Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 01-23-2006, 07:02 PM
AKA- SEHRSCHNELL

Mein Auto: 2002 M5
ATTN: E39 540i Owners - Check these Hoses! (TECH)

The sun came out and the roads were finally clear! The wife and I decided to burn out some carbon build up in the DINAN 5 and take a little jaunt up to Park City, Utah where the Sundance Film Festival was taking place.

We took a cruise right up Main St. where the traffic was backed up as hundreds of camera's were rolling to the stars visiting the festival. We took a jaunt up Main St. then down Main Street and really couldn't see anyone.

Literally 100 feet after we clear Main St. I give the vessel a little bit of gas. Approaching a red light, I down shift and look in the rear view mirror. James Bond smoke screen? Not a chance! Blown coolant hose! :mad

After a $170 tow trip home, I remove my Dinan strut bar, the front engine cover and walla, take note to the demon culprit! 10 minutes later I find the problem! I must admit after being so cautious and replacing all the front radiator hoses, expansion tank, and radiator, I missed these bad boys! Upon further examination, it is obvious these swollen bastards need replacing.

So, as a 540i owner to another, learn from my experience and check these out to see if they are swollen and in need of replacing!

Can you imagine how embarressed I would have been if this hose would have blown RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF MAIN ST?

TECH:

You'll need to remove that fancy engine cover. Merely push down on the four buttons and remove cover. Look towards the firewall, in the back of the engine. You'll see the long hose (#1) and the short (#2) underneath it.

The larger end fits in the back side of the upper engine. The smaller end fits in a gizmo part on the right side of the right valve cover, the port all the way on the bottom. When I say right side, I mean if your standing in front of the engine.

As I was about to replace the larger number one hose, I spotted another fat swollen bastard (here on out named FSB), hose number 2. I figured replace this while I was there.

Today's Tech Article by Johnny was brought to by Beringer's Gewurtzitraminer.

Advertisement
Old 01-23-2006, 07:05 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 645Ci
Love the wine bottle on the engine.

Where are the Montecristos.

If the car is busted, might as well party.
Old 01-23-2006, 07:21 PM
just havin a heart attack

Send a message via AIM to bimmerd00d Send a message via MSN to bimmerd00d Send a message via Yahoo to bimmerd00d
Mein Auto: 1998 540i 6-speed
If i had known about bimmerfest when this happened, i would've made the identical post!!!! glad to hear im not alone
2000 528iA sport - Mom's ride, 308k!!!! and still drives like new
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins - 145k, 800lb/ft. John Coal Train.
2001 Volvo C70 Coupe T5 - The wife's car, 170k. Needs a timing belt soon
Old 01-23-2006, 07:53 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via Skype™ to mgianetto
Mein Auto: 2003 540 Sport
Glad you were awear of the problem before too long! My wife had a small rock gthrough her rad. on the highway (80mph) never saw anything-blinders Our Acura was only a few months old, a TL-S . She calls me and tell me the car dies when she slows down and it won't idle smooth I ask her if ay IDOIT lights were on and she says yes a funny question mark I say anything else???? No, Still
I get there and tow it to the shop and the block was 295 degrees
Well a month later and a new rad. theromstat and air hose which melted, the car runs prefect and no ill effects YET, 2 years later and 25000 miles.

All of that to say it could been much worst... Glad to see it wasn't

DABEARS

I have learned that you shouldn't compare yourself to others..
they are more screwed up than you think.

RIP: 2000 540 Sport
Old 01-23-2006, 07:55 PM
AKA- SEHRSCHNELL

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgianetto
Glad you were awear of the problem before too long! My wife had a small rock gthrough her rad. on the highway (80mph) never saw anything-blinders Our Acura was only a few months old, a TL-S . She calls me and tell me the car dies when she slows down and it won't idle smooth I ask her if ay IDOIT lights were on and she says yes a funny question mark I say anything else???? No, Still
I get there and tow it to the shop and the block was 295 degrees
Well a month later and a new rad. theromstat and air hose which melted, the car runs prefect and no ill effects YET, 2 years later and 25000 miles.

All of that to say it could been much worst... Glad to see it wasn't

Yes, owning a 540i makes you check your rear view mirrors often ( for red and blues). So it's a good thing I noticed!
Old 01-24-2006, 07:55 AM

Mein Auto: 08 335 Vert, 00 540
Good stuff man. I'll have a look at those guys. Any other hoses that typically have problems that I should be on the lookout for?
Old 01-27-2006, 09:42 PM
AKA- SEHRSCHNELL

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBull
Good stuff man. I'll have a look at those guys. Any other hoses that typically have problems that I should be on the lookout for?

Not that I am aware of at this point. I didn't know about these until this happened.
Old 01-27-2006, 10:13 PM

Mein Auto: 00-540i
Great post.
Need to signup AAA for a reason after owning 540 since this rad related issue can burst at any time.
Old 01-28-2006, 08:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 540i 6Spd
Yeah my hose blew up about 2 months ago and the tear looked identical to yours. I am thinking that I would just need to replace the whole cooling system once a year to avoid breakdowns since I have had 5 problems in the last 3 years.
Old 01-28-2006, 09:01 AM

Mein Auto: It's constantly changing.
Thanks for the great informative post.
Old 01-28-2006, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck92103
Love the wine bottle on the engine.

Where are the Montecristos.

If the car is busted, might as well party.
I like the wine too......nice touch. Cohibas wouldn't be bad either.....or maybe even some Davidoffs.
Old 01-28-2006, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnell5
The sun came out and the roads were finally clear! The wife and I decided to burn out some carbon build up in the DINAN 5 and take a little jaunt up to Park City, Utah where the Sundance Film Festival was taking place.

We took a cruise right up Main St. where the traffic was backed up as hundreds of camera's were rolling to the stars visiting the festival. We took a jaunt up Main St. then down Main Street and really couldn't see anyone.

Literally 100 feet after we clear Main St. I give the vessel a little bit of gas. Approaching a red light, I down shift and look in the rear view mirror. James Bond smoke screen? Not a chance! Blown coolant hose! :mad

After a $170 tow trip home, I remove my Dinan strut bar, the front engine cover and walla, take note to the demon culprit! 10 minutes later I find the problem! I must admit after being so cautious and replacing all the front radiator hoses, expansion tank, and radiator, I missed these bad boys! Upon further examination, it is obvious these swollen bastards need replacing.

So, as a 540i owner to another, learn from my experience and check these out to see if they are swollen and in need of replacing!

Can you imagine how embarressed I would have been if this hose would have blown RIGHT IN THE MIDDLE OF MAIN ST?

TECH:

You'll need to remove that fancy engine cover. Merely push down on the four buttons and remove cover. Look towards the firewall, in the back of the engine. You'll see the long hose (#1) and the short (#2) underneath it.

The larger end fits in the back side of the upper engine. The smaller end fits in a gizmo part on the right side of the right valve cover, the port all the way on the bottom. When I say right side, I mean if your standing in front of the engine.

As I was about to replace the larger number one hose, I spotted another fat swollen bastard (here on out named FSB), hose number 2. I figured replace this while I was there.

Today's Tech Article by Johnny was brought to by Beringer's Gewurtzitraminer.

Nice site by the way too.
Old 01-31-2006, 04:17 PM

Mein Auto: '99 540i/6
re

Are these hoses full of coolant? Does changing them require draining coolant?
Old 02-01-2006, 04:35 PM
AKA- SEHRSCHNELL

Thanks again guys. (and girls?)

Andy, yes, you should probably drain a large portion of the coolant out to change these "FSB" hoses.

Johnny