Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)

E63 / E64 6 Series (2003 - 2013)
The E63/E64 BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 01-26-2006, 02:00 PM
Officially Welcomed to The 'Fest!

Mein Auto:
New CIP Update - 20.01.00

There's a new update out. It is 20.01.00 and supposedly cures the following ailments:

Quote:
The following software errors were corrected with the release of Progman 20.01.00 (Target data Status E060-05-12-510).

While driving, the SMG control module switches to emergency program. SMG Fault Code 5101 (Hex) "Analyze hydraulic sensor" is stored. (E60 M5 only) Refer to SI B23 01 06.

Check Engine Light is on, DME FC "2F4F vehicle speed plausibility" (N62TU only).
It can be found here.

My "Service Engine Soon" light came on recently. Is that the same as "Check Engine Light"? Then the light went out. When I brought the car in, the dealer, a check of the codes was run and I was told it was a "speed sensor" issue. Sure sounds like the "Check Engine Light" issue. The dealer told me there was no upgrade for it. Sounds like I'm not the only one with the issue, either.

What should I do at this point? I have ordered a new Motorola V600 cell phone to replace the RAZR, since I would estimate 75% of the problems I have had with the iDrive relate to phone performance and display issues. (Just yesterday when my phone book displayed, it repeated each entry form two to four times! So, instead of one "Office Voice Mail" entry three popped up!) But it also appears that problems keep coming up and getting resolved with these Progman updates.

Isn't BMW at all embarassed that its software is doing so poorly?
Advertisement
Old 01-26-2006, 03:02 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 645Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malibubimmer

There software is not doing poorly, just your car is.

They have no more updates than anyone else.

Come on mal, if it were that bad, would you even be considering an M6?
Old 01-26-2006, 05:01 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck92103
There software is not doing poorly, just your car is.
If it were only my car there wouldn't be all these updates. Do you think BMW NA has some little computer programmer waiting in the wings, and when my car goes in for its routine warranty work someone yells out "Mr. [Malibubimmer]'s car is here. We need to do another update." No. Others are experiencing the same thing, too. Just not you, you lucky bastard.

Quote:
They have no more updates than anyone else.
How do you know? By "anyone else" do you mean owners of other makes of cars, or other models of BMW that have iDrive, like the 5er and the 7er? It appears that the 7ers don't have the problems we're experiencing in the 6er. No weird lights going off all the time, no iDrive screen freezes, no iDrive not turning off, no touchy brakes (yeah, I thnk it's iDrive-related), no rough idle, etc., etc. The current SIB does talk about an SMG malfunction with the M5.

Quote:
Come on mal, if it were that bad, would you even be considering an M6?
I'm not buying the first M6 out of the box. I was planning to wait for at least 6 months to a year so that the problems would all be worked out first, including the iDrive problems. My wait may be longer. Hell, if this keeps up a Berntley GT sounds pretty good as an alternative. It's actually just about the same size (but not weight) as the M6. And while I've heard of a few electronic burps, nothing like my iDrive.

Cobradav - Does a rocket scientist want to weigh into the affray?
Old 01-26-2006, 06:47 PM
Banned

Software updates address specific issues, but it does noes not mean all cars are expierencing those issues. Some updates are tuning (i.e. Active Steering repsonse), and some are enhancements.

You car has not been repaired/diagnosed correctly yet and you still have repeated issues.

My point was, I just don't see people on this board harping on software issues. Maybe I am not paying attention.

The iDrive computer system has many components as a results of all the technology in the car. Consequently I would expect frequent updates to add functionality and improvements in addition to any bug fixes.
Old 01-26-2006, 07:27 PM

Mein Auto:
104 iDrive problems (so far) and counting

Quote:
Software updates address specific issues, but it does noes not mean all cars are expierencing those issues. Some updates are tuning (i.e. Active Steering repsonse), and some are enhancements.

You car has not been repaired/diagnosed correctly yet and you still have repeated issues.

My point was, I just don't see people on this board harping on software issues. Maybe I am not paying attention.

The iDrive computer system has many components as a results of all the technology in the car. Consequently I would expect frequent updates to add functionality and improvements in addition to any bug fixes.
Here is the list of software problems repaired by the software updates, or whatever we want to call them, for iDrive, with my numbering added:
Quote:
This Service Information bulletin supersedes S.I. B61 14 03 dated December 2005.

SUBJECT

MODEL
E60, E61 (5 Series)

E63, E64 (6 Series)

SITUATION
Customer may complain of the following:

The following software errors were corrected with the release of Progman 20.01.00 (Target data Status E060-05-12-510).

1. While driving, the SMG control module switches to emergency program. SMG Fault Code 5101 (Hex) "Analyze hydraulic sensor" is stored. (E60 M5 only) Refer to SI B23 01 06.

2. Check Engine Light is on, DME FC "2F4F vehicle speed plausibility" (N62TU only).

The following software errors were corrected with the release of Progman 20.00.00 (Target data Status E060-05-12-500).

3. Poor Idle quality after a cold start. N62TU engine.

4. Engine juddering/idle speed surging when it is cold. N52 engine.

5. Engine pinging under light load. N62TU engine.

5.A. [edit: I missed this one before] After programming the CID (Central Information Display) using Progman V19.x, the CID is blank and fault "A469 Internal Electronics Failure" is stored. Progman 20.00.00 prevents this programming failure. If the fault already exists the CID needs to be replaced.

