Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

E46 M3 (2001-2006)

Old 02-01-2006, 08:56 AM

Mein Auto: M3 E46
BMW M3 E46 CSL In America

Hey Guys,

I am asking for any advice or help on the following issue. I was in Europe last summer and fell in love with the beautiful CSL. The entire fall I worked on a way to bring in this car into the U.S. There seem to be different ways to approach this situation, but I could not find any reasonable priced ways nor a truly easy way. Another aspect is I am German citizen and could drive it her for up to one year with the I-B20 form (if anybody knows abou that - but after 12 month I would have to take the car back to Europe). So please, if anybody knows anything about importing cars in special concern to the CSL, I would love to hear any suggestions.

I very appreciate any advice
Thx, your CSL Fanatik
Advertisement
Old 02-01-2006, 09:05 AM
///Mpty pockets

Mein Auto: wankermatic
There is a reason you don't see foreign market cars in the US....there is no way to do it easily and certainly not for a reasonable price.
Old 02-01-2006, 09:05 AM
Do the interns get Glocks

Send a message via AIM to LmtdSlip
Mein Auto: 325iC
Just for the sake of argument...what happens if you import the car under the "I-B20" rule and let the one year expire?

Does INS become involved?
Who do you have to show proof that you shipped the car back?

Edit: Alternatively you could save a ton of $$ and just do some of the cosmetic and performance upgrades from the car on a standard US Spec E46.

Photobucket

Last edited by LmtdSlip; 02-01-2006 at 09:09 AM.
Old 02-01-2006, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LmtdSlip
Just for the sake of argument...what happens if you import the car under the "I-B20" rule and let the one year expire?

Does INS become involved?
Who do you have to show proof that you shipped the car back?

Edit: Alternatively you could save a ton of $$ and just do some of the cosmetic and performance upgrades from the car on a standard US Spec E46.

Only Non-citizens can bring in a car up to 12 month on and I-B20 form, but in this form they record visa and Passport #, so it would not be smart to break this contract. Thank you for your thoughts though, and I am very pleased with the E46 I enjoy at the moment. But guys, the CSL is in a world of its own that no other BWM can match - you just gotta love it
Old 02-01-2006, 04:42 PM
Registered lunatic.

Mein Auto: M-Sport twins.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bren
There is a reason you don't see foreign market cars in the US....there is no way to do it easily and certainly not for a reasonable price.
Expand upon this? Is it because certain euro-spec cars are not US-emission certified or are there other issues? I figured, with no knowledge, that if the steering wheel was on the left and the emissions were at least 49 state certified, then it would be no different than having standard ED on an standard BMW. Given all the crappiness to the M5's crippled LC, my future plans were to buy the euro-spec one (with the proper LC) and then bring it home

CSL-fanatic - Exactly how much does the CSL differ from the standard M3 as far as driving performance? Does being made of lightweight materials alter the 50/50 driving dynamics?
Old 02-01-2006, 05:43 PM
///M forum moderator

Mein Auto: 88 E30 M3.2, 08 451
Ain't gonna happen without butchering the car.

Lots of things have to be changed...a figure I have heard is at least $10-15k to get it (a Euro spec BMW) legal in the US and even then some jsut won't make it (ask Ben Liaw about his E36 M3 GT).
Old 02-01-2006, 05:47 PM

Mein Auto: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by LmtdSlip
Those cosmetic upgrades would increase the weight of the car, which puts it even farther away from the CSL.
Old 02-01-2006, 06:10 PM

CSL-fanatic - Exactly how much does the CSL differ from the standard M3 as far as driving performance? Does being made of lightweight materials alter the 50/50 driving dynamics?[/QUOTE]

When I drove it this Winter I was more than impressed with the CSL.. Not only is it much lighter, has a quicker gearbox and more horses; the tires have an ubelievable amount of grip and the stiffer suspension allows you to hug every corner. The racing seats keep you in place and what is the very best part; the sound of the engine. Where the standard is rather quiet the CSL warms your heart with outstanding music. It would take long to list all the CFC details, and all the new electronics (launch control up to 155 mph for instance), but it is outstanding in every way. I figured to bring it in costs about 7 to 10k, I am just not sure what exaclty I have to watch out for and where I can get more info. I appreciate your guy's opinion - hopefully the 2011 CSL will arrive here.

