Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series

6 Series
The BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 01-10-2006, 07:31 PM
Nothing witty here

Mein Auto: here
I don't know about those flying buttresses on the convertible top, the coupe does not have those.
Old 01-10-2006, 07:41 PM
Bo-ma-win!

Send a message via Yahoo to beewang
Mein Auto: S62 E39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevervana
...6) I want a damn friggen moonroof that opens.
7) I want a moonroof that opens.
8) I want a freaking moonroof that opens.....

Here you go brother.. This is what you need to open your MoonRoof

BMW OEM Parts # 9856-7899-8888

cheers

Last edited by beewang; 01-10-2006 at 07:44 PM.
Old 01-10-2006, 07:47 PM
Mathemagician

Mein Auto: 05 645Ci 04 745Li 07GL450
I meant side on on the lines. Engineering on the buttresses - yes I was speaking to that; and I love the looks (3/4 and rear) of those!
Old 01-10-2006, 08:41 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 645 Convertible
Quote:
True. Im from New York. I got the hell out of there when I graduated college.

When I went back to NY for a week, froze my ass off, skin tore and lips bleeding ... I came back to 60 degrees and sun and felt like I was in heaven, so I get that totally.

1) I hate wind.
2) My head isn't shaved. I have a hairstyle.
Did you test drive one? There's almost no wind with the roof down and the windows up.

Quote:
3) It costs significantly more and I still can't figure out why.
Probably the fun factor. Convertibles are so much more fun to drive, even at a stop light.

Quote:
4) Convertibles are for girls
Dude, performance cars use to be all roofless. Were they for girls only?

By the way, chicks dig convertibles. You may not be able to pick a new one up, nor get laid, but your existing girl friends will love taking a drive with you.

Quote:
5) I think convertibles look bad with the top up.
Agreed but only if you pick the wrong color combination. If you pick a roof with the same color as the rest of the body, it looks ugly. The best combination in my opinion is a colored body, with a neutral tone roof.

You guys are gonna laugh at me, the same way you laughted at Hartge and AC Schnitzer's two tone body M6, but I think two tone exteriors and interiors are gonna be an auto industry trend. You "old dogs" will come around, and a monotone coupe is gonna look dated and ugly.

Quote:
6) I want a damn friggen moonroof that opens.
7) I want a moonroof that opens.
8) I want a freaking moonroof that opens.
I'm really like the looks of the VW Eos. That car looks smart. It has a hardtop, a sunroof, and it's also a convertible.
Old 01-10-2006, 08:52 PM
(.)(.)

Mein Auto: 05 645Cic 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Dorsey
Dinner does not include a drive-thru. Although a well-planned picnic on a warm starry night with the top down might get you laid. The backseats in the 325ic are quite small. Bring a blanket (see "well-planned").

Just some advice from one of those convertible girls.

I took my last date to McDonald's. It was wednesday night, which is hamburger/cheeseburger night...they cost 35 cents. I bought her four, and i forked over another two bucks for a shake. Unappreciative chick didn't even let me touch her boobs.
Old 01-10-2006, 09:45 PM
Nothing witty here

Dinner in da 'hood where I work involves a lot of unpacking and unwrapping your food. Thankfully, the items are usually marked accurately on the outside so you can tell whose food belongs to whom.

If you super-size the meal and get some of the toys, maybe a Jack ball, you might get to brush your hand across her boobs by "accident".
Old 01-10-2006, 09:57 PM

Mein Auto: '11 M3 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxboss
This may be the case with other converts but not the 6er, IMO. The BMW engineers did a great job of imitating the coupe's lines with the rag top up. I get as many head turns with the top up as with the top down. If you think about the engineering involved to get all those angles and corners and bits to raise and lower automatically while still replicating the coupe's styling (and being watertight in the process) it really is amazing. This is as much a comment on the engineering as it is a comment on the convertible's ability to mimick the coupe's styling.
I totally agree. In fact, I love the lines and angles of the rear of the top, along with the rear glass, when viewing it from the back.

Often a convertible top does hurt the roofline; my old 911 cabs definitely lost the beautiful 911 roofline, but not the 6 - I like the vert lines more then the coupe.
Old 01-10-2006, 11:35 PM
digitalocean

Mein Auto: 2002 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by phunkfarm
the roofline is very sexy.

No one on this forum can tell me that a Ferrari coupe for instance doesnt look better than a cabrio.

A roofline of a well designed car is something thats overlooked by many.

As Bewang will tell you 7 out of every 10 6's are cabs and theres a special segment of folks out there, mostly performance enthusiansts that feel this car, if driven, should be a coupe for a myriad of reasons.

If your intention is leaving it stock and cruising, shopping etc, then it really doesnt matter does it.

My car is a manual....why on earth would I even consider a manual convertible.

My cars personality begs a coupe, it's a driver.
It looks like the poll on this site "how many 6's are out there?" will tell you that of this group, 10 have answered coupe and 12 cab humm, as for driver? Are you saying a cab owner isn't a driver. Look at the heritage of the race car and you'll see a cab,
2002 540 6 speed manual
Waiting March Delivery 650 CONVERT,SIRIUS,COLD,SPORT,NAV,SMGll
Old 01-11-2006, 05:42 AM
Officially Welcomed to The 'Fest!

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve645
I took my last date to McDonald's. It was wednesday night, which is hamburger/cheeseburger night...they cost 35 cents. I bought her four, and i forked over another two bucks for a shake. Unappreciative chick didn't even let me touch her boobs.
Cheap bastard. You should have bought her some fries, too.
Old 01-11-2006, 08:59 AM
weRe not in kansas anymoR

Mein Auto: 6er
Quote:
Biggest disappointment of the day for this soon to be 6 series owner.

Absolutely love the car in every way, shape, and form ... but ...

Sunroof doesn't open.

Unbelievable.

Any "mod" available for that?

I love having my sunroof actually open. Living here in San Diego where it was 81 degrees today.... in January ...

Very very very disappointed by this.
...to me this is one of the biggest suprises of how great an option the glass roof really is...obviously it could not open up as it is the entire driver/passanger cabin size, so where could it open into?...to me it is the best of both worlds, it gives you the feeling of space, but retains the classic coupe design...if you want to feel the elements, you need the cabrio, but if you want a GT performace and looks, anyone should be happy with what the 6er offers...the glass roof is great and I wouldnt change it, i love the feel it gives inside the car
Old 01-11-2006, 11:35 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 645CI
Quote:

I thought you didn't take chicks on dates. You should probably rephrase. I don't think you would want the board to know you are a closet gentleman.
Old 01-11-2006, 03:31 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by m630
...to me this is one of the biggest suprises of how great an option the glass roof really is...obviously it could not open up as it is the entire driver/passanger cabin size, so where could it open into?...to me it is the best of both worlds, it gives you the feeling of space, but retains the classic coupe design...if you want to feel the elements, you need the cabrio, but if you want a GT performace and looks, anyone should be happy with what the 6er offers...the glass roof is great and I wouldnt change it, i love the feel it gives inside the car
It would have been really elegant if a fully opening sunroof glass panel slid between two panes of glass comprising the back window. But that might have required the roofline to be different, and according to "Birth of a Sports Car," BMW already had a lot of trouble making the roof above the back seat high enough to clear passengers' heads.
Old 01-11-2006, 06:07 PM
Officially Welcomed to The 'Fest

Mein Auto:
Anybody look at the size of the moonroof in comparison to the metal in the coupes' top? Unless you want an accordian piece of glass not very likely to be a good engineering solution. I well knew what the car offered prior to ordering. I check out everything, all features, issues, tests, etc. Must have been at least 4 to 5 articles that mentioned NO SUNROOF. Big deal for a classic coupe. Guess what? M6 does not even have the moonroof. Cancel those orders, now
Old 01-11-2006, 08:31 PM

Mein Auto:
Getting Laid in SoCal

Quote:
I'm just messing with you man. My convertible hasn't gotten me laid and i don't think it will. I think that people assume that a nice car=getting laid. Not true..takes more than that.
Not much more, not down here in The OC...nice car, nice watch and hung like a small pony and your good to go.....

Cheers-
SD
Old 01-11-2006, 08:40 PM
Nothing witty here

The Porsche Targa 996 had it almost figured out but when the glass slid behind the rear windshield, it got a bit hazy and was hard to see through. After a while, you don't even miss opening a sunroof anyway. On my hardtop cars, I hardly used the sunroof feature and used the moonroof with the sunshade retracted 99% of the time.

I think the sunshine that comes in is ample enough and if you want wind, just turn up the vent knob to full. It puts out quite a bit of air. You can simulate the convertible by talking on your cell phone with the vent full blast.

As for getting laid, it's kinda funny about the extremes here in LA. Depending on the 'hood, if you have too nice of a car, girls don't want to talk to you because they figure you are A) spoiled, B) drug dealer, C) both. I get hit on more and girls approach me more when I drive my fixed up GM truck or SUV. In the BMW, I get looks but more from gangbanger guys who want to jack my shizznit.

