Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-03-2015, 07:02 PM
carls540i carls540i is offline
Registered User
Location: atlanta
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 41
Mein Auto: BMW 540i
Eonon 5124/5166

I have an 02 540i and I'm looking to install an aftermarket eonon 5124/5166 made for the e39. My OEM radio had 2 plugs, a 40 pin connector going into the business CD and another 12pin connector going into the side of the radio. Does anyone know the exact function of the 12 pin connector? Eonon CS says the unit is plug and play because I do not have OEM navigation/video but they need to know what the function of the 12 pin connector is to make sure I don't lose anything. Any help would be appreciated. Please my pic below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150418_130244.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	507377  
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 05-12-2015, 12:28 AM
Alika808 Alika808 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Hawaii
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 415
Mein Auto: 01 325 / 02 X5 / 03 525
I bought the Eonon D5166ZU and will arrive on May 13th. They told me too that it should be plug and play and you don't the extra cable if the EOM radio doesn't have DSP function. Please up-date what will be the out come of this issue. Check this site it might give some ideas for the 12 pin connector. http://audiowiringdiagram.com/car/20...iagram-colors/
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-13-2015, 12:35 AM
Alika808 Alika808 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Hawaii
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 415
Mein Auto: 01 325 / 02 X5 / 03 525
Up-date: I received the Eonon D5166ZU. The 12 pin connector (shown above) is no longer needed with the Eonon radio. Just plug the other connector that you removed from the EOM DVD player. So far, I have positive comment with this radio.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-13-2015, 10:36 AM
musa's Avatar
musa musa is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Bellevue, WA
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 408
Mein Auto: 528ia, X5 4.4 sports
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alika808 View Post
Up-date: I received the Eonon D5166ZU. The 12 pin connector (shown above) is no longer needed with the Eonon radio. Just plug the other connector that you removed from the EOM DVD player. So far, I have positive comment with this radio.
Pics, pics and yet more pics to do justice to your post How's the radio reception? Great all round?
__________________

Last edited by musa; 05-13-2015 at 10:38 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-13-2015, 10:41 AM
energizedmortal's Avatar
energizedmortal energizedmortal is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Manhattan, New York
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 708
Mein Auto: 2003 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by carls540i View Post
I have an 02 540i and I'm looking to install an aftermarket eonon 5124/5166 made for the e39. My OEM radio had 2 plugs, a 40 pin connector going into the business CD and another 12pin connector going into the side of the radio. Does anyone know the exact function of the 12 pin connector? Eonon CS says the unit is plug and play because I do not have OEM navigation/video but they need to know what the function of the 12 pin connector is to make sure I don't lose anything. Any help would be appreciated. Please my pic below.
That connector will only plug into the MID display which you can still hook up when needed to adjust date/time etc on the Hi cluster.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-13-2015, 04:42 PM
jarhed1964 jarhed1964 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Charlotte, NC
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 631
Mein Auto: '99 528i Sport, '05 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alika808 View Post
Up-date: I received the Eonon D5166ZU. The 12 pin connector (shown above) is no longer needed with the Eonon radio. Just plug the other connector that you removed from the EOM DVD player. So far, I have positive comment with this radio.
I agree. It's a nice radio. Only things I have a slight problem with:

1. The "Kudos" gps software is garbage. I installed a hack copy of iGo Primo (don't do it)
2. The hack copy of iGo Primo crashes. Going to spring for a good copy.
3. Radio reception is so-so, but I listen to XM and Thumb drives almost exclusively anyway.
4. Screen glare from the rear window. They didn't use a high quality screen material.
5. Mine doesn't sit perfectly in the hole. In other words, the bottom sticks out because there is nothing holding the bottom of the unit in. It needs something to support the rear of the unit back in the hole. Mine leans out about 1/4". Not sure how you guys have managed to get yours to stay in firm, but I'm open to suggestions.


