Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)

E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
E85 Z4 Roadster, E86 Z4 Coupe, E85 Z4 M Roadster, and E86 Z4 M Coupe talk with our BMW gurus here.

Old 07-18-2016, 02:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 Z4 3.0
Doors won't open

Here's a strange one. This happens occasionally on my '03 3.0. Both doors are unlocked. The problem is they just will not open. The only way in is to use my key to open the windows or lower the top and then open the doors with the inside handle. This goes on for a day or two. Then, mysteriously, the problem heals itself. That is until the next time. Is this mechanical or electrical? I'm sure my dealer would love to change the whole lock mechanism. Anyone else experience this?
Advertisement
Old 07-18-2016, 05:46 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 04 Z4 3.0
The relays in your GM5 module are starting to fail.
Old 07-19-2016, 04:50 AM

Mein Auto: BMW Z4
sounds like my Z4 where are the GM% modules located and are they an easy replacement.
Old 07-19-2016, 07:08 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 04 Z4 3.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by arend003 View Post
sounds like my Z4 where are the GM% modules located and are they an easy replacement.
The GM5 module is a white box screwed into the backside of the passenger kick panel under the glovebox. You can send it out for repair or do it yourself if you're handy with a soldering iron.

Check out https://www.bmwgm5.com/
Old 07-19-2016, 09:08 AM

Mein Auto: '07 Z4M Roadster
If by "both doors are unlocked" do you mean that the button on each door is in the up position? If so, then how can this be a G5 issue? (more likely a bowden cable issue, but both going bad at the same time....unlikely).
Old 07-19-2016, 09:14 AM

Doors won't open

Yes, the button is in the up position, unlocked. I pull the exterior handle up but the door remains "locked."
Old 07-19-2016, 09:56 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Send a message via ICQ to dc_wright
Mein Auto: '06 Z4 3.0si, '11 128CiC
Quote:
Originally Posted by elerner61 View Post
If by "both doors are unlocked" do you mean that the button on each door is in the up position? If so, then how can this be a G5 issue? (more likely a bowden cable issue, but both going bad at the same time....unlikely).

When the relay contacts start to fail the drive to the lock actuator is marginal and it unlocks the mechanical 1st lock which pops up the buttons but stalls before it moves sufficiently to unlock the secondary lock. A similar failure happens on the E36, but it's the lock actuator that's the issue.
Old 07-19-2016, 04:50 PM
Underway on Nuclear Power

Mein Auto: Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by elerner61 View Post
This is a correct assessment...

The GM5 module has nothing to do with unlatching the mechanism after the lock are disengaged (unlocked).
Furthermore, does legality establish morality?
Slavery was legal; apartheid was legal; Stalinist, Nazi, and Maoist purges were legal. Clearly, the fact of legality does not justify these crimes. Legality, alone, cannot be the talisman of morel people. - Walter E. Williams
Old 07-20-2016, 08:40 AM

So from DC and Ship's latest responses here's an additional assessment. If the OP is seeing the same symptom (door does not open with outside handle) on both doors then since the probability of both Bowden cables going bad at the same time is very low this is more likely a G5 issue.
Old 07-20-2016, 08:49 AM

Doors won't open

To complicate matters, sometimes it's only one door, usually driver's side. Then it'll clear itself and be fine for months.
Old 07-20-2016, 11:06 AM

I do not understand how, if the door is already unlocked, it is a GM5 issue. The only electrical component to the door latch/lock mechanism is the lock/unlock solenoid. The GM 5 module unlocks or locks the mechanism, after that, it is a mechanical linkage that unlatches and opens the door.

I know, I had to replace my door...so I had to remove ALL of the components from the old door to the new door.

Without taking the door card off and doing a basic visual inspection, nothing will be resolved. The OP could also just pull the entire latching assembly for a really good inspection.
Slavery was legal; apartheid was legal; Stalinist, Nazi, and Maoist purges were legal. Clearly, the fact of legality does not justify these crimes. Legality, alone, cannot be the talisman of morel people. - Walter E. Williams
Old 07-20-2016, 02:42 PM

Doors won't opn

My gut tells me it's mechanical. I was trying to avoid taking the door apart but since there's also a rattle in both doors when driving over rough roads I guess it's time. I'll bet there's a connection between the rattle and the problem.

