Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-14-2006, 06:28 PM
lvanness lvanness is offline
Registered User
Location: Greenwich, CT
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 9
Mein Auto: 745i
Phone Help!!

I recently bought a 2004 745i. I love the car, but the phone is frustrating. I wanted to change it to BT, but the dealer told me it cost $1000. Instead of getting BT I decided to just get a V60 phone from motorola. At the dealer they told me that they no longer sold them, so I got a v60 phone from Tracfone prepaid. The fone works well and fits perfectly into the cradle in the center unit of the car, but on the idrive display it just says Reading Data, and nothing happens. Can anyone help me?
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 01-16-2006, 09:47 AM
BmW745On19's's Avatar
BmW745On19's BmW745On19's is offline
Go Gators
Location: Tampa, Florida
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 10,337
Send a message via AIM to BmW745On19's
Mein Auto: 745i
You have to buy a phone from the dealership, either the one you bought the car from or find another one that has any in stock, since only ones labeled, BMW, have the firmware to connect the iDrive, otherwise, your car is just a very large, and expensive, phone charger.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-16-2006, 07:36 PM
Boxboss's Avatar
Boxboss Boxboss is offline
Mathemagician
Location: Land of Magnolias and Mint Juleps
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,366
Mein Auto: 05 645Ci 04 745Li 07GL450
Quote:
Originally Posted by BmW745On19's
You have to buy a phone from the dealership, either the one you bought the car from or find another one that has any in stock, since only ones labeled, BMW, have the firmware to connect the iDrive, otherwise, your car is just a very large, and expensive, phone charger.
Same situation. My wife had a v60 and it wouldn't connect with the car. Bought the "BMW" labeled v60 from the dealer (service provider remained the same) and it works like a charm.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-17-2006, 12:21 PM
jkb's Avatar
jkb jkb is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Santa Clara, CA
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 707
Mein Auto: 2006 750i
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvanness
I recently bought a 2004 745i. I love the car, but the phone is frustrating. I wanted to change it to BT, but the dealer told me it cost $1000. Instead of getting BT I decided to just get a V60 phone from motorola. At the dealer they told me that they no longer sold them, so I got a v60 phone from Tracfone prepaid. The fone works well and fits perfectly into the cradle in the center unit of the car, but on the idrive display it just says Reading Data, and nothing happens. Can anyone help me?
i got a BMW phone that i used in my 2003 745Li that i can sell you for $100 if you want. getting one new from dealer costs around $500
__________________
2006 750i, European Delivery , De-badged , 20" style 32 BMW wheels , hardwired V1 , Nokia 6230 (fw 5.50) paired and cradled. Options/Pkgs: Sport pkg, Luxury Seating Pkg, Convinience Pkg, Premium Audio Pkg, Comfort Access, Power Rear Shades, Sat radio. European front plate

2003 996 C2 Cab 6spd. Power seats. Heated Seats. Xenon. Bose. SmartTOP. RemoteTOP. ROW-M030. V1. Evo V-Flow. GIAC ECU. Aspheric mirrors. Turbo Bumper. GT3 Console Delete. Tint. SSK. PSE mod. Suncoast headers.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-17-2006, 05:34 PM
gearh0 gearh0 is offline
Registered User
Location: vancouver
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 39
Mein Auto: 745 Li
anyone have the old style that will fit the 2002 745?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-17-2006, 06:51 PM
dierks321 dierks321 is offline
Registered User
Location: oregon
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 32
Mein Auto: 04 745LI, Toledo Blue
I had the same problem on my 04 745Li, which I bought used from a MB dealership. The local BMW dealership told me that I did not have the spacer card that rotated the phone ever so slightly toward the rear of the car. At the dealership I folded a business card and placed it between the phone and the front of the holder (toward the front of the car) and presto it worked and has worked since then.

Go know. I think BMW screwed up with their design of the phone holders and this was the fix that they came up with. It works.

Dierks321
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-17-2006, 08:14 PM
BmW745On19's's Avatar
BmW745On19's BmW745On19's is offline
Go Gators
Location: Tampa, Florida
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 10,337
Send a message via AIM to BmW745On19's
Mein Auto: 745i
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearh0
anyone have the old style that will fit the 2002 745?
I do but it's not for sale unfortunatly. Its a Motorola Startac, its was widely used as a standard phone for BMW and you might be able to find one on eBay if you search closely.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-18-2006, 09:34 AM
kd2789mo kd2789mo is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MO
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 433
Mein Auto: Radio Flyer Z38/5.7m
Quote:
Originally Posted by dierks321
I had the same problem on my 04 745Li, which I bought used from a MB dealership. The local BMW dealership told me that I did not have the spacer card that rotated the phone ever so slightly toward the rear of the car. At the dealership I folded a business card and placed it between the phone and the front of the holder (toward the front of the car) and presto it worked and has worked since then.

Go know. I think BMW screwed up with their design of the phone holders and this was the fix that they came up with. It works.

Dierks321
I have the OEM spacer. I don't need it for the phone I have. You're welcomed to it. Send me a PM if you'd like it.
__________________
Kd
----------------
04 745Li Silver/Grey, 19" Star, LOGIC7, CWP, Adaptive Cruise, LSP, CP, PDC, Shades, Xenon, Sirius
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-19-2006, 08:46 AM
bigmonyc bigmonyc is offline
Registered User
Location: Brooklyn, NY
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 12
Mein Auto: 2002 745i Black on Black
2002 745i

I have the phone available for the 02 745, i'd be willing to sell since i dont plan on switching my current phone with it.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-19-2006, 03:07 PM
lvanness lvanness is offline
Registered User
Location: Greenwich, CT
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 9
Mein Auto: 745i
What service provider would the phone work with?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-29-2006, 08:30 PM
bimmer7's Avatar
bimmer7 bimmer7 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Canada
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,080
Mein Auto: M3 Cab, 760Li, '08 LX570
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmonyc
I have the phone available for the 02 745, i'd be willing to sell since i dont plan on switching my current phone with it.
Is that the TimePort Motorola CPT8000?
__________________

2008 M3 Cab -- Alpine White, Blk Novillo
2005 760Li Individual -- Azurite Blk, Platinum Merino, ED
2002 745Li -- Sold
2000 750iL -- Sold
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-29-2006, 09:34 PM
BmW745On19's's Avatar
BmW745On19's BmW745On19's is offline
Go Gators
Location: Tampa, Florida
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 10,337
Send a message via AIM to BmW745On19's
Mein Auto: 745i
Our phone is activated through Sprint, now is Sprint/Nextel. If you have an 03+ you have a newer phone, I think already talkeda bout, and you don't need the phone for SOS service.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-29-2006, 10:42 PM
gearh0 gearh0 is offline
Registered User
Location: vancouver
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 39
Mein Auto: 745 Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmonyc
I have the phone available for the 02 745, i'd be willing to sell since i dont plan on switching my current phone with it.
i will buy off you
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-09-2006, 06:58 AM
boeharris boeharris is offline
Registered User
Location: virginia
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 2
Mein Auto: 2003 745LI
I have a 2003 745LI manufactured in Nov 02. I bought the car used a year ago and I have yet to find out what type of phone/service I can use with this car. Pls advice and if anyone has the BMW phone mentioned above tha works with my car pls let me know.

"BOE"
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sprint Samsung A920 Bluetooth phone doesn't work with my E90 ss4rob Car Navigation, Audio & Electronics 53 03-15-2007 03:59 PM
I have a Verizon bluetooth phone working with my BMW Dmitri Car Navigation, Audio & Electronics 2 02-10-2004 04:35 PM
Phone Problems... wmndriver Off-Topic 42 07-18-2003 04:01 PM
Installed Bluetooth phone ....finally!(long) 03BMW330 Car Navigation, Audio & Electronics 15 05-30-2003 11:26 AM
RE: 2001-540iA - CPT7000 Mitch540iA 5 Series 3 01-02-2003 02:25 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms