Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series

6 Series
The BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 12-25-2005, 10:24 AM

Mein Auto: 650i
Question active steering debate

the debate goes on. after ordering the car with active steering I am having second thoughts. since I ordered the car as the dealer was closing on Christmas eve i am sure i can change my order on mon/tues morning. Is the SAFER bet to get the car without active steering or is active steering something am going to wish i had. i never got to test drive a 6er w/out a/s so i never got to determine if you lose the "feel" of the road. I guess the second part of the questions is does anybody who has active steering hate it... SOS
Ads by Google
Old 12-25-2005, 10:37 AM
Officially Welcomed to The 'Fest!

Mein Auto:
Relax and enjoy Christmas (and Hannukah). I have AS and love it. Great road feel at slow speeds and it gets better as you go faster, as steering tightens. It's not "linear," but so what? I got used to it in about 15 seconds, and like the feel a lot more than the linear steering in my CL55.

The purists, who think everyone's left foot shold be busy while driving an automobile, may sneer at AS, but that's because they're purists. I'm surprised they go along with fuel injection, sometimes. (No flame wars; this is Christmas.)

You made the right choice. Don't panic.
Old 12-25-2005, 10:44 AM
Grand Panjandrum

Mein Auto: 325 xit, Active E, 1200RT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibubimmer
Relax and enjoy Christmas (and Hannukah). I have AS and love it. Great road feel at slow speeds and it gets better as you go faster, as steering tightens. It's not "linear," but so what? I got used to it in about 15 seconds, and like the feel a lot more than the linear steering in my CL55.

The purists, who think everyone's left foot shold be busy while driving an automobile, may sneer at AS, but that's because they're purists. I'm surprised they go along with fuel injection, sometimes. (No flame wars; this is Christmas.)

Old 12-25-2005, 11:36 AM

Mein Auto: 650i
Quote:

thank you
Old 12-25-2005, 12:00 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 645Ci
Relax and enjoy the holiday. A/S is a nice feature for the car.

Remember even with out it, you still get power assisted rack and pinion. The car does not come with plain rack and pinion.

When you couple the power assist, with variable ratio steering, and then integrate with DSC, you end up with an ultra performing car on the twisties.

Old 12-25-2005, 12:09 PM
M Enthusiast

Mein Auto: 645Ci
AS is the best option on my car. I love it.

Old 12-25-2005, 01:25 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 645
how do you know if you have it?

is there a button?
Old 12-25-2005, 01:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by phunkfarm
is there a button?
04/05 6 series with the sport package have A/S.

For 06, it is an individual option.
Old 12-25-2005, 01:40 PM

Mein Auto:
Phunk - Is yours a Sport model? (Ellipsoid wheels, sport seats are giveaways.) If so, you probably have AS. In 2005 the 645Ci coupled AS with the Sport package. Because of purist complaints these options were decoupled in 2006. I am not sure but I suspect 2004 was like 2005. Someone more knowledgeable can tell us.

You should write to BMW NA and find out what your car came with. They can tell from your VIN.
Old 12-25-2005, 01:52 PM
Officially Welcomed to The 'Fest

Mein Auto:
Quote:
is there a button?
Two easiest ways to tell:

1) Open bonnet (hood) look to your left almost adjacent to radiator towards passenger firewall slightly – box with four hydraulic lines going off in direction of fender to other locations. Also says Active Steering and part number on a label on the box.
2) Get in car, turn on key to switch position #2. All the warning lights come on. In the upper row on left side should be a steering wheel symbol with an “!” next to it - similar to this: ^!
3) It is part of the USA Spec ’04 or ’05 Sports Package. If you have Sports Package you have AS, if you do not have Sports Package you do not have AS. In MY06 it is an option to either configuration.

Last edited by cobradav; 12-25-2005 at 01:59 PM.
Old 12-25-2005, 02:07 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobradav
Two easiest ways to tell:

1) Open bonnet . . .
2) Get in car, turn on key . . .
3) It is part of the USA Spec ’04 or ’05 Sports Package. . . .
Sorry, Cobradav. That was 3. We also have to figure out a way for owners to figure out which software version they have for the census now running. We have a bunch of incompletes over there. Do you think BMW NA will tell an owner who e-mails via Owner's Circle?
Old 12-25-2005, 02:15 PM
///M for Motor Sports!

Mein Auto: No More 6 Series
Talking My '06 BMW

'04 and '05 are equal in terms of Sport Package and AS included.

My '06 BMW now has this option, optioned... Get the double wording...

What ever floats your boat if you choose to have AS or not but for me I LOVE AS and I can't get enough.

Do you ride on race tracks? If not, get AS.

