front end treatment and the rear spoiler really do change the looks, enough so that it doesn't lok quite as Bangled as the non-M.

And the E46 while almost totally different is different in a subtle way. The E30 M3 was much more in your face about the differences. But that was nice.
__________________
Terry Carraway

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Red/White SRF #4 (Chassis 561)
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-02-2006, 05:20 PM
Reedo302 Reedo302 is offline
Estorilblau ///Member
Location: Minnesota
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 105
Mein Auto: F30 328i M Sport EBII
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck92103
Body woon't stray too much from the 3 IMHO.

I am not sure the E90 4 door can be "M'd", the E46 4 door could not.
Supposedly, that's where the M4 comes in...if BMW GmbH ever decides to come out with it instead of just talking about it, that is.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-02-2006, 05:49 PM
Bruce's Avatar
Bruce Bruce is offline
///M forum moderator
Location: Lake Tyler, Texas
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 2,291
Mein Auto: 88 E30 M3.2, 08 451
There won't be an M4...that would be marketing suicide.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-02-2006, 05:52 PM
chuck92103's Avatar
chuck92103 chuck92103 is offline
Banned
Location: Socal
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 8,651
Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 645Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce
There won't be an M4...that would be marketing suicide.
They are already comitting suicide now. An M3 with a 425HP V8?

This car will out perform any M5 or M6, or Z8.

So why would folks by the M5/M6?. 100K is a lot of money for a car that won't out perform something costing $40K less.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-02-2006, 06:19 PM
SONET's Avatar
SONET SONET is offline
Parking Spot Maven
Location: HB, Calif.
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 2,831
Mein Auto: 2011 335i, 2013 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck92103
They are already comitting suicide now. An M3 with a 425HP V8?

This car will out perform any M5 or M6, or Z8.

So why would folks by the M5/M6?. 100K is a lot of money for a car that won't out perform something costing $40K less.
I agree, as much as I wish it wasn't the truth. Because the way I see it, they are marketed to different people. All IMHO, but the M6 is a land yacht of a coupe, and I'd bet that more big people buy the 6ers than any other BMW coupe. I think plenty of people who buy M3s could probably afford the M6, they just prefer the M3 (be it for size or whatever). The M5 is the perfect sedan, if not a bit large. I bought my M3 because I'm single and don't need four doors. If I had kids I would want the M5, and if I gained a couple hundred pounds or added 6 inches to my height I'd probably be in the market for an M6.

The marketing department at BMW is like the one at Porsche, so my guess is that either they will dumb the car down so that it's outpaced by its more expensive siblings, or they'll just generate their own weaker performance numbers like they did with the S54 M Coupe/Roadster. Hopefully it's the latter.

The M3 should be 'just right' in size for a coupe (but the E92 looks like it's going to be too big). I don't see why they keep making it bigger... the E46 was too big as it was, and now it looks as though it will be growing once again. It would be awesome if they were actually going to make the M3 entirely different, but I would imagine that would be far too expensive to justify.

--SONET
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-02-2006, 06:41 PM
chuck92103's Avatar
chuck92103 chuck92103 is offline
Banned
Location: Socal
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 8,651
Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 645Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by SONET
I agree, as much as I wish it wasn't the truth. Because the way I see it, they are marketed to different people. All IMHO, but the M6 is a land yacht of a coupe, and I'd bet that more big people buy the 6ers than any other BMW coupe. I think plenty of people who buy M3s could probably afford the M6, they just prefer the M3 (be it for size or whatever). The M5 is the perfect sedan, if not a bit large. I bought my M3 because I'm single and don't need four doors. If I had kids I would want the M5, and if I gained a couple hundred pounds or added 6 inches to my height I'd probably be in the market for an M6.

The marketing department at BMW is like the one at Porsche, so my guess is that either they will dumb the car down so that it's outpaced by its more expensive siblings, or they'll just generate their own weaker performance numbers like they did with the S54 M Coupe/Roadster. Hopefully it's the latter.

