Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series

6 Series
The BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 01-15-2006, 07:33 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: Jet Black 650i
Opening my door

Why is it that after I have turned off the car, and removed the key ... when I pull on the door handle to open it, it does not open? I have to release it and pull it again, every time? Annoying...
Ads by Google
Old 01-15-2006, 07:38 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 530i
Related to door locks

I know if you have the doors locked you must do this. I believe the first time you pull the handle you are unlocking the door and the second time you open the door. We got used to this pretty quickly and now find ourselves trying to do it in our non-BMW car.
Old 01-15-2006, 07:38 PM
World Traveller Forever

Mein Auto: 1992 BMW 325ic M Technic
That my friend..

That is an "accdental opening of the door " prevention that new cars all seem to have.
Weird I know. You should be able to at least disable that crap if you don't have kids. Or if you are not suicidal or anything.
I always disliked that feature and yes, I detest it too.
325ic a beer
Old 01-15-2006, 07:39 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 645Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevervana
Why is it that after I have turned off the car, and removed the key ... when I pull on the door handle to open it, it does not open? I have to release it and pull it again, every time? Annoying...
It is a feature. You can push the button on the center of the dash when you park if you prefer.
Old 01-15-2006, 08:23 PM
Banned

Man. The door should just open.

Thats ridiculous. I assume the button on center of dash is basically unlocking the doors...

If so ... not an acceptable solution.

Door needs to just open.
Old 01-15-2006, 08:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Man. The door should just open.

Thats ridiculous. I assume the button on center of dash is basically unlocking the doors...

If so ... not an acceptable solution.

Door needs to just open.
If this is your first bimmer, you are in for a few more surprises. Be thankful you still have a dipstick.
Old 01-15-2006, 08:29 PM
Officially Welcomed to The 'Fest!

Mein Auto:
Your doors lock when you drive over a certain MPH. If you don't want to "double open" your door, go into your iDrive for vehicle settings and change the lock doors option so that the doors do not lock when the car moves off.

In other words, you can "single open" your door if you agree that the doors will not be locked after moving off. Your choice. I got used to it. You will too, unless you decide that you don't want your doors locked after you start driving.
Old 01-15-2006, 09:30 PM
///M for Motor Sports!

Mein Auto: No More 6 Series
It's a BMW Thing

Mr. New to BMW:

You are in for some fun. I call it the double click. This feature is programmable in the 7er by the dealer so perhaps you can ask them to make your 6er the one click like the other cars. Personally I like it; it distingishes BMW from the rest. (IMO)

If you have not done so already I would take an hour and read the manual. You will quickly get up to speed on your first Bimmer. Of course you are more than welcome to spend time on this forum and we will gladly help.

Have fun, don't be so serious and most of all... Enjoy the drive!

GMAN

2008 Alpine White, Portland Brown ///M5 (SMG)
2008 Alpine White, Fox Red ///M3 (6MT)
2008 Sapphire Black, Black 750Li
Old 01-15-2006, 09:55 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbelton
Mr. New to BMW:

You are in for some fun. I call it the double click. This feature is programmable in the 7er by the dealer so perhaps you can ask them to make your 6er the one click like the other cars. Personally I like it; it distingishes BMW from the rest. (IMO)

If you have not done so already I would take an hour and read the manual. You will quickly get up to speed on your first Bimmer. Of course you are more than welcome to spend time on this forum and we will gladly help.

Have fun, don't be so serious and most of all... Enjoy the drive!

GMAN
Gman, forgive me, but it sounds like you haven't read the manual, either. At least Nevervana has the excuse that he's only had the car for a day. While the 7er door locking feature is programmable by the dealer, in the 6er it's programmable by the driver. That's what I had just posted above you.

But, you are right. Nevervana has to get off this Board and do some driving. Like Phunky whom we rarely hear from these days. He's enjoying his car. And completely rebuilding it a la Alpina.
Old 01-15-2006, 10:42 PM

Send a message via AIM to BillKach
Mein Auto: 2011 M3 vert
I'm out of town and away from my car so I can't check but I think there's an I-drive option to unlock the doors too when you park, isn't there? I don't remember having to pull twice on my 6 but maybe I'm so used to it I just don't notice anymore. (my 4th bimmer)
2004 545i TiAg/Black/Anthracite, Step, SP (ED 11/03, sold 4/05)
2001 330Cic Steel Blue/Black, retired
1998 Z3 2.8 Montreal Blue/Black, retired
Old 01-15-2006, 11:03 PM

Mein Auto:
Nevervana - It's programmable from the iDrive. Try this little trick and you will see why the first pull on the door handle unlocks the door: Pull it once. Then push the door lock button in the middle of the dashboard. You will see that the door has been re-locked. Try the opposite - unlock the door from the button, and you will see you have only one pull on the handle. So, it's a safety device.

When BMW designed these cars it must have had a bunch of lawyers on the team. The "accept" screen that so annoyingly demands to have you push the iButton is only one manifestation of that. This is another. I got used to it because I wanted the doors to lock when I moved off.

Your choice.
Old 01-15-2006, 11:56 PM
Banned

Ill get to the manual eventually. After I have thoroughly asked every single possible question on these forums first

Thats a double flip off for you guys who like doing things twice...