Happy Holidays and a Happy New Year!

GMAN

2008 Alpine White, Portland Brown ///M5 (SMG)
2008 Alpine White, Fox Red ///M3 (6MT)
2008 Sapphire Black, Black 750Li
Old 12-25-2005, 02:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Sorry, Cobradav. That was 3. We also have to figure out a way for owners to figure out which software version they have for the census now running. We have a bunch of incompletes over there. Do you think BMW NA will tell an owner who e-mails via Owner's Circle?
Nope. I think BMW will do anything to keep iDrive information under a tight lid. The last thing they want is for owners to start comparing versions and running to dealers for updates like the monthly Microsoft Windows updates. It would end up costing them a fortune.

As it is, no one really knows what version of iDrive they have. A dealer invoice for service means nothing since they manually enter what they did. Multiple dealers could update iDrive software to the exact same version, and each of the techs that did the work could enter updated iDrive version 19, or 19.2, or 19.02, or 19.20 on the invoice and they all could mean or refer to the same version.

We need to find a way via iDrive to access this information.
Old 12-25-2005, 02:38 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck92103
Nope. I think BMW will do anything to keep iDrive information under a tight lid. [1] The last thing they want is for owners to start comparing versions and running to dealers for updates like the monthly Microsoft Windows updates. It would end up costing them a fortune.

As it is, no one really knows what version of iDrive they have. A dealer invoice for service means nothing since they manually enter what they did. Multiple dealers could update iDrive software to the exact same version, and [2] each of the techs that did the work could enter updated iDrive version 19, or 19.2, or 19.02, or 19.20 on the invoice and they all could mean or refer to the same version.

[3] We need to find a way via iDrive to access this information.
[1] I hear what you're saying, but if an owner's 6er doesn't exhibit any symptoms, wouldn't the dealer be justified in charging the owner for the upgrade?

[2] I've been skeptical since I was told last week by my dealer that I was given version 19.2 after first having had 19.02 downloaded at the VPC. A while ago I even posted here criticizing someone (probably you, Chuck) for confusing 19.2 with 19.02. So, my software may just have been corrupted and I still have 19.02.

[3] Beewang told me that the best hackers are on the Lexus forum. They have apparently hacked their Nav systems to do unbelievable things. Too bad we can't get that expertise over here. Too bad that "secret code" to those menus was just a voyage to Disappointment Island. I don't even want to try it again for fear that trying to get those embedded, but meaningless, menus, might corrupt something in my unstable software. (I still have transient problems, like the iDrive not being able to hold the radio on AM or Sat. When I return to the car after its sleep, it decides to play FM frequencies. But not all the time, so I can't duplicate it for the dealer!)
Old 12-25-2005, 02:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
[1] I hear what you're saying, but if an owner's 6er doesn't exhibit any symptoms, wouldn't the dealer be justified in charging the owner for the upgrade?

Yeah, you basically have to lie and make something up.

[3] Beewang told me that the best hackers are on the Lexus forum. They have apparently hacked their Nav systems to do unbelievable things. Too bad we can't get that expertise over here. Too bad that "secret code" to those menus was just a voyage to Disappointment Island. I don't even want to try it again for fear that trying to get those embedded, but meaningless, menus, might corrupt something in my unstable software. (I still have transient problems, like the iDrive not being able to hold the radio on AM or Sat. When I return to the car after its sleep, it decides to play FM frequencies. But not all the time, so I can't duplicate it for the dealer!)
I would take the car back if it is not perfect and demand they fix it or get BMWNA involved. You should not have to put up with it. If it is not repaired, I would look at lemon options. My iDrive has worked flawlessly and yours should as well.
Old 12-25-2005, 02:51 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
I would take the car back if it is not perfect and demand they fix it or get BMWNA involved. You should not have to put up with it. If it is not repaired, I would look at lemon options. My iDrive has worked flawlessly and yours should as well.
Good point. Does your car have the "Points of Interest" option? I've forgotten. Also, I learned that with the most recent upgrade (or new download, or maybe re-download) I no longer have the "scan" function for AM and FM radio stations. :sigh:

The car does operate tolerably well, and my time is valuable (to me). Every time I go to the dealer it's 1 1/2 unbillable hours out of my life, or 1 1/2 hours of my time that could be better spent in recreation or with my daughter (which are worth a lot more than billable hours).

By the way, sorry to Coneey for hijacking his thread, but he knows by now that AS is what he wants.

In 9 minutes Part 3 of BMW: Birth of a Sports Car will be on my cable Speed channel.
Old 12-25-2005, 03:07 PM

Mein Auto: 645
Ahhhhhh

damn, this is the last time time i buy a car without a sticker!

