Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Do-It-Yourself H.Q.

Do-It-Yourself H.Q.
Share your DIY projects or ask questions about how to fix something on your own. Help fellow Bimmerfest members improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Old 01-13-2006, 09:22 AM
AWD rocks

Mein Auto: '09 MB E350 AWD
Question Question about Problem Code P0128:"coolant temp below...

note: i originally had this in the e46 forum but decide this is a better forum so I deleted the other post.

hi,

my "service engine soon" light came on 2 weeks ago. i used my actron cp9145 and read the p-code. it's P0128 - "Coolant Thermostat (Coolant Temp Below Thermostat Regulating Temperature)". i looked in my bentley manual. i THINKi have a grasp on the prob and the error conditions that were met for the "service engine soon" light illuminate. additionally, i knew i had a prob before the light came on because the usually dorment temp gauge hovers around the 1/4 area. (see attached pic. i circled the area it moves around)

my 3 questions:
1. has anyone else had this prob and had it fixed. if so, what was the bmw service damage, i mean charge to fix it?

2. if i let this go for another month or two, will it harm the engine? my bmw service rep did tell me it's no rush to bring it in after i described the prob (i didn't even have the pcode on me at this time). it's not like the engine is running too hot. it's more like the opposite by running too cool (less than 68 degrees).

3. one last thing. by the engine running cooler than usual, does it improve gas consumption? this might be a dumb question but since the coolant thermostat began having problems, i'm getting better MPGs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	51.jpg
Views:	2694
Size:	7.8 KB
ID:	65798  

=========================
jaisonline
'09 MB E350 4Matic
Missing my '02 325xi w/ manual trans

one good site: www.realoem.com
Advertisement
Old 01-13-2006, 11:00 AM
DHP pwns ZHP :p

Mein Auto: DHP Heehee... :p
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaisonline
note: i originally had this in the e46 forum but decide this is a better forum so I deleted the other post.

hi,

my "service engine soon" light came on 2 weeks ago. i used my actron cp9145 and read the p-code. it's P0128 - "Coolant Thermostat (Coolant Temp Below Thermostat Regulating Temperature)". i looked in my bentley manual. i THINKi have a grasp on the prob and the error conditions that were met for the "service engine soon" light illuminate. additionally, i knew i had a prob before the light came on because the usually dorment temp gauge hovers around the 1/4 area. (see attached pic. i circled the area it moves around)

my 3 questions:
1. has anyone else had this prob and had it fixed. if so, what was the bmw service damage, i mean charge to fix it?

2. if i let this go for another month or two, will it harm the engine? my bmw service rep did tell me it's no rush to bring it in after i described the prob (i didn't even have the pcode on me at this time). it's not like the engine is running too hot. it's more like the opposite by running too cool (less than 68 degrees).

3. one last thing. by the engine running cooler than usual, does it improve gas consumption? this might be a dumb question but since the coolant thermostat began having problems, i'm getting better MPGs.
Sounds like your thermostat stuck open. I had mine fixed under warranty so no charge. I don't think it's that expensive/hard to do yourself however. Shouldn't damage the engine if you wait abit.. it just runs cooler and takes longer to get to full operating temp if that.

But it's bad for emissisons as you are always running rich I think so gas comsumption should be worse.

'03 330Ci DHP
'06 M3 SMG
"du hast mich gefragt, und ich hab nichts gesagt"
Old 01-13-2006, 07:29 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 325i
I concur...sounds like a stuck open thermostat. Sure beats one that is stuck shut!!
Old 01-14-2006, 06:58 AM
AWD rocks

yeah, it does sound like the thermostat is stuck open. think i'll be able go w/o getting it fixed until spring. the engine is running cooler now so it shouldnt be a pron until it gets warner outside.

i will tell u one thing, my mpg has increased over 20% since the thermostat broke. it's unreal. with the same type of driving and gas, i would get about 360 miles out of a full tank of gas. now, i'm at 410-420 miles per tank.

jaisonline
'09 MB E350 4Matic

Old 01-18-2006, 12:58 PM
AWD rocks

had this fixed yesterday. pretty easy fix by the dealer by just replacing the thermostat assembly (cheap part also) . it also required a coolant flush.

i was in good spirits about the fix until i saw the dealer bill. bmw of the mainline actually charged me $22 for one bottle of anti-freeze. i was so amazed and in a dumb daze that i didn't bother to complain. i just left the place.

i dont mindgetting robbed, just let me know first.

jaisonline
'09 MB E350 4Matic

Old 02-08-2006, 01:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 BMW 325 ci
I also just had this fixed yesterday. The part cost about $65 from the dealer and I fixed it my self. The radiator fan needed to come out but the system didnt need to be drained more then half way which is nice.
Old 02-09-2006, 05:08 PM
AWD rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbrown
I also just had this fixed yesterday. The part cost about $65 from the dealer and I fixed it my self. The radiator fan needed to come out but the system didnt need to be drained more then half way which is nice.
i'm very jealous. the fix cost me something like $300.

anyway, was it an easy fix? did u follow the bently manual?

jaisonline
'09 MB E350 4Matic

Old 03-01-2006, 11:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbrown
What did you do to reset the engine code, so that the 'service engine soon' light would shut off? I seem to have the same problem and am thinking about DIY, but I haven't been able to figure out how to get rid of the light once the thermostat is replaced. FWIW, I have a 2001 E46 coupe, and the light came on last Friday. The car has been running fine, though.
Old 03-01-2006, 07:00 PM
AWD rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbo
What did you do to reset the engine code, so that the 'service engine soon' light would shut off? I seem to have the same problem and am thinking about DIY, but I haven't been able to figure out how to get rid of the light once the thermostat is replaced. FWIW, I have a 2001 E46 coupe, and the light came on last Friday. The car has been running fine, though.
buy a fault code reader and delete the fault code in the car's computer.

jaisonline
'09 MB E350 4Matic

Old 09-10-2007, 07:20 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2005 325XI
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbrown View Post
bringing back the old thread here, i hope you read this...

how easy was the fix. i dont do maintenance on my car, cause im afraid to make it worse + dont know too much about fixing things on cars ( and dont want to experiement)

also anyone from around bellevue/seattle/ ish areas that could maybe able to help me out with this?? cause i really dont want to go to the dealer and pay 300 like jaisonline did ( sorry buddy)

i own an e39 525, but i dont think it should be much diff. than a 3-series right?

btw what does the bentley manual give good instructions to DIY????
Old 04-30-2009, 09:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 525i
Quote:
Originally Posted by armenian View Post
bringing back the old thread here, i hope you read this...

how easy was the fix. i dont do maintenance on my car, cause im afraid to make it worse + dont know too much about fixing things on cars ( and dont want to experiement)

also anyone from around bellevue/seattle/ ish areas that could maybe able to help me out with this?? cause i really dont want to go to the dealer and pay 300 like jaisonline did ( sorry buddy)

i own an e39 525, but i dont think it should be much diff. than a 3-series right?

btw what does the bentley manual give good instructions to DIY????
Hey armenian. Did you ever get this fixed? I have a 525 as well and say the engine light come yest. Today I got it checked and looks like its the same prob. Not sure what you got changed/done to fix it.

Thanks!

2003 525i | Sterling Gray Metallic
Old 05-09-2009, 09:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 525i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndncdntxn View Post
Hey armenian. Did you ever get this fixed? I have a 525 as well and say the engine light come yest. Today I got it checked and looks like its the same prob. Not sure what you got changed/done to fix it.

Thanks!

I just came in from scanning this code and clearing it, I have the same problem. I noticed it a few weeks ago when driving the car home from Fl and noticed it was running cool. I think that I'm just going to go ahead and do all of the cooling system maintenance now as the car is an 02 with 90k. Radiator, hoses, t-stat, t-stat housing, flush, and new belts are in order for next weekend. I've done this on my E36's and its very easy for you DIY'ers.
Old 07-05-2009, 05:51 PM

Send a message via ICQ to CZAMMAN
Mein Auto: 03 e39 530i
with any repair you have to be pretty confident that the repair fixed the problem. Once fixed it you go to a parts store (autozone, auto parts express..ect.) they can clear the code for you and it won't cost a dime, it's also a good way to shop so be a good sport and get a price from them regardless, they may surprise you. Good Luck
Old 12-29-2010, 08:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 X5 3.0i 2000 Boxster
I have the same problem....check engine light w/code P0128. The temp guage starting to jump around running on extreme HOT and then it goes back to below 12 o'clock.
Car is going to get fix this weekend, is it okay to drive i t until then?
I didn't notice i was getting better gas mileage...i thought it got worst.