Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-17-2006, 06:52 AM
cxc511 cxc511 is offline
Registered User
Location: Philadelphia
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 7
Mein Auto: 325i
Buying 330ci coming off friend's lease?

I've been looking for a used 3 series and talked to a friend of mine about his 2003 330ci that is coming off lease in May. He was probably just going to turn it in and hadn't thought much about the buyout price until I asked him. His car will have under 40,000 miles at the end of the lease, is fully loaded w/ everything but nav and park distance control. The end of term purchase price is only $24,600!

Has anyone purchased a vehicle in a similar fashion? I am hoping there is some way I could purchase the car directly to avoid sales tax issues if my friend were to purchase and then resell to me. Given that you can assign a lease to someone else, it seems there has to be some way to to this!

Has anyone purchased a car in a similar fashion? Thanks!
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 02-17-2006, 08:39 AM
jvr826's Avatar
jvr826 jvr826 is online now
Is it Trackday yet?
Location: In the woods. Santa Cruz County, CA
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 8,867
Mein Auto: 05 330ci 6MT
This is easily done and BMWFS is very accommodating with signing over the title. I've sold 3 leased BMWs over the years to private buyers, but in California. BMWFS was well aware of the procedure for California, that being, if the car is paid off and the title transfer happens within 10 days, only the new buyer is responsible for sales tax. They mailed me the title in all cases with the "sold" date blank to give me extra time to transfer to the new owner, in case of mail delays or whatever. I just filled it in once I got it and delivered to the new owner. They are then responsible for registering the vehicle.

Have your friend call BMWFS and ask their very helpful representatives about this. You'll have your answer in a few minutes I'm sure. It's a great way to buy a car - you get a great price and your friend avoids the lease end inspection (and possible repair costs), plus possible excess mileage charges.
__________________
Jeff R.
Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA - Autocross - Come Join Us!


"You drive like old people $#@%... slow and sloppy!" - George Carlin
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-17-2006, 09:49 AM
TRP TRP is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Jose, CA
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 133
Mein Auto: 2003 325iT (Sport)
I 'just' did this back in late January:

I paid the exact value of the lease buy out so the process was quick and easy. If the buyer is going to pay more than the buy out value - The buyer could simply make out two checks. One for the buyout value, the other for the difference to you.

Here is what I did:
The previous owner and I called BMW Financial Services, USA and got the value of the buyout. (1-800-578-8000) We agreed that I would simply pay that price.

They (BMW) gave me an address to BMW USA and I simply sent them (BMW) a check for the buyout value. I was asked to include an envelope with my return address so they (BMW) could send me the Title.

The title came to me 3 days later and I then took it to the previous owner to have him sign it.

I then took that title to DMV and registered the car in my name. BMW USA did not charge me taxes - those were collected at DMV at the time when I registered the car.

Call BMW - they will walk you through the process - it's basic.

Ted
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-17-2006, 05:30 PM
SARAFIL's Avatar
SARAFIL SARAFIL is offline
I know a thing or two...
Location: Boston, MA
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 7,404
Mein Auto: '11 BMW 335xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRP
I 'just' did this back in late January:

I paid the exact value of the lease buy out so the process was quick and easy. If the buyer is going to pay more than the buy out value - The buyer could simply make out two checks. One for the buyout value, the other for the difference to you.

Here is what I did:
The previous owner and I called BMW Financial Services, USA and got the value of the buyout. (1-800-578-8000) We agreed that I would simply pay that price.

They (BMW) gave me an address to BMW USA and I simply sent them (BMW) a check for the buyout value. I was asked to include an envelope with my return address so they (BMW) could send me the Title.

The title came to me 3 days later and I then took it to the previous owner to have him sign it.

I then took that title to DMV and registered the car in my name. BMW USA did not charge me taxes - those were collected at DMV at the time when I registered the car.

Call BMW - they will walk you through the process - it's basic.

Ted

Be careful... tax laws are different in each state. This obviously works in California, but it won't work in many other states.

In Rhode Island, for example, the only person that can transfer ownership on a title is a licensed car dealer or the original owner of the vehicle. In this case, the bank is the orignal owner of the vehicle. BMWFS can only directly transfer the title to the leaseholder, since they are not a car dealer. After they do this, the car has to be taxed and titled in order to have a new title made before any other transfer of ownership can take place.

