Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 01-24-2006, 11:18 AM
BMW-addicted

Mein Auto: Not worth mentioning
Where to mount the Toll-Transponder??

Hi,

As you can see, we're living in Florida and we're using the automated Toll-collection system "Sun-Pass". We have dificulties in locating the correct spot on the windshield where we should mount the transponder. I noticed that the 7-series has some kind of "cut-out" around the rearview-mirror (Iguess the windshield isn't IR-shielded and the transponder should be mounted there).

But here's the problem: Sunpass tells the customers to mount the transponder at least 2 inches below the top window frame - and that would cover half of the transponder by the window IR-shield... We already tried both locations (at the top, transponder located in the cut-out and 2 inches below, transponder only half in the cut-out) and the system failed a few times, no matter at what location...

What can I do? Any experience/ideas?

Thanks in advance!
Ads by Google
Old 01-24-2006, 11:34 AM

Mein Auto: X5 & 5
The CA version of Sunpass is called FastTrack. FastTrack offers winshield transponders and also license plate transponders for vehicles with IR glass, reflective coating, etc. I'd be willing to bet that FL has a similar offering.

It looks something like this:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	about_trans_plate.gif
Views:	171
Size:	3.4 KB
ID:	66739  
Old 01-24-2006, 11:39 AM
BMW-addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy
The CA version of Sunpass is called FastTrack. FastTrack offers winshield transponders and also license plate transponders for vehicles with IR glass, reflective coating, etc. I'd be willing to bet that FL has a similar offering.

It looks something like this:
Thank You, Jeremy!

Sunpass offers a front-plate solution as well....They are just stating on their homepage that this version would only be required for cars that have an entirely shielded windshield and that the regular transponder should work in the 7-series if it's mounted in this non-shielded area...I guess they are wrong and the front-plate transponder is the way to go...

Thanks again!
Old 01-24-2006, 12:29 PM
Do the interns get Glocks

Send a message via AIM to LmtdSlip
Mein Auto: 325iC
Is this the first time you are using SunPass?

I find that they are very easy to use and dont really require any particular mounting location as long as it has a view out the window.

I dont even mount mine in the window as I think they are big and ugly. So I just hold it up to the window or sunroof as I go through.

I just keep it in the console and take it out as I approach the booth then toss it back in the console once through.

Photobucket
Old 01-24-2006, 12:46 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 85 VW Quantum
when i am in chicago i just toss the one i use on the dash and it works fine there.
Old 01-24-2006, 01:01 PM
BMW-addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by LmtdSlip
Is this the first time you are using SunPass?

I find that they are very easy to use and dont really require any particular mounting location as long as it has a view out the window.

I dont even mount mine in the window as I think they are big and ugly. So I just hold it up to the window or sunroof as I go through.

I just keep it in the console and take it out as I approach the booth then toss it back in the console once through.
This is def. NOT the first time I'm using Sunpass and you CAN'T simply put it somewhere at the windshield. Do you own an E65/66 BMW? This car has a IR-reflecting windshield and THAT'S the problem. This shielding makes it impossible for Sunpass to work if it's not located at a specific location. Please keep in mind that not every BMW comes with this kind of windshield...

We also have a Jeep and this SUV has a standard windshield and it works great on that car...
Old 01-24-2006, 01:26 PM
Do the interns get Glocks

Send a message via AIM to LmtdSlip
Mein Auto: 325iC
Then I presume you have seen this page.

http://www.sunpass.com/windshields.cfm

They recommend mounting it to the left or right of the mirror which sounds like what you are describing but not certain.

Photobucket
Old 01-24-2006, 01:49 PM
BMW-addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by LmtdSlip
Then I presume you have seen this page.

http://www.sunpass.com/windshields.cfm

They recommend mounting it to the left or right of the mirror which sounds like what you are describing but not certain.
Yes, exactly.. According to Sunpass, the Transponder should be 2" below the top window frame but that would put it partially into the shielded area. I called Sunpass and they will send me a Transponder to mount it at the front license plate...at least I can remove it from the windshield...
Old 01-24-2006, 02:57 PM
Go Gators

Send a message via AIM to BmW745On19's
Mein Auto: 745i
Dont put that ugly thing on the windshield. If you must, mount it very close the mirror, where you see that little cut out of the tint. What I do is when I go through the tollbooth is I floor it, roll down the window, and give them the 1-finger salute . Just kidding!

What I really do is slide the moonroof cover open and put the sunpass thingy up to it and drive through the sunpass lane and it usally goes off.

Depending on what sunpass transponder you have, we have the big old bulky ones that are ancient, you might be able to put the transponder in the moonroof cover without harming it and close it but dont open the moonroof with the button it it will break your glass, I suppose.
Old 01-24-2006, 09:38 PM
BMW-addicted

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmW745On19's
Dont put that ugly thing on the windshield. If you must, mount it very close the mirror, where you see that little cut out of the tint. What I do is when I go through the tollbooth is I floor it, roll down the window, and give them the 1-finger salute . Just kidding!

What I really do is slide the moonroof cover open and put the sunpass thingy up to it and drive through the sunpass lane and it usally goes off.

Depending on what sunpass transponder you have, we have the big old bulky ones that are ancient, you might be able to put the transponder in the moonroof cover without harming it and close it but dont open the moonroof with the button it it will break your glass, I suppose.
Thanks for your practical ideas...
As I said, I've ordered this transponder for the front license plate. Let's see how that looks and works...