Greets all
Old 02-01-2006, 06:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 M3 Convertable
The tires are not meant for wet weather I believe. The show Top Gear in the UK indicated you had to sign a waiver indicating you understood that the tires were designed for dry pavement. Not sure what that means in wet weather.

Last edited by jeffreys48; 02-01-2006 at 06:33 PM.
Old 02-01-2006, 08:13 PM
Registered lunatic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSL-Fanatik
The entire fall I worked on a way to bring in this car into the U.S. There seem to be different ways to approach this situation, but I could not find any reasonable priced ways nor a truly easy way.
What was the price range / difficulty for the possible methods that you did find?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreys48
you had to sign a waiver indicating you understood that the tires were designed for dry pavement. Not sure what that means in wet weather.
It means the "German Camaro" turns into the American Camaro in the rain
Old 02-02-2006, 12:17 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: M3 CSL, Golf IV
Smile

I'm no expert however I do own a CSL.

I put up a new website 3 weeks ago.

Maybe some questions can be answered. If you have any that are FAQ worthy please do ask.

Old 02-03-2006, 06:30 AM

Mein Auto: M3s
The two federal agencies that govern the use of cars in the US are the EPA and the DOT. They will only work with registered importers (RI) on federalizing cars. Look up a registered importer and give them a call - they are a business like any other. I think you will find total cost to be around $80k (taxes, fees, federalization) to make it US street legal and registerable on top of the price of the car. However, the final product will be less CSL and more US M3.

You could bring it over as a race car, but is illegal for use on public roads. Also, if you are considering circumventing the law, go to EPAs site and read about the many prosecutions that occur.
Old 02-03-2006, 07:09 AM
Do the interns get Glocks

Send a message via AIM to LmtdSlip
Mein Auto: 325iC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boile
Those cosmetic upgrades would increase the weight of the car, which puts it even farther away from the CSL.
How is that?

Arent there CF parts (i.e. airbox) and the wheels are forged so they weigh less than the standard 19" M3 wheels. The bumper covers and supports are lighter. Seats are significantly lighter. The trunk lid, assuming you could get one, is much lighter and has the integrated rear spoiler.

All in all the cosmetic parts are probably lighter than standard issue M3 parts.

There is about 243# difference between the CSL and US spec M3.

Photobucket
Old 02-03-2006, 09:42 AM
Registered lunatic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_Apex
The two federal agencies that govern the use of cars in the US are the EPA and the DOT. They will only work with registered importers (RI) on federalizing cars. Look up a registered importer and give them a call - they are a business like any other.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/...t01092006.html

Edit: And for taking another $80 grand to make the CSL US legal, you'd be better off making an M3 into a CSL and not tell anyone

Last edited by E60orBust; 02-03-2006 at 09:45 AM.
Old 02-03-2006, 11:27 PM

Send a message via AIM to DaKine
Mein Auto: 2002 M Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boile
Not at all...

Carbon Fiber Hood & CSL Trunk Lid; those would save weight. CSL Carbon Fiber airbox would add some horsepower (and cost an arm and a leg). Racing shells, rather than the huge, heavy stock seats, would save a ton of weight. That names a few of the improvements, and there are SO many more....
Old 02-04-2006, 06:42 PM

Mein Auto: e46 m3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaKine
Not at all...

