Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36/7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 Roadster, Z3 coupe, Z3 M Roadster and Z3 M Coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 02-02-2006, 04:45 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 m roadster
Dead battery and I've lost the security code.

Is it possible to retrieve the security code with out taking it to the dealer.

Thanks for the help
Advertisement
Old 02-02-2006, 07:18 PM
///M Practical

Mein Auto: 00 M Roadster
You'll need to obtain the radio's serial number by either pulling it to read it on the back or by following this procedure:

http://24.206.239.35/mystery.htm

Then take the serial number to your dealer with proof of ownership if necessary and they can obtain the code for you. There are usually two security codes for the same serial number, depending upon whether the radio was made by Alpine or Blaupunkt. I've had no trouble obtaining both serial numbers for the radios on two Z3s.
Old 02-02-2006, 07:49 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 M coupe
I don't think you will be able to avoid asking the dealer for the code. I'm not aware of anyone else that could provide it. To get the serial number, hold down the "m" button on your radio for about 5 seconds and it should display the code. It worked on mine. Is your radio displaying CODE ---- or CODE WAIT ? If the latter, it means that an incorrect code has been entered and will require a different procedure.

Here's a thread I recently started on the same topic:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=128037
1993 Porsche 911 RS America
1976 Triumph TR6
2001 Ford F250 crew cab 4x4 diesel (track support/tow vehicle)
Old 02-04-2006, 10:59 AM

Thanks for the reply's. I did the procedure and instead of S/N,I get " AREA USA". I removed the unit, but not sure out of all the numbers which one is the S/N. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 02-04-2006, 04:02 PM

Send a message via AIM to ludespeedny Send a message via Yahoo to ludespeedny
Mein Auto: 01 Z3 2.5
if you hold down the m button on the radio you will get the s/n. THen call the dealer and give him the serial and he can give you the code over the phone. I did this last week and didn't cost me a thing. There will probably be 2 codes one for blaupunkt and one for Alpine. Blaupunkt worked for me, but it may be different for you. PS If the first try doesn't work try the second number. If that doesn't work call the dealer and ask for the numbers again, and maybe they will *find* more. This way you shouldnt get locked out of the radio and have to wait. Let me know if you want my dealers number LOL.
Old 02-04-2006, 04:38 PM

When I hold the M utton down I get " AREA USA" and after about 15 sec. it goes back to CODE ----- .
Old 02-04-2006, 09:36 PM
///M Practical

Mein Auto: 00 M Roadster
Your serial number should contain an x and seven digits. Get your security code from the dealer and see if that will work. I've never had the "Area USA" appear when disconnecting and reconnecting the battery cable on either of my Z3s.
Old 02-05-2006, 07:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 Z3 3.0i
Radio Code and Other Displays

I think the information below will help you get past the "Area USA" display. To scroll through the various displays press the + button on the left upper portion of the radio.

The following is from my 2002 3.0i Z3. Other Z3's I've had display slightly different information as you scroll through the functions.

Radio Security Code and Programming/Service Mode

The "Radio Code" is an antitheft device. If someone steals the radio the code must be entered to activate the radio. Likewise, if the car's battery goes dead or is disconnected for safety reasons during service the radio will prompt you to enter the code when power is re-applied.

The radio will display:

CODE - - - - -

Enter the 5-digit Radio Code using the radios preset buttons. This number also appears on your Radio Code card assuming you have one.

After entering the fifth digit press the > button and the radio will activate. Any presets you had before the power loss will return. Apparently a capacitor in the radio holds that information.

To retrieve your radio's serial number without removing it from the dash. Enter the radio's programming/service mode. To do this, turn on the radio then, hold down the M button on the left lower portion of the radio's faceplate for about 10 seconds. The display will change to the radio's serial number. To scroll through the various displays press the + button on the left upper portion of the radio. To get out of programming/service mode turn the radio off by pressing the volume control.

The following information is not in the radio owner's manual.

When in programming/service mode you can scroll through a variety of displays. The only display of any real importance is the GAL. There is no information about GAL in the owner's manual. Please read below.

The following displays are available:

SN 19941629 – appears on the Radio Code card
GI 45
GAL 4
HI 321403
> SIM 111100D
> SIP 141401
Station Signal Strength is Displayed
DSP 0 V 00
AREA USA
VIEW 3
AF MAN
###########
(blank display – see explanation below)

Explanations of Radio Display Symbols
SN is the serial number of the radio itself needed to get the Radio Code if you lose the card. Contact a BMW dealer, tell them the radio serial number and show your registration. They will get your code from their computer

GI – no idea

GAL (adjustable 1,2,3,4,5,6 using radio preset buttons). This sets the speed sensitive volume control. The higher the number the loader the radio volume automatically becomes as you hit 40mph. It compensates for wind noise due to the top being down. When you slow to below 40mph it returns to your original (idle) setting. I have used it as high as 5 in summer and turned it down to 4 in winter when the top is up. Set to best meet your needs.

