Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series

6 Series
The BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 01-15-2006, 06:56 AM
Mathemagician

Mein Auto: 05 645Ci 04 745Li 07GL450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibubimmer
Hydrogen is the answer.
I haven't heard enough about this idea to make a decision, but it's an interesting hypothesis. I ways taught, probably like most of us, that oil came from dinosaurs and plant material that died millions of years ago. Time, heat and pressure transformed their remains into oil.

Think about it, how many barrels of oil could you get from one brontosaurus - 5, 10? Say 10, but that's probably high considering their % body weight as water is like ours. Saudia Arabia alone pumps around 10 million barrels a day. That's 1 million BIG dinosaurs a day. The earth has proven reserves of about 2 trillion barrels. Add to that how much has been used over the past 100 years - how many freaking dinos were there?

The new theory goes that the earth produces oil abiotically - without animal/plant material. There has to be a source of carbon - maybe CO2 - who knows. Like I said, I haven't heard enough to make an intelligent decision, but the basic premise of too much oil, too few dinos sounds plausible. On the other hand, if this hypothesis is correct, why aren't the pumped out fields in Texas refilling?

Hydrogen is the most promising alternative, but that has serious problems, too. It must be produced via nonfossil energy (water, wind, solar, nuclear) and it's just so darned explosive.

Last edited by Boxboss; 01-15-2006 at 08:13 AM.
Old 01-15-2006, 10:38 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: M6, X6M, Boxster S
Quote:
But lousy drivers!

I guess they're toiling in the fields and factories that they don't have time to acquire decent driving skills!!??
Old 01-15-2006, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothCruise
Once the Chinese learn about lawsuits, that will change quickly.
It will spell the beginning of the end for them!!

I have a new twist on an old saying.....Attorneys are like a$$holes (should I stop there?) everyone needs one and they most often stink!!

With the exception of Malibubimmer of course !
Old 01-15-2006, 11:41 AM
Officially Welcomed to The 'Fest!

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTimeOff
It will spell the beginning of the end for them!!

I have a new twist on an old saying.....Attorneys are like a$$holes (should I stop there?) everyone needs one and they most often stink!!

With the exception of Malibubimmer of course !
(Sniff, sniff. What smells in here?)
Old 01-15-2006, 05:27 PM

Mein Auto: 645 Convertible
Quote:
Hydrogen is the answer.
No, it's not.
Old 01-15-2006, 05:37 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Hydrogen is the answer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoothCruise
No, it's not.
Sure it is. The question was - what combines with oxygen to form water? What you been drinkin' SmoothCruise?
Old 01-15-2006, 06:02 PM

Mein Auto:
Michigan

Steve-

Grew up in Troy and went to Eastern Michigan University. I have an Aunt and 3 cousins who live in Grosse Pointe North, one is an Eye Doc, not sure what the other two do.

Left for SoCal in Nov. 1981, with $400 and no job, everyone thought I was just going through this *phase*- never went back home (except annual holiday visits) and eventually convinced my entire surviving family to move out here...My pops is 82 and loves it, he is a big golfer and since he lives in Liesure World (Laguna Woods) he can play for almost nothing-he loves THAT.

I look back and I did not fit in Michigan, if I could've left earlier I would have. Do not miss it, but I am sure that growing up there was a good thing for my development in many ways...you know those *midwestern roots*...well when I think about it I am not that well grounded, but I am sure it did SOME good.

Hpw bout you?

Cheers-
SD
Old 01-15-2006, 07:06 PM
Nothing witty here

Mein Auto: here
Quote:
Sure it is. The question was - what combines with oxygen to form water? What you been drinkin' SmoothCruise?
It's specifically 2 Hydrogen atoms, not just plain hydrogen. Is that what you were looking for, Smooth?

Whatever it is you are drinking, I want some too.
Old 01-15-2006, 07:17 PM

Mein Auto: 645 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxboss

Hydrogen is the most promising alternative, but that has serious problems, too. It must be produced via nonfossil energy (water, wind, solar, nuclear) and it's just so darned explosive.

