Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 02-10-2006, 03:00 PM

Mein Auto: e36 convetible 1999
Unhappy Removing Rear Seats From E36 Convertible, Help!

Hey Guys! Just Trying To Wire Some Kick Ass Sounds To My Bimmer, Having Trouble Getting The Wires Down The Car, I Cant Seem To Find A Way To Get The Cables From The Rear Seats, Through To The Boot(trunk), The Only Way It Seems Possible Is To Take The Rear Seats Out, The Only Way I Can Do This Is To Unbolt Them, But The Bolts Are At An Awkward Angle And I Cant Turn Them With A Spanner, Any Ideas Of How Else I Can Wire My Sub And Amp!? Thanks!
Ads by Google
Old 02-10-2006, 07:27 PM

Mein Auto: X5, E36 325i
I pulled the rear seats out of my E36 easily on the weekend. No unbolting required.

Pulled the back rest section first, then the bottom.
Old 02-12-2006, 12:09 AM

Mein Auto: washington
The seat bottom pulls straight up from the front. You can access the two bolts for the seat backs easier.
Old 02-15-2006, 07:20 PM

Mein Auto: BMW E36 320 Convertible
I simply tucked the cables between the seats and ran em through the middle that gives access to the trunk. Cant see or feel the cables done in seconds
Old 02-20-2006, 10:05 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW M3 Convertible
The answer is hard to find, but I found it. The bottom is easy, just pull up on the front edge and pull it out. The back is more difficult, but easier on a convertible than a coupe. You must remove the head rests. This can be done by spraying some silicone spray down each rod of the headrest. Then wiggle them up and out. The headrests come out hard, so I used a 1x2 piece of wood to pry them up. Once the headrests are out, pull the seat out at the top, and lift up and out of the way, similar to the bottom cushion. The trick is that the headrests lock in the rear seat back on a convertible. This is NOT the same as a coupe or sedan, and that is the mistake everyone seems to make. Good luck!
Old 02-21-2006, 12:57 AM

Mein Auto: 1999 328ic
Quote:
Originally Posted by khermsen
The answer is hard to find, but I found it. The bottom is easy, just pull up on the front edge and pull it out. The back is more difficult, but easier on a convertible than a coupe. You must remove the head rests. This can be done by spraying some silicone spray down each rod of the headrest. Then wiggle them up and out. The headrests come out hard, so I used a 1x2 piece of wood to pry them up. Once the headrests are out, pull the seat out at the top, and lift up and out of the way, similar to the bottom cushion. The trick is that the headrests lock in the rear seat back on a convertible. This is NOT the same as a coupe or sedan, and that is the mistake everyone seems to make. Good luck!
Where did you find the info to remove headrests? Did they go back in as hard as they came out? I yanked on mine pretty hard and they wouldn't budge. Bentley manual had nothing to say about removing headrests. I wasn't sure they could be removed. I just wanted to see what it looked like without them. Thanks.
Old 02-21-2006, 02:00 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW M3 Convertible
It was an obscure post. I have a 99 M3 Convertible, and it wasn't easy, but they do come up - at least on mine they did. Good luck.
Old 03-14-2006, 11:18 AM

Mein Auto: e36 convetible 1999
thanks guys! very helpful
Old 03-14-2006, 12:43 PM
Do the interns get Glocks

Send a message via AIM to LmtdSlip
Mein Auto: 325iC
The rear seats of the E36 vert are not bolted in. They simply snap into place.

The bottoms come off easier than the backs but both come out w/o using any tools. Once the seats are out you will find many places to run witre into the trunk depending on your needs.

Photobucket
Old 07-24-2006, 11:31 AM

Mein Auto: e36
how bout for a 1994 e36 saloon im have the same god damn problem.. also how wuld i run a wire from the battery all he way to that back.. main prob is the from the battery into the car.. plz help thanx
Old 05-22-2007, 12:00 PM

Mein Auto: 1998 328i Vert 5-spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by LmtdSlip View Post
The rear seats of the E36 vert are not bolted in. They simply snap into place.

The bottoms come off easier than the backs but both come out w/o using any tools. Once the seats are out you will find many places to run witre into the trunk depending on your needs.
....I'm not sure about that. Mine won't budge. I think the reason there is confusion is that you can get an E36 vert rear seat in 2 different varieties:
  1. With no rollover protection and no rear seat headrests.
  2. With rollover protection kit and rear seat headrests.
There may be a different seat back removal technique required for each setup ....and who knows maybe there is yet another setup that I'm unaware of. I have a 1998 328i vert WITH the rollover kit and headrests. I have stood in that car with the top down, grabbed the seat back and thrown my 186 pounds of bodyweight against it and it won't budge.

I'll try removing the headrests tonight and see if that works.
Old 05-31-2007, 11:54 AM

Mein Auto: 1998 328i Vert 5-spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by khermsen View Post
You are absolutely correct sir! I pulled the headrests out and the rear seat back popped right out. The headrest go through the seat-back into the metal frame of the car. That seat back will NEVER come out if you don't remove the headrests first. Once you do it pops off with mimimal effort.

Old 06-30-2011, 12:58 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW M3
I went through this same procedure...

If you can't get your headrests to come out, don't give up! Mine were REALLY stuck, and if I hadn't read this thread, I probably would have assumed there was a hidden bolt or something holding it in, and would have probably given up...

First I carefully foamed some WD40 on the headrest rods and let it seep in.

Then I had to take out my rear bottom cushion, climb back there, and crouch sturdily while grasping the bottom of the headrest with both hands.

Then I put my elbows against my knees and used my leg + arm power to lift the headrest out. The rods tend to jam up, so you may need to lift up one side at a time and work it out. It must have taken me 150 pounds of upward force to make the thing slide out.

Good luck.

Old 06-30-2011, 03:14 PM
Cruising 280 Top Down

Send a message via Skype™ to petriej
Mein Auto: '99 M3 Cab & '05 X5 4.8is
I'm glad you resurrected this thread, since I am interested in doing the same.

On a related note, I like your car! How do you like black seats, though? My other vert's seats get too hot, which is why I like the grey, better.

GGC BMW CCA #443004
Join the BMW CCA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hornhospital View Post
Jared, why don't you just put "It's Giubo" in your sig? Save a lot of typing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by e36 miguel View Post
this jared guy sounds intimidating lol.
2005 X5 4.8is Le Mans/Black/6spd Steptragic
1999 M3 Cabrio TiAg Metallic/Dove Grey/Black 5 Speed Manual
-------------------------------------------------------------------
1997 328iC Schwarz II/K/K 5MT SOLD 5/2012
2004 645Ci Mineral Silver Metallic/Black 6MT RIP 04/2011
Old 06-30-2011, 03:31 PM
nothing.

Mein Auto: A dream
i put the top down and the headrests came out flawless....
Old 10-13-2012, 08:26 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW i323ic
I am so glad to find this post. Now I have to see whats up with the window.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:52 PM

Mein Auto: X5
How to remove the back rest on a e36 convertible

Hi Guys

I spent 1 hour wrestling with the backrest trying to remove it I was trying to find he connectors to install the power cables for the hardtop installation kit. So here the procedure:

1. Remove the lower cushion. Get your fingers under and pull up.
2. Remove the headrests, you have to stand up inside the car and rock the back and forth hp while pulling hard.
3. Insert your fingers behind the backrest cushion right where the headrests where and pull forward. ( towards the front of the car) you will hear the clips click. Once is loose from the upper clips, you can lift up.

I have included a picture from the clips securing the backrest.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	392496