Carbon Fiber Hood & CSL Trunk Lid; those would save weight. CSL Carbon Fiber airbox would add some horsepower (and cost an arm and a leg). Racing shells, rather than the huge, heavy stock seats, would save a ton of weight. That names a few of the improvements, and there are SO many more....
different headers, cams, software, the csl airbox requires alpha N which i heard is expensive and unreliable for street use
Old 02-05-2006, 01:08 AM

Send a message via AIM to DaKine
Mein Auto: 2002 M Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Socale46
different headers, cams, software, the csl airbox requires alpha N which i heard is expensive and unreliable for street use
Very expensive, to say the least. Motec costs over $8k (I beleive) and you are going to have to spend a TON of money on Dyno time to get it tuned properly.

I don't know about it's level of reliability, though. I am sure it can be done well enough.
Old 02-08-2006, 11:50 PM

Mein Auto: M3 CSL, Golf IV
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socale46
The CSL Alpha N Airbox system is not at all unreliable for street use. Where did you hear that?

Old 02-09-2006, 12:30 AM

Mein Auto: The Best of Both Worlds
I know \some people that import Skylines and 240's from Japan, he said something about a new law prohibiting shipping the cars here with their engines intact. He said that every car that he ships in, the motor and tranny have to be pulled out, shipped and dropped back in to it in the states. Im sure there are ways to bring the car here as a track car, then find a salvaged or totaled E46 M3, and swap the titles.
Old 02-09-2006, 01:18 AM

Mein Auto: bmw
Not entirely off topic...but there was a Dixis tuned M3 CSL at Buttonwillow track (California) last November.

http://www.dixis.jp/redhotnews/20051116/index.html

Technik Engineering ASA Stage 1 Supercharged E46 M54B25.
NASA TTD So Cal. Track blog: VSETrack

Old 02-09-2006, 12:35 PM
Lawyer turned Artist...

Mein Auto: 95M3/M3 ZCP/05 ALLROAD V8
You want to drive a CSL in the US without any hassles? Become a diplomat.
You'll be able to buy the CSL at a ridiculous price, save taxes, drive it as long as you're posted here
and not worry about tickets going on your record...
Old 02-10-2006, 07:24 PM
Registered lunatic.

That link is to a google top gear video of the M3 CSL. I can see why he is in love with the car
Old 03-05-2006, 07:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 m3
csl

if you feel in love with only the look and no performance why don't you buy a base pac and buy the bumpers and trunk.
Old 03-06-2006, 02:10 PM

Mein Auto: 98 m3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DINANISR3
I know \some people that import Skylines and 240's from Japan, he said something about a new law prohibiting shipping the cars here with their engines intact. He said that every car that he ships in, the motor and tranny have to be pulled out, shipped and dropped back in to it in the states. Im sure there are ways to bring the car here as a track car, then find a salvaged or totaled E46 M3, and swap the titles.
I know a few people involved in this sort of thing and when shipping the they cars, and by no means is it easy, they ship motor and trans seprate from the body. The body is shipped more or less as either a race car or a scrapped car. Put everything together, maybe get a salvage title. Then there's always the para legal methods of using different VINs from maybe a salvaged E46 M3, or just seeing how much you can get away with at the DMV or auto club. I had a 74 Porsche that I didn't want to smog so I told them it was a 71 and through this and that, (its easy to convince them, just use a lot of tech terms)
I got it registered as a 71 and no smog. There are ways, and they dont have to cost 80k, I would advise talking to some of the skyline guys.
Old 03-20-2006, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by white E46
if you feel in love with only the look and no performance why don't you buy a base pac and buy the bumpers and trunk.

Well, despite the different spoilers, rimms, exhausts, etc. (which provide more of a sports car look), it does drive like a dream. A cosmic time of 7:50 min around the Nuerburgring proves that, which is the very same time as a Mercedes-Benz SLR, or a 911 Turbo for instance.

I appreciate all comments and advice and in fact I have heard of taking out the engine and dropping it back in once the car is in the US. However, this again drives up the costs and shipping is expensive enough.
But I will try to get a hold of Skyline importers to receive more information.

I will let you know what I find out.

Thanks