Which makes it one of the most overrated alternatives out there. Not to mention, we'd have to spend billions and billions of dollars just to convert every gas station, fuel trucks, etc to use hydrogen. It's irrational hype and environmental fashion that's driving the stock of hydrogen. It's wrong and it's irresponsible.
Old 01-15-2006, 07:22 PM
Nothing witty here

Hydrogen is explosive? Let's use Helium! Oh wait... that only works for dirigibles.
Old 01-15-2006, 08:46 PM
(.)(.)

Mein Auto: 05 645Cic 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylar's Dad
Steve-

Grew up in Troy and went to Eastern Michigan University. I have an Aunt and 3 cousins who live in Grosse Pointe North, one is an Eye Doc, not sure what the other two do.

Left for SoCal in Nov. 1981, with $400 and no job, everyone thought I was just going through this *phase*- never went back home (except annual holiday visits) and eventually convinced my entire surviving family to move out here...My pops is 82 and loves it, he is a big golfer and since he lives in Liesure World (Laguna Woods) he can play for almost nothing-he loves THAT.

I look back and I did not fit in Michigan, if I could've left earlier I would have. Do not miss it, but I am sure that growing up there was a good thing for my development in many ways...you know those *midwestern roots*...well when I think about it I am not that well grounded, but I am sure it did SOME good.

Hpw bout you?

Cheers-
SD

Nice SD, i know Troy well. I had an uncle who lived there. My story goes like this, born in Edinburgh Scotland, lived there until i was 4. Then moved to London England til I was 7and my mother finished medical school and father finished his PhD program. At 7 we moved to Michigan where my mother did her residency and father opened up his own architecture firm. I grew up there until I was 14, then we moved to Irvine CA. I know Leisure World well...as a highschool kid my friends and I joked about not driving in that area because of the senior citizens driving around. Don't get me wrong, i love seniors and have nothing but the utmost respect for them. After Irvine my family and I moved to Laguna Niguel. I went off to College and four years later i moved to west los angeles. Did the whole apartment rental thing until i was able to build up enough capital for a down payment on a place of my own. About two years ago i bought a condo on wilshire blvd. in a high rise building. I'm actually putting it on the market this week. Looking to buy a home in either the Hollywood Hills or Calabasas. I loved the white christmas's my family and i had as a kid in Michigan. But like yourself i'm a die hard southern californian...except for the fact that I'm a Trojan hater, instead being a UM Wolverine fan. So that's it in a nutshell. I noticed that you're from Newps. That's cool..my folks have a few houses in southern Orange County beach cities. Love that area...REALLY love Lido Island and Balboa

Last edited by Steve645; 01-15-2006 at 08:51 PM.
Old 01-15-2006, 09:47 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve645
Nice SD, i know Troy well. I had an uncle who lived there. My story goes like this, born in Edinburgh Scotland, lived there until i was 4. Then moved to London England til I was 7and my mother finished medical school and father finished his PhD program. At 7 we moved to Michigan where my mother did her residency and father opened up his own architecture firm. I grew up there until I was 14, then we moved to Irvine CA. I know Leisure World well...as a highschool kid my friends and I joked about not driving in that area because of the senior citizens driving around. Don't get me wrong, i love seniors and have nothing but the utmost respect for them. After Irvine my family and I moved to Laguna Niguel. I went off to College and four years later i moved to west los angeles. Did the whole apartment rental thing until i was able to build up enough capital for a down payment on a place of my own. About two years ago i bought a condo on wilshire blvd. in a high rise building. I'm actually putting it on the market this week. Looking to buy a home in either the Hollywood Hills or Calabasas. I loved the white christmas's my family and i had as a kid in Michigan. But like yourself i'm a die hard southern californian...except for the fact that I'm a Trojan hater, instead being a UM Wolverine fan. So that's it in a nutshell. I noticed that you're from Newps. That's cool..my folks have a few houses in southern Orange County beach cities. Love that area...REALLY love Lido Island and Balboa
Old 01-15-2006, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Now that's cold!!
Old 01-15-2006, 10:00 PM
(.)(.)

