Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 01-13-2006, 06:03 AM

Mein Auto: 1990 BMW 525i
Unhappy Is it possible to put a Flywheel on backwards?

I have a 1990 525i that I did the install of a "newer" engine. The install went easy, in fact so easy that I pulled the old one on a Friday evening, and had the new one running Saturday Afternoon.

Anyway, I thought I was careful with putting the flywheel on. The brackets had marks left to where they were before. The engine started fine, but now makes pretty heavy clanging noises during the turn-over. It did not do that the first few starts after the swap.

I have shimmed the started out by 2 mm up to 12 mm. I replaced the starter with a rebuild and did the same thing. Exactly the sames noises from both. Now I had to put the original starter back on because the body shop ground the gears off the re-built because they sat there grinding even though it was started. If you listen, its no sweat to start.

What are my options? Pull the engine and turn it around? Pull the tranny and turn it around? Ouch.

Can someone describe what it should look like in relation to the engine?

Thanks
Ads by Google
Old 01-19-2006, 10:05 PM

Mein Auto: '95 530
RE: Is it possible to put a Flywheel on backwards

I wouldn't pull the engine. Either you got two bad starters or the block is not seated correctly. If the noise is only while turning over the engine, then it's the starter (or loose fly wheel) If you put the fly wheel on backwards you would know it! Question: Did you drop the "correct" engine back in?