This...if my window trim is black then you prolly have AS stuff is killing me
Old 12-25-2005, 03:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Good point. Does your car have the "Points of Interest" option? I've forgotten. Also, I learned that with the most recent upgrade (or new download, or maybe re-download) I no longer have the "scan" function for AM and FM radio stations. :sigh:

The car does operate tolerably well, and my time is valuable (to me). Every time I go to the dealer it's 1 1/2 unbillable hours out of my life, or 1 1/2 hours of my time that could be better spent in recreation or with my daughter (which are worth a lot more than billable hours).

By the way, sorry to Coneey for hijacking his thread, but he knows by now that AS is what he wants.

In 9 minutes Part 3 of BMW: Birth of a Sports Car will be on my cable Speed channel.
Yes I have point if interest option.
Old 12-25-2005, 03:43 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 645CI
Active Steering is a must!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-25-2005, 05:27 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
damn, this is the last time time i buy a car without a sticker!

This...if my window trim is black then you prolly have AS stuff is killing me
Phunky - I looked at the early pictures you posted. It sure does like as if you have the sports model. (The sports model has the blacked out window trim.) It's a US car, right? If so, you have AS.

Also, Cobradav's suggestion that you peek under the hood and look for the box to the left (as you face it) and slightly behind the radiator, is also good advice. It does say Active Steering on it, too, so it's hard to miss it. Just use a flashlight.

Or, have you already modded the trim AND everything under the hood???
Old 12-25-2005, 05:29 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 550i xDrive
I drove a 645 back to back with my 650. The active steering on my 650 is much improved over the 645. The active steering on the 650 blows away the worm and gear I had on my 2000 M5.
Old 12-25-2005, 05:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by richschneid
I drove a 645 back to back with my 650. The active steering on my 650 is much improved over the 645. The active steering on the 650 blows away the worm and gear I had on my 2000 M5.
The difference in A/S in 645 and 650 was corrected in a software update.
Old 12-25-2005, 05:34 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
The difference in A/S in 645 and 650 was corrected in a software update.
Sounds like the Phunk is going to need a software update big time. Not only doesn't he get the books from the prior owner, but I bet the prior owner didn't know you could get software updates. The seller was clueless - which is why the Phunk got such a good deal.

Phunky - do you have AS or not??
Old 12-25-2005, 05:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Sounds like the Phunk is going to need a software update big time. Not only doesn't he get the books from the prior owner, but I bet the prior owner didn't know you could get software updates. The seller was clueless - which is why the Phunk got such a good deal.

Phunky - do you have AS or not??
Did Phunk even get a 645? Might be a rebadged 630.

I'd check for 8 cylinders.
Old 12-25-2005, 11:11 PM
Officially Welcomed to The 'Fest

Mein Auto:
Continuing to hijack this thread….

Malibu - Yep I listed three things but only two were directions on how to tell if phunk had AS. The third numbered topic was in general to all who may not have known how AS tied in to Sports Package or not by model year and should not have been numbered at all. If the car is in hand it should take all of two minutes to figure out if he has AS or not. What’s the hold up on the report phunk?

Also on the topic of CIP numbering; yes dealers are lazy but so too has BMW changed their numbering convention within their own documentation. Starting with CIP v17.01 we see the first use of two digits to the right of the decimal point. So I believe the dealers are lulled into the same shorthand on the subsequent versions. Still nothing in TIS higher than 19.02.03. And even though there was a 19.02.00, neither of these two had any fixes for E63/E64 over the 19.01.00. CIP releases cover all models and they are tracked by separate TIS bulletin numbers for the different models (but E60/61 & E63/64 are grouped together). Further compounding the CIP ID problem is BMWs own release note TIS Bulletins. These often will shorten the CIP title such as using 19.0 and 19.1 when by the CIP TIS it is 19.00 and 19.01.

Any “pick up car” check list should now include the request for dealer to print out Vehicle Status report or similar report showing software version. Also, ask for vehicle History report (looks a lot like the sticker info) but in cases where sticker might be missing this is a good reference document. Shows option codes and titles amongst other things (however, not software version). If you ordered the car then you should also have a copy of your ordering guide/design report. This might include special request you might have made such as changing the trim specification in the Sport Package. This might not show up elsewhere as they tend to lump things under one code number on the sticker/history report.

Now back to phunk. There is a VIN number. Call your dealer and / or call BMWNA. Give them the VIN # and ask for all the option codes and standard configuration data for that VIN. Don’t rely on Black trim comes on Sport package as signifying what u have as depending on order /build date that may or may not be true. What kind of seats do you have? You do have the option 481 Sports seats with power lumbar support, right? Everybody knows these come with the Sports package