Then again, in another 'hood, this six coupe barely rates me as acceptable while the valets are busy with their Bentleys and Ferrari spyders....
Old 01-11-2006, 08:43 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman800
The Porsche Targa 996 had it almost figured out but when the glass slid behind the rear windshield, it got a bit hazy and was hard to see through. After a while, you don't even miss opening a sunroof anyway. On my hardtop cars, I hardly used the sunroof feature and used the moonroof with the sunshade retracted 99% of the time.

I think the sunshine that comes in is ample enough and if you want wind, just turn up the vent knob to full. It puts out quite a bit of air. You can simulate the convertible by talking on your cell phone with the vent full blast.

As for getting laid, it's kinda funny about the extremes here in LA. Depending on the 'hood, if you have too nice of a car, girls don't want to talk to you because they figure you are A) spoiled, B) drug dealer, C) both. I get hit on more and girls approach me more when I drive my fixed up GM truck or SUV. In the BMW, I get looks but more from gangbanger guys who want to jack my shizznit.

Then again, in another 'hood, this six coupe barely rates me as acceptable while the valets are busy with their Bentleys and Ferrari spyders....
Translation into English, please! Also, Lawman, I suspect our neighborhoods are not close by, even though you spent time near mine when you went to "Peplaw."

Edit: Never mind. I just looked up Shizznit in the Urban Dictionary. (Funny, I don't have that one on my shelf in the library.) It appears to be both an adjective and a noun, and you used it as a noun. The adjective is synonymous with sick, phat and bad, but not crap. So you were referring to the possible theft of your "sick junk" or, of course, your 6er.

Last edited by Malibubimmer; 01-11-2006 at 08:49 PM.
Old 01-11-2006, 08:50 PM
Nothing witty here

Depends on when the 'hood is in play. My work 'hood is definitely da 'hood where some places have no curbs or streetlights and some families have no father, 1 mother (biological only), 3 kids with 3 different last names, grandma, house with a dirt lot, and an Escalade with 22" rims in front.

My home 'hood is a suburb outside of LA where there are more 3's and C's than Camry's and Accord's. I spent about 10 years near your area during my younger, idealistic years so I am familiar with the westside.

I can't afford to live in Malibu proper though. That zip code costs too much.
Old 01-11-2006, 10:16 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 645; 911TT; Maserati
Code:
People do not tan there, they rust. It is drizzly, overcast, rainy and good portion of the year. That was my point.
Actually, that's just a myth we started to keep any more southern Californians from moving to Portland. It hasn't worked....we've grown by 50% in the last 16 years, now up to 2 million people.

People who are a fraid of a little rain are weenies.

Portland gets less rain than Buffalo, NY and less snow than Dallas, TX.
BMW X6 M (Alpine White, with Sakhir Orange interior)
Maserati Coupe Cambiocorsa (Grigio Touring Silver, with Black/Light Gray interior)
Mercedes SL500 (Pewter, with Charcoal Gray interior)
Old 01-12-2006, 02:57 AM

Mein Auto:
"Portland gets less rain than Buffalo, NY and less snow than Dallas, TX. "

Keep telling yourself that, it will make you feel better!
Old 01-12-2006, 08:27 AM
Nothing witty here

I think car and driver magazine wrote that the 645 convertible was the best $82,000 camaro convertible they ever driven, or words to that effect. (just their opinion)
Old 01-12-2006, 11:38 AM

Mein Auto: 1990 325i convertible
Quote:
How rude! It's girls like that who give girls like me a bad name.
Old 01-12-2006, 12:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 650i
Please explain. Please?
Old 01-12-2006, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicks
Please explain. Please?
It was slightly sarcastic, in reply to the $.35 hamburgers. But, call me old school or southern, or both, but if a nice young man goes to the trouble to ask me out and buy me dinner then some kind of good night thanks is in order. Draw your own conclusions.
Old 01-12-2006, 12:37 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Dorsey
It was slightly sarcastic, in reply to the $.35 hamburgers. But, call me old school or southern, or both, but if a nice young man goes to the trouble to ask me out and buy me dinner then some kind of good night thanks is in order. Draw your own conclusions.
So, Kim . . . Are you single?
Old 01-12-2006, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibubimmer
So, Kim . . . Are you single?
I think we've hijacked this post from finding a sunroof to finding a date.