Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E60 M5 (2006 - 2010)

E60 M5 (2006 - 2010)

Old 01-24-2006, 06:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 BMW 330I
Interesting review...

Here is an interesting review on "The Truth About Cars" website that argues that the current M5 is too flashy and "bling" (I disagree here) and also arguing that it's too high strung to be enjoyed in daily driving.

Here's the last paragraph:
"In fact, the new BMW M5 only makes sense in two situations: driving like a lunatic around long sweeping bends and driving like a lunatic from 100mph to V-Max. In both cases, rapid progress demands that you stay in 500hp mode at the top end of low gears, guzzling gas like a dragstrip refugee. Sure it's exciting. But then what? In the old M5, you could have just as much fun doing other stuff. In this car, you can’t."

Full review here:

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/con...2442/index.php

Their capsule summary was:
"BMW's everday supercar isn't. (Check with us again when the six-speed manual arrives.)"

From what I've read, some of this seems to make sense. As someone who may down the road consider an M5, I'm curious what current owners think.

- Garris
Advertisement
Old 01-30-2006, 12:06 AM

Mein Auto: E46 USTCC, E30 M3 JS
This reviewer simply doesnt know how to drive.

He talks about around town ambling, but the nsays the motor stumbles if you floor it at low RPM...thats not exactly ambling now is it?

If you arent a moron like this guy, the M5 is a fantastic all around car. Sure the engine isnt super torquey at low RPM, but it still has enough torque to stay under 3500rpm and accelerate briskly. It is true that it gets horrible gas mileage...but what do you expect out of a car that gets 500hp?

In regards to the transmission it does take a little getting used to. I have an E46 M3 with SMG and have driven that for a couple of years and the new SMG is definately an improvment. People seem to expect the SMG to be like a manual...but its not, and you cant drive it like one. It takes its own special technique and you have to learn how to use it, just like you would when u learn to drive a manual. Once you have learned it is fantastic as a daily driver, and I prefer it over a manual on the street. I am not just some jackass who doesnt know how to use a manual either, as I race a E30 M3 in BMW club racing and frequently drive a Mini S (with a manual) on the street.

It sounds to me like this reviewer wants a car with a torquey truck V8 and a magical transmission. Like all cars the M5 has its quirks, but it is stillhands down the best car I have ever driven.

Anyway, there is a lot of other crap that the guy has wrong but basically it is just a bad review, or he is mad that he cant have one.
Old 01-30-2006, 07:42 PM
Computer? Say what...

Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 335i Sedan
The guy who wrote that review seems like an English major first, car test driver second.. can anyone really take someone who uses so many adjectives in reviewing a high-end sports car seriously? This review reads like a colorful opinion page column.
Old 02-02-2006, 06:46 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 530i
This guy's reviews showcase the problem with today's world. Anyone can pretend to be an expert on anything. All that's needed is a website and an opinion.
Old 02-02-2006, 06:51 AM
lurking

Mein Auto: 323ci, manual
on one of the episodes of top gear, jeremy said that something broke on the m5 suspension. seems a bit fragile and i'm curious to know what that is and if it's common.
Old 02-02-2006, 08:01 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 645 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by HW
on one of the episodes of top gear, jeremy said that something broke on the m5 suspension. seems a bit fragile and i'm curious to know what that is and if it's common.

He said two things that keeps me from wanting an M5/M6:

1. "The Stig" took it out for a laptime and broke the axle. They had to get a new car.
2. Jeremy took the new car out for a spin, and broke the DTC.

I'm curious to know how the car holds up when driven into the "Stig-zone".