Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 02-17-2006, 07:56 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 X3 M Sport
Voice Commands for Bluetooth

Anybody know how to pair up voice commands with the Bluetooth so I can just call out a name and have it dial? Even though I had voice commands attached to the Razr phone, those do not import. Only the numbers and names import. I haven't been able to figure this one out yet. No synching problems to report - I've seen other posts where people have this issue.
Ads by Google
Old 02-17-2006, 08:06 AM

Send a message via MSN to mrbelk
Mein Auto: 07 335i/6sp
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckm1515
Anybody know how to pair up voice commands with the Bluetooth so I can just call out a name and have it dial? Even though I had voice commands attached to the Razr phone, those do not import. Only the numbers and names import. I haven't been able to figure this one out yet. No synching problems to report - I've seen other posts where people have this issue.
Can't you just say "Call Home" or "Call Steve Cell" or whatever? If you have a GSM phone, the numbers have to be on the phone and not on the SIM.

FWIW, the BMW bluetooth system doesn't use the voice tags you may have recorded, it uses a speech-text system that attempts to translate what you're saying into an actual textual entry in your phonebook.

-MrB
(ED 5/7/07) '07 335i/6sp TiAg/Lemon, Trip Journal
(ED 4/18/05) '05 X3 3.0 Blue Water/Black, Trip Journal
(ED 4/28/04) '04 545i Silver Gray/Beige
Old 02-17-2006, 08:06 AM
Special Agent

Mein Auto: Depends on the day!
The voice commands in your phone have nothing to do with the BT system. All you do is press the voice command button and say Dial (name). It uses voice recognition so you do not need to pre program names like many cell phones require. You may need to be overly phonetic with it and speak like it is spelled with certain names. For example my fiance's name is Meagan (Megan) but I need to pronounce it Meegan for the voice command to get it. You can also use it to dial numbers, dial 222 223 1111. This can be found in your owners manual as well FYI! Best of luck!
2006 325i ED 8/29/05: Retired

Old 02-17-2006, 08:10 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW 645Ci
Read the manual, it is all in there. Only certain types of phones work.
Old 02-17-2006, 08:14 AM

Mein Auto: A 5, two 3s, and a Z4
Quote:
I have been told by the SA that it is not possible right now. I just set up a list of ten contacts I use the most with the built in Voice Command system. The system still uses your BT phone to make the call, you just have to record the command with car's system. Check the Telephone reference manual that came with the car (It has a red phone booth on the cover) starting on page 15.
Old 02-17-2006, 08:24 AM

I must have missed it in the manual..will check again. Thanks much!
Old 02-17-2006, 09:19 AM
Special Agent

Mein Auto: Depends on the day!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLC
I have been told by the SA that it is not possible right now. I just set up a list of ten contacts I use the most with the built in Voice Command system. The system still uses your BT phone to make the call, you just have to record the command with car's system. Check the Telephone reference manual that came with the car (It has a red phone booth on the cover) starting on page 15.
You do not need to record anything, the system works off of voice recognition and the phonebook the car contains, it will also dial numbers on command there is no need to store any voice commands, hence the voice recognition. Cell phones require pre programming b/c they do not have recognition software they just compare the spoken versus the stored names and choose the match.

This maybe for iDrive only..... now that I am thinking about it, I thought with the loaner I had (non iDrive) when I paired the phone up I could just say the name and it would dial as well but I am not sure now .... ?????? hhmmmm best of luck!
2006 325i ED 8/29/05: Retired

Last edited by mapezzul; 02-17-2006 at 09:26 AM.
Old 02-17-2006, 11:11 AM

I figured it out. The problem is the manual says to say "store name" when in fact you need to say "save name". System wasn't recognizing the prompt thus my endless fustration. I have now sucessfully programed a phone book of my most commonly called numbers. Now I simply say"Dial Mike Cell" and you then hear my recorded voice and the systems asks if this is correct. Say yes and it dials number. Thanks all.
Old 02-17-2006, 12:44 PM