Still..... I'll never go back to the OEM radio. Period. This is a VAST improvement on what I had, and really does look OEM. Touch screen responds fast, no static.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-15-2015, 03:43 PM
Alika808 Alika808 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Hawaii
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 415
Mein Auto: 01 325 / 02 X5 / 03 525
Try these:
Remove the bottom screws from the hole and use a bigger flat washers. When you screw in, don't screw into the plate hole, just let the plate in between the flat washers and the plates. Loose the the middle for these procedures, when you tighten the bottom screws, pull the top portion of the plate so that it lean forward. This makes the radio lean forward and butt in on top the lower part into the car molding. This is trial and error until it perfectly butt in then tight the middle screws and the bottom screws. I hope it works for you.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-15-2015, 03:46 PM
Alika808 Alika808 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Hawaii
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 415
Mein Auto: 01 325 / 02 X5 / 03 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by energizedmortal View Post
That connector will only plug into the MID display which you can still hook up when needed to adjust date/time etc on the Hi cluster.
Yes, you are correct but when you install the Eonon Radio, the 12 pin connector is not needed to the system works. The only thing you need to connect is the big connector.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-15-2015, 05:26 PM
jarhed1964 jarhed1964 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Charlotte, NC
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 631
Mein Auto: '99 528i Sport, '05 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alika808 View Post
Try these:
Remove the bottom screws from the hole and use a bigger flat washers. When you screw in, don't screw into the plate hole, just let the plate in between the flat washers and the plates. Loose the the middle for these procedures, when you tighten the bottom screws, pull the top portion of the plate so that it lean forward. This makes the radio lean forward and butt in on top the lower part into the car molding. This is trial and error until it perfectly butt in then tight the middle screws and the bottom screws. I hope it works for you.
Ok, right there I figured out that you guys have a different mount. I have two screws holding the little bracket in each side, then ONE screw that holds the radio onto the bracket, but only at the TOP corners of the radio.

Going to see if I can find a picture of my brackets from an ad.


Edit:

Ok, I see what you are saying. You are literally swiveling the bottom of the brackets (plates) IN so that the top tab is angled differently. I think I'll try that.

Last edited by jarhed1964; 05-15-2015 at 05:57 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-15-2015, 05:32 PM
jarhed1964 jarhed1964 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Charlotte, NC
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 631
Mein Auto: '99 528i Sport, '05 530i
Here are my two brackets. The holes on the long part go into the side of the opening. The little "wing" part is what holds the top of the radio (under the screw hole covers) into the opening.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	brackets.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	509249  
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-24-2015, 04:38 PM
Alika808 Alika808 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Hawaii
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 415
Mein Auto: 01 325 / 02 X5 / 03 525
Please read the whole statement before you start the process. Also, put a two sided adhesive tape on the bottom part of the radio where it touches the car panel. First, stick the adhesive tape to the radio (bottom part), then start screw the radio on top, don't tighten yet the top screw. Pell off the other side of the adhesive tape while pushing back the bottom part of the radio until it perfectly flush into the panel. Then tighten the screw at this time. The radio will keep in place. Note: during these processes, the radio is on listening to the music or something because when you push the radio into place, it's hard to remove if you have issue with the speaker sound. I hope it works with you.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-24-2015, 07:44 PM
jarhed1964 jarhed1964 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Charlotte, NC
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 631
Mein Auto: '99 528i Sport, '05 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alika808 View Post
Please read the whole statement before you start the process. Also, put a two sided adhesive tape on the bottom part of the radio where it touches the car panel. First, stick the adhesive tape to the radio (bottom part), then start screw the radio on top, don't tighten yet the top screw. Pell off the other side of the adhesive tape while pushing back the bottom part of the radio until it perfectly flush into the panel. Then tighten the screw at this time. The radio will keep in place. Note: during these processes, the radio is on listening to the music or something because when you push the radio into place, it's hard to remove if you have issue with the speaker sound. I hope it works with you.
Good idea. Never thought of using two sided tape. I have plenty of that lying around.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2015 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms