Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 02-12-2006, 09:06 AM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2006 325i sport
Snow reflections

It snowed a bit over a foot here last night. So as any BMW X3 driver probably would, I was itching to try the X3 since we really didnt get any big snowfall since the time we purchased it. Ok, so my parents would only let me take it down the cul-de-sac, but it was enough to get a good taste of the X3's capabilities.

Ok, the only annoying part occured when backing outta the driveway; didn't do it fast enough and sorta got stuck. No matter, drive it back up the driveway and back down faster. I relax the DSC by reverting to DTC, put it into Drive, and away I went with little drama. Besides getting stares from neighbors still shoveling their driveways, I felt perfectly at home. As i turned in the cul-de-sac, the rear started drifting a bit, but lifting off the throttle fixed all that. Then it sorta started floundering but I put it in 2nd gear and just powered my way back up the hill. Pretty impressed........I saw a couple cars getting stuck on my street earlier in the morning, and here I am driving around with no issues at all.

I encourage all of you X3 and X5 (well, all bmw drivers) to take it out in some decent snow, and get a feel for what the Ultimate Plow--er i mean Driving Machine can do

Now that that's said, the cornering on snow/slush leaves something to be desired......winter tires are a must. Made a simple left turn today and the rear stepped outta line, almost making me run into the other guy since it was a double left turn lane.

Last edited by AzNMpower32; 02-12-2006 at 03:48 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 02-25-2006, 03:29 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 88 M3
Give us some pics mang!
Old 02-10-2008, 05:09 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X3
Perspective

I have had my 2007 X3 since August of 2007. IT is a 6 speed manual, which to meet truly makes it the "Ultimate Driving Machine" When I bought this car, I was set on a 3 series wagon, but after looking at it, driving it, I bought the X3. It had more space without comprimising the ride. The wagon is still a GREAT vehicle and if I had the money I would have one of those as well but had to comprimise.

For any of you up in NE, you know that this year we have had a TON of snow. I drove my X3 in a few storms with the Pirelli Scorpions on it which are the stock tires. It did fine, I felt safe but I still optioned to put on a pair of Gislaveds. These kick ass in my book not only in snow and ice but on dry and wet roads which in reality is what the majority of your winter driving is done. They are well mannered, QUIET and turn this X3 into a virtual panzer tank in the snow.

Just today driving back from Killington Vermont, there was a good 4 inches on the road. As we crested one of the many hills the road turned into a bumper car lot. SUVs, Hondas everything was of the road or banged up on the guard rail. I just down shifted to second gear and this X3 didn't budge a bit.....not one bit. My self and some guy in an older Volvo XC (obviously with some serious winter tires) made it through without a glich.

DSC and all the electonic gizmos definitely help, but it is the good rubber on the car (winter tires) that make this car unstopable in any winter condition.
Old 02-10-2008, 06:44 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Wow this thread got resurrected from a year ago (which is a zillion in forum years ).

We've had barely any snow in this area this year, and the one snowfall we did have was a heavy, wet snow where snow tires don't really make a difference. We did make good use of them when we drove to Lake Placid, NY a month ago, but that's one occasion this whole season. Honestly, sometimes I feel like an idiot.
Old 02-10-2008, 07:21 PM
archrenov8

Mein Auto: '08 X3 since April '08
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post

Now that that's said, the cornering on snow/slush leaves something to be desired......winter tires are a must. Made a simple left turn today and the rear stepped outta line, almost making me run into the other guy since it was a double left turn lane.
One thing to keep in mind is that the laws of physics cannot be defied in snow and ice. If you are going around a turn to fast, and the road is snow, slush or ice-covered, it is all but impossible to keep control of your vehicle even with all the electronic gadgetry in the world.

Sliding sideways is sliding sideways.

And when drivers in less capable SUV's that are really top heavy do this, and then catch some traction, they can roll real nicely.
Old 02-10-2008, 07:30 PM
archrenov8

Quote:

I am always amused when I am out in the snow with my SUV, driving at a slightly slower speed than I normally would in dry conditions, and I see a hot dog trying to justify to himself why he bought a 4x4 by driving faster than normal in the snow.

One thing to keep in mind is that the laws of physics cannot be defied in snow and ice. If you are going around a turn to fast, and the road is snow, slush or ice-covered, it is all but impossible to keep control of your vehicle even with all the electronic gadgetry in the world.

Sliding sideways is sliding sideways.

And when drivers in less capable SUV's that are really top heavy do this, and then catch some traction, they can roll real nicely.

I like pulling out of my driveway, which is basically flat until you get to the apron, where it torques up a bit on one side, because our street is a very sharply inclined hill on a curve. Fortunately, it is a very narrow street, so drivers take it slow, wet or dry.

But I like to go out before the plow or sander has arrived and see what my beast can do. I back up into the hill, stop at the steepest part, and then back up a little further. Never had a problem, other than on sheer ice (it IS that steep).

I look forward to seeing how the X3 stacks up against my amazing Touareg in these winter conditions, but I will have to do that next year, as my X3 will arrive some time in April.

It is amazing to experience what these systems can do.

Last edited by archrenov8; 02-10-2008 at 07:32 PM.
Old 02-10-2008, 07:47 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

I am always very aware of the laws of physics. I would also never attempt something anywhere that does not give me a margin of error.

Driving in wet snow and dry snow is very different. Winter tires seem to make more difference in powder snow, than in the slush that is wet snow. It always seems like the breakaway is more gradual and easier to control when there is dry snow. I can do beautiful, controlled drifts in this kind of snow, which is unfortunately, rare in the Mid-Atlantic and SE.

In wet snow, it's like "all or nothing" at times. One second, you think you're all fine. Then, the tail whips out, and you understeer at the same time. It's obnoxious, and when it freezes, it become crusty hard ice, which is lots of fun to clear out of the road.......not.
Old 02-11-2008, 05:45 AM
STEVIL Empire

Mein Auto: 2007 E92 328i
Quote:
Wow this thread got resurrected from a year ago (which is a zillion in forum years ).
It's really 2 years ago...tha't more like a gazillion forum years...

2014 E84 xDrive28i 8AT-Alpine White/Black Nevada/Silver Matte w/ZMV,ZLP,494 - DD 3/14/14
Old 03-04-2008, 12:23 PM
STEVIL Empire

Just for fun:

2014 E84 xDrive28i 8AT-Alpine White/Black Nevada/Silver Matte w/ZMV,ZLP,494 - DD 3/14/14
Old 03-04-2008, 12:26 PM
STEVIL Empire

Think these are winter tires?

Old 03-04-2008, 01:01 PM
archrenov8

Not only are they likely to be winter tires, but it was certainly light and fluffy snow, not the wet heavy kind. With wet heavy snow up over the bumper, it would likely lift the X3 up enough to lose traction.
Old 01-19-2009, 02:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW X3
Even with vredestein wintrac 4 extremes on my X3 with 18" wheels, 50 series, traction is not good in snow.

I think the X3 is not a heavy vehicle and I really do not find snow driving to be relaxed with my X3. The 4x4 light keeps on coming on as the car tries to get traction. DTC button seems to do nothing at all.

I do not like the X3 in snow at all.
Old 01-20-2009, 01:04 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW X5 3.0si
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmacpany View Post
Even with vredestein wintrac 4 extremes on my X3 with 18" wheels, 50 series, traction is not good in snow.

I think the X3 is not a heavy vehicle and I really do not find snow driving to be relaxed with my X3. The 4x4 light keeps on coming on as the car tries to get traction. DTC button seems to do nothing at all.

I do not like the X3 in snow at all.
To me it's straight line performance is amazing and better than I expected. And I'm still riding on the stock, almost one year old Michelins.

Maybe the driving conditions were just plain bad. Or maybe a smaller tire would help. General snow tire guidance is one profile narrower and one size smaller. Maybe keeping the stock size wasn't the best option.
Old 01-20-2009, 02:10 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Quote:
Originally Posted by HT417 View Post
Maybe the driving conditions were just plain bad. Or maybe a smaller tire would help. General snow tire guidance is one profile narrower and one size smaller. Maybe keeping the stock size wasn't the best option.
It could also be the driver
Old 01-21-2009, 05:26 PM
My Other Car Is A Bus

Mein Auto: 07 530Xi
My X3 (2nd one) is always a sure footed one in the snow. I probably drive a little too fast for the conditions because of this, but nonetheless it's great in the snow with the stock michelins. My previous X3 was on '04 with the stock scorpions.

'04 X3 2.5i gone
'07 X3 3.0si gone