Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW

General BMW
Use this forum to talk about general BMW news/stories and to chat with fellow enthusiasts about the direction that BMW is going in for their cars and/or motorcycles!

Old 12-21-2001, 10:20 AM
I'm a Mac

Mein Auto: 03 540iA sport
323/325 Owners: Be careful racing those VW Bugs!!

Why does the VW beetle get a 6-speed?

Link to article on new VW Bug Turbo S:

http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/roadt...1/article.html

Current: 2003 540iA M-sport
Previous: 07 Porsche Boxster S, 01 BMW 330i SP, 97 Acura Integra GS-R, 89 Toy Supra, 73 Datsun 240Z
Ads by Google
Old 12-21-2001, 10:32 AM
I'm a Mac

Mein Auto: 03 540iA sport
Somehow I don't mind the Golf/Jetta's getting the 6, but the Bug?

Sheesh.

I want a 6-speed. I'll bet BOTH the RX-8 and the G35 will offer 6-speeds...

;-)

Current: 2003 540iA M-sport
Previous: 07 Porsche Boxster S, 01 BMW 330i SP, 97 Acura Integra GS-R, 89 Toy Supra, 73 Datsun 240Z
Old 12-21-2001, 11:42 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 335i
6 speeds are nice but...

Yeah- it does kind of suck that we don't get a 6 speed. But, if we did get a 6 speed it most likely would not improve performance-- BMW would just use the extra gear to give us an overdrive to improve highway mileage. The slight extra weight of the transmission would cause a very slight decrease in acceleration performance. This is how 6 speeds are used in all current applications including the M3. For other car makers, the 6 speed may have improved performance a bit because they were already uing 5th gear as an overdrive so the ratios weren't as tightly spaced as they could be with 6 gears. BMW tops out at 1:1 in 5th- so they can have tightly spaced ratios. Some gearboxes run 1:1 in 3rd!
Old 12-21-2001, 11:47 AM
Account closed at users request

Mein Auto:
M54 LOVE high RPMS, no need for a 6th speed!

as for this:
Quote:
Volkswagen has equipped this Beetle with a 180 horsepower 1.8-liter turbocharged engine and hooked it to a six-speed manual transmission. That's a 20-percent boost in horsepower over the standard Turbo Beetle, and combines with a peak torque of 173 lb-ft to give the S model a 0-to-60 time of 7.4 seconds, according to Volkswagen.
No threat to my 330ci yet!
Old 12-21-2001, 11:53 AM
www.projecte46.com

Mein Auto:
Being a refugee of the Veedub club, Im impressed. a six cog 20v turbo chipped and exhausted would be quite the sleeper. I dont think 3.0 BMW owners have to worry too much though, but you have to admit, a car almost half the price that could run with a 3er is interesting.
But at least they still got torque steer...
Old 12-21-2001, 12:08 PM

Mein Auto: 323ci
pinto

I couldnt agree more -

When I cruise on long journeys, it kills me that my engine has to rev soo damn High in 5th gear at 80mph

it's just not right - I could save a ton more gas if we had an extra cog
Old 12-21-2001, 05:31 PM

Mein Auto: A 333 Horse Chariot
It seems kind of ironic that BMW made the 325 an LEV (Low Emissions Vehicle) and the 330 a ULEV (Ultra...) but they don't give us an extra gear to help conserve gasoline. Well, at least I'm not driving a 16 MPG SUV... Wait a minute, the M3 gets 16 MPG too.
Old 12-22-2001, 04:38 AM

Mein Auto: 335i
It's not all about speed or 0-60...

Having owned a VW GTI VR6, I can say this car is a little rocket. 2nd and 3rd pulls like crazy - but hang on with the torque steer...the engine is really the only great part of this car....the handling and suspension could never keep up with it. I would say that my 325ci is actually a little slower than the GTI...but the GTI can't hold a candle to the amazing balance, grip, and handling of the 325...so if ever it came to a back road match...the GTI would hang in there...but the last thing you'd see would be the taillights of the Bimmer disappearing around the hairpins....