Mein Auto: 92e31 01e46 06e90 08e85
Quote:
I figured it out. The problem is the manual says to say "store name" when in fact you need to say "save name". System wasn't recognizing the prompt thus my endless fustration. I have now sucessfully programed a phone book of my most commonly called numbers. Now I simply say"Dial Mike Cell" and you then hear my recorded voice and the systems asks if this is correct. Say yes and it dials number. Thanks all.
Now I'm confused.
In my wife's car, the phonebook in her Motorola e815 is transferred each time the phone is paired to the car. She then uses the e90 voice system, i.e. not the internal e815 system, to call up names and dial, i.e. Call Mike.
From your post, it looks like you have created a separate phonebook, independent of your mobile phone, that uses a separate speech recognition system, i.e. your own recorded voice.
A potential use i see for this is to enter a "Call voicemail" command using your method, that includes pauses for entering passwords, etc. As it stands now, the pause commands stored in my wife's e90 cause errors when called up by the e90 system -- thus, you MUST fumble with the actual phone.
Could you explain what you've done here a little more, and specifically, using your method, would it be possible to enter a pause command?
thanks
Mike
Old 02-17-2006, 01:29 PM

I have the Motorola Razr phone and it too always pairs up when I get in the car. All of the data that is in the phone is always transmitted to the vehicle. However, any voice commands I had stored in the phone do not transfer. When I press the 'voice' button on left hand side of steering wheel and say "Dial Mike Cell", the response says "phone book empty". However, as my prev post indicates, I found that by saying "save name" it prompts to to say the name and repeat, then prompts you to say the number then confirms it is saved. Now I can merely press button, say "dial home" and it does....If I want to use the phone book that is paired, I press the phone button for 2 seconds on steering wheel and it brings up the directory then I sort through with the channel up/down buttons.

As far as voice mail, logic would dictate that it should work but I have not tried. I will try this weekend and report back. Let me know if you have any luck or if the above is at all unclear.

-Chris
Old 02-17-2006, 02:18 PM

Quote:
I have the Motorola Razr phone and it too always pairs up when I get in the car. All of the data that is in the phone is always transmitted to the vehicle. However, any voice commands I had stored in the phone do not transfer. When I press the 'voice' button on left hand side of steering wheel and say "Dial Mike Cell", the response says "phone book empty". However, as my prev post indicates, I found that by saying "save name" it prompts to to say the name and repeat, then prompts you to say the number then confirms it is saved. Now I can merely press button, say "dial home" and it does....If I want to use the phone book that is paired, I press the phone button for 2 seconds on steering wheel and it brings up the directory then I sort through with the channel up/down buttons.

As far as voice mail, logic would dictate that it should work but I have not tried. I will try this weekend and report back. Let me know if you have any luck or if the above is at all unclear.

-Chris
Thanks for the clarification Chris.
Aside from the "save name" feature that IS working for you, and as others have posted above, I'm pretty sure that something is not right with your RAZR/E90 pairing. If the phone is pairing OK and the phone book is transferring, then you really should be able to say "Dial Mike Cell" and the system should answer (in a male voice) "Do you want to call Mike Cell" (provided that the name you have stored in the handset is indeed "Mike Cell" and not just "Mike" -- could this be the problem?). As others posted above, the e90 system recognizes a phonetic pronunciation of the name that you have in your handset. I can't imagine that the new RAZR would not have this functionality when the e815 and older v7XX (forgot the name) both have it. I'd investigate further.
Regarding the "save name" alternative, though, I'd certainly appreciate it if you could check to see if a "pause" is possible, as that might be a workaround that many of us over at e90post have been looking for in order to access our voicemail without touching the handset, i.e. Dial VM number, Pause, enter password, Pause, enter 1 for new messages. FWIW, these pauses are recognized just fine by my e46 with an inexpensive aftermarket Bluetooth (Motorola HF850) kit installed, but not at all in the more sophisticated system (also by Motorola) built in to my wife's and your e90. Go figure.
Mike
Old 02-17-2006, 02:28 PM

Interesting...not sure why it is not working 'properly' for me but it's becoming a headache for me. If this works with no problem, then I'm not going to attempt to fix it. I've set up all the numbers in my Razr using the voice system I outlined above. Thanks for the input - much appreciated. As with any new technology, the more advanced the problems!
Old 02-22-2006, 10:34 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 325xi
I just tackled this last night with my Razr V3c. It did not automatically allow me to use voice commands to call people in my address book. The address book imported just fine and I could use the controls on the radio or steering wheel to scroll through it and call but the voice activated phone book was still empty. I had to go through and record my most frequently called numbers into the voice phone book. Took a while to figure out the commands since, as mentioned above, the manual is wrong but once I got the hang of it things went pretty quickly. It's a nice feature once you get it set up.
Old 02-22-2006, 11:20 AM

seems like this only occurs with the Razr - buddy has a different phone and didn't have to go through this process. Anyhow, frequently dialed numbers are loaded via voice command and is now hassle free.
Old 02-22-2006, 11:41 AM

Quote:
seems like this only occurs with the Razr - buddy has a different phone and didn't have to go through this process. Anyhow, frequently dialed numbers are loaded via voice command and is now hassle free.
So . . . Any capability of entering a "Pause"? Sounds like your method only allows you to speak/store numbers, right?
Thanks
Mike
Old 02-22-2006, 12:07 PM

Forgot to post - Unable to do "pause" commands as system allows for less than a 1 second gap between names i.e. "mike cell" needs to be said very clearly without a long pause or it will only record "mike". Unfortunately, looks like you still need to fumble when doing voicemail work
Old 02-22-2006, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Forgot to post - Unable to do "pause" commands as system allows for less than a 1 second gap between names i.e. "mike cell" needs to be said very clearly without a long pause or it will only record "mike". Unfortunately, looks like you still need to fumble when doing voicemail work
Thought so. Thanks for checking.
Old 02-22-2006, 03:45 PM
Bimmer Dreamer

Mein Auto: 2011 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLC
Bingo! That's exactly what I had to do with my Moto E815. Works great!
Old 02-23-2006, 02:04 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 330xi
re: getting voicemail to work via Voice Command (with pauses, security codes, etc. intact)

I got this to work, sorta by accident. I had voicemail for my cell and my work stored as speed dials on my cell phone, with the pauses and security codes configured to dial automatically when I pressed the speed dial on the phone (read your phone's manual if you need to know how to enter pauses into the phone's speed dial).

Anyway, when I was later saving names/numbers to the car's voice command memory, I saved "voicemail" as a name and just the 10 digit phone number (assuming I would have to enter the password by hand). But the first time I actually told the car to dial "voicemail" it entered the entire sequence (with pauses & passcodes) when dialing. So it must have recognized this from the phone's speed dial.

It is very handy, not having to look down or enter any numbers when calling voicemail this way.
Old 02-23-2006, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raindog
Anyway, when I was later saving names/numbers to the car's voice command memory, I saved "voicemail" as a name and just the 10 digit phone number (assuming I would have to enter the password by hand). But the first time I actually told the car to dial "voicemail" it entered the entire sequence (with pauses & passcodes) when dialing. So it must have recognized this from the phone's speed dial.
Good info. Thanks.
May I ask -- what type of phone?
Also, are the only voice commands that your car's system recognizes those that you have manually saved by speaking the name?
In other words, i'm wondering if the e90 system can be set up as a "hybrid" such that the automatic phonetic system (that currently works in my wife's car) will work alongside the manual entry system that you and other posters have employed.
I'm reluctant to just try it as I don't want to lose the current functionality by messing with the system.
Mike
Old 02-23-2006, 07:55 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 330xi
I have a Treo 700w (Verizon).

Yes I saved all of the names/numbers into voice command memory "manually" by speaking the names.
Old 02-23-2006, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raindog
I have a Treo 700w (Verizon).

Yes I saved all of the names/numbers into voice command memory "manually" by speaking the names.
OK. I see, no hybrid. Thanks.
While the proceudre you describe may just solve the voicemail issue, I frankly don't have the b*lls to tinker with a sytem that ain't really broke. I just don't want to lose the functionality she currently has.
Thanks, though, for the info.
Mike