Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)

E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
E85 Z4 Roadster, E86 Z4 Coupe, E85 Z4 M Roadster, and E86 Z4 M Coupe talk with our BMW gurus here.

Old 07-10-2015, 08:45 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '04 Z4 3.0i 6spd
Suspension refresh!

My 2004 3.0i is approaching 60k miles, so a suspension refresh is in order. I have on order:
-Eibach Pro-Kit lowering springs
-Koni sport shocks
-Rogue Engineering RSM
-Meyle Heavy Duty FCAB

Are there any other suspension parts that I should have my mechanic replace while he's in there so I don't have to double up on labor in a few years?
Advertisement
Old 07-10-2015, 09:15 AM

Mein Auto: 04 Z4 3.0
What about the front shock mounts? The rubber tends to dry out and crack after a while.
Old 07-11-2015, 07:03 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 Z4 2.5
I would also recommend replacing the front top strut mounts. Aside from the rubber, the bearings inside the mounts can also wear out over time. Let us know how you like the spring/shock combo. I did get the Koni yellows but decided to keep my OEM springs, worried about too harsh ride from lowering springs. Don't know if you have Sport package on your car but keep in mind the Konis are a tad firmer than OEM even in the softest setting.
Old 07-11-2015, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalali View Post
I would also recommend replacing the front top strut mounts. Aside from the rubber, the bearings inside the mounts can also wear out over time. Let us know how you like the spring/shock combo. I did get the Koni yellows but decided to keep my OEM springs, worried about too harsh ride from lowering springs. Don't know if you have Sport package on your car but keep in mind the Konis are a tad firmer than OEM even in the softest setting.
Good call, I am looking at the parts diagram now. So I'll get front strut mounts. What about front bump stops? That's the only other rubber piece I see that might need replacing.

I have the sport suspension so the Eibach's advertised 1.2" drop will actually be only 0.6" which is good for me because I don't want it slammed. What setting do you have your Koni's on for daily driving? The roads here in the outer suburbs of Boston aren't the worst - probably similar to East Brunswick. But I also need to drive into Boston area once a week and the roads there are like Jersey City or Hoboken. Would you recommend just leaving it at the softest setting? A shop is doing this for me so I'd like to just set it once and leave it.
Old 07-11-2015, 10:38 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Send a message via ICQ to dc_wright
Mein Auto: '06 Z4 3.0si, '11 128CiC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twixboy View Post
Good call, I am looking at the parts diagram now. So I'll get front strut mounts. What about front bump stops? That's the only other rubber piece I see that might need replacing.

I have the sport suspension so the Eibach's advertised 1.2" drop will actually be only 0.6" which is good for me because I don't want it slammed. What setting do you have your Koni's on for daily driving? The roads here in the outer suburbs of Boston aren't the worst - probably similar to East Brunswick. But I also need to drive into Boston area once a week and the roads there are like Jersey City or Hoboken. Would you recommend just leaving it at the softest setting? A shop is doing this for me so I'd like to just set it once and leave it.
For the Dinan suspension kit for the Z4 that comes with the Koni Sport's they recommend middle of the range for the front struts, and 25% from softest in the rear. I'm running middle on both front and rear and it's pretty firm but not back breaking. Getting the rears set where you want them is critical since you'll have to take them off the change the adjustment. For the fronts you'll have access to the adjuster from the top of the strut in the engine compartment so you can adjust those to your liking any time.
Old 07-11-2015, 12:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 Z4 3.0I / 2011 328XI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twixboy View Post
My 2004 3.0i is approaching 60k miles, so a suspension refresh is in order. I have on order:
-Eibach Pro-Kit lowering springs
-Koni sport shocks
-Rogue Engineering RSM
-Meyle Heavy Duty FCAB

Are there any other suspension parts that I should have my mechanic replace while he's in there so I don't have to double up on labor in a few years?
If you don't mind what is the approximate cost for this kit? I did all the rubber last year but left the oem shocks. At 65k I'm sure they are due to be replaced.
Old 07-11-2015, 03:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 Z4 2.5
I originally had the fronts set at the softest setting but changed the setting halfway between the softest and firmist when I switched to all season tires. The rears are still set at the softest setting but I'm going to firm those up as well when I have some free time. The most time consuming part of installing the rears is to access the top mount. If you're dealing with a friendly shop, you can ask them to leave the top mount exposed to allow you to test drive the car and see if you want it firmer than the factory setting. They'll have to remove them for adjustments but it should take no longer than an extra hour. May be worth it.
Old 07-13-2015, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotophoenix View Post
If you don't mind what is the approximate cost for this kit? I did all the rubber last year but left the oem shocks. At 65k I'm sure they are due to be replaced.
It wasn't a kit - I bought them from various online vendors. Eibach springs were $266 shipped from Tire Rack, Koni shocks were $624 shipped from ECS, FCABs were $97 shipped from ECS, and RSMs were $113 shipped direct from Rogue Engineering, for a total of $1100 even.

The only kit I could find online was the H&R/Bilstein sport suspension package from Turner for $853. That's slightly cheaper than the $890 I paid for my Eibach/Koni combo, but I've read the ride is a lot harsher and the drop is lower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalali View Post
I originally had the fronts set at the softest setting but changed the setting halfway between the softest and firmist when I switched to all season tires. The rears are still set at the softest setting but I'm going to firm those up as well when I have some free time. The most time consuming part of installing the rears is to access the top mount. If you're dealing with a friendly shop, you can ask them to leave the top mount exposed to allow you to test drive the car and see if you want it firmer than the factory setting. They'll have to remove them for adjustments but it should take no longer than an extra hour. May be worth it.
Thanks, so it sounds like dc_wright's suggestion from the Dinan literature is a good starting point.