Check your local tax codes before you make a mistake that you'll regret!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-19-2006, 01:47 PM
cxc511 cxc511 is offline
Registered User
Location: Philadelphia
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 7
Mein Auto: 325i
It seems that in FL where my friend has the car this may not be a tax friendly transaction. In fact, I believe its the exact same situation as in Rhode Island based on what my friend (current lessee) heard from BMWFS.

The buyout price of $24,300 plus the tax (probably 6 or 7 percent) is still below KBB, but its much less of a deal than just $24,300 as I had hoped. Also, I'd have to either ship the car from the Miami area to Philadelphia or fly down and drive it back which further adds to the total bill.

FL has no income tax from what I understand, so I guess they have to collect revenue somehow.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-19-2006, 04:47 PM
CPS's Avatar
CPS CPS is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: CT
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 42
Mein Auto: OB/NB 2003 330Ci/SP/PP/X
Depending on how much time your friend still has on the lease (May should be plenty), you might try to assume the lease. BMWFS permits this, though it takes 30 days or so. Once you assume the lease, the buyout option is yours, so no duplicate sales tax would accrue. BMW charges around $450 for the assumption.

The other option that occurs to me is to negotiate with a local dealer for them to take a return of the leased car, then sell it to you at the residual. He may make a profit if his wholesale price is less than the residual, but may be convinced to do it anyway as a good faith gesture to your friend. This again would avoid duplicating sales tax.

If you find a dealer friendly to the latter approach, you might also ask if they'll CPO the car for you as part of the trade. Presumably you'd be willing to pay a little extra for this benefit, which then makes it work out for the dealer too. See some other discussions on CPO of off-lease cars, but I think I recall some dealers doing this for $1,500 or so.

Good luck.

Last edited by CPS; 02-19-2006 at 04:51 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-19-2006, 08:39 PM
kyfdx's Avatar
kyfdx kyfdx is offline
Who, me?
Location: Kentucky
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 2,469
Mein Auto: 2006 330Ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPS
Depending on how much time your friend still has on the lease (May should be plenty), you might try to assume the lease. BMWFS permits this, though it takes 30 days or so. Once you assume the lease, the buyout option is yours, so no duplicate sales tax would accrue. BMW charges around $450 for the assumption.

The other option that occurs to me is to negotiate with a local dealer for them to take a return of the leased car, then sell it to you at the residual. He may make a profit if his wholesale price is less than the residual, but may be convinced to do it anyway as a good faith gesture to your friend. This again would avoid duplicating sales tax.

If you find a dealer friendly to the latter approach, you might also ask if they'll CPO the car for you as part of the trade. Presumably you'd be willing to pay a little extra for this benefit, which then makes it work out for the dealer too. See some other discussions on CPO of off-lease cars, but I think I recall some dealers doing this for $1,500 or so.

Good luck.
I don't think you can assume the lease in the last six months..

Why don't you have your friend call BMWFS, and tell them that he wants to get rid of the car, and has a willing buyer, and can they sell the car directly to you for the payoff? Maybe they will..
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-20-2006, 07:08 PM
SARAFIL's Avatar
SARAFIL SARAFIL is offline
I know a thing or two...
Location: Boston, MA
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 7,404
Mein Auto: '11 BMW 335xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyfdx
I don't think you can assume the lease in the last six months..

Why don't you have your friend call BMWFS, and tell them that he wants to get rid of the car, and has a willing buyer, and can they sell the car directly to you for the payoff? Maybe they will..
BMWFS can only sell the car to a dealer or to the original lease client... they are not a licensed car dealer and can not sell it to any other party.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-21-2006, 06:41 AM
jerrykdc jerrykdc is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Bethesda, MD
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 334
Mein Auto: 2004 330CIC
You might see if he can extend warranty/maintenance

You might check and see if he can extend the maintenance and warranty and how much it would cost and whether he can transfer it to you.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Advantages With Two Friends Buying 330's at the Same Time? Terra4eva E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013) 9 02-11-2006 10:24 AM
Possible to CPO a friend's car then lease? drsneeze Ask-A-Dealer 4 05-30-2004 02:18 PM
Damn...I just ran some numbers on a 330ci lease... MattZ 3 Series / 4 Series 9 12-26-2002 07:08 PM
buying extra miles on lease scdgoofy Regional Forums 4 10-15-2002 09:20 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms