Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 09-21-2009, 06:31 PM
Jobu Jobu is offline
Jobu
Location: Northeast, NJ
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 25
Mein Auto: 2003 530i, 2011 X5d
Same problem as everyone else!

So thanks guys for the ideas. Just unplugged the hood sensor. We'll see... Hopefully it will keep me from having to buy my wife a new car!!!
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 09-23-2009, 03:05 AM
Jobu Jobu is offline
Jobu
Location: Northeast, NJ
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 25
Mein Auto: 2003 530i, 2011 X5d
It worked! What a relief! Thx to all.
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 12-07-2009, 06:43 PM
Bonecrusher2099 Bonecrusher2099 is offline
Registered User
Location: Indianapolis
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2
Mein Auto: 2003 540i,2001 530i
hello everyone im a new member!

im having trouble with my 03 540i i was having the alarm problem and now my key wont lock/unlock plus everytime i wanna drive i gotta give my car a jump..im tired of it and i'd like to get some advise before i unload my ak-47 on the damm car, thats not all..like someone said my car has gone "transport mode" and i dont know what to do u guys!! please advise...oooh by the way i tried disconecting the hood switch and nothing happened..also removed the alarm fuse..

Last edited by Bonecrusher2099; 12-07-2009 at 06:49 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 12-15-2009, 11:56 PM
ntsimal ntsimal is offline
Registered User
Location: Botswana
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 3
Mein Auto: BMW E39 540iA 2001
hi, guys i have e39 540IA 2001 model this car gives me sleepless night first was the alarm just going off for no reason and later the remote will lock the car sometimes and of late the remote will not lock the car. i checked the fuse in the trunck its fine, checked the gas door after locking the car with key and its locked. i tried to programme the keys, got inside the close all doors turn key on and off within 5sec press the unlock button and press the lock button three times nothing happened


please help
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 02-23-2010, 03:40 PM
Touring Dude's Avatar
Touring Dude Touring Dude is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Glendale, CA
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 649
Send a message via MSN to Touring Dude
Mein Auto: 2003 525iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonecrusher2099 View Post
im having trouble with my 03 540i i was having the alarm problem and now my key wont lock/unlock plus everytime i wanna drive i gotta give my car a jump..im tired of it and i'd like to get some advise before i unload my ak-47 on the damm car, thats not all..like someone said my car has gone "transport mode" and i dont know what to do u guys!! please advise...oooh by the way i tried disconecting the hood switch and nothing happened..also removed the alarm fuse..
What a long lasting thread I created here!
Bonecrusher, sounds like you have a bad battery, have you checked that? Besides having to jump the car, a bad battery will wreak havoc with the alarm system.

Randy
__________________
2003 525iT 5 Speed Sport Package Japan Red
1992 525iT Island Green SOLD!!!!!!

BMWCCA Member #104602

"View My Garage" for all my other toys

Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 07-13-2010, 03:02 PM
FusionZ06 FusionZ06 is offline
Registered User
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 29
Mein Auto: 2003 540i Sport
I just wanted to also add that I am having alarm issues with my 2003 540i Sport.

The alarm started going off constantly. It finally stopped going off but now the lights just flash like crazy. My guess is the siren stopped working Either way now the key fob stopped working and only pops the trunk...Seriously frustrating. Is there a separate fuse for the siren? It's possible mine popped from how much it was going off. Also, I noticed the alarm going off more when it was windy.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 07-13-2010, 04:04 PM
Touring Dude's Avatar
Touring Dude Touring Dude is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Glendale, CA
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 649
Send a message via MSN to Touring Dude
Mein Auto: 2003 525iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by FusionZ06 View Post
I just wanted to also add that I am having alarm issues with my 2003 540i Sport.

The alarm started going off constantly. It finally stopped going off but now the lights just flash like crazy. My guess is the siren stopped working Either way now the key fob stopped working and only pops the trunk...Seriously frustrating. Is there a separate fuse for the siren? It's possible mine popped from how much it was going off. Also, I noticed the alarm going off more when it was windy.
Sounds like a key fob issue, have you used that key fob lately? It charges up when you drive, if it dies, I think you have to replace it. Do you have the second fob?