None of this crap ever happens to my wife's Mazda which cost less than half of the Z.
Old 07-22-2016, 11:36 AM

Mein Auto: E85 BMW Z4 3.0I
Currently having the same issue with my 03 3.0i. Have to unlock the door with the window down while putting the key in the door lock and turning it. It's annoying. If you end up DIY I know I and everyone else who's had this issue would sure appreciate pics and a resolution
Old 07-23-2016, 05:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 3.0i z4
I'm having a similar issue with my drivers door,but it seems to only happen after setting out on a hot sunny day. Have to open door from inside. The handle on that door has to be pulled to the very top of the stroke before opening under normal conditions. Hope you find a solution.
Old 07-24-2016, 03:09 PM

Hey defrinZ4. You stated in your frist post that you opened windows and lowered top with key. Is that something you code the car to do or do you have an aftermarket module that you added?
Old 07-24-2016, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamarider1 View Post
Hey defrinZ4. You stated in your frist post that you opened windows and lowered top with key. Is that something you code the car to do or do you have an aftermarket module that you added?
In most cars (E85's), if you are talking about inserting the key into the lock, turn and hold, to raise and lower the windows/softtop, those two functions are already coded into the modules from the factory.
On the early model cars, you have to code in the function to lower and raise the softtop from the buttons on the remote (key). The dealer will tell you that on the early model cars, this function cannot be coded in... they are wrong.
Old 07-24-2016, 06:00 PM

Doors won't open

Shipkiller:

No, it's a normal function as described in the owners manual. I've added nothing. It's 100% original stock.
Old 07-25-2016, 06:53 AM

Ship, since you've done a full remove and replacement of the door, can you describe how the external door handle and the internal door handle is connected to the locking mechanism? How does the bowden cable come into play (the only part I've heard of being replaced as a solution for certain situations)? Is it feasible that a bowden cable replacement would resolve an exterior door and interior door handle unlocking problem? Thanks.
Old 07-25-2016, 11:06 AM

Look at these.
Old 07-30-2016, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by defrinZ4 View Post
Shipkiller:

No, it's a normal function as described in the owners manual. I've added nothing. It's 100% original stock.
I don't mean to hijacked you're threads about you're doors, but could you tell me how you operate windows & top with key. I've looked in my owners manual and don't find anything about that. I have a 2004. 3.0i.
Old 08-01-2016, 07:22 AM

Mein Auto: Z4 Roadster 3.0i
Here is the page from my manual for a 06/2006 Z4 Roadster e85 3.0i. Notice the asterisk indicating "country-specific" (US lawyers control technology), as well as "optional extras" (where in this case is likely tied to Comfort Access as an option in the Vehicle Order). The hood OPENING and windows DOWN option seems to be available on all vehicles with or without the Comfort Access option from what I have seen. Hood CLOSING and windows UP are an entirely different situation for both KEY and FOB. But to answer your question directly, reference the page.

...and... HELLO to the famous and very very helpful SHIPKILLER! I had no idea you were still active on the forums, but your past work has helped many people! Thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Door Lock Operation.pdf (123.3 KB, 24 views)
Old 08-01-2016, 12:07 PM

As what is stated in the 'door lock operation.pdf' applies to all years of E85's.
Remote hood (softtop) operation from the key fob was standard from 2005 on..

Using the key in the door lock.

Turn key to the right to unlock door lock. HOLD key in that position and the hood will open and retract.
This also applies to locking the car. Turn key to left to lock car and hold in that position to close the hood.

If your car has remote hood operation (with the key FOB), press the unlock button to unlock the car. Then, a second time, press the unlock button and HOLD it depressed and your hood (softtop) should open and retract.
""If you have a E86 (Coupe'), then doing this will lower your windows.""

Conversely, pressing the lock button on the key fob will lock the car. Pressing and HOLDING the lock button a second time will raise and lock the hood to the windscreen.

BMW's official stance on reprogramming earlier cars for remote hood key FOB operation is: it cannot be done.

This is not true, at least by the normal way the dealership would do the programming.

You need to use NCSExpert and change two settings (that I remember) and remote hood operation is now enabled. I did this to me very early 2003 E85 (manufactures date of Oct 2002) and it worked like a charm....I have a theory why this works but cannot prove it.
Old 08-01-2016, 12:39 PM

Black z4 and shipkiller thanks for that info, still learning alot about this car. Shipkiller i also want to thank you for all the invaluable info you've posted, just finished top repair using your instructions.
Old 08-02-2016, 01:42 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 Roadster 3.0i
Yes, and I know of shipkiller from other forums as well. As a new member HERE myself, that was really what I meant. He has made many posts here, but has made very detailed guides with photos where many of them have almost become 'legendary'.

And back to the OP question, I seem to have read mostly about this being a Bowden cable issue with a tiny (millimeter like tiny) movement when the sunlight is directly on the door. I did have this problem myself on my driver side door, and I followed yet another suggestion of simply taking the time to meticulously clean the actual door latch itself with some good cleaner. I tried that, and haven't really been bothered by the problem in maybe a few months, where it used to show up quite frequently. Another item to add to this thread... When the door DOES stick like this, put your weight into the door with your hip as you gently lift the handle and it will likely come right open. This tends to lead me toward the cleaning option myself being a main contributor. Not ruling out the GM5 relays, but these are some things to try.
Old 08-02-2016, 01:55 PM

I've looked at the diagrams in my repair manual, and to me it looks like the bowen cable is only used by the inside handle, but I'll double check that. I'm recovering from shoulder surgery now, but when i get out of this sling i hope to get that repaired.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
Today's Posts Search