Quote:

I'm sorry Mal. My apologies that my paragraph about my up bringing, which SD asked about, isn't as amusing or entertaining as your thesis on ebay policies and procedure that you so kindly posted for us in another forum topic. Your discussion with Lawman about whether or not an M6 auction on ebay is legit had me on the edge of my seat. I couldn't sit still while reading it.
Old 01-15-2006, 10:09 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve645
I'm sorry Mal. My apologies that my paragraph about my up bringing, which SD asked about, isn't as amusing or entertaining as your thesis on ebay policies and procedure that you so kindly posted for us in another forum topic. Your discussion with Lawman about whether or not an M6 auction on ebay is legit had me on the edge of my seat. I couldn't sit still while reading it.
Apologies accepted. I try not to mention my father's Nobel Prizes in medicine and literature, or my mother's $2 billion endowment, and all the land they own in Santa Barbara County (Santa Ynez, of course) in my posts, which I try to keep on topic and edifying. I send PMs to the people whom I want to know how rich, smart, handsome, modest and cool I am.
Old 01-15-2006, 10:13 PM
(.)(.)

Quote:
Apologies accepted. I try not to mention my father's Nobel Prizes in medicine and literature, or my mother's $2 billion endowment, and all the land they own in Santa Barbara County (Santa Ynez, of course) in my posts, which I try to keep on topic and edifying. I send PMs to the people whom I want to know how rich, smart, handsome, modest and cool I am.

An endowment? That's great man..congrats. SD asked me about my upbringing and i answered. Sorry if it bored you.
Old 01-16-2006, 12:29 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: Jet Black 650i
Make Love, not War.

And no bragging. Nothing worse than someone who loves themself too much.

Now back on topic.

I want my sunroof to fully open like a moonroof.

Steve, sell your wilshire place and mod my car with the proceeds.

Were you at Bev Hills BMW when I was there? I saw some computer looking guy there, staring at me with a mean look on his face.

You live right by the place.

You better not be stalking me.
Old 01-16-2006, 01:23 AM
Nothing witty here

I generally try not to talk about my endowment in public either....
Old 01-16-2006, 07:50 AM

Mein Auto:
Roots in the Midwest

Great backgrounder Steve-

I bet you will do well with that condo! Great area for the latest *jack* in home
prices. I know alot of people taking their cash off the table here in
SoCal, I have a 18 month old little girl so we will ride it out, doesn't seem to
be the *bubble* as everyone has suggested, time will tell.

We visit Agoura Hills because my sister in law lives over there, Calabassas
is nicer though, we love it down here...

ps...Malibu has this *lawyer* complex where he needs to be the *judge* and
the *jury* for every thing that happens on the board...I know all about it,
I married an attorney, she and Malibu would get along great, not much would get
done, but they would get along

Cheers-
SD
Old 01-16-2006, 12:14 PM
Nothing witty here

Agoura is nice. My mom used to live there. Left their garage open all night once when they went out. Nothing happened. You do that in LA, your entire house would be stolen. You'll come home to an empty lot with some pipes sticking out the ground.
Old 01-16-2006, 01:03 PM

Mein Auto: 1990 325i convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman800
Give her your credit card # in the PM?
How rude! I can buy my own $300 shoes, thank you very much.
Old 01-16-2006, 01:05 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Dorsey
$300 for a pair of shoes? That's cheap from my experience! So, you sound like you're low maintenance.
Old 01-16-2006, 01:13 PM

Mein Auto: 1990 325i convertible
Quote:
$300 for a pair of shoes? That's cheap from my experience! So, you sound like you're low maintenance.
I've been accused of many things, but low maintenance was never on the list.
Old 01-16-2006, 01:21 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
I've been accused of many things, but low maintenance was never on the list.
Old 01-16-2006, 01:41 PM
Nothing witty here

Quote:
You must have gotten those on clearance!

In any event, having someone else spend the $300 means $300 more for you to spend on hats, right?