Check your owners manual, I'm pretty sure there is a way to turn off the motion sensor when it's windy.
__________________
2003 525iT 5 Speed Sport Package Japan Red
1992 525iT Island Green SOLD!!!!!!

BMWCCA Member #104602

"View My Garage" for all my other toys

Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 07-13-2010, 07:06 PM
ProRail ProRail is offline
"Clunker" *****
Location: Columbia MD
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 4,599
Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 528A--165K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Touring Dude View Post
Sounds like a key fob issue, have you used that key fob lately? It charges up when you drive, if it dies, I think you have to replace it. Do you have the second fob?

Check your owners manual, I'm pretty sure there is a way to turn off the motion sensor when it's windy.
As far as I know, all Bimmer alarms since the late 90s have a way to turn off the motion and tilt detectors so that the car can be towed or have tires changed without unlocking the car. Again AFAIK this is always done by pressing the buttom one more time after locking the car. The manual is a little unclear about how to do this but it can be ascertained with a little experimentation.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 07-13-2010, 08:58 PM
540 M-Sport's Avatar
540 M-Sport 540 M-Sport is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Seattle, WA
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 4,942
Mein Auto: 01' 540 M-Sport cdn, F355
+1, I was having some issue with my car not unlocking the doors or opening the trunk with the key fob....sort of intermittent. I swapped to the spare that is practically new, never used, and now everything is fine. I also had some alarm issues as well, with it randomly going off. I replaced the hood switch, and also added a little piece of adhesive foam under the hood liner where it contacts the switch, just so it presses down a bit more (a suggestion from a BMW tech friend). All good now.
__________________
Factory M-Sport package with factory installed M-tech bumpers, factory Bluetooth, factory M-Audio 10" dual voice coil subs, Homelink, M5 rear stabilizer bar, Bilstein B14 PSS coil overs, Stop Tech ss brake lines, Akebono Euro Ceramic brake pads, oem Brembo and Zimmerman rotors, Dinan Stage 1 software, Strong Strut front upper stress bar.
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 07-21-2010, 07:09 PM
87vert's Avatar
87vert 87vert is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Pittsburgh,PA
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 339
Mein Auto: '02 BMW 525i
So the other day the alarm went off during a heavy rain my 02 525 I thought nothing of it. When I got into the car next I noticed the rear floor boards were wet and I could hear water sloshing in the rear ac. Yesterday I used the shop vac to try to dry up as much water as I could and then left the car in the sun. Well after I did that the alarm went off about three times over a 4 hour period. The alarm usually sounds and the lights flash but then it goes silent and the lights stop after about 5-10 seconds but then they start up again about a minute later till I unlock the car

Also sometimes when I lock / unlock it does not chirp but the lights flash.

Just now the alarm went off 3 times within 15 mintues I unplugged the hood sensor and it went off again about 2 minutes after that.

I have been locking it with the double lock press and I see the red light flash to confirm but it still goes off.

Any ideas? Car battery? The water that was in the floor boards get it to some connector?
__________________
'02 525i - Titanium Gray
Blitz Safe AUX Audio Connector


Last edited by 87vert; 07-21-2010 at 07:10 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #61  
Old 07-22-2010, 10:29 AM
87vert's Avatar
87vert 87vert is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Pittsburgh,PA
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 339
Mein Auto: '02 BMW 525i
I am thinking it is the battery as it is the original from the car and since the alarm horn keeps going out.
__________________
'02 525i - Titanium Gray
Blitz Safe AUX Audio Connector

Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 07-22-2010, 11:07 AM
Touring Dude's Avatar
Touring Dude Touring Dude is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Glendale, CA
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 649
Send a message via MSN to Touring Dude
Mein Auto: 2003 525iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87vert View Post
I am thinking it is the battery as it is the original from the car and since the alarm horn keeps going out.
Are you having any dead battery starting issues?
__________________
2003 525iT 5 Speed Sport Package Japan Red
1992 525iT Island Green SOLD!!!!!!

BMWCCA Member #104602

"View My Garage" for all my other toys

Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 07-22-2010, 11:25 AM
87vert's Avatar
87vert 87vert is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Pittsburgh,PA
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 339
Mein Auto: '02 BMW 525i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Touring Dude View Post
Are you having any dead battery starting issues?
No have never had any problems starting the car. It pretty much sits M-F every week but so far it has started every time on the weekend.
__________________
'02 525i - Titanium Gray
Blitz Safe AUX Audio Connector

Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 07-22-2010, 03:48 PM
87vert's Avatar
87vert 87vert is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Pittsburgh,PA
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 339
Mein Auto: '02 BMW 525i
changed the battery (duralast 49DL), came home set the alarm and 5 minutes later it was going off.