The following software errors were corrected with the release of CIP 19.02.03 (Target data Status E060-05-09-535). [None]

The following software errors were corrected with the release of CIP 19.02.00 (Target data Status E060-05-09-530). [None]

The following software errors were corrected with the release of CIP 19.01.00 (Target data Status E060-05-09-530).

6. CCC (Car Communication Computer) poor AM reception.

7. Increased AL (Active Front Steering) sensitivity at low speeds under 30 mph.

8. "High Battery Drain Message" in CID (Central Information Display). Refer to SI B61 06 05.

9. CCC equipped vehicles with telephone, call fails when dialed using linked sequence ("p" for pause) stored phone numbers. Refer to SI B84 18 05.

10. The audio keeps playing if the vehicle is switched off for up to 3 minutes (until vehicle enters sleep mode). The audio cannot be switched off with the rotary knob. Only vehicles with CCC (Car Communication Computer) are affected.

11. Sporadic CCC resets (screen blanks out briefly and CCC restarts).

12. The "Check Engine Light" is illuminated and fault codes, 2882 and 2883 "Mixture Too Lean", is stored in the DME (Digital Motor Electronics). Refer to SI B12 16 05.

13. AL FC 6141 "Engine Dynamics Monitoring" stored in the AFS module. Refer to SI B32 13 05.

14. Increased AFS (Active front steering) sensitivity when driving at a low speed of less than 30 mph. Refer to SI B32 14 05.

15. Loss of power while decelerating and turning or coming to a stop. Refer to SI B12 20 05.

16. Dead battery caused by MPM (Micro Power Module). Refer to SI B61 12 05.

The following software errors were corrected with the release of CIP 19.00 (Target data Status E060-05-09-510).

17. Power seat movement, seat heating and PDC (Park Distance Control) all fail simultaneously.

18. SZL (Steering Column Switching Center) FC "94E7 – LWS relative wiper angle incorrect"

The following software errors were corrected with the release of CIP 18.00.01 Online Update (Target data Status E060-05-06-510).

19. The headlight side marker lights are inoperative after updating the vehicle with CIP 17.x. Complete vehicle encoding needs to be performed.

The following software errors were corrected with the release of CIP 18.00 (Target data Status E060-05-06-510).

20. The steering wheel intermittently moves into an incorrect position.

21. A rattling noise is heard from the steering when the vehicle is unlocked or the ignition is turned on. Only vehicles with AFS (Active Front Steering) are affected.

The following software errors were corrected with the release of CIP 17.01(Target data Status E060-05-06-500).

22. Vehicles equipped with 6HP26 up to 4/05, customer complains of harsh downshift.

23. Vehicle may be difficult to start, run rough and/or the "Service Engine Soon" light is illuminated. One or more of the following faults may be stored.

24. 2A9A Cam sensor, inlet signal – signal invalid for synchronization

25. 2A98 Crankshaft-inlet camshaft, correlation- Value outside reference range

26. 2A82 VANOS intake- stiff, jammed mechanically

27. 2A9B Cam sensor, exhaust signal – signal invalid for synchronization

28. 2A99 Crankshaft- exhaust camshaft, correlation- Value outside reference range

29. 2A87 VANOS exhaust- stiff, jammed mechanically

30. The customer may complain that the Brake Force Display (BFD) function does not operate

The following software errors were corrected with the release of CIP 17.0 (Target data Status E060-05-03-520).

31. E60: Battery keeps getting discharged. Carrying out "Energy Diagnosis" test plan, the (aLBV) "active seat back width adjustment" has been recognized as the sleep mode preventer. Recode the complete vehicle.

32. The following software errors were corrected with the release of CIP 16.1 (Target data Status E060-05-03-520).

33. On certain MY 2005 vehicles, equipped with the 4.4liter N62 engine, the engine oil CBS message comes on at a very low mileage. Refer to SM B12 213 05.

34. E60: Exterior lights flash briefly when vehicle wakes up. Refer to SM B63 207 04.

35. Vehicles equipped with CCC reboot upon startup (CID screen switches from BMW to blank screen).

36. While placing a call with a Bluetooth handset the call ends after 30 seconds. The timer was extended. Refer to SM B84 234 04.

37. Airbag Warning light is on and one or more of the following "timeout" or "self test" faults is stored:

38. Safety Information Gateway Module (SGM) FC 93AE, 93B0, 93B2, 93B4, 93B6, 93B8, 93B9, 93BA, 93BC, 93BD, 93BE, 93BF, 93C0, 93E4, 93F4, 9445, 9446, 9447, 9448, 9449, 944A

39. Other satellite modules may also store "timeout" or "self test" faults that may mirror the fault in the SGM.

40. Audio off or mute mode is not stored on CCC vehicles after sleep mode. Affected vehicles: E60 (5 Series with CCC), E63/E64 (6 Series). Refer to SM B65 228 04.

41. Not all the CD's can be selected in the CD changer, even though all 6 CD's are loaded.

42. Controller rotates on it's own without being operated.

43. The navigation map is displayed in the assist window (right hand window) on the CID. When the engine is switched off, after 45 minutes the on board computer is displayed instead of the map.

44. Vehicles equipped with CCC and CPT9000 telephone, the missed call indicator is missing, although when the menu is called up the telephone number and time of call are displayed.

45. The PDC tone and gongs are twice as loud following a CCC replacement (vehicles with SA 677 Professional HiFi sound system).