Love,

Nevervana

Love,

Nevervana

PS... does that "distinguish me from the rest", or is it annoying?

is it annoying?

Last edited by Nevervana; 01-15-2006 at 11:58 PM.
Old 01-15-2006, 11:58 PM
(.)(.)

Mein Auto: 05 645Cic 6spd
I wouldn't suggest going into your I Drive and changing the door lock setting. It's a safety feature for passengers including yourself. I assume it also serves as an anti car jacking device.
Old 01-16-2006, 05:37 AM

Mein Auto: '06 650i Coupe
Lock

Quote:
You used to have an AUDI, right?
AUDI has the same feature in his cars. I had it in my A6. You get used to it after a while.
Unless you manually unlock it first and then oen the door.
Old 01-16-2006, 08:28 AM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Ill get to the manual eventually. After I have thoroughly asked every single possible question on these forums first
All right, lazy bones, I'll walk you through it. Go to Vehicle Settings on your iDrive screen. (Press the button to bring up the menu, then press the button again and don't go to any of the 4 compass positions. That will get you into the menu for "Vehicle Settings.")

Then go to Door Locks. Then Central Locking. That will bring up a number of choices including Lock After Driving. Move your iButton to hover over that selection and press to insert the check in the box or delete it (toggle, in other words). Yours should currently be on (checked).
Old 01-16-2006, 09:03 AM
Come Back Soon

Mein Auto: 645Ci or Carveboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve645
I wouldn't suggest going into your I Drive and changing the door lock setting. It's a safety feature for passengers including yourself. I assume it also serves as an anti car jacking device.
A couple of months ago, I think it was in September or October; someone got jacked in a 6 here in Vegas. Driver was a younger guy and refused to give up the car. They killed him as he tried to drive away. They had a picture in the local paper showing the car crashed in the parking lot. Love the car, but not that much. I guess as we get older, we realize that we are not indestructible.
2008 550i - Carbon Black - Black Nasca Leather - Ventilated Seats - Dark Poplar Trim - Anthracite - Sport Package - Cold Weather Package - Logic7 - Sirius - Navigation - iPod - Comfort Access - Steptronic - HUD - M5 Wheels - Arrived July 17, 2007

Previously 77' 320i; 81' 318i; 85' 535i; 95' 525i; and 04' 645CiC
Old 01-16-2006, 10:01 AM
///M for Motor Sports!

Mein Auto: No More 6 Series
Arrow Lost in Translation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibubimmer
Gman, forgive me, but it sounds like you haven't read the manual, either. That's what I had just posted above you.
Hey Malibu,

On the contrary I have read my 645, 650 and 750 manuals; can't say I remember everything though... You did mention previously that the 6er could be programmed to one click but I referred to (At least I was thinking I did) to the one click in relation to the 7er and possibly the 6er could benefit from a dealer programming this feature that exists in the 7er.

In the 7er with the doors locked it is a one click not two once programmed. What you described seems like the doors remain unlocked and of course you can open the door in one click. Repeat: I was referring to having the dealer program your 6er doors to one click instead of two. If this is possible for the 6er like the 7er once programmed. I believe the one click, two click got lost in translation somehow.

Anyway, no big deal. It's okay that you made your statement because I forgive you and you're still my friend. Besides, we are BOF by golly, we both bought 6ers and are having such fun driving and discussing them.

Till the next time we meet.

GMAN

2008 Alpine White, Portland Brown ///M5 (SMG)
2008 Alpine White, Fox Red ///M3 (6MT)
2008 Sapphire Black, Black 750Li

Last edited by gbelton; 01-16-2006 at 12:45 PM.
Old 01-16-2006, 12:41 PM
Anything is possible!

Mein Auto: 07 550i, 08 M5
I just love this board. One question and it turned into a war of words
Old 01-16-2006, 01:35 PM
Banned

Hogwash. My Audi locked at 10mph and it only took one pull to simultaneously unlock and open the driver side door.

Seems like common sense to me! Pulling twice is just plain wacky.

Unless, as someone pointed out, Bimmers are trying to help save the suicidal ???
Old 01-16-2006, 02:05 PM
Nothing witty here

Mein Auto: here
Driving in LA, I set all my cars to autolock as soon as I get in or as soon as the car moves an inch. YMMV. The double click unlocking is fine with me. It just means another split second for me to not walk out to the dangerous and cold, cruel world.
Old 01-16-2006, 02:53 PM

Mein Auto: '06 650i
1: There is no way to disable the double pull IF the car doors are locked. What Malibubimmer showed was how to keep the car from locking its doors automatically. Therefore if the doors are not locked, it only takes one pull.

2: As for the dipstick, the '06's don't have a dipstick. You monitor oil level via the idrive.
Old 01-16-2006, 03:01 PM
Nothing witty here

Also only takes 1 pull to open from the outside in that case too. Not an unusual occurrence in some parts of LA, or even the OC, Skydad.
Old 01-16-2006, 06:13 PM

Mein Auto:
Car Jacking in the OC

Lawman...carjacking? ...maybe, but never west of the 405 Freeway....
Old 01-16-2006, 06:36 PM
Nothing witty here

West of the 405? Like in Inglewoodhood? Or El Segundohood?
Old 01-16-2006, 06:43 PM
Banned

Rancho Cucomonga

Just kidding, I just like saying Rancho Cucomonga.