The M3 should be 'just right' in size for a coupe (but the E92 looks like it's going to be too big). I don't see why they keep making it bigger... the E46 was too big as it was, and now it looks as though it will be growing once again. It would be awesome if they were actually going to make the M3 entirely different, but I would imagine that would be far too expensive to justify.

--SONET
You think the E46 is too big? How much larger is the E92 suppose to be?

I think the E46 is a tad on the small side. It felt cramped when I had mine. The 645 is a little more roomy on the inside. I guess it depends how you drive. Short drives the E46 is fine, but long road trips, more room is in order.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-02-2006, 08:01 PM
Bruce's Avatar
Bruce Bruce is offline
///M forum moderator
Location: Lake Tyler, Texas
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 2,291
Mein Auto: 88 E30 M3.2, 08 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck92103
They are already comitting suicide now. An M3 with a 425HP V8?

This car will out perform any M5 or M6, or Z8.

So why would folks by the M5/M6?. 100K is a lot of money for a car that won't out perform something costing $40K less.

I never have bought that arguement.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-04-2006, 06:06 PM
Pinecone's Avatar
Pinecone Pinecone is offline
M Mad
Location: Maryland
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 10,482
Mein Auto: M Roadster/M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck92103
They are already comitting suicide now. An M3 with a 425HP V8?

This car will out perform any M5 or M6, or Z8.

So why would folks by the M5/M6?. 100K is a lot of money for a car that won't out perform something costing $40K less.
Because the M5/M6 are different cars for different markets. The M5 is the performance 4 door with comfortable room for 4 full sized people. The sort of fun car you can still use for business.

The M6 is a grand touring car. Good performance, designed for long high speed trips.

The M3 is the cut and thrust more sporty car, with compromizes on room for smaller size and better performance.

The M3 has typically outperformed the M5, but it didn't seem to hurt M5 sales.
__________________
Terry Carraway

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Red/White SRF #4 (Chassis 561)
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-04-2006, 06:20 PM
chuck92103's Avatar
chuck92103 chuck92103 is offline
Banned
Location: Socal
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 8,651
Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 645Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone
Because the M5/M6 are different cars for different markets. The M5 is the performance 4 door with comfortable room for 4 full sized people. The sort of fun car you can still use for business.

The M6 is a grand touring car. Good performance, designed for long high speed trips.

The M3 is the cut and thrust more sporty car, with compromizes on room for smaller size and better performance.

The M3 has typically outperformed the M5, but it didn't seem to hurt M5 sales.
I agree however I wonder what will happen now they up'd the anty with a V8.

I supposed the fact the 3 series interior, options, etc. wll be scaled down a bit.

I suppose I can look at it the other way. A loaded M3 is going to be close to 60k. Some M3 buyers will opt for the 6 and vice versa.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-04-2006, 06:51 PM
Moderato's Avatar
Moderato Moderato is offline
Praetorian
Location: New England
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 8,043
Mein Auto: 07 E92 335i 6MT
I just hope that the new M3 has more torque then the last one, doesn't weigh any more, and doesn't have to have the valves adjusted every so often.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-04-2006, 09:37 PM
Bruce's Avatar
Bruce Bruce is offline
///M forum moderator
Location: Lake Tyler, Texas
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 2,291
Mein Auto: 88 E30 M3.2, 08 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck92103
I suppose I can look at it the other way. A loaded M3 is going to be close to 60k. Some M3 buyers will opt for the 6 and vice versa.
The 6? The M6 or a regular 6? M3 buyers will not buy a regular 6. Assuming a loaded E90 M3 is $60k (I think that figure is low for a loaded M3) the price delta between an M3 and M6 will be $40k. You just aren't hitting the same market for these cars. Sure some potential M6 buyers can buy an M3, that really isn't going to work in reverse....the M3 will be all they can afford.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-05-2006, 03:48 AM
Pinecone's Avatar
Pinecone Pinecone is offline
M Mad
Location: Maryland
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 10,482
Mein Auto: M Roadster/M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moderato
I just hope that the new M3 has more torque then the last one, doesn't weigh any more, and doesn't have to have the valves adjusted every so often.
Why? It has enough torque to do sub 5 second 0 - 60, 13 flat quarter on street tires.

I will go with you on this one.