46. When automatic headlamp mode is used, the lights switch on as the vehicle enters a tunnel but do not switch off again after leaving the tunnel. Refer to SM B63 201 05.

47. Loss of power when decelerating and turning or coming to a stop. Vehicles equipped with N62 engine with SMG GS6-53BZ transmission. Refer to SM B12 201 05.

48. Ventilation temperature too cold. Refer to SM B64 202 05.

The following software errors were corrected with the release of CIP 16.0 (Target data Status E060-04-09-555). [None]

The following software errors were corrected with the release of CIP 15.2 (Target data Status E060-04-09-555).

49. Servotronic failure warning in Control Display. Steering functions normally after cycling ignition off and restart. CIM (Chassis Integration Module) fault D98F "Timeout DME message" stored. Vehicles equipped with CIM2 produced from 3/03. Refer to SM B32 200 05.

The following software errors were corrected with the release of CIP 15.0 (Target data Status E060-04-09-555).

50. TCU (Telematics Control Unit) coding fails "CoApi 1000 General Fault" using CIP 13.x.

51. Intermittent "crank no-start" condition. Vehicle starts after 15-20 minutes. No faults stored in DME. Vehicles produced 9/04 – 12/04 with N62.

52.Vehicles equipped with automatic 6HP26, loss of power decelerating to a stop and making a turn. Vehicles produced 9/03 – 12/04.

53. After vehicle has been programmed with CIP 13.x, the customer complains of altered shifting characteristics of the automatic transmission. Earlier up shifts, delayed downshifts when accelerating. 530i w/ ZF 6HP19 transmission produced 9/03 – 7/04.

54. CCC (Car Communication Computer) equipped vehicles; after the doors are unlocked the audio system switches on and begins playing suddenly.

55. TPM (Tire Pressure Monitor) false check control message in CID (Central Information Display). Vehicle produced from 3/04 to 12/04 only. Recode entire vehicle.

56. CCC equipped vehicles, error in track display on vehicle with CDC. For example when Track 1 is displayed Track 2 is playing. This error has occurred since CIP 11.1.

57. CCC equipped vehicles: radio or CD remain active after key is turned off. This problem has occurred since the vehicle was programmed with CIP 12.x.

The following software errors were corrected with the release of CIP 13.3 (Target data Status E060-04-09-504).

58. The CID (Central Information Display) on M-ASK (Multi-Audio System Controller) equipped vehicles has a delayed startup. Encode the complete vehicle.

59. The CID displays the message "Apply brake to start engine", even though the engine is already running.

The following software errors were corrected with the release of CIP 13.2 (Target data Status E060-04-09-504).

60. Total or partial failure of displays, functions or backlighting in the instrument cluster. The displays/functions start working again after the vehicle enters sleep mode. Various CAN message errors are stored in the fault memory, e.g. "0xA3B2_CAN ID 130 Error Failure Message Terminal status" or "A3B4_CAN ID 21A Error failure message lamp status".

61. The trunk lid opens unexpectedly.

62. On vehicles equipped with M-ASK, the audio sound quality from the left-hand side loudspeakers is of poor quality and muffled compared to the right-hand side loudspeakers. Refer to SM B65 224 04.

63. The LED on the PDC (Park Distance Control) button does not light up.

64. M-ASK cannot be switched off, stays on even with key removed.

65. Locating lamp in vehicle interior fails intermittently.

66. On vehicles with CCC, voice input commands such as 'RPA" and "Climate" are not understood.

67. The CPT9000 (V60s) Telephone does not dial out (call immediately ends) when the handset is roaming. Refer to SM B84 211 04 for further information.

68. The 'rollover protection inactive" CC (Check Control) message appears yellow in the instrument cluster. FC "9421 – roll-over power reserve voltage not OK" stored in the SGM (Safety Information Gateway Module). Refer to Service Measure B72 208 04. Vehicles affected: E64 (6 Series).

69. Poor radio reception and/or interference in AM mode, especially on talk radio. Refer to Service Measure B65 212 04.

70. Service Engine Soon light is illuminated. DME FC "2761 – Hot film air mass, secondary air" is stored. Refer to Service Measure B12 203 04.

71. Check engine lamp is illuminated. Any of the following fault codes may be stored in the DME.

(a) FC "2960 – Exhaust Temperature Too High After Catalytic Converter Bank 1"

(b) FC "2961 – Exhaust Temperature Too High After Catalytic Converter Bank 2"

(c) FC "2973 – Oxygen Sensor Before Catalytic Converter Bank 1"

(d) FC "2974 – Oxygen Sensor Before Catalytic Converter Bank 2"

Refer to Service Measure B12 208 04

72. Individual seat memory settings can't be set (missing selection on CID) on vehicles produced prior to 9/2003.

73. DWA causes excessive closed circuit current draw. Vehicles affected: E63/64 (6 series). Refer to Service Measure B65 218 04.

74. FTM (Flat Tire Monitor) cannot be initialized (FTM is grayed out and cannot be selected in CD after CIP 12 programming).

The following software errors were corrected with the release of CIP 12.0 (Target data Status E060-04-06-500).

75. Poor AM reception on vehicles equipped with M-ASK (Multi-Audio System Controller).

76. CD player doesn't remember last position.

77. AFS (Active Front Steering) causes a battery draw.

78. Airbag warning lamp illuminates and the message "Airbag safety systems restricted" is shown in CID (Central Information Display). The following telegram errors could be stored in various satellites caused by faulty door module software:

(a) TMBF: 96C2 Self-test: too few messages, 96B8 deactivation satellite, 96FA deactivation satellite, 96B1 deactivation satellite

(b) TMFA: 9642 Self-test: too few messages, 9631 deactivation satellite

(c) SZL: 94C3 Self-test: too few messages, 94B2 deactivation satellite

(d) SBSR: 98C2 Self-test: too few messages, 98AF deactivation satellite

(e) SBSL: 9842 Self-test: too few messages, 9835 deactivation satellite, 982F deactivation satellite

(f) SFZ: 9AC2 Self-test: too few messages, 9AB1 deactivation satellite

(g) SGM-SIM: 93E4 Self-test: too few messages, 93DA deactivation satellite, 93B0 deactivation satellite

79. BMW Assist errors displayed on CID. Refer to SM B84 207 04.

80. CCC (Car Communication Computer): MFL diamond button programmable.

81. CCC: No audio output after CCC start-up. The track title is no longer displayed in the CD menu; only the CD symbol is shown. There is no audio output unless FM is selected. Track titles are then restored if CD is selected.

82. CCC: When entering the destination via the controller, the characters do not appear for several seconds.

83. CCC: The PDC and/or seat-belt warnings do not sound.

84. CCC: The radio is on in the vehicle and the vehicle is then parked. The vehicle is started again after being parked up for several hours, but there is no audio output. Audio output is not restored until the "Entertainment" menu is selected in the CID.

The following software errors were corrected with the release of CIP 11.0 (Target data Status E060-04-03-505).

85. The airbag warning lamp in the instrument cluster lights up red and the CC message "Restraint-system failed" is displayed in the Central Information Display (CID). One or more of the following faults may be stored:

86. The fault code "9401 - Control Module Fault" is stored in the Safety Information Gateway Module (SGM). Note that improvements to the SGM/SIM software have been progressively introduced since CIP 10.1. Vehicles prior to 03/04 production must also have the upfront sensors replaced using P/N 65 77 6 951 595 or later.

87. SGM fault code "9402 and/or 9404 - Front sensor wrong component". Vehicles prior to 03/04 production must also have the upfront sensors replaced using P/N 65 77 6 951 595 or later.

88. Satellite B Pillar Right (SBSR) fault code "98C5 - Implausible crash severity".

89. SGM fault code "9413 - Signal Lamp Airbag faulty".

90. SBSR fault code "991D - Battery Lead (screen implausible measured value".

91. Switch Center Steering Column (SZL) "94C7 - Short circuit or open ignition circuit 1".

92. SZL fault code "9506 and/or 9508 - Communication steering wheel electronics".

93. The Check Engine Light is illuminated. One or more of the following faults are stored.

(a) N62 DME FC "278B – Engine temperature plausibility".

(b) N62 DME FC "278D – Radiator outlet temperature plausibility".

(c) N62 DME FC "27CD DMTL – Current fluctuation during minor leak test".

94. CID display shows CD inserted in M-ASK, but there is not CD in the drive.

95. The airbag warning light comes on. The "Pass restraint system fault" Check Control message appears. SBSR FC 95B7 "seat occupancy detection communication malfunction" or 95B8 "sensor mat fault" is stored. Note that improvements to the SBSR software have been progressively introduced from CIP 10.0 onwards. Further improvements are expected with later CIP versions.

96. EGS Warning displayed, 6HP16 EGS FC "4F6A – temperature sensor, overheating shut-off" is stored and cannot be cleared.

97. Steering column memory positions are lost from the SZM (Central Switching Center).

98. On vehicles equipped with CCC (Car Communication Computer) the PDC (Park Distance Control) volume is too loud.

99. When selecting the Navigation menu from the main menu with a short push of the controller, the incorrect navigation screen is displayed.

100. With low outside temperatures, if a CD is being played, the track suddenly skips forward to the next track. The fault no longer occurs once the vehicle is warmed up.

The following software errors were corrected with the release of CIP 10.1 (Target data Status E060-03-12-527).

101. The airbag warning lamp in the instrument cluster lights up red and the CC message "Restraint-system failed" is displayed in the Central Information Display (CID). The fault code 9401 "Control Module Fault" is stored in the Safety Information Gateway Module (SGM). Coding fix only.

The following software errors were corrected with the release of CIP 10.0 (Target data Status E060-03-12-525).

102. Airbag warning light is on, SBSR FC 95B7 "Occupancy Sensor Mat".

103. The "passenger airbag status light" is too bright (reduction in brightness).
Chuck - I submit that 100+ problems being addressed, demonstrates a big weakness in our car (and the similar-chassied 5er). I don't see any functionality being added, as you so hopefully state.

Many of the problems which were supposedly fixed by software upgrades continue to repeat themselves in my car, which supposedly had 19.02., including these (using my enumeration): 35, 36, 47, 48, 57, 60, 63 and 74. (I'm not counting nos. 6 and 9 which were supposedly fixed with software upgrade 19.02.03.)

The badly designed Windows OS just seems to leak old problems along with the new. Anybody who thinks that one day BMW is going to get a handle on what you refer to as "bug fixes" is just whistling Dixie. As the list shows, BMW isn't adding any functionality or "fine tuning." It's running at full speed just trying to keep up with the disasters that seem to continue to pour out of the iDrive and repeat themselves endlessly.

So, I ask again: Isn't BMW embarassed about this? It damn well should be. I'm glad that so many of you aren't experiencing the problems I do, and I hope you never do, but I suppose that unless you have perfect hardware, you are going to experience at least some of the 100+ symptoms of poor iDrive design. Since man is incapable of perfection, eventually every 6er owner is going to have something go wrong. In my case it's been a lot of somethings - at least 10 that are recognized in the SIBs. This is not good.

BMW should be ashamed of itself. Once again, it is hunkering down in New Jersey and Munich and hoping we won't notice.

[Edit again: I went back and looked at my numbering. I can't tell if one or two more groups of problems should be been combined under a number with sublettering, so maybe there are only 95 problems; or maybe there are 120 problems. Whatever it is, it's too damn many.]

Last edited by Malibubimmer; 01-26-2006 at 07:36 PM.
Old 01-26-2006, 07:30 PM
Banned

This covers 3 years of bulletins.

You can either view the glass as half full, or half empty.

Last edited by chuck92103; 01-26-2006 at 07:37 PM.
Old 01-26-2006, 07:42 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
This covers 3 years of bulletins.

You can either view the glass as half full, or half empty.
Yes, 3 years. But it makes my point. Three years is 36 months. So we're talking about a new problem just about every week with the iDrive. And the problems still aren't fixed. They continue to recur. It's BMW's dirty little secret. That's pretty poor performance. I like everything about my glass except for the fact that the bottom is fractured and all the water is rapidly leaking out.
Old 01-26-2006, 07:49 PM
Banned

Perhaps you think Lexus will be a better car for you. Here are the Service Bulletins from 2003-2005 on the LS430.

This information was obtained from www.alldata.com , which is not always up to date, some bulletins are most likely missing.

However, there are over 70 issues. No manufacturer who builds complex cars is going to be trouble free. Since the 6 series has a very limited production, it will take longer to work out any issues.

Automotive Recall and Technical Service Bulletin Titles for 2003 Lexus LS 430 V8-4.3L (3UZ-FE).
General Recalls
TSB Number & Issue Date TSB Title

BO004-05 JUL 05 Wipers/Washers - Wiper Blade Cleaning/Maintenance
BO009R-04 JUN 05 Restraints - Seat Belt Extender Availability
EG007-05 MAR 05 Cooling System - Radiator Cap Inspection Procedure
TC002R-03 DEC 04 Engine Controls - ECM Memory Reset After A/T Service
AC005-04 DEC 04 A/C - Sensor Inspection Procedures
BR001R-03 APR 04 Brakes - Front Brake Groan Noise
EG003-04 MAR 04 Engine - Drive Belt Chirping/Squealing Noises
ST001-04 JAN 04 Steering - Steering Column Noise
SS002-03 DEC 03 Engine Controls - O2 Sensor Monitor Threshold Values
BO012-03 DEC 03 Interior - Seat Belt Extender Applications/Availability
SS003R-01 SEP 03 Engine Controls - ECU Programming Error Displayed
SS001R-01 SEP 03 Engine Controls - ECU Programming Procedure
EL012-03 SEP 03 Lexus Link System(R) - DTC 6 Set
BO007-03 SEP 03 Interior - Trim Panel Removel/Installation Precautions
EL006-03 JUN 03 Navigation System - Map Screen is Blank
AX002-03 MAY 03 Cellular Phone - Buzzing Noise in 'Hands Free' Mode
EG001-03 FEB 03 Exhaust System - Sulfur Smell
SS005R-01 JAN 03 Diagnostic Tester - Immobilizer Function
PG012-02 OCT 02 Suspension - Ball Joint Inspection Method
BO005-02 SEP 02 Interior - Seat Belt Extender Availability/Applications

Automotive Recall and Technical Service Bulletin Titles for 2004 Lexus LS 430 V8-4.3L (3UZ-FE).
Safety Recalls

LSC4LA MAR 04 Campaign - Lexus Link(R) System Removal
Service Bulletins

EL010-05 JUN 05 Electrical - Multiple Systems Inop./DTC B1211/B1212
EG012R-04 JUN 05 Engine Controls - Entering VIN After PCM Replacement
EL001R-05 MAY 05 Cell Phone - Bluetooth(R) Compatibility/Functions
EL003R-05 APR 05 Instruments - No Picture Displayed From Backup Camera
EL004-05 APR 05 Instruments - Mirrors Don't Return to Proper Positions
SS001-05 MAR 05 Computers/Controls - CAN Interface Module Initialization
BR006-04 DEC 04 Traction Control - Intermittent VSC Activation/Lamp ON
EL006-04 DEC 04 Instruments - Multi-Display Functions are Inoperative
TC009R-03 DEC 04 A/T - New 'WS' Fluid Usage Precautions/Applications
TC006-04 DEC 04 Engine Controls - Poor Low Speed A/T Shifting
PG004-04 OCT 04 Tire Monitor System - Information/Initialization
EL005-04 OCT 04 Ignition System - Ignition Switch Difficult to Turn
BO005-04 SEP 04 Body - Water Leaks From Rear Window Area
EL003-04 JUN 04 Antitheft System - Smart Key Registration
PG003-04 JUN 04 Instruments - Tire Pressure Warning Light ON
AC003-04 JUN 04 A/C - Compressor Knocking Sound
EG003-04 MAR 04 Engine - Drive Belt Chirping/Squealing Noises
EG002R-04 MAR 04 Engine Controls - MIL ON/DTC's P0133/P0153 Set
BR001-04 MAR 04 Brakes/Traction Control - 'Zero Point Calibration'
TC001-04 FEB 04 A/T - A761 Solenoid Identification
ST001-04 JAN 04 Steering - Steering Column Noise
EL016-03 DEC 03 'Smart Key System' (R) - Poor Performance
BO012-03 DEC 03 Interior - Seat Belt Extender Applications/Availability
PG007-03 NOV 03 'Smart Key System' (R) - Function Clarification
SS003R-01 SEP 03 Engine Controls - ECU Programming Error Displayed
TC006-03 AUG 03 A/T - A761E Fluid Level Checking Discontinued

Automotive Recall and Technical Service Bulletin Titles for 2005 Lexus LS 430 V8-4.3L (3UZ-FE).
Service Bulletins

EL010-05 JUN 05 Electrical - Multiple Systems Inop./DTC B1211/B1212
EG012R-04 JUN 05 Engine Controls - Entering VIN After PCM Replacement
EL001R-05 MAY 05 Cell Phone - Bluetooth(R) Compatibility/Functions
EL004-05 APR 05 Instruments - Mirrors Don't Return to Proper Positions
SS001-05 MAR 05 Computers/Controls - CAN Interface Module Initialization
TC009R-03 DEC 04 A/T - New 'WS' Fluid Usage Precautions/Applications
TC006-04 DEC 04 Engine Controls - Poor Low Speed A/T Shifting
PG004-04 OCT 04 Tire Monitor System - Information/Initialization

Old 01-26-2006, 07:54 PM

Mein Auto:
Chuck, I wouldn't be caught dead in a Lexus, so no Lexus hearse driving me to the cemetery. I tried to click on some of the links you posted and couldn't get them. Some of those don't look like upgrades but just minor refinements. (You know Lexus - it has to isolate the driver as much as possible from what he's doing - driving.) In our case all of what I posted was iDrive problems - software issues.

I don't want you to become BMW's apologist, but I suspect you are screwing with me because it's fun.
Old 01-26-2006, 07:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Chuck, I wouldn't be caught dead in a Lexus, so no Lexus hearse driving me to the cemetery. I tried to click on some of the links you posted and couldn't get them. Some of those don't look like upgrades but just minor refinements. (You know Lexus - it has to isolate the driver as much as possible from what he's doing - driving.) In our case all of what I posted was iDrive problems - software issues.

I don't want you to become BMW's apologist, but I suspect you are screwing with me because it's fun.
I see a lot of pesky Lexus ECU programming issues that seem to cross over year to year. I particluar like the water leak issue.

Hum, not sure which I would prefer, wet clothes while driving? or not being able to sync my Blue Tooth Phone.
Old 01-26-2006, 07:58 PM
Banned

Sirously though, I have noticed a lot of similarities between the Lexus issues and the BMW.

Blue Tooth
Noisy Steering Column
Flat Tire Monitor
Nav screen blank

etc.

I want a perfect car, and I know BMW has room for improvement, I just wanted to shed some light on the competition, which is supposedly the "Pursuit of Perfection".I guess they are still trying to pursue it? Lexus came out in the early 90's, I guess they took the long way home.

Here is the main link, you can search from there.

http://www.alldata.com/TSB/

Last edited by chuck92103; 01-26-2006 at 08:09 PM.
Old 01-26-2006, 08:58 PM
Officially Welcomed to The 'Fest

Mein Auto:
Information on enhancements is not contained in the Service Bulletin program. They are separate notices that I have been unable to uncover. I was introduced to the tech that would be doing my software upgrade tonight and I hope to be able to talk to him when I pick up the car. I am going to try to find out how to get my hands on the "enhancement" info. The only ones I've seen to date have been European.

I gave them specific instructions on the post upgrade printouts I wanted copies of and the SA gave the list to the tech and said please ensure you provide these to Mr. Cobra If I do get them I'll post what I get, and the magic words (if they work ).
Old 01-26-2006, 09:04 PM

Mein Auto:
Cobradav - Do you think 100+ problems "fixed" by "upgrades" in 3 years is about right or too much? I think it's outrageous. Chuck92103, who I think is pimping me says it's to be expected. :ho_hum:

I think that under Californa law, 10 iDrive problems -- so far -- is probably a Lemon Law prima facie case. But I do love my car!

How can we get BMW's attention and tell them this is just not right?

See you at the 6erfest this Sunday in Calabasas. Great that NASA is sending you here in a shuttle.

Chuck92103 - I don't want a perfect car. I'll take one that works and doesn't have to be in the shop every other week. Glad you are also coming to the 6erfest in Calabasas this Sunday.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:42 PM
Banned

Mal, if it was not for me, who would respond to this thread?

Maybe they are all off driving their cars.

Last edited by chuck92103; 01-26-2006 at 09:46 PM.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:49 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Mal, if it was not for me, who would respond to this thread?

Maybe they are all off driving their cars.
They don't have cars, that's why they don't have iDrive problems. They are all busy photoshopping their next mods, neighborhood views, views of "their" cars, etc, etc. Poseurs all.

No wonder they want 22 inch wheels and lower their cars to a nanometer from the ground. They don't have to drive on them. No wonder they want to CF everything. They don't have anything. It's all .

All bark. No bite.

Sunday.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
They don't have cars, that's why they don't have drive problems. They are all busy photoshopping their next mods, neighborhood views, views of "their" cars, etc, etc. Poseurs all.

No wonder they want 22 inch wheels and lower their cars to a nanometer from the ground. They don't have to drive on them. No wonder they want to CF everything. They don't have anything. It's all .

All bark. No bite.

Sunday.
I you going to buy me a Triple Venti non Fat Latte extra hot with a twist of lemon and a hint of cinnamon if I show?

And do you promise not to steal iDrive parts off my car when I am not looking?
Old 01-26-2006, 09:55 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
I you going to buy me a Triple Venti non Fat Latte extra hot with a twist of lemon and a hint of cinnamon if I show?

And do you promise not to steal iDrive parts off my car when I am not looking?
Maybe.
Old 01-27-2006, 09:25 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X6M
Quote:
They don't have cars, that's why they don't have iDrive problems. They are all busy photoshopping their next mods, neighborhood views, views of "their" cars, etc, etc. Poseurs all.
Dear God, you are annoying.

2014 BMW X6 ///M | SpaceGray/BlackPerforatedFullMerino/CarbonLeather
2014 BMW 328xi Touring M-Sport | GlacierSilver/BlackDakota/DarkBurlWalnut
2014 BMW X6 35i M-Perf | TitaniumSilver/BlackNappa/DarkBamboo [wife's ride]

BMW HISTORY | '13 650xiGC, '12 650xi, '11 535xi, '11 X6 50i, '09 750i, '09 328xiT, '08 650i, '07 750i, '07 X5 4.8i, '06 650i, '05 745i, '05 325xiT, '03 745i, '02 745i, '01 325Cic, '01 X5 4.4i, and on...
Old 01-27-2006, 04:14 PM

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Cobradav - Do you think 100+ problems "fixed" by "upgrades" in 3 years is about right or too much? I think it's outrageous. Chuck92103, who I think is pimping me says it's to be expected. :ho_hum:

I think that under Californa law, 10 iDrive problems -- so far -- is probably a Lemon Law prima facie case. But I do love my car!

How can we get BMW's attention and tell them this is just not right?

See you at the 6erfest this Sunday in Calabasas. Great that NASA is sending you here in a shuttle.

Chuck92103 - I don't want a perfect car. I'll take one that works and doesn't have to be in the shop every other week. Glad you are also coming to the 6erfest in Calabasas this Sunday.
Mal- No one has all those problems. As Chuck has said, some have more than their share – you for instance? But others may have none. Remember, this system is identical to the 5er which has far more vehicles out there than the 6er. All these SIBs refer to both vehicles. My system was stable from delivery, had a early hardware failure, and I did one upgrade for a real software fix and it took and system was still stable. IMO you have a weak or intermittent component or MOST bus connector(s) that is the root cause. And maybe you could even be right on BT phone being paired as cause, I don't think so, but it could be. There will be different combos of hardware components during the life of the mfr process and some, in combination with the software, may cause some of these issues. I know for sure engine components are different in different build dates and the DME portion of the software has to account for some of these differences. There may also be timing issues between components on the MOST buss as well as the interconnects on the buss itself. Again, some of this could be hardware driven as the rise or fall time of electronic signals is critical in some cases and here again hardware can contribute to problem. The same software would work in one system, but appear not to work in another. I would hope there is not a lot of critical timing required, but could be. And finally, and this bothers me more than most of the other possibilities, there is the seemingly high instance of new code in an upgrade that causes something else to go bad. Apparently, not all configurations are tested, or can be tested thoroughly or vigorously prior to release to the service centers. Fix two, break one seems to be the current rate. I know I have seen this all my software life (40 years), but I still do not have to like it. Maybe the fixes are rushed, maybe all the platform variants cannot be replicated, I don't know. Remember, some cars go from v15 to v20, while another may go from v19 to v20. AND this is a biggy as well, BMW has to have code that is capable of being country specific. Examples: Daytime Driving Lights are dealer only on/off in US Spec with default off, in Canada default is on, and iDrive selectable in several countries; Windows can be rolled down and up in many countries, but only down in USA; Foreign language text and voice; Different emission requirements means differences in DME code; Have the code folks been able to ensure that all the necessary code has been tested under all conditions, permutations and combinations?? May be similar to Microsoft’s problem for world wide distribution of Word or Excel, but seems to me to be more complex. ---- Break; break – phone rings – SA on line – Mr. Cobra when tech started software upgrade it failed indicating CID failure – part ordered and will be in Monday – you will need to keep that POS Volvo S40 for another few days. Now where was I, oh, yea. In summation your honor, the introduction of tightly integrated complex and sophisticated software has introduced a far greater chance for error in several areas of the total automobile experience. Automobile manufacturers may not be the best systems integrator but they are learning, but possibly at the expense of some short term impact of consumer and customer confidence. They may just lose some (customers) along the way. Do I believe 100 + software issues in 3 years is excessive, no given the understanding I have of the issues facing both BMW and customer acceptance of software in their automobiles. And yes if I were to grade them on the same level I might expect of a Manned Space Program software development house.

By the way, I have not seen any CA 6ers sign up for Sharkfest in Spartanburg, SC in May. And you have had plenty of warning as well.
Old 01-27-2006, 05:06 PM
///M for Motor Sports!

Mein Auto: No More 6 Series
Clap, Clap, Clap

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobradav

By the way, I have not seen any CA 6ers sign up for Sharkfest in Spartanburg, SC in May. And you have had plenty of warning as well.
I agree with all of what you said Cobradav and I see all this chatter on this 6er forum and not many signed-up Sharkfest attendees but three of us are going. What's up with that? I guess it's too far or they wish to remain Bimmerfest Thread depositors...

Oh well, GMAN signing out!

GMAN

2008 Alpine White, Portland Brown ///M5 (SMG)
2008 Alpine White, Fox Red ///M3 (6MT)
2008 Sapphire Black, Black 750Li
Old 01-30-2006, 10:02 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Mikker
Mein Auto: 650i Convertible 2008
How do you know which CIP version you have? Will the service center automatically update to latest version when you take the car in, or do you have to request it?
Old 01-31-2006, 07:35 PM

Mein Auto:
Mikker

How do you know which CIP version you have? Will the service center automatically update to latest version when you take the car in, or do you have to request it?

------

Only dealer can tell you. You should ask for Status report when delivered, but who thinks about software version on a car? They may have info on hand. Or you can try to guess based on build date versus the dates in the PDF on CIPs (now PROGMAN) versus Target data Status. BMW tracks by Target Data Status, but they equate to software release versions you see us discuss here such as 20.01.00, etc. I am attaching page one of my Status Report so you can see what it looks like. I was hooked up to do a software upgrade but they had to abort as it found a bad module (CID -Computer Information Display). That is a processor that includes the actual iDrive Screen (not sure the screen will be replaced but it might be the LRU. They had to order and it was on National back order. So I have car until rescheduled to go back in. You can see by using the other PDF that I would have either CIP 16.1 or 17.0 (05-03-520). But I know its 16.1 based on the date it was installed. It also appears they were going to upgrade me to 19.02.03, even though they say they have v20.01.00. There may be something wrong with that version (some are seeing problems) or maybe they just blew it. I will challenge them when I go back in.

For a software upgrade to be free you need to have a problem that is going to be fixed by new software. I keep a list of issues to throw at them just in case I do not have a "significant" problem that really needs fixing. Hang around here long enough and you will get the feel for the complaints that work. But main thing to remember. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. That is: don't upgrade just to upgrade. I got 16.1 cause it fixed a real problem. I passed on all the interim CIP upgrades as I had no real problems. Then I had a new real problem which I do not think is software but since they could not find it they scheduled me in for software upgrade to "hope" it fixed it. Well now I think the real culprit has been found - the CID. But when you replace any of a a long list of hardware they will have to upgrade the software anyway.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CIP_Releases.pdf (4.6 KB, 169 views)
File Type: pdf Status_Report_Page_1a_Jan_06.pdf (130.3 KB, 270 views)
Old 02-01-2006, 03:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 750i
Quote:
no touchy brakes (yeah, I thnk it's iDrive-related)
my car is burning oil. i blame iDrive!
2006 750i, European Delivery , De-badged , 20" style 32 BMW wheels , hardwired V1 , Nokia 6230 (fw 5.50) paired and cradled. Options/Pkgs: Sport pkg, Luxury Seating Pkg, Convinience Pkg, Premium Audio Pkg, Comfort Access, Power Rear Shades, Sat radio. European front plate

2003 996 C2 Cab 6spd. Power seats. Heated Seats. Xenon. Bose. SmartTOP. RemoteTOP. ROW-M030. V1. Evo V-Flow. GIAC ECU. Aspheric mirrors. Turbo Bumper. GT3 Console Delete. Tint. SSK. PSE mod. Suncoast headers.
Old 02-01-2006, 03:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 750i
Quote:
(Just yesterday when my phone book displayed, it repeated each entry form two to four times! So, instead of one "Office Voice Mail" entry three popped up!)
is your phone GSM? if so, chances are, it is picking up both phone and SIM address books.

Quote:
its not and it shouldn't be. software is written by humans and humans make mistakes. as somebody who works in a software industry, i would give BMW a B+ for stabilty and itegration of their software and hardware. i would also rate them high for ability to fix problems in software upgrade and quickly distribute those software upgrades worldwide.

i think life is too short to be super upset about those things. there are people in this world who can't even afford to buy a BMW steering wheel - and here you are constantly bitching about your iDrive problems. relax. life is good. and if you can't deal with stress created by iDrive, i hear toyota prius software has way less bugs in it
2006 750i, European Delivery , De-badged , 20" style 32 BMW wheels , hardwired V1 , Nokia 6230 (fw 5.50) paired and cradled. Options/Pkgs: Sport pkg, Luxury Seating Pkg, Convinience Pkg, Premium Audio Pkg, Comfort Access, Power Rear Shades, Sat radio. European front plate

2003 996 C2 Cab 6spd. Power seats. Heated Seats. Xenon. Bose. SmartTOP. RemoteTOP. ROW-M030. V1. Evo V-Flow. GIAC ECU. Aspheric mirrors. Turbo Bumper. GT3 Console Delete. Tint. SSK. PSE mod. Suncoast headers.
Old 02-01-2006, 03:55 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: Jet Black 650i
Mal - don't know if I ever responded to your question but you were right on about how to reboot the iDrive. When I went back to Beverly Hills BMW, the guy who did it choked, laughed, and told me never to share the secret. Apparently they acknowledge that the more you reboot, the more problems you could have. Odd. I thought rebooting fixed problems. Oh well ...

-N-