Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 09-30-2002, 01:27 PM
Suede Master

Mein Auto: '02 3.0i Z3 Coupe
Airbag Warning Sticker-Unconfirmed solution

After trying the Goof-off (and other household remedies) method for removing the airbag warning decals from the passenger side visor in my coupe, I was horrified to find that there was still a visible residue on the visor. After a good amount of extra work I gave up trying to get it off. At Homecoming this year, I confirmed that all the cars I looked at that had the label removed, had the same residue. I decided that I could live with the airbag sticker and ordered a new visor. I was shocked and very much pleased to find that the replacement visor had no warning on it. It is absolutely perfect. I will order a new driver's side visor soon and will confirm if the new visor has the decal or not.

In the following pic, I did alter the contrast to show a more clearcut difference in the two visors.

Advertisement
Old 09-30-2002, 01:31 PM
King of Rear Clunks

Mein Auto: 01 325iT, 88 M6
Oh good, I thought it was 'just me' too.
Old 09-30-2002, 01:32 PM
19,585 Miles

Mein Auto: Z4 M Coupe 6LL93033
I used to recommend Goof Off followed by laquer thinner to remove the residue. You can skip the Goof Off and just use the laquer thinner. I follow it with Vinylex.
Try laquer thinner on yours and let me know if it removes the residue.
Old 09-30-2002, 01:33 PM
TD

Mein Auto:
When I had my 330i (with grey headliner and visors), the Goof Off solution worked well enough to not notice the residue. But on the black visors in my E36 M3, I am left with almost exactly what is pictured. The only problem is that the E36 M3 visors include mirrors with little sliding covers so I doubt a replacement part (even if it were to come without a sticker) is going to pass the cost/benefit equation.
Old 09-30-2002, 01:38 PM
King of Rear Clunks

Mein Auto: 01 325iT, 88 M6
I used Goof-Off too, on my grey visors, and there is that 'residue.' I didn't want to go too strong since the Goof-Off was already starting to show signs of softening.
Old 09-30-2002, 01:39 PM

Mein Auto: 330/540/318is/MB190SL
I have a very faint residue on my black vinyl 330, pretty much only visible when the top is down. On the grey fabric 540 visor, you cannot tell at all. Anything is better than the awful stickers, imo.
Old 09-30-2002, 02:23 PM
Suede Master

Ron, I tried laquer thinner a while ago as well. There was still remnants so I opted for the new one. I did not try Vinylex though.

TD, The visor(s) pictured do have the mirror with cover, they are on the other side of the visor. The visors are shown as they would be in the car, decal pointing toward the cabin-in this case, camera (Mirror facing the roof liner).

JonM's theory is that since the coupes are gone, BMW consolidated the part, by deleting the decal, they no longer have to print it in many languages. Standards set by the DOT may shoot down this theory. I have my fingers crossed that I can get the driver's side without the decal.

Also, I will note that the visors are somewhat pricey and this may not be something most sane people would replace.
Old 09-30-2002, 02:33 PM
TD

Mein Auto:
Quote:
Originally posted by AndyM

Also, I will note that the visors are somewhat pricey and this may not be something most sane people would replace.
Hence my "cost/benefit" comment. But I'll try the laquer thinner.
Old 09-30-2002, 02:39 PM
19,585 Miles

Mein Auto: Z4 M Coupe 6LL93033
Quote:
Originally posted by AndyM
Ron, I tried laquer thinner a while ago as well. There was still remnants so I opted for the new one. I did not try Vinylex though.

TD, The visor(s) pictured do have the mirror with cover, they are on the other side of the visor. The visors are shown as they would be in the car, decal pointing toward the cabin-in this case, camera (Mirror facing the roof liner).

JonM's theory is that since the coupes are gone, BMW consolidated the part, by deleting the decal, they no longer have to print it in many languages. Standards set by the DOT may shoot down this theory. I have my fingers crossed that I can get the driver's side without the decal.

>>>Laquer thinner worked for me.
You ordered the Euro visors 51 16 8 407 077 and 8. They come without the stickers. The NA ones end with 341 and 2.
The parts CD defaults to Euro if you don't take steps to change it.
Old 09-30-2002, 02:44 PM
into things retro

Mein Auto: '02 M3 SMG & '08 135i
On my little roadster visor, the decal looks like it's almost ready to flake off by itself. I'll have to take some tape to it and see if some will lift off and then see if the residue color change is evident.
Photo gallery
Old 09-30-2002, 03:20 PM
M

Mein Auto: M
Salvaging blemished visors

How about printing and laminating the following pic to cover the blemish on the visor

Old 09-30-2002, 03:24 PM
Parking Spot Maven

Mein Auto: 2011 335i, 2013 M3
Re: Salvaging blemished visors

Quote:
Originally posted by Esteves
How about printing and laminating the following pic to cover the blemish on the visor

Old 09-30-2002, 03:29 PM
into things retro

I gotta admit . . .

it does look better than the DOT approved sticker and for M Roadsters, probably more useful.
Photo gallery
Old 09-30-2002, 05:43 PM
Investigative Tinkerer

Mein Auto: ///Motorized Vehicles
Andy: been trying to call you, E-mail me your current phone number.

I have left the stickers alone on the black (1999) car. But as soon as we got the gray one (2001) I removed them.

In my case, I was able to just use my thumb and rub off the decal without using any solvent and there is no residue left behind. Bear in mind that this was when the car was BRAND NEW.

I was able to do essentially the same thing with the X5, and that has "fabric" covering the visors.

The trick, I feel, is to do it as soon as possible before the stickers have a chance to become one with the visor.

Randy Forbes
1957 Austin-Healey 100/6 Wine Red
1961 McCulloch R1 go-kart Screaming Yellow
1995///M3 Coupe Dakar Yellow Eurosport Twinscrew S/C
1999///M Rdstr Cosmos Black Eurosport Twinscrew S/C
1999///M Coupe Estoril Blue Eurosport Twinscrew S/C
2001///M Rdstr Steel Gray
2011 X5 35i Sport Deep Sea Blue/Cinnamon
Old 10-01-2002, 06:37 AM
M Mad

Mein Auto: M Roadster/M3
Quote:
[i]
I have left the stickers alone on the black (1999) car. But as soon as we got the gray one (2001) I removed them.

In my case, I was able to just use my thumb and rub off the decal without using any solvent and there is no residue left behind. Bear in mind that this was when the car was BRAND NEW.

I was able to do essentially the same thing with the X5, and that has "fabric" covering the visors.

The trick, I feel, is to do it as soon as possible before the stickers have a chance to become one with the visor. [/B]
I found the stickers on our '02 M3 came off without any residue, except a faint line around where the outside edge of the sticker was.

I wonder if they changed how the sticers were attached?

I wasn't going to remove them on the M3, but hung one of those Tempo wipes holders on the visor, and when I removed it for a track events, about half the sticker ripped off. So I had to remove the rest.

'95 Alpine M3 LTW
'00 Dakar M Roadster
'02 Topaz M3
Red/White SRF #4 (Chassis 561)
Old 10-01-2002, 07:43 AM
Registered ABUSER!

Mein Auto: 2001 M Coupe
The reason why the replacement visor didn't have the airbag warning sticker is b/c they're attached at the VPC for various markets. The same place installs the window sticker and many other requirements prior to shipping the car off to dealers.
Old 10-01-2002, 08:25 AM
into things retro

Here's a stupid question . . .

Are the roadster visors made of a slightly different material or made with a different process (in anticipation of more sun exposure)?

Edit: Okay, so maybe it was a dumb question. It's just that having read various threads on this over the last 6 months, it seemed like the stickers came off easier on the roadsters

Coincidentially, a couple of threads on the other boards popped up on the same topic:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...threadid=13106

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...threadid=13163
Photo gallery

Last edited by scottn2retro; 10-02-2002 at 03:33 PM.
Old 10-03-2002, 05:03 PM
Clinicaly Insane

Send a message via AIM to AlohaFrank
Mein Auto: 2001 M Roadster
same residue here

What happened to the leatherZ visor covers, seems like this was an option a few months back? This would cover the black shiney spot on mine.
Old 10-03-2002, 05:32 PM
Suede Master

Leather visors never worked. I have too much on my plate right now to look into it further (I guess I could outsource it but both Jon and I dislike doing it that way).