I pulled the fuse for now but I would like to get this fixed. Any other ideas?

on a side note I found a http://blitzsafe.com/catalog/bmw/bmw...1/prod_41.html was installed LOL. Now I can use my iPhone.
__________________
'02 525i - Titanium Gray
Blitz Safe AUX Audio Connector

Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 07-24-2010, 10:42 PM
Touring Dude's Avatar
Touring Dude Touring Dude is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Glendale, CA
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 649
Send a message via MSN to Touring Dude
Mein Auto: 2003 525iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87vert View Post
changed the battery (duralast 49DL), came home set the alarm and 5 minutes later it was going off.

I pulled the fuse for now but I would like to get this fixed. Any other ideas?

on a side note I found a http://blitzsafe.com/catalog/bmw/bmw...1/prod_41.html was installed LOL. Now I can use my iPhone.
Sounds like your problem is more that the usual hood switch issue. I would suspect the water that got in the car may be the problem. You any good at electrical problems? You may have to start chasing electrons.........
__________________
2003 525iT 5 Speed Sport Package Japan Red
1992 525iT Island Green SOLD!!!!!!

BMWCCA Member #104602

"View My Garage" for all my other toys

Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 07-24-2010, 10:59 PM
BonFireKrissy BonFireKrissy is offline
Registered User
Location: Brandon, FL
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 33
Send a message via Yahoo to BonFireKrissy Send a message via Skype™ to BonFireKrissy
Mein Auto: 00 BMW 528i 01 Acura MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeOut View Post
This morning, I found my hardwired radar detector hanging off the windshield (stupid suction-cups). So I'm now thinking that the alarm was triggered by the motion sensor when the radar detector fell off the windshield. But, the jury is still out.
that would be quite funny if that were the case all along...I know my gps holder falls sometimes too
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 07-24-2010, 11:03 PM
BonFireKrissy BonFireKrissy is offline
Registered User
Location: Brandon, FL
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 33
Send a message via Yahoo to BonFireKrissy Send a message via Skype™ to BonFireKrissy
Mein Auto: 00 BMW 528i 01 Acura MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87vert View Post
So the other day the alarm went off during a heavy rain my 02 525 I thought nothing of it. When I got into the car next I noticed the rear floor boards were wet and I could hear water sloshing in the rear ac. Yesterday I used the shop vac to try to dry up as much water as I could and then left the car in the sun. Well after I did that the alarm went off about three times over a 4 hour period. The alarm usually sounds and the lights flash but then it goes silent and the lights stop after about 5-10 seconds but then they start up again about a minute later till I unlock the car

Also sometimes when I lock / unlock it does not chirp but the lights flash.

Just now the alarm went off 3 times within 15 mintues I unplugged the hood sensor and it went off again about 2 minutes after that.

I have been locking it with the double lock press and I see the red light flash to confirm but it still goes off.

Any ideas? Car battery? The water that was in the floor boards get it to some connector?
my rear passenger floorboard was getting wet during rainstorms and car washing...found out it was the door seal needed to be replaced! hope that helps a little!
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 07-25-2010, 07:01 AM
87vert's Avatar
87vert 87vert is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Pittsburgh,PA
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 339
Mein Auto: '02 BMW 525i
I disconnected the inclination sensor and so far the alarm as not gone off with the other two sensors connected. I will leave that one disconnected for a few more days and see if that is it.

It is located in the LH side of the trunk behind the amp or disc changer.

There's no other electrical problems in the car and I got all the water out of the car. (shop vac and a sham-wow.)
__________________
'02 525i - Titanium Gray
Blitz Safe AUX Audio Connector

Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 07-25-2010, 02:40 PM
Touring Dude's Avatar
Touring Dude Touring Dude is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Glendale, CA
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 649
Send a message via MSN to Touring Dude
Mein Auto: 2003 525iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87vert View Post
I disconnected the inclination sensor and so far the alarm as not gone off with the other two sensors connected. I will leave that one disconnected for a few more days and see if that is it.

It is located in the LH side of the trunk behind the amp or disc changer.

There's no other electrical problems in the car and I got all the water out of the car. (shop vac and a sham-wow.)
That could be the problem, sensors do go bad sometimes.
Good Luck!
__________________
2003 525iT 5 Speed Sport Package Japan Red
1992 525iT Island Green SOLD!!!!!!

BMWCCA Member #104602

"View My Garage" for all my other toys

Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 07-25-2010, 02:57 PM
87vert's Avatar
87vert 87vert is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Pittsburgh,PA
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 339
Mein Auto: '02 BMW 525i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Touring Dude View Post
That could be the problem, sensors do go bad sometimes.
Good Luck!
no alarm so far. every now and then when I lock / unlock it does not chirp so I don't know if the alarm siren is also going bad.
__________________
'02 525i - Titanium Gray
Blitz Safe AUX Audio Connector

Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 07-26-2010, 06:52 AM
e39fanaticnyc e39fanaticnyc is offline
Registered User
Location: New York
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3
Mein Auto: e39 5 series
hey, i had that problem to, it can possibly be the lock on the hood of the car that needs to get replaced, theres a little button or switch where when the hood closes it catchs something to sit on, that can go bad over time. thats all i know, so there u have it, best of luck.
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 07-28-2010, 10:57 AM
kipsE36 kipsE36 is offline
Registered User
Location: Mooresville, NC
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 67
Mein Auto: 1992 BMW 325i
Can someone post a pic of the hood switch?
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 03-12-2011, 02:06 PM
jamesdc4 jamesdc4 is offline
Registered User
Location: West Michigan
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 38
Mein Auto: 1998 540iA (Mfr 11/97)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kipsE36 View Post
Can someone post a pic of the hood switch?
I know this is seven months old, but for anyone searching...
Why does my alarm keep going off for no reason?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 03-12-2011, 02:24 PM
bluebee's Avatar
bluebee bluebee is offline
Seek to understand,^Value
Location: San Jose, California
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 21,229
Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesdc4 View Post
That's an excellent thread.

In fact, in the VERY best of E39 Links, we have your thread (and a few others) referenced for folks looking at alarm problems in the future:

- How to understand the BMW E39 EWS alarm drive-away protection system (1) (2) & troubleshoot the alarm & hood switch (1) (2) (3) (4) or replace the siren (1) or disable the unlock chirp (1) (2)
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 12-05-2012, 06:03 PM
yttrup yttrup is offline
Registered User
Location: California
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 51
Mein Auto: '01 BMW 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by QSilver7 View Post
I noticed something about a month ago about the hood alarm switch.

If yours is acting up...it may not be the switch's fault...it might be from the insulation on the hood. If you lower your hood slowly, you'll notice that the tip of the hood switch DOES NOT touch any of the exposed metal on the hood...but actually pushes up into the insulation on the hood.

If you look closely at the insulation just above the exposed metal section of the hood (where the microfilters would be located on the e38 7 series)...and it is worn away...this could be what's causing the hood sensor to false trigger the alarm siren. The switch may not be pressed down far enough.
You just saved me the cost of a new hood switch, thanks!

I took my insulation off a couple months back because it was beginning to sag and was touching the engine cover which had allowed the silver paint to be burned off of the cover and onto the insulation. Since then, I've had the same issue with my alarm going off seemingly at random and this has to be the best reason for as to why that would be that I've heard yet. I'm going to see if I can't either make the old insulation work or buy another piece that's either new or used but in better shape.
__________________

Justin Y./2001 540i/Cosmosschwarz Met./California
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to completely remove glove box (2003 E39) gixxer E39 (1997 - 2003) 1 07-20-2005 07:21 AM
Thinking of building a house? Here's my experiences... (very long) OBS3SSION Off-Topic 26 01-21-2005 11:41 PM
E46 Alarm FAQ !! swchang 3 Series / 4 Series 30 11-24-2004 12:11 AM
alarm activation w/o alarm swchang 3 Series / 4 Series 14 01-25-2004 10:29 PM
Ward's 2003 top engine list - 3.0 & 3.2L JPinTO General BMW 10 04-01-2003 08:12 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms