Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 01-22-2006, 08:41 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: m3, 525it
Octane ratings for 1995 525ti

I am going on a 2000 mile road trip in Feb and was thinking I may be able to get by with a mix of the top grade and mid grade fuels to save a little on gas cost. Running 100% of the best now. I dont know what the ratings are here in Colorado but does anyone else do that. My BMW is in top shape so I want to keep it that way. Only has 86k on it and was owned by a meticulous Doctor. I only put about 6k per year on it but it cost me 10k so I thought I should let it see some road since the touring wagon was created for that. I am going to a window cleaning convention in Mesa Ariz. and could save alot in gas going in the 318ti but it would not be as sweet a ride.

Also: should my mileage go up alot from the 22 I get around town on the highway. I though I measured highway once for the 525ti and it was only a couple mpg better on highway, maybe because of its weight?
Ads by Google
Old 01-27-2006, 04:48 PM

Mein Auto: '90 535I 5 speed
As far as I'm aware, most, if not all, modern BMWs call for premium fuel in the owner's manual. While BMW did de-tune a lot of the models coming to the US so that they would run on regular, they will run better on premium. Most BMW engines run a fairly high compression ratio, so the higher octane will help to prevent knocking. I figure that If the company recommends premium, then that's what should be used.

You probably won't get the 26 mpg (give or take) that I usually see on my 535I (more weight with the touring, and smaller engine to drive it), but how much do you really think you'll save using regular between here and AZ? I'd be surprised if it saved you even $40 for the round trip. Treat these cars right, and they'll treat you right for a good, long time!

Bottom line, I'd put the premium in it for the trip, if that's what the owner's manual calls for.