Welcome to high performance cars. You want low maintennace, get a standard 3 series or any of the Japanese clones. Real motors have solid lifters and have to have the vlaves adjusted. And every 30 - 60K is NOT often. Often is having them adjusted every 3-5K miles.
__________________
Terry Carraway

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Red/White SRF #4 (Chassis 561)
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 01-05-2006, 04:28 AM
___lk___'s Avatar
___lk___ ___lk___ is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: ??
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 2,082
Mein Auto: ??
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-05-2006, 06:27 AM
Moderato's Avatar
Moderato Moderato is offline
Praetorian
Location: New England
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 8,043
Mein Auto: 07 E92 335i 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone
Why? It has enough torque to do sub 5 second 0 - 60, 13 flat quarter on street tires.
There were many times when I had to turn and go up a hill from a slow roll in 2nd and the M3 felt underpowered. In that respect it didn't feel much different from my 330i, you really have to get the engine to 4K before it feels "fast." If the new M3 has more low end torque without sacrificing it's high reving nature, and without gaining any weight you won't have any complaints from me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone
Welcome to high performance cars. You want low maintennace, get a standard 3 series or any of the Japanese clones. Real motors have solid lifters and have to have the vlaves adjusted. And every 30 - 60K is NOT often. Often is having them adjusted every 3-5K miles.
Does the M5 need this service? If not then then the M3 probably won't need it either. I wouldn't say that having to get this done on an E46 M3 is a deal breaker but if they can design the E92 M3 so it doesn't need this, then why not? One less thing for me to worry about.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-05-2006, 01:05 PM
Pinecone's Avatar
Pinecone Pinecone is offline
M Mad
Location: Maryland
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 10,482
Mein Auto: M Roadster/M3
Have you looked at the S54 torque curve?

At 2000 RPM you have 244 pounds feet of torque. At 4000 RPM you have 265 pounds feet (less than 10% more). Peak torque is 4500 at 270. At 6000 you have 257. At 7000 you still have 236 (Hmm, less than you have at 2000). And at 8000 you have 218.

This is what is called a flat torque curve. And the reason the M3 doesn't feel as quick as it is, you don't get that rush as the torque builds as the revs climb, it just keeps on accelerating.

If you want a Honda, buy a Honda. BMW caved to the masses going to hydraulic lifters. They saw the light again and went back to solid ones for performance. And in a high performance engien with hydraulic lifter you can run into the dreaded hard running ticking, like E36 M3s after a hard autocross or track run. Imagine all the people bringing cars back thinking they were defective because of that.

Oh, you do NOT have an E90 M3 on order. At best you are on a waiting list to order one once allocations are available. On order says you have placed an order for a specific car (produciton number) with specific options.
__________________
Terry Carraway

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Red/White SRF #4 (Chassis 561)
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 01-07-2006, 04:27 AM
wwb4's Avatar
wwb4 wwb4 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Alexandria, VA
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 5,146
Mein Auto: It's constantly changing.
Here's some more E90 M3 pics you guys should like.
Also check out www.germancarfans.com for all the info. and pics on other upcoming BMWs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	m3.jpg
Views:	520
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	65260   Click image for larger version

Name:	m31.jpg
Views:	632
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	65261  
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 01-07-2006, 07:52 AM
chuck92103's Avatar
chuck92103 chuck92103 is offline
Banned
Location: Socal
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 8,651
Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 645Ci
What's the deal with fogs?

All new M's (3/5/6) lost their fog lights for air intakes.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008+)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bimmerfest Caravan Route, in case anyone missed it MarcusSanDiego General BMW 19 05-02-2007 09:55 PM
Test Drove CTS-V JPinTO M Series 69 12-24-2005 08:46 AM
1995 BMW 318is Red/Tan Full M3 Body Kit Steveo707 Cars - Private Party 0 09-11-2005 12:07 PM
FS - 1997 M3 Sedan - Dinan Stage III Supercharger Emission Classifieds 2 09-30-2004 12:28 PM
I Test Drove An M3!! fso_BamBam 3 Series / 4 Series 20 05-29-2004 04:27 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms