Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW

General BMW
Use this forum to talk about general BMW news/stories and to chat with fellow enthusiasts about the direction that BMW is going in for their cars and/or motorcycles!

Old 09-30-2002, 05:26 AM
In Mod Heaven

Mein Auto: 2002 330Ci
Axxis Brake Pads Installed (Long)

Well, I ordered Axxis dustless brake pads to replace the OEM brake pads that come on our car. They arrived early last week, and I finally had some time yesterday to install them. In order to do a comparison of the brake dust buildup, I installed the Axxis pads on the front and left the OEM in the rear. I will take pictures at the end of the week to compare the front vs. rear. Since the rears do very little braking, yet still dust pretty badly, I figured if the Axxis pads look either cleaner/slightly dirtier than the rears, I will be happy.

After I got the fronts installed (which took about an hour, with a full cleaning of the wheels), I did the recommended "break-in" procedure; driving to 30 MPH and applying moderately brake pressure x 10 times with 30 seconds in between each run. I then took the car for a nice long ride thru the only twisty road in this area. I installed anti-squeak compound to the back of the brake pads and they seem to be working rather well. I haven't heard any squeaking at all. I haven't done any hard braking yet since the pads won't be fully broken in until tomorrow. The one thing I did notice when I got home after my 50 miles of twisties is that the front wheels looked like they did right after I installed them. They are extremely clean still. The rears are already showing a nice layer of brake dust.

At the end of this week, I'll take pictures of both the front and rear wheels to compare the amount of brake dust; and to give some actual impressions of these brakes. I should have about 350 miles on the brakes by then.

I'm hoping by installing these pads, I will reduce the amount of time I spend cleaning my rims. Currently I clean them about 3x per week.
Ads by Google
Old 09-30-2002, 05:41 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to vern
Mein Auto: 01 330ci 05 530i 06 X3
Rotors warping

Keep a close check on your rotors warping.I have read on other sites pepole are experienceing rotors are warping.they solved the brake dust problem to a certain degree but encountered the warping,they went back to the oem pads and put up with the brak dust.
good luck
vern
Old 09-30-2002, 05:45 AM

Mein Auto: 330/540/318is/MB190SL
Re: Rotors warping

Quote:
Originally posted by vern
Keep a close check on your rotors warping.I have read on other sites pepole are experienceing rotors are warping.they solved the brake dust problem to a certain degree but encountered the warping,they went back to the oem pads and put up with the brak dust.
good luck
vern
That's my concern. We'll have to wait for the long term review.
Old 09-30-2002, 05:59 AM
In Mod Heaven

I have heard this too, but I wonder if the rotor warping is due to excessively hard braking, if these guys track their cars, or both. They don't recommend that you use these pads on the track. I do mostly highway driving and after 7500 miles, my OEM pads still look new. They are probably about 3/4" in thickness still. We'll see what happens, but most of the guys over at fanatics haven't had problems with these pads.

I am keeping the original pads just in case. I will write a followup next weekend and then about a month from now.
Old 10-01-2002, 05:07 AM
In Mod Heaven

Man the front rims looks good still. Three days, 150 miles, and no brake dust in sight. The rears are already pretty well glazed but the fronts look like they did when I washed them. By the weekend, I can't imagine how bad the rears will look. I haven't really let me rims go more than a couple of days without a cleaning.
Old 10-01-2002, 05:24 AM
M Mad

Mein Auto: M Roadster/M3
Which pads? They make three pads. Deluxe, Metal Master and Ultimate.

I have had experience with both Deluxe and Metal Master and find they are wonderful pads. IMO you can't beat the Deluxe for most people, for street and autocross use. Metal Masters can handle lighter cars at the track, but a newer 3 series is a little much for them.

MOST "rotor warping" is really uneven pads deposits. ANd if you run Deluxes at the ttrack you can overheat them and have this occur. You can either actually measure the rotor runout or sand the rotor surface with garnet sandpaper to remove any deposits and see if the problem goes away.

I have never heard of rotor wrping from the Repco/PBR/Axxis pads (they are the sam ecompany with name changes over the years).

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Red/White SRF #4 (Chassis 561)
Old 10-01-2002, 05:43 AM
In Mod Heaven

Quote:
Originally posted by Pinecone
Which pads? They make three pads. Deluxe, Metal Master and Ultimate.
They are the Deluxe pads. I guess I should've mentioned this in the original post.
Old 10-01-2002, 08:31 AM
Into the dark ages

Mein Auto: Mystery MACHINE
Re: Axxis Brake Pads Installed (Long)

wow! that frequently. shoot...and i thought once a week was a bit much. glad to hear i'm not the only one that compulsive.

how much did these pads cost compared to OEM ones?

Quote:
Originally posted by Ack
I'm hoping by installing these pads, I will reduce the amount of time I spend cleaning my rims. Currently I clean them about 3x per week.
Old 10-01-2002, 08:50 AM
In Mod Heaven

Re: Re: Axxis Brake Pads Installed (Long)

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisTO
wow! that frequently. shoot...and i thought once a week was a bit much. glad to hear i'm not the only one that compulsive.

how much did these pads cost compared to OEM ones?

OCD to the extreme. The car just looks so damn good clean, I can't let her get dirty.

These pads were $74 shipped for the 330Ci. I believe they're at least $10 cheaper for the other E46's. This is for front and rear pads.

If you want to get them, ship them to my house and I'll bring them up for you. I can even help install them if you want. It shouldn't take more than 1.5-2 hours to do.

Let me know if you want the contact info for the shop that sells them.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:07 PM

Send a message via MSN to Fars
Mein Auto: BMW 325 CI
I have the same problem I clean my rims every 2 days I'm soooo tired... Will try axxis this week and c wut gonna happen
Old 08-27-2009, 12:19 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: BMW M5
Thanku for the information, my dad is facing such problems. hope to get more tips.
Old 08-27-2009, 08:00 AM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Jeeeezus....do you two Noobs realize you`re responding to a thread from SEVEN YEARS AGO ???? Wake up and smell the decade, boys ! :-)

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....