Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)

E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
E85 Z4 convertible and E86 Z4 coupe talk with our BMW gurus here.

Old 06-08-2014, 03:50 PM

Mein Auto: z4
soft top wiring

i have a 2006 z4 top will not go down. windows lower top unlatches ten nothing. need a wiring diaram on top to be able to fix problem. was told by previous owner stoped working when in a fender bender.
Ads by Google
Old 06-08-2014, 04:43 PM

Mein Auto: a car
You need a top motor. I can help anyone out with this, that is anywhere near the Nashville tn area.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 06-10-2014, 08:00 PM

Mein Auto: Z4
yeah i think the guy lied to you..
Old 06-11-2014, 01:41 PM

Mein Auto: z4
reply to answer

thanks for your reply but i couldn't find the wirring diagram if you sent one. with out looking at a wirring diagram i'm not sure but i beileve it wouldn't be the top motor as it is unlatching and can be put down manually.i would think it would be a switch or wirring between the top motor and hydraulic pump or the pump.Anyone with a wirring diagram or knowlege of conditions needed to get power to pump please let me know.also info on how to access the pump itself would be helpfull.
Old 06-11-2014, 04:59 PM

When I say top motor, I mean the hydronic pump/motor assembly that's usually underwater.

Old 06-11-2014, 06:54 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Send a message via ICQ to dc_wright
Mein Auto: '96 328iC, '04 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by vernon1 View Post
thanks for your reply but i couldn't find the wirring diagram if you sent one. with out looking at a wirring diagram i'm not sure but i beileve it wouldn't be the top motor as it is unlatching and can be put down manually.i would think it would be a switch or wirring between the top motor and hydraulic pump or the pump.Anyone with a wirring diagram or knowlege of conditions needed to get power to pump please let me know.also info on how to access the pump itself would be helpfull.
There are two motors in the top assembly. One motor operates the front latches and the other drives the hydraulic pump that lowers and raises the top. Your latch motor is running, but your main motor isn't. While its possible its a wiring issue, what you've described is the classic symptom of failure of the main motor due to water intrusion. If you search this and other Z4 forums you'll find almost no if not zero cases where it was a wiring issue, and almost 100% top motor failure. Have you checked and cleared the drains for the top storage area? If they've never been cleared out, that adds to the probability of main top motor failure.....
Old 06-11-2014, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_wright View Post
There are two motors in the top assembly. One motor operates the front latches and the other drives the hydraulic pump that lowers and raises the top. Your latch motor is running, but your main motor isn't. While its possible its a wiring issue, what you've described is the classic symptom of failure of the main motor due to water intrusion. If you search this and other Z4 forums you'll find almost no if not zero cases where it was a wiring issue, and almost 100% top motor failure. Have you checked and cleared the drains for the top storage area? If they've never been cleared out, that adds to the probability of main top motor failure.....

I'm glad I'm not the only one that knows what's going on. If anyone is interested, I can do z4 top hydronic motor replacements for under a grand, parts and labor, for anyone that can be in the Nashville tn area. I use all bmw parts so you get a 2 year unlimited milage warranty.