Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Classic Bimmers

Classic Bimmers
Discussions pertaining to vintage and classic BMW models here...

Old 02-07-2006, 05:41 PM

Mein Auto: '72 3.0CS
Question Getting a '72 3.0CS running again

My Dad has a 1972 3.0CS Auto that's been sitting for about 5 years now. Last time it was drivable it had some ignition(Basically hot-wiring it to start it) and tranny problems. The last time it was started some tranny fluid leaked onto the exhaust, but it did start. I hate seeing such a nice car rust away, last summer I toke care of most of the surface rust I found. I would like to try getting it running again, but I wasn't sure how safe it is with the bigger rust issues it has. Can you guys see anything potentially hazardous, I have pics more pics I can put up of any problem areas. If it going to stay together, I would like to try getting it running, the carbs and gas pedal are frozen and I was wondering how to fix that and what to do before I try and start it. Thanks alot

Pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ety/set...7594060995213/
Advertisement
Old 02-09-2006, 05:34 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: My 2 feet!
Hello Ety,

Well, that 3.0cs for sure needs a some TLC.
To answer your questions, I would not attempt starting this car: Tranny fluid on exhaust is one of the most common ways car do catch fire.

Now, as to bring this car back to life, there are a few things you need to know:
- the E9 chassis was built by Karman for BMW, and is built like a steel honeycomb structure. Which means water sits or condensates in the "cells" of the structure and creates rust. Looking at the pics, you can bet that the visible rust on the outside is the least of your concerns, the lower chassis/body is likely having a lot of hidden rust. Now, this is not impossible to fix, especialy if you can do some of the bodywork yourself, but is time consumming (very time consumming). If you decide to have it restored, it will be the biggest expense
- the engine is a fairly sturdy one, so you should not have many problems with it. Since the car has been sitting for 5 years, gaskets and seals will probably have to be changed, but otherwise, the internals should be fine.
- electrical / electronics: the electrical system is fairly simple, no major problem to expect here. Lucky you, the car is carburated, so no problems with the injection system and its electronics.
- transmission: will need to be rebuilt
- Interior: well, evidently a good upholstery job. But the interior looks in great shape (dash and plastics) which is great since these parts are impossible to find and pricey to duplicate or repair.