HI – no idea. When in this mode pressing the > arrow the display changes to
SIM – no idea - push > again and it changes to
SIP – no idea

Station signal strength is displayed – you can change the station and the display will show you the signal strength of that station.

DSP probably means Dolby Surround Processing, or Digital Signal Processor, DSP does not apply to this model radio in a Z3.

AREA is adjusted using the preset button 1. Area refers to the country where the radio is to be used. Pressing preset button 1 scrolls through the following options; USA, CANADA, OC+RDS (no idea), JAPAN, NO AREA, EUROPE. Note, the tuning increments change based on the country. In the USA, all FM frequencies end in odd numbers i.e.: 101.5 and 98.7. I other countries FM and AM increments are different.

VIEW (adjustable 1,2,3,4 using the preset buttons) 3 is brightest other than that I have no idea.

AF Auto (something)? Well, I know it doesn't stand for Auto Focus.

########### Blank display used to test the LEDs. By pressing radio presets 1, 2, 3, 4 the display scrolls through a set of patterns so that any bad LEDs are easy to see.

TommyZ3
2002 3.0i
Sterling Gray/Black/Black

Dinan Strut Brace
No CDV
Whalen Shift Machine
Centric Posi Quiet Ceramic Brake Pads
DIY Clutch Stop
In-Dash Garage Door Opener

Last edited by TommyZ3; 02-05-2006 at 09:27 AM.
Old 02-09-2006, 05:22 PM

Tommyz3........... Thank you so very much for the info on getting the s/n from the radio. The + key did the trick.
Old 02-09-2006, 06:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 530i
Serial # too short?

I too need my serial # in order to get my radio code. I was able to get the # from my nav display by using the methods listed here. I took the code and proof of ownership to my dealer and they told me the number is too short and it won't work in their system to retrieve the code. Has anyone else ran into this problem? I hate to think I'm going to need to pull out the radio in order to get it (I don't feel like giving the dealer the $$ to get it for me).

Does this seem right, or do you think my dealer does not know what they are doing?
Old 02-10-2006, 06:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 Z3 3.0i
A few things:

1. If you have the wrong number they should give you a method for retrieving the number. Assuming they know a better way to do it. Other than pulling the radio.

2. Ask them to contact BMWNA Service Support (they are the corporate folks that help the service people help you) and check the serial number you retrieved with them. I once went to the dealer with the serial number retrieved using the method above and they put it in their dealership computer and the code number it returned did not work. The service rep called BMWNA Service Support and they did a search, came up with two numbers. One was the same as we already had, the other was different. The new number worked. Most likely the Alpine vs. Blaupunkt brand issue. Some BMW branded radios are manufactured by two or more different companies.

3. Never assume that the dealer’s statement "the code is too short" is correct. I would bring the service manager out to the car, go into the radio and show him the serial number as it appears on your display, then have them call BMWNA Service Support. There may be prefix or suffix that they don't know about.

Good Luck.

TommyZ3
2002 3.0i
Sterling Gray/Black/Black

Dinan Strut Brace
No CDV
Whalen Shift Machine
Centric Posi Quiet Ceramic Brake Pads
DIY Clutch Stop
In-Dash Garage Door Opener
Old 02-10-2006, 08:54 AM
Warning - Thin Air

Mein Auto: 2002 M Roadster/2014 435i
I think the dealer needs to add a prefix to the number displayed. The prefix is manufacture dependent. If you don't know the manufacture, I suggest you have them pull it for all manufactures that way if one doesn't work, maybe the other will.
Old 02-21-2006, 01:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 bmwz3
tommyz3 I have a 2001 bmwz3 with a blaupunkt radio and i replaced my battery two months ago and i've gone to many dealerships, blaupunkt usa and germany and i can't get the code for my radio. they say i have to buy a new radio... screw them... you have any codes for me or suggestion for me... i need a code...
Old 02-21-2006, 09:26 PM

Mein Auto: M Roadster
Do you have a manual that came with the car? I have been amazed at how many folks had it with them and did not know where to find it.
Old 02-22-2006, 10:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 bmwz3
i bought the car used and it didn't come with a owners manual. i'd be all set if it did...
Old 02-22-2006, 10:54 AM

Mein Auto: M Roadster
That would be too easy but I've helped a couple folks that had the manual.
Old 03-21-2010, 10:45 AM

Mein Auto: 1995 525i
i do not have an M button 1995 525i factory radio
Old 03-21-2010, 10:51 AM

Mein Auto: 1995 525i
is M same as Mode
Old 03-21-2010, 11:01 AM
stlbmw

Mein Auto: 2002 745Li/1999 528i
On my 02 745Li, will I need to enter a "code" after I hook my battery back up to get the radio to work ?
Don't have an owners manual. On the 7 is the process the same as above ?

stlbmw

2002 745Li

1999 528i