Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Do-It-Yourself H.Q.

Do-It-Yourself H.Q.
Share your DIY projects or ask questions about how to fix something on your own. Help fellow Bimmerfest members improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Old 12-28-2005, 10:35 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2002 330 xi
Sunroof Shade Clip DIY

Like many others, I've had problems with the sunroof shade on my 330. It was not sliding properly and was binding up when I operated the sunroof. There are four "clips" that attach the shade to the slider mechanism that are notoriously poorly designed. It doesn't take much to break them.

I put together a quick Sunroof Clip DIY (with pictures) describing how to replace these clips.

When I did this repair I found that none of my clips had actually broken. In my case, one of the clips on the right side, had popped out of the slot in the sliding member and it was causing the shade to bind up when the sunroof was opened/closed.

Now that I've had it apart, I'm certain that I'd be able to replace them if/when my clips break.

Enjoy.

2002 330xi, 5-spd, Orient Blue w/ Sand Leather, SP, PP, Xenons
Ads by Google
Old 12-29-2005, 09:53 AM

Mein Auto: 01 325i, 08 335i
Very nicely done, Chris!

ED - Mar 30, 2008 - e90 335i
A/W | Terra | Burl | ZSP | ZPP
Step | Paddles | Nav | CA | iPod
Old 01-07-2006, 07:00 AM
mybimmer.net

Send a message via AIM to srcstc
Mein Auto: 09 TiAg E92 335i M-Sport
Yes very nice. This turned out to be one of the easiest DIYs.

Rich
Old 01-31-2006, 06:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i, 01 325I
My shade wont slide back beyond two inches. My question is.....how do I loosen the 6 torx screws when I can't get to them? Anyone???????
Old 02-01-2006, 08:24 PM

Mein Auto: 06/2000 330i ZSP/ZPP
flip moon roof up and you should be able to slide shade back.
Old 02-04-2006, 09:53 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i, 01 325I
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkonblk330i
flip moon roof up and you should be able to slide shade back.
That is the problem, it wont go back more than 2 inches. It was like that when I bought it used. It goes back with the glass when it is opened, but comes back up with it when it is closed. I would like to fix it, but I don't want to brake anything in the process.
Old 08-05-2007, 07:00 PM

Mein Auto: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hutchman View Post
That is the problem, it wont go back more than 2 inches. It was like that when I bought it used. It goes back with the glass when it is opened, but comes back up with it when it is closed. I would like to fix it, but I don't want to brake anything in the process.
Sounds like someone did a DIY and whacked the sunroof shade back on the wrong side of the sunroof driver... I did this yesterday and it won't allow you to move it back but it goes back with the roof but not all the way into the roof.
Old 08-28-2007, 09:03 PM
Wedding Crasher

Send a message via ICQ to kattanapilot Send a message via AIM to kattanapilot Send a message via MSN to kattanapilot Send a message via Yahoo to kattanapilot
Mein Auto: 2001 325i
first thank you ChrisF, second I LOVE THIS Forum!!! I been reading for like 4 days now, my work productivity has gone down ever since I registered here. I just fixed my shade, I need 1 clip when ever I get one but I swapped one and put this back in the track. Does any one recommend any online sites to order this from?
Old 04-07-2008, 02:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 M3
The sun shade on my wife's 2003 325Xi just came loose. It doesn't seem to be sliding correctly in any tracks.

I was going to try to get the dealer to fix it under CPO but they are claiming that it is covered. (even though this is part of the mechanical sunroof system/movement.)

I haven't done anything with the car yet but based upon this writeup I will probably see if I can fix it before resorting to the stealer. (I was really hoping I didn't have to remove the headliner). If the clip broke off inside, what are the chances that this piece will remain in the roof of the car & can jam the sunroof mechanism?
Old 04-07-2008, 03:50 PM
USMC ProCivEng

Mein Auto: '03.5 M3 Coupe
Very nice DIY. But the glass does not have to be removed in order to remove the shade. All you have to do is just hold the shade closed as you fully open the roof. The shade will be then be exposed and you can lift it out.
Old 04-09-2008, 10:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 M3
Found another thread about sunroof that mentioned S.I. B54 05 06. Talked to the dealer again armed with this information and now they are going to cover it under CPO. Go figure.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho....php?p=3162413
Old 04-21-2008, 04:52 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 323ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnewhite View Post
Very nice DIY. But the glass does not have to be removed in order to remove the shade. All you have to do is just hold the shade closed as you fully open the roof. The shade will be then be exposed and you can lift it out.

How exactly did u achieve that? There is a tab that automatically pulls the sunshade back when you open the glass? Seems to me that holding it shut would break something?

My problem right now is the Driver; the metal that holds the plastic driver in place is bent. I just don't see how to bend it back in place...

Old 05-02-2008, 01:54 AM

Mein Auto: BMW
nice yob!
Old 05-02-2008, 11:17 AM
USMC ProCivEng

Mein Auto: '03.5 M3 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by BM-MAN View Post
How exactly did u achieve that? There is a tab that automatically pulls the sunshade back when you open the glass? Seems to me that holding it shut would break something?

My problem right now is the Driver; the metal that holds the plastic driver in place is bent. I just don't see how to bend it back in place...
Just like I said in the post.
Old 05-30-2008, 07:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 M roadster
what is the part number of the "driver"

I can't find the part number in the diagram.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisF View Post
Like many others, I've had problems with the sunroof shade on my 330. It was not sliding properly and was binding up when I operated the sunroof. There are four "clips" that attach the shade to the slider mechanism that are notoriously poorly designed. It doesn't take much to break them.

I put together a quick Sunroof Clip DIY (with pictures) describing how to replace these clips.

When I did this repair I found that none of my clips had actually broken. In my case, one of the clips on the right side, had popped out of the slot in the sliding member and it was causing the shade to bind up when the sunroof was opened/closed.

Now that I've had it apart, I'm certain that I'd be able to replace them if/when my clips break.

Enjoy.
Old 11-08-2009, 05:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavenda View Post
I can't find the part number in the diagram.
Were you able find this part number of the "driver"? i can't seem to find this driver in the realoem.com catalog.
Old 11-09-2009, 06:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvd626 View Post
Were you able find this part number of the "driver"? i can't seem to find this driver in the realoem.com catalog.
I've been looking for the slide stop (part behind what you circled).. I guess our best luck is to go to a junk yard. Its not listed on realoem.
Old 10-20-2010, 12:20 PM

Mein Auto: 330 sport
Hi All,

I hvae recently run into the issue where my sun roof will not open in slide mode fully.
It appears as per the forum that something on the lid/cover has broken and prevents the roof from fully opening.

I woud like to use johnewhites plan to open the roof while holding the cover lid closed, however I am not able to close the lid/cover as it gets stuck halfway.

Does that leave me no other option that to remove the roof by lifting it out after removing the 6 torx screws?

thanks
darian
Old 10-20-2010, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darianva View Post
Hi All,

I hvae recently run into the issue where my sun roof will not open in slide mode fully.
It appears as per the forum that something on the lid/cover has broken and prevents the roof from fully opening.

I woud like to use johnewhites plan to open the roof while holding the cover lid closed, however I am not able to close the lid/cover as it gets stuck halfway.

Does that leave me no other option that to remove the roof by lifting it out after removing the 6 torx screws?

thanks
darian
I ran into the same issue. You have to keep giggle the lid back and forth until it comes loose.

Old 10-20-2010, 12:53 PM

aha, so the glass roof removal may not be required bsaed on what you say....
just wiggle the lid/cover loads and hope it comes loose?
how much wiggling/force did you execise? (I tried a fair amount before posting, but did not want to get too tough...)
Old 10-20-2010, 01:00 PM

Eventually you will have to remove the glass to replace the pieces that fall out as you giggle it cause some will. To loosen it up you could open and close the glass while moving the lid in the same direction. I never got around to replacing the broken clips since other members who did replace them only ended up having the same problem again. the roof is a major weakness in our e46s....

Old 10-20-2010, 01:03 PM

thanks bm-man.
as i have access to the 3 screws to remove the roof, I will save and prevent screwing anything up by taking the glass out to see whats blocking things...
Old 11-07-2010, 05:28 AM

I finally got round to taking my roof out yesterday afternoon.
Once the roof was out it was easy to spot the issue.
It appears somehow that the driver got ahead of the front clip. I removed the front clip by taking out the 2 screws to allow me to move the shade and front clip behind the driver.
Put everything back together and voila!
The plastic on the driver was a little pushed up, but I managed to clip it back into position.

Thanks all for your good support and posts.

Took me no more than 45 mins to remove the roof, fix the issue and re-assemble the bits on my own.
Old 09-01-2011, 01:10 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 325i BMW
Thanks guys for the posts, I have the same issue and will attempt to DIM since I'm now armed with valuable knowledge and have a starting point and a direction to follow. If anyone has the part numbers to this kit, that would help. I have a 2002 325i BMW.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 BMW 328i Sports Pack
Even easier DIY

Another way of doing this that is much easier iswithout removing the glass. The shade slider has 2 very flexible rubber pieces at the front of it which is used to push it back when the actual glass moves if you just slowy open it and pass these two rubber pieces under it you can open the glass fully and work only with the shade slider. There are 2 perks i noticed when i did this:
1. you dont have to worry about placing the glass back on correctly and no need to recalibrate it in some cases
2. you can remove the entire slider and still close close your sunroof normally, so like for me, i could still drive around with no worries while i waited for the parts to come in!

Pt #'s
54-13-8-246-027 (left 2 needed)
54-13-8